Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

Sylvia

TBD
:eek::wideeyes:

^^^ From TV Tokyo's video footage posted on their YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNeTgDINQ4

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's Japan Open though. (He wasn't coached by Raf at Nationals 2022, either, IIRC)

I think he'll probably go for this layout here, and then drop two-three quads for the rest of the season. Health is important, and there are 4 seasons to Milan.
Agreed. I don't expect either the flip or the loop to be something he attempts most od the rest of the season. I can see him adding one quad per season (this season 4A, next season whichever of the loop or flip is more consistent, then the other one the following), and maybe adding in a second 4A or moving it to the bonus in 2025-26.

jlai

Question everything
I imagine he’s doing them all in practices as a test and to get into the heads of his competitors. That’s totally a Raf coaching move.
Yup. I don’t see him trying to actually compete with all of them at least not right away. He needs experience competing

skatfan

It's Japan Open though. (He wasn't coached by Raf at Nationals 2022, either, IIRC)

I think he'll probably go for this layout here, and then drop two-three quads for the rest of the season. Health is important, and there are 4 seasons to Milan.
Don’t be too sure. Raf has been part of Malinin’s team for a few years now, it doesn’t matter that he’s not at comps with him. Review what Chen did last year by including the 4-loop in practices when it was never part of the competition plan.

We’ll know soon enough!

skatfan

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Don’t be too sure. Raf has been part of Malinin’s team for a few years now, it doesn’t matter that he’s not at comps with him. Review what Chen did last year by including the 4-loop in practices when it was never part of the competition plan.

We’ll know soon enough!
It possibly is the intimidation factor that they are hoping for.

skatfan

So Ilia went with a 5-quad program as I anticipated. Smart kid, he did an amazing job just with that and scared all his competitors about what might come. He almost beat Shoma.

Last edited:

skatfan

Here's video of Ilia at the Japan Open. This channel also has videos of almost all other skaters:
Thanks for the link. Jason got a well-deserved standing ovation.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @clairecloutier! :) Her article on Ilia’s “press call this morning to talk about his preparations for Skate America & his season so far.”:

Reactions: tlk

livetoskate

Quoting Ilia’s Dad when he stepped off the ice after his free skate at SA, “WOW”!
It was such an exciting performance. Even though I was only watching on Peacock in my living room, I could hear the roar of the crowd after Ilia landed his quad axel. It was only then that I wish I'd been there to see his skating in person. Congratulations to Ilia and his parents!

orbitz

Unlike the other types of quad where multiple skaters were able to learn them relatively quickly, I think the 4Axel will belong to Ilia and only Ilia for quite a few years. I love that Ilia really jump up into the jump and not execute these tiny, rotating off the ice that so many skaters are doing on their 3As. Maybe the 4A should be named 'The Ilia', LOL.

The music and choreography for the LP could be more engaging. Thank goodness he got rid of the cartwheel from the JPN Open.

mtnskater

Ilia’s interview with Andrea after his win was adorable. I hope if you didn’t see it you can find it somewhere. He was so happy and amazed that he had pulled off the quad axel. He said after he landed it the crowd was so loud he couldn’t hear his music. He’s a very sweet and humble guy….just beyond adorable. I love how he acknowledged and waived to the crowd after his skate. I thought it would be another generation before the U.S. had another Nathan Chen level of talent but here he is already. I don’t expect him to win everything in sight because the Japanese guys are stiff competition. But if he keeps improving his second mark and getting more consistent like Nathan did, he just might.

Karen-W

To me he seemed less taxed than the other top competitors. But he didn’t have to fly half way around the world to compete so that could have been a factor. But so so so exciting to see him win and with all those quads!
Apart from Miura, which of the guys in the top 5 was flying halfway around the world to get to SkAm? Cha and Sadovsky both train in the Toronto area, right? And Daniel was skating at his new home club. Daniel probably had the luxury of sleeping in his own bed every night of this competition, lol.

I think Ilia is just an extremely well-trained and conditioned, young athlete. And he did look like he exerted a lot of energy at the end of his program - he was definitely sweating by the time he took his bows.

ANS4JBS

I thought Ilia deserves his own fan thread here. Here is a cute video of him in a Yuzuru Hanyu-like costume from 2018. My nephew is probably in the same grade as Ilia in the same town so I need to ask him if he knows Ilia!

My fan video of the end of his FS at nationals recently:

Interview with Dave Lease of The Skating Lesson:

The mom in me worries whether Ilian's at parents even send him to school. I hope they give him time for education. That quad axel was spectacular! I hope they let him have a life outside skating. I know, not my business, it just worries me wtih some of these young skaters that seem so singularly focused.

Karen-W

Why are you quoting the question about Ilia's education? It's well-reported that he attends a public high school in Fairfax County. He has a hybrid schedule, but spends about 3-4 hours every day on campus and in classes.

livetoskate

I didn't make that comment about his education, btw. I know he goes to public school around Fairfax, as my nephews and friend's daughters also go to schools near Ilia's. They don't know him but have definitely heard of him. :)

mtnskater

Why are you quoting the question about Ilia's education? It's well-reported that he attends a public high school in Fairfax County. He has a hybrid schedule, but spends about 3-4 hours every day on campus and in classes.
I also think that’s why in part he hasn’t relocated to train with RAF in California, because he is in high school in D.C. area and wants to finish his education there. He seems very grounded and in a close family.

screech

That 4A was sublime. It's amazing to me that there's absolutely no 'muscling' through it, no caution (like Sadovsky), no 'toe pick' stop at the take-off (Like Cha) - he just goes through it like it's anything else. And it looks easier than a large number of skaters' triple axels!

Sylvia

TBD
Before Ilia's 2nd GP in Espoo this week:

This Finnish article translates fairly well into English:
From the end:
The skater who lands in Finland on Wednesday of the competition week plans to show the public his best.
- I want my skating to be fun to watch, to offer people great performances and a great feeling.

Malinin admits that he has a certain ritual before the competition. He eats a small snack that calms his nerves and gives him a little extra energy before going on the ice. He usually eats a piece of chocolate.
- They say Finnish chocolate is delicious. I'm really looking forward to tasting it!
:D @IDC a.k.a. Ritti :lol:

Olympics.com has posted a 3-minute video interview: https://olympics.com/en/video/ilia-malinin-i-still-can-t-believe-i-m-in-history

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information