In-depth interview with Zahra Lari (UAE)

Orm Irian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwo4ZYdrZWQ

Anas Bukhash of #ABTalks has just posted a long, in-depth interview with the UAE skater Zahra Lari which gives a lot of insight into her life and inspiration, her training and her experience as both a hijabi skater and one from a country with very little in the way of support for a sport such as figure skating.

I'm thrilled to hear that she's aiming to make the minimums for Four Continents this season, having reached her previous goal of the Winter Universiade in 18-19 season, but it's a shame to hear that lack of funding/support might derail her dream (though she's had some promotional support from Nike lately - I hope that translates into sponsorship!). I do wish there more were ways for skaters from smaller federations and less usual backgrounds to get financial support to train and compete, though...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwo4ZYdrZWQ

Anas Bukhash of #ABTalks has just posted a long, in-depth interview with the UAE skater Zahra Lari which gives a lot of insight into her life and inspiration, her training and her experience as both a hijabi skater and one from a country with very little in the way of support for a sport such as figure skating.

I'm thrilled to hear that she's aiming to make the minimums for Four Continents this season, having reached her previous goal of the Winter Universiade in 18-19 season, but it's a shame to hear that lack of funding/support might derail her dream (though she's had some promotional support from Nike lately - I hope that translates into sponsorship!). I do wish there more were ways for skaters from smaller federations and less usual backgrounds to get financial support to train and compete, though...

What a fabulous interview. She seems to be a remarkable young woman. Her respect for her parents and family is astounding. Really admire her and her parents.

Here is something I don't understand. I understand the being covered is to conform to Muslim standards of modesty. Totally get that. Totally understand that. I don't understand how skating costumes which are form fitting conform to the standards of modesty.

VenusH.

She is a skater that I always enjoy watching, although she is not as technically skilled as the top ladies. But I enjoy her aesthetic and the way she enjoys doing what she does. She does have some talent, I hope she finds a way to work on her skating and achieve more.

Eislauffan

Unfortunately I don't see her getting the minimum score for 4 Conts.
Her personal best TES in the SP is 12.90 (the minium is 23.00) and her best TES in the FS is 21.20 (the minimum is 40.00). She is not even close.

Orm Irian

Unfortunately I don't see her getting the minimum score for 4 Conts.
Her personal best TES in the SP is 12.90 (the minium is 23.00) and her best TES in the FS is 21.20 (the minimum is 40.00). She is not even close.

Doesn't mean she can't aim for them, and maybe make them in a future season instead. She has a 3S that she's landed in competition; if she can build on that to get a 3-2combination as well she has as good a chance as anyone, and if there's one thing the interview makes clear, she's willing to take time to build her skills and achieve her goals.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Lovely interview!

Something about the way she speaks and laughs really reminds me of Kaetlyn Osmond

Japanfan

Here is something I don't understand. I understand the being covered is to conform to Muslim standards of modesty. Totally get that. Totally understand that. I don't understand how skating costumes which are form fitting conform to the standards of modesty.

I agree. Does Zahra wear form-fitting costumes? (I don't want to watch the whole video). I really can't imagine any other kind of costume, though there have been some for show skating. And I remember Perkova skating to 'Pirates of the Caribbean' in a pair of baggy shorts. . .and a skater (Anette Toth? sp?) wearing pants for an ACDC program. Probably not the type of program that would work for Zahra.

Now I've got an image of a woman FS in a burka stuck in my mind. :eek:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I agree. Does Zahra wear form-fitting costumes? (I don't want to watch the whole video). I really can't imagine any other kind of costume, though there have been some for show skating. And I remember Perkova skating to 'Pirates of the Caribbean' in a pair of baggy shorts. . .and a skater (Anette Toth? sp?) wearing pants for an ACDC program. Probably not the type of program that would work for Zahra.

Zahra wears totally form fitting costumes.

Orm Irian

She does wear quite form-fitting costumes, but usually with heavier (and darker) tights than most female skaters, longer and more layered skirts, and long sleeves (never sheer ones; in fact most of the fabrics of her costumes are a bit heavier than the ones other skaters use). She also wears a specifically-made sports hijab that matches each costume, rather than an everyday one like the one she wears in the video. You can see a good example of her costumes here (her Winter Universiade SP - even just the first few sections will give you a good look at the outfit).

Despite this, she has received a lot of hostile criticism and even threats in the past for wearing 'immodest' clothing on the ice, though thankfully that seems to have been confined to YouTube comment sections rather than anything more direct.

And yes, it was Ivett Toth who wore the pants and vest outfit for her AC/DC SP in the Olympic season, but then, what else would you wear to skate to the Dacca? :) I would love to see more women skating in pants - real pants, not catsuits - but it doesn't seem to have taken off.

Seerek

It's disappointing that the ISU and the IOC can't come up with some "Continental Quota" berths for representatives from other regions of the world (I know that they've stuck with the same # of quotas since 1998). The Ski Federation for cross-country and alpine ski have done better in this regard, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information