Is Michelle Kwan underrated

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
I know she is highly praised but I don't think she gets nearly the respect she deserves. She not only won 5 world titles but she could have easily won 8 or 9 and 3 Olympic Golds when you think about it.

95 worlds- most believes he should have won.

97 worlds- would have won without her mistake in the short program.

2004 worlds- would have won with her Nationals performances.

She probably could have maybe won 1 of either the 99 or 2002 worlds even if things had gone differently for her.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
One other thing to consider is Christine Brennan, the most highly respected, knowledgable, and revered expert in U.S skating history said Kwan should have won both the 95 and 97 worlds, even with her mistakes at the 97 worlds. Based on that info alone we can safely say she deserved atleast 7 world titles. She mentioned this specifically in her book.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Sometimes you really try too hard.

Do you deny that. Remember at one point the USFSA who were jealous of her popularity amongst fans and experts, being the most respected voice in the sport tried to ban her. There was such an outcry from fellow writers, commentators, skaters, fans, since she was so hugely popular and respected the USFSA were embarassingly forced to drop their ban after a few months. This happened in the spring of 96, I can even link articles proving this if you don't recall.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Do you deny that. Remember at one point the USTA who were jealous of her popularity amongst fans and experts, being the most respected voice in the sport tried to ban her. There was such an outcry from fellow writers, commentators, skaters, fans, since she was so hugely popular and respected the USTA were embarassingly forced to drop their ban after a few months. This happened in the spring of 96, I can even link articles proving this if you don't recall.

What’s the USTA?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Do you deny that. Remember at one point the USFSA who were jealous of her popularity amongst fans and experts, being the most respected voice in the sport tried to ban her. There was such an outcry from fellow writers, commentators, skaters, fans, since she was so hugely popular and respected the USFSA were embarassingly forced to drop their ban after a few months. This happened in the spring of 96, I can even link articles proving this if you don't recall.

It appears that you actually can even try harder.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
No this thread is about how underrated she is. And how unlucky she was in her career.
Well, Michelle may be unlucky on the planet you came from. Did you come through a stargate or something? Anyway, on this planet, she has 5 World titles which is more than any other female skater ever won, 9 national titles, was a silver medalist at the 98 Olympics, a bronze medalist at the 2002 Olympics.

In 2006, the US Secretary of State appointed Michelle Kwan as the first US Diplomacy Envoy. In 2010, President Obama appointed Michelle to the President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition, advising the President on ways to engage, empower and educate all Americans to lead active, healthy lifestyles.

Sorry she was so unlucky on your parallel universe. Be careful on your way back through that stargate, and stay safe. :)

bardtoob

Kwan is just rated, neither underrated nor overrated :D

She was born with some talent and paired it with good basic training and consistent work, which resulted in stable results.

Luck could have changed an Olympic Silver or Olympic Bronze to Olympic Gold, but luck is bestowed by fate.

antmanb

No idea why you would show me such a silly thread.

Because, JudgeJudy, we can all see your pseuds coming a mile away, so to spell it totally out for anyone else reading this thread. One of your pseuds started the original over-rated thread that Sylvia linked, and now you, another JudgeJudgy pseud, have started this one saying she is under-rated. Thus proving that you are indeed a troll who is just looking for a reaction.

And now i've called you out on it i expect you will follow your usual pattern of sending puerile expletive laden insults to me in a PM and i can report them and get you banned again.

ETA: too late it's already been banned :lol:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Because, JudgeJudy, we can all see your pseuds coming a mile away, so to spell it totally out for anyone else reading this thread. One of your pseuds started the original over-rated thread that Sylvia linked, and now you, another JudgeJudgy pseud, have started this one saying she is under-rated. Thus proving that you are indeed a troll who is just looking for a reaction.

And now i've called you out on it i expect you will follow your usual pattern of sending puerile expletive laden insults to me in a PM and i can report them and get you banned again.

ETA: too late it's already been banned :lol:

Thank you!!!!!

LarrySK8

Is she underrated? NO WAY! She won many times because she skated beautiful programs and has been recognized as being a beautiful, artistic skater who did very good jumps.

Greatest jumper? No. Greatest spinner? No. Greatest footwork? No. Great presentation and beauty? Yes. But the greatest? No.

Underrated? No way! She has plenty of accolades and titles.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
She’s the total package, period. Right up there with Yuna Kim

Marco

95 Worlds I wouldn't give her the title, but definitely a medal ahead of Surya. I think going 1-2-3 with Lulu, Michelle and Nicole or especially Lulu, Nicole and Michelle would have been fine. Surya had mistakes in both programs and were very rough.

97 Worlds she could have the title if one more judge put Vanessa ahead of Tara in the short. As it was, both the short and free were judged very tightly. I would have given Michelle the win for that competition, but momentum dictated otherwise.

99 Worlds - the fall in the short almost didn't matter because even if she hadn't fallen and been in control of her destiny, her lacklustre free would still have lost to Maria. Silver was exactly what she deserved.

02 Worlds - she paid the price for the mistake in the short but I would actually have her win the free. Still silver though.

04 Worlds - she lost momentum on a weaker qualifying skate and an overtime in the short, but the judging for Miki and even Shizuka with the cheated 3/3 were also suspect in both QR and SP. Michelle deserved the bronze but not higher.

05 Worlds - probably deserved bronze.

syzygy

Underrated? No.
Overrated? Potentially but imo no.

Just 10 to 15 years ago people wouldn't shut up about her. So many people regard her as perfect and the greatest of all time. Explain to me how that's underrated?

Fiero425

One other thing to consider is Christine Brennan, the most highly respected, knowledgeable, and revered expert in U.S skating history said Kwan should have won both the '95 and '97 Worlds, even with her mistakes at the '97 Worlds. Based on that info alone we can safely say she deserved at least 7 world titles. She mentioned this specifically in her book.

Was it the book that put Brennan "on the outs" for a while since she was so brutally honest how many skaters and coaches had become ill and died from AIDS? The exposing of sexual abuse on the tour rocked the sport as well the last couple years! I bought "Inside Edge," but there's honesty, then there's HONESTY!" I seem to recall the skating community was a bit PO'd and sorta banned her from things for about a year back in mid 90's! Anybody? :2faced:

gotoschool

My hand slipped with an oversensitive laptop keyboard and accidentally sent a message I was debating on sending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information