Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

airgelaal

Olga Kharlan's reaction

And another interesting comment from her
I can say that it was all premeditated. In my opinion, this decision was planned a long time ago, and they knew how to do it. The International Fencing Federation will do everything possible so that representatives of Russia and Belarus can go to the competition. They will change the competition venues, if these fencers cannot go there

Baby Yoda On Skates

I was watching the FIE decision to make sure that USAFencing did indeed vote against allowing Russian and Belorussian athletes to compete. I'm disappointed that FIE is so corrupt as to change their minds to lift the ban when nothing has changed.

airgelaal

A few words about innocent neutral athletes from russia.
Further, the story of how the Olympic champion asked her followers to attack a 17-year-old fencer from Georgia. Just because a Georgian girl supported Ukraine. There are screenshots of stories in English

The girl's name is Yeva Ahamian. She was born in Ukraine but moved to Georgia and represents this country. Here are the highlights of the whole story from her instagram

Surprisingly, Yana decided to celebrate her “victory” by bullying a minor. If she really wanted to show her face, she could have chosen any adult. I guess that with the return of russian athletes to competitions, we will hear such stories more and more often.

Last edited:

airgelaal

Ukraine's Tsurenko withdraws from match against Belarusian Sabalenka. Her reasons. And I'm not even shocked anymore

- The reason for the refusal was a panic attack. Officially it will be written "personal reasons", but in fact it is breathing problems and, one might say, hysteria.

I had a conversation with our WTA CEO Steve Simon a few days ago and I was absolutely shocked by what I heard. He told me that he himself does not support the war, but if the players from Russia and Belarus support it, then this is only their own opinion, and the opinion of other people should not upset me. At the same time, he noted that if this happened to him and he were in my place, he would feel terrible.

In addition, he expressed confidence that the Russians and Belarusians will return to the Olympics, and said that this will happen exactly as it is happening now in tennis. He also said that "fair play" and Olympic principles were not violated, but on the contrary. The very fact that they will perform at the Olympics will show that these principles work, that everyone is equal and everyone has the opportunity to perform there. When asked if he understood that he was telling me this during the active phase of Russian military aggression in my country, he said yes, and this was his opinion.

Only the players from our group, with whom we are constantly in touch, know about my conversation with Steve, Elina knows. Everyone is also shocked. We asked for a conference call with the WTA Board of Directors to discuss how someone like Steve Simon can be a leader in the WTA and what we should do about it. How can we further understand that our organization somehow protects our rights. I just don't understand how it happened in this world that such things need to be explained. It is very strange and very painful.

Sylvia

TBD
Ukraine's Tsurenko withdraws from match against Belarusian Sabalenka. Her reasons. And I'm not even shocked anymore
Poland's Iga Swiatek at the major tennis tournament in Indian Wells, CA :respec::
“There is a lot of tension in the locker room," said Swiatek following her last-16 win over Emma Raducanu.
"Obviously, it's going to be there because there is a war. But maybe it would be a little bit less if the WTA put some action at the beginning to kind of explain to everybody what is right and what is not.
"I totally understand why she [Tsurenko] withdrew. I respect the Ukrainian girls so much because if a bomb landed in my country or if my home was destroyed, I don't know if I could handle that.
"I feel there should be done a little bit more to help Ukrainian players because I feel like everything we discuss in tennis is more about Belarusian and Russian players and if they should be allowed.
"I don't think that's right because we should focus more on helping Ukrainian players and providing them everything that they need. They basically have to take care of like all their families, and there's a lot of baggage on their shoulders."
Swiatek, who wears a Ukrainian flag on her cap during matches, was also critical of Russian player Anastasia Potapova for wearing a Spartak Moscow football shirt ahead of her loss to Jessica Pegula at Indian Wells.
"To be honest, I was surprised," she said.
"I thought the player realised that she should not, even if she is a fan of the team, show her views in this way at such times.
“I've talked to the WTA, and in a way I found out that there should be less such situations because they will explain to other players that you can't promote any Russian teams these days, which reassured me a bit.
"On the other hand, I think these situations unfortunately happen because this announcement should have taken place much earlier. There was a lot of chaos in the locker room at the beginning of the war.
"It was not clear how to approach everything, which causes such unpleasant situations. I think if there had been better leadership from the beginning, maybe we would have avoided such situations."

airgelaal

The Executive Committee of the German Fencing Federation informed the World Fencing Federation FIE today that the World Cup in women's foil planned for the first weekend in May in Tauberbischofsheim will not be held

