Israeli Skating News

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Given what she went through to get Lithuanian citizenship, Tobias already knows it's not a given or automatically easy to gain other citizenships.

Vagabond

I am astonished to discover that they apparently told Tatjana Falde back in 2015 that they hoped to represent Israel in the 2018 Olympics. :wall:

https://goldenskate.com/2015/10/isabella-tobias-and-ilia-tkachenko/

One would think that someone would have pointed out a few cold, hard facts after the interview was published, if not before.

Still, they can take solace from this:

[Tobias said,]“I almost stopped skating, I was so upset. But I think everything works out the way it is supposed ]o.”

“Everything happens for a reason,” agreed Tkachenko.

:barrel

Vagabond

So Tankova/Zilberberg officially gets the ice dance berth?

According to an untrustworthy source:
Tina Karapetyan / Simon Proulx-Senecal may be granted the opportunity to participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Armenian figure skating federation president Melanya Stepanyan has said, according to the National Olympic Committee.

In early December, the pair will compete at the Golden Spin of Zagreb, which is part of the ISU Challenger Series and a qualifying competition ahead of the Olympics.

According to Stepanyan, Tina and Simon may make it to Pyeongchang as the pair representing Israel who had qualified for the Olympic games have not submitted an application for participation yet.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/249353/]Armenian figure skating pair might still make it to PyeongChang 2018

:wall:

There is so much wrong in those three paragraphs that I don't know where to begin. Perhaps, however, Tankova hasn't dug up that all-important Jewish grandparent.

Tobias & Zilberberg, anyone?

:watch:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am also curious whether the problem is the citizenship or IOC, who didn't let Tamar Katz compete at the Olympics. AFAIK Tankova/Zilberberg and Krasnopolski/whoeverHeSkatesWith would fall under the same category of `underachievers' as far as the IOC is concerned.

RoseRed

Am also curious whether the problem is the citizenship or IOC, who didn't let Tamar Katz compete at the Olympics. AFAIK Tankova/Zilberberg and Krasnopolski/whoeverHeSkatesWith would fall under the same category of `underachievers' as far as the IOC is concerned.
By IOC do you mean Israeli Olympic Committee?

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
According to an untrustworthy source:
http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/249353/]Armenian figure skating pair might still make it to PyeongChang 2018
:wall:
There is so much wrong in those three paragraphs that I don't know where to begin. Perhaps, however, Tankova hasn't dug up that all-important Jewish grandparent.
Tobias & Zilberberg, anyone?
:watch:

But the first reserve for ice dance is Lithuania then Armenia

I know Reed/Ambrulevicius wont be able to get citizenship for her but Lithuania has another ice dance couple right?

Dobre

I know Reed/Ambrulevicius wont be able to get citizenship for her but Lithuania has another ice dance couple right?

Yes. Damuleviciute & Kizala earned their senior Olympic minimum scores, and per their ISU bios, they were both born in Lithuania.

Vagabond

Israel has a berth in the Olympic Ice Dance competition and can send any couple it wants if that couple meets the eligibility requirements. As far as the IOC is concerned, that spot does not have Tankova & Zilberberg's names on it until Israel says it does. Beyond that, if I were calling the shots for the Israeli Olympic Committee or the Israeli Federation, I would try to figure out some way of having an Ice Dance couple for the Team Event. If Tankova cannot compete, then Tobias is the obvious alternative.

I would expect Israel to send Tankova & Zilberberg, but this is Israel we're talking about, so who knows what to expect.

J

Jeschke

Bychenko IG story referring to Golden spin as 'Golden Spin in my career'; retirement after olympics?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
According to the rink facebook Tankova/Zilberberg made it to Holon and are skating.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:
Reactions: fan

reut

Yes, Artem was at the rink today, watching and socializing with others, looked happy enough. According to Irina Chait he had problems with dislocated shoulder, got treatment in Wingate Institute (Israel's National Center for Physical Education and Sport), is almost OK now and in two weeks will be back to training in US.

According to Roman Serov (who coaches Bychenko) this is going to be last competitive season for Alexei. He had some problems with his back and, well, he is not very young. He can't continue for one more season only, as sponsors(?) request commitment for the full Olympic cycle only. They were a bit upset about Alexei's result in Paris, if only he could do a bit better to be on the podium, he could be first alternate and got to GPF, this could be a very nice "touch" for his last season.

