Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Dobre

I don't think Bach realizes that most of the world would be fine if Russia "boycotts" and tries to drag other countries along.
I doubt NBC realizes it either. They are used to covering the Olympics as a post-Cold War battle and are probably afraid that if the Russians don't show up, then the interest in watching & viewership will go down. I know there are some people here who feel the reverse and are certain they will not be watching the Olympics if the Russians compete. Time might not be wasted waging a campaign to let the station know now.

text_skate

What about the French boycotting their own Olympics? This could be leverage. IOC only understands the language of money. The only option is: not watching, so that the networks can't sell ads for $$$. Also boycotting the brands from all sponsors could be powerful.

The athletes can take part, get their medals and the funding that goes along with it. Every country can give them a splash welcome at home, but no airtime during the competition

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That doesn't stop Russian athletes from pushing out Ukrainian ones or forcing Ukrainians to compete against people who may have killed their relatives.

Asli

That doesn't stop Russian athletes from pushing out Ukrainian ones or forcing Ukrainians to compete against people who may have killed their relatives.

Exactly! For instance European indoors bronze medalist Kateryna Tabashnyk, whose mother was killed in a missile attack on Kharkiv, would be a direct rival of Mariya Lasitskene, who has been so indignant about her own exclusion from competition but apparently didn't deign to check if her long-standing Ukrainian friends were alive or dead after the start of the war. :rolleyes:

My skin crawls at this thought. :scream:

Vagabond

"Imposing a war has to have a clear consequence. Sport also has to take its responsibility," Danish lawmaker Mogens Jensen said, adding the "only one clear message to send" was excluding athletes.
It's like explaining the hard facts of life to a child, except that IOC members are adults.

airgelaal

The Ukrainian team lived in a hotel, which is located 300 meters from this house. Olympic medalist Lyudmila Luzan withdrew from the competition after suffering a mental breakdown.
Let's keep thinking about the poor Russian athletes and their rights.

And even after all these

The International Canoe Federation (ICF) board has made the decision to allow eligible Russian and Belarusian athletes who are not in support of their State’s actions in Ukraine to compete as individual neutral athletes.

airgelaal

Very neutral athletes from Russia will compete at the World Judo Championship. Ukrainian athletes will not be there.

Ukrainian judoka Vitaliy Parashchuk was buried this week. He died near Bakhmut. He was only 23. But who cares about his Olympic dreams. For the world, the Olympic dreams of the colleagues of those who killed him are more important.

airgelaal

That is why I repeated a million times that russian athletes do not oppose the war, not because they are afraid. They do not care. They sit very comfortably on two chairs. They receive money, awards and other bonuses from the state, and they are also welcomed by the rest of the world. How convenient it is to be a russian athlete. Maybe they should also be allowed to take doping? Maybe they are forced to take doping, but they do not want to? So we need to allow the russians to do whatever they want. Their rights are above all.

airgelaal

The Taekwondo Union of Russia's Executive Committee have included Olympic champion Maksim Khramtsov and Vladislav Larin in its list of participants for the upcoming World Taekwondo Championships in Baku

Another very neutral Russian athlete. I think the world will believe in his neutrality. Even despite this

airgelaal

russian fans are as neutral as their athletes
"They were spectators and they were asked to remove the items and they didn’t want to," a spokesperson from the IJF told insidethegames.

airgelaal

Incredible level of hypocrisy

Independent background checks were carried out on the delegation put forward by Russia and Belarus to ensure they had not publicly supported the invasion of Ukraine and were not affiliated with the military.

"The presence of the Russian athletes in the sport for me is proof that they keep distance from the war because they could choose to go to the war but they decided to stay in the sport, being part of our sport family, the judo family, and that’s the reason why they are welcome.

The Ukrainian Judo Federation (FJU) boycotted the World Judo Championships in protest of the IJF’s decision to readmit Russians and Belarusians.
"They are free to decide whatever they want. It’s up to them. We respect their decision"

Vizer also praised the Russians and Belarusians that competed as individual neutral athletes in Doha.

Arman Adamian captured the men’s under-100 kilograms title before fellow Russian Inal Tasoev sealed silver in the men’s over-100kg category.

"I feel the emotions of the Russian and [Belarusian] coming back," said Vizer.

A very neutral russian judoka. He must be praised.

airgelaal

To be honest, it seems to me that this is exactly what the IOC wants.
I don’t understand what the International Federations and the International Olympic Committee wants.
They want Olympics with Russia and Belarus but not Ukraine?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
To be honest, it seems to me that this is exactly what the IOC wants.

I don't think they care about Belarus. But they absolutely want Russia to be there no matter what the cost. Whether it be losing an entire country's athletes (in this case) or having an unfair playing field (Valieva's case in 2022), they just don't care as long as Russia is there.

Hedwig

Antique member

airgelaal

In my opinion, this is exactly what the whole world wants. And the world will achieve this if it does not stop looking for "good Russians"

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
RIA published several Russian female athletes with a slightly changed names ended up listed as Syrian athletes for Pan Arab games. According to RIA the athletes `have no idea' and one of them said she `was working in Syria helping the local athlets with the sparring and is already back to Russia'.
Am not even sure who is NOT lying there.

airgelaal

RIA published several Russian female athletes with a slightly changed names ended up listed as Syrian athletes for Pan Arab games. According to RIA the athletes `have no idea' and one of them said she `was working in Syria helping the local athlets with the sparring and is already back to Russia'.
Not only names, but also dates of birth :rolleyes:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
One is a gymnast with a newly registered FIG license for Syria. She was never on the Russian national team though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information