Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Before Ilia's 2nd GP in Espoo this week:

This Finnish article translates fairly well into English:
From the end:

:D @IDC a.k.a. Ritti :lol:

Olympics.com has posted a 3-minute video interview: https://olympics.com/en/video/ilia-malinin-i-still-can-t-believe-i-m-in-history
I think the part that amused me most in the Finnish article was that the arena sound operators are already prepared to turn the music volume up for Ilia if he lands another 4A.

skatfan

I think the part that amused me most in the Finnish article was that the arena sound operators are already prepared to turn the music volume up for Ilia if he lands another 4A.
Let’s hope the camera operators pull out enough to get his whole body in the frame! They’re not used to someone jumping that high!

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia attempted and landed his first quad flip (11 base value + 3.30 GOE = 14.3 points) in competition today, won the gold in Espoo (278.39 total), and has qualified for his first Grand Prix Final! :)

His opening 4A (hand down) was called 'q' so "only" 8.75 points today. ;)
His 2 highest scoring elements were 4T+1Eu+3S (18.31 pts) and 3F+3A+SEQ (16 pts; this combo previously was 3Lz+3A) in the second half of his FS.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
He is amazing. I love how he does those quads with such confidence. He believes he can do them, and then he does. When he hits his quads, he is untouchable. I will love to see him grow in maturity and artistry, he will be a skater for the ages.

Finnice

I just kept saying the same in Espoo. He is good now, but if he stays healthy, he can became one of the greats when his performing skills develope. He has it, I am sure. He is funny and intelligent off ice.

He also did get some Finnish chocolates!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article by Darci Miller (Dec. 6):
A month after Skate America, Malinin had his second Grand Prix assignment at the Grand Prix of Espoo in Finland. He won his second Grand Prix title despite an overuse injury to his left foot and removing all Lutzes from his programs.
Malinin says his foot is now feeling much better, which is fortunate, as his two wins qualified him for the ISU Grand Prix Final on Dec. 8-11 in Torino, Italy.
"I've always wanted to go to the Final, especially since these past years they've always been canceled or I wasn't able to make it," Malinin said. "It's all been such a journey. I'm just very excited to finally make the Final. I'm really hoping to deliver my best out there."
(Ilia had qualified in 1st place for last year's JGP Final before it was canceled.)

SkateFanBerlin

When Ilia came off ice he was wincing. His father asked him if he was OK in the way fathers do when they want a certain answer - in this case "yeah". I don't like parents as coaches/managers - too much chance of bias by the un-knowledgeable. (Remember when Danny signed a skate deal and Michelle spent the season on her butt?)

Agree with above comments to slow things down.

DreamSkates

When Ilia came off ice he was wincing. His father asked him if he was OK in the way fathers do when they want a certain answer - in this case "yeah". I don't like parents as coaches/managers - too much chance of bias by the un-knowledgeable. (Remember when Danny signed a skate deal and Michelle spent the season on her butt?)

Agree with above comments to slow things down.
Yes and give home time to learn how to compete in seniors on the international stage. More pressure and nerves to deal with.
I like Orser’s approach -small steps to the big goal.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

skatfan

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed that Ilia will be part of the Art on Ice shows in February: https://www.artonice.com/en/program/ilia-malinin/

I guess this means no Four Continents for him (same as Jason Brown) but at least another US man will get a shot at an ISU championship.
A little surprised he’s not going for the points at 4CCs, but since artistry is his big goal this year Art on Ice also makes sense.

clairecloutier

Is there a complete cast list for Art on Ice?

I must say, it's kind of a shame to have so many top Americans skip 4CCs in a year when we're hosting the competition. Although I know it's a chance for them to make money. :( Well, I suppose it opens opportunities for other American skaters to get the experience at 4CCs.

Sylvia

TBD
Just happened to come across this slo-mo clip of Ilia's Skate America 4A (filmed from a slightly different & higher angle in the audience) in Norwood: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkCsKXpuJtQ/
Here's someone else in the audience who filmed Ilia's 4A in Norwood: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkCwH4Tjqm_/
She tweeted the same clip with "Not sure what was better — Ilia landing the 4 axel or that the crowd just would not stop cheering for the next 30 seconds."): https://twitter.com/guttersniper/status/1584032767368916993

She also re-tweeted a longer fan cam clip, filmed from the opposite/judges' side, with this comment: https://twitter.com/guttersniper/status/1584174923496718339
RTing for the crowd reaction — the first “shock” wave of applause when he lands it, and then the second, blissed-out wave of acknowledgement. I don’t have that second wave on my vid because I put down my phone to cheer. I’m sure many others did the same.
ETA: Just realized the audio in the longer clip is out of synch...

Last edited:

Allskate

Yup, that’s it. I find it sickening, even though I’ve mostly supported Ilia. I’ve discussed elsewhere…a three-stop tour with Rag’n’Bones et al.
We get it. You're having a prolonged hissy fit about this. But, do you have to carry this over here and continue to beat this dead horse in this teenager's "fan" thread? Seriously?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
We get it. You're having a prolonged hissy fit about this. But, do you have to carry this over here and continue to beat this dead horse in this teenager's "fan" thread? Seriously?
Hey, I just discovered that Brezina used Rag’n’Bones’ music (“Human”). 🎶 A skating hit!

Apparently, Ilia’s name is no longer on the AoI list. 🎉

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information