Daniel is recovering from injury, he didn't compete but he will skate tomorrow at the Olympic gala/presentation of the Olympic team.

reut

Also, according to :sekret:, Tobias/Tkanchenko indeed withdrew from Grand Prix when they understood they won't be able to go to Olympics. Ofc, at that point they couldn't care less that Israel might not get into the Team event. Luckily for Team Israel it wasn't needed in the end, although one of the reasons Alexei went to Golden Spin was to get more points (?? were they really counted? hm... not sure, I'm still very much confused about those calculations... btw would be interesting to count how many of those points were gained by Alexei only)

skatingguy

decently
Also, according to :sekret:, Tobias/Tkanchenko indeed withdrew from Grand Prix when they understood they won't be able to go to Olympics. Ofc, at that point they couldn't care less that Israel might not get into the Team event. Luckily for Team Israel it wasn't needed in the end, although one of the reasons Alexei went to Golden Spin was to get more points (?? were they really counted? hm... not sure, I'm still very much confused about those calculations... btw would be interesting to count how many of those points were gained by Alexei only)
Golden Spin wouldn't give anybody points towards the Team Event. Maybe the reason that he competed was to get more points for his individual ranking in order to get a better starting position for the Olympics. Those are the points that could be earned at Golden Spin. For the Team Event, Israel's total points were around 1521 and Alexei earned 789 of those points for finishing in the top 10 at World's and winning a bronze medal on the Grand Prix circuit.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I know this is Chait, but I hope that Tobias/Zilberberg are a running joke that I missed along the way.

I'm sure she could learn Tankova's choreography in time, but there is that pesky issue of having to earn TES minimums by the 29 January deadline, and the only qualifying Dance competitions left are:
  • Istanbul Bosphorous Cup (this weekend)
  • Euros, in which they couldn't compete without the mininums
  • Bavarian Open (Sr. Dance FD is 28 January)
CS and international points don't count towards the Team Event, only championships (Worlds, or, if none earned, then Euros/4C's, or, if none earned, JWC) + GP/GPF (or, if none earned, at JGP).

However, WS points count for start orders, and by earning 270 points (CS points for 2nd place), Bychenko earned 95 incremental points. (You can only count four events worth of points, and he dropped 175 and added 270.)

If he had won Golden Spin, the extra 30 points would have made him 7th in WS, ahead of Chan. The Top Six are as close to shoo-ins as possible, if healthy: Hanyu, Uno, Fernandez, Kolyada, Chen, and Jin, and Bychenko couldn't catch Jin through any result at Golden Skate. Even if he hadn't competed and Brown and Rippon skated lights out at GPF and passed him and both make the US Olympic team, he still would be in the penultimate starting group at the Olympics, because neither Voronov (even with a GPF win) nor Samarin could have passed him mathematically.

Had he scored 252+ -- his PB is 255+ -- he could have made the Challenger Series Top Three.

Last edited:

reut

Thanks, skatingguy! Me too, I thought that wasn't exactly right what :sekret: told me about Golden Spin points.
So, more than a half are thanks to Alexei, impressive. He certainly did A LOT for Israeli skating.

reut

I know this is Chait, but I hope that Tobias/Zilberberg are a running joke that I missed along the way.

Well, today Zilberberg still skated with Tankova. ;)

One more funny thing, Shira Ichilov was the most popular with Israeli media today because she is the only one at the more or less top level who actually speaks Hebrew. :DAnd as Israeli TV people don't really know how skating competition goes (and also could get anywhere as everything is wide open) they asked her questions -pushing that big "fluffy" microphone into her face - when she was stepping on the ice, was trying to warm up, when she left the ice before she could even put her skate guards on, etc.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It's a joke I started when Tobias/Tkachenko first teamed up. I don't believe it will ever be more than a joke. Though Tankova/Zilberberg at the Olympics is a Shtork/Rand level joke.

Debbie S

Though Tankova/Zilberberg at the Olympics is a Shtork/Rand level joke.
So Tankova/Zilberberg will be able to go? She has citizenship?

I hope Ichilov and partner stay together through Beijing. That's a team with potential.

Reactions: fan

3T3T

I’m disappointed for T/T. Will we see them at Europeans or Worlds or are they done competing? I’m surprised T/Z have the minimums, I’ve always thought there scores are extremely low.

Dobre

I’m disappointed for T/T. Will we see them at Europeans or Worlds or are they done competing? I’m surprised T/Z have the minimums, I’ve always thought there scores are extremely low.

The Olympic minimums are low. They are the same minimums as for 4CCs & Europeans. In 2016, Friend & Badaoui of Australia were essentially last in every junior competition they entered. (2nd to last at Junior Worlds among all the teams who competed in the SD there). But F&B had the minimums for 4CCs.

The Worlds minimums are much higher and tougher to obtain in dance, especially in the SD. (In 2016, there were senior teams that qualified for the FD at senior worlds that did not earn the world minimum score there). Tankova & Zilberberg do not have the Worlds minimums. Neither does the young Lithuanian team that would likely be next in line to replace them if T&Z didn't go to the Olympics. The next dance team in line that has the citizenship to compete at the Olympics and actually has the Worlds TES is Garabedian and Proulx-Senecal, though they did not achieve that Worlds TES SD minimum score in their last competition of Golden Spin. But all of these teams are well above the Olympic minimum.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I don't expect to see Tobias compete again unless she can figure out a way to compete under the Olympic flag. If she didn't care enough to skate at the GP event, she's not going to bother with Europeans or Worlds. It was all about the Olympics for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information