As before, our solidarity is with the people in Ukraine who are suffering from the war of aggression. The German Fechter-Bund accepts the decision of last Friday. We now want to give a clear signal that we would have liked a different result and that there are still a number of open implementation questions from the world association, which is holding a tournament to make impossible. Accordingly, a later decision about admission would have been the only right way

Vagabond

I suppose that the FIE and IOC have many members who use the 1980 Moscow Olympics as their measuring stick and expect that any boycotts would have limited effect. A lot has changed in the past forty-two years, and, as I have said before, there is no reason to expect that France will complacently allow athletes, coaches, and officials to enter the country on a Russian passport for Paris 2024.

alexikeguchi

I suppose that the FIE and IOC have many members who use the 1980 Moscow Olympics as their measuring stick and expect that any boycotts would have limited effect. A lot has changed in the past forty-two years, and, as I have said before, there is no reason to expect that France will complacently allow athletes, coaches, and officials to enter the country on a Russian passport for Paris 2024.
And now if Putin wants to come, he risks arrest.

airgelaal

The World Athletics Council has reaffirmed the decision it originally made in March 2022, to exclude Russian and Belarusian athletes, support personnel, Member Federation officials and officials who are citizens of those two countries from all World Athetics Series events for the foreseeable future. :respec:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The World Athletics Council has reaffirmed the decision it originally made in March 2022, to exclude Russian and Belarusian athletes, support personnel, Member Federation officials and officials who are citizens of those two countries from all World Athetics Series events for the foreseeable future. :respec:
Does support personnel include coaches? Because the ISU needs to do that too.

airgelaal

Hundreds of fencers issue plea to IOC over Russia, Belarus decision​

Hedwig

Antique member
In a way maybe this horrible decision from fencing was for the best after all because they now see the enormous reputation loss that they are gathering with it and how many are against this decision and are willing to boycott competitions or even cancel them (like the one competition in Germany) - so hopefully especially the IOC will FINALLY get the message into their money driven brains that the world does not want to support Putins propaganda machine.

millyskate

In a way maybe this horrible decision from fencing was for the best after all because they now see the enormous reputation loss that they are gathering with it and how many are against this decision and are willing to boycott competitions or even cancel them (like the one competition in Germany) - so hopefully especially the IOC will FINALLY get the message into their money driven brains that the world does not want to support Putins propaganda machine.
I can't help but feel it's more about Bach's personal friendships than anything else :fragile:

On My Own

Is there like dirt on Thomas Bach? I only know from the past year he is full of air, but wonder why he is the way he is?

Sylvia

TBD

On My Own

Bach is terrified of a boycott, a breakaway games led by Russia.
But I don't get why it matters. I don't see anyone but Russia and China being a part of this "breakaway game", and it already happened with the "collaboration event" last year, when China didn't even send any of its visible winter athletes to it. So basically I'm saying even China probably wouldn't, because it knows the big stage would still be the IOC-led Olympics. Why do the other NOCs not try to retaliate?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't think Bach realizes that most of the world would be fine if Russia "boycotts" and tries to drag other countries along. At best, those other countries would choose to participate in both events because the Olympics are where its at still. None of the other attempts at something like that have ever lasted very long, not even Ted Turner's Goodwill Games. Bach really is a toady and a fool.

skatingguy

decently
But I don't get why it matters. I don't see anyone but Russia and China being a part of this "breakaway game", and it already happened with the "collaboration event" last year, when China didn't even send any of its visible winter athletes to it. So basically I'm saying even China probably wouldn't, because it knows the big stage would still be the IOC-led Olympics. Why do the other NOCs not try to retaliate?
If you think of the Olympic movement as a religious organization, rather than a sporting organization, than Bach's behaviour makes more sense.

Vagabond

Bach seems to believe that there won't be a repetition of the boycott of the 1976 Summer Games prompted by the IOC's allowing New Zealand to participate. By any reasonable standard, Russia's invasion of Ukraine is worse than the All Blacks' tour of South Africa.

Dude needs to study history.

skatingguy

decently
Bach seems to believe that there won't be a repetition of the boycott of the 1976 Summer Games prompted by the IOC's allowing New Zealand to participate. By any reasonable standard, Russia's invasion of Ukraine is worse than the All Blacks' tour of South Africa.

Dude needs to study history.
He doesn't even have to look back that far - there was a boycott threat for the 2022 Paralympics after the initial decision was made to allow Russia & Belarus to compete, and the Paralympic Committee was forced to reverse their position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information