Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
He has had stated he is practicing, and to include in a program. Not “for fun.” Welcome to competitive figure skating at the highest level where dangers lurks at every curve of the blade. See the post in ice dancing and comments about dangerous moves at SA. Nate’s lifting and holding Chock erect from one foot/ankle.
It doesn’t matter if he wants to include it in a (competitive) program. As I said, it’s not worth ANYTHING and won’t be worth anything unless the ISU adds it in the IJS 😂 so yes, it’s for fun. Unless he wants to score a 0 on a jumping element.

Welcome to.. the rule book I guess?

Last edited:

DreamSkates

It doesn’t matter if he wants to include it in a (competitive) program. As I said, it’s not worth ANYTHING and won’t be worth anything unless the ISU adds it in the IJS 😂 so yes, it’s for fun. Unless he wants to score a 0 on a jumping element.

It is entirely possible a quint jump will be added to the rule book.

tony

It is entirely possible a quint jump will be added to the rule book.
Not any time soon, and quite possibly never. Not for one athlete that ‘might’ start working on it. The women can’t even do a quad in the short yet and we’ve seen actual success with that. The rules (at least one this big) for 2026 Olympic season have to be changed at the Congress following Worlds this year.

Sylvia

TBD
From Skate Info Glace's article linked above:
About the value of the quad Axel

Ilia : It makes more sense to do triple axels because the quad Axel's base value is not where it should be. I sometimes take that risk and go for it, not just for the added reward you get for GOE but also for the audience because that's my signature move. Everyone wants to see it. I keep practicing it, and hopefully, I'll add the quad Axel in the long program later in the season.

Allskate

From Skate Info Glace's article linked above:
On TSL the other night, someone said that Ari Zakarian told them that Ilia didn't do the quad axel at Skate America in order to push for a change in the base value of the quad axel.

DreamSkates

Not any time soon, and quite possibly never. Not for one athlete that ‘might’ start working on it. The women can’t even do a quad in the short yet and we’ve seen actual success with that. The rules (at least one this big) for 2026 Olympic season have to be changed at the Congress following Worlds this year.
Following Worlds did you mean 2024? I’m not assuming anything either way as far as changed rules but it’s still a possibility until it isn’t.

tony

Following Worlds did you mean 2024? I’m not assuming anything either way as far as changed rules but it’s still a possibility until it isn’t.
Yes, they would have to be changed following the upcoming Worlds in order to be in place for the 2026 Olympics.

It's not going to happen that soon... if ever.

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia seems to have a good attitude/perspective :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CzPycQTLfAp/

Post-FS mixed zone quotes as transcribed by Golden Skate: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzPAEAAIVQz/

“It was a bit complicated, I was a bit out of the zone today and not sure how it was gonna go but I am quite happy with my skate. My main goal here was to qualify to the final.

The quad Axel would have been a huge risk as with negative GOE my score would have been even lower than now. So it never was an option to put it in order to beat Adam.“

“I knew that Adam had delivered amazingly and it did make me a bit nervous, but I think I handled my nerves quite well.”

“It was a great competition with great competitors, that have improved so much. It motivates me to push myself to get even better.

On watching his competitors before he skates:

“It doesn’t really bother me to watch them. I just like watch skating in general and the beauty of skating. I enjoy learning and getting a lot of inspiration by watching them!”

ETA - I like this photo from the presser: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1720498786550563289
]Ilia: Adam and I have a similar mindset to create cool elements that as unique and that the audience want to see. I love that Adam also tries to bring something new to our sport.
Adam: Ilia said everything. We want to bring something new - Not by the jumps but something else. We won’t see the Salto during the GP, as I try to qualify for the GP Final!”

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

I don't subscribe to Peacock and am just seeing Ilia's performances now, so I am somewhat belated in saying how impressed I am with his progress over the past year. He always had unbelievable elements but in my opinion didn't really build on his very solid basics, especially his good carriage, to generate much impact. I honestly found his skating pretty boring other than the jumps of course. I am so glad that he took constructive criticism to heart, sought out the input of a gifted choreographer, and is showing great commitment to performance quality. He hasn't been technically perfect this season, but I have enjoyed all his programs much more despite that. If he keeps on this trajectory, he will be an Olympic champion for the ages.

DreamSkates

It was interesting to see the gray box in his SP at the GPF for the 4A because according to the commentator, the judges didn’t know how to score that jump in a shirt program. Was that missing from the rule book? Fair question. The judges did assign points to the 4A in the SP. Could something similar happen if he includes a jump that isn’t in the rule book?

On My Own

It was interesting to see the gray box in his SP at the GPF for the 4A because according to the commentator, the judges didn’t know how to score that jump in a shirt program. Was that missing from the rule book? Fair question. The judges did assign points to the 4A in the SP. Could something similar happen if he includes a jump that isn’t in the rule book?
The TP misapplied the rule initially.

Quints don't have a BV. It doesn't matter if he jumps or not, invalid or not.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ilia and his mom with their GPF gold medals. :)

sk9tingfan

Just found this extraordinary youtube video filmed from the stands at the GP Final. It provides a different perspective on Ilia's FS and is commentary-free.

And the SP video from the same recorder!

orbitz

Ilia and his mom with their GPF gold medals. :)
The medal has certainly grown in size and luster. Even the ribbon attached to the medal is larger and prettier.

They both look great. Ilia looks tall on TV because of his long legs, but he isn't that much taller than his mom, whom i'm sure is probably only around 5'3" or so.

YukiNieve

A Japanese magazine, Figure Skating (issue 99), has a long and interesting interview with Tatiana Malinina (Ilia's mom). I don't have time to translate and since the interview was done by Ms. Flade, hopefully it will be published on the ISU website.

A few interesting tidbits:

• During the pandemic his rink was closed for 3 months and he really focused on off-ice training, which helped him master quads when he returned to the ice.
  • Ilia has been practicing 5T and 5S using harness.
  • 4A really requires focus and energy so much so that he told mom that when 4A was done, he felt the half of the program was over. Tatiana told him "why don't you stop jumping it (4A) in the program, then?" and Ilia replied "I want to do it for my fans."
  • Tatiana thinks that Ilia's sister, Elizaveta, has the same level of talent as Ilia does and may have better skating skills. She is 8 years old and has been practicing both singles and solo dance.

cheremary

Tatiana thinks that Ilia's sister, Elizaveta, has the same level of talent as Ilia does and may have better skating skills. She is 8 years old and has been practicing both singles and solo dance
Tatyana Malinina posted this video of Elizaveta skating recently:

alexikeguchi

... I am so glad that he took constructive criticism to heart, sought out the input of a gifted choreographer, and is showing great commitment to performance quality...
I just want to say again how much I am enjoying Ilia's performances this year. I think the collaboration with Shae-Lynn has been fantastic, and she seems to have helped him bring the natural hamminess that he displays in his quadg0d instagram into his programs. He has a true flare for drama and an obvious sense of humor that is really charming.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New interview in the Washington Post (gifted):

This era of American skating belongs to Malinin, yet it’s amazing to realize that for all his dominance he is still chipping away at something bigger, a perfection unattained. He felt good enough to land the quad axel Sunday but held back on other jumps and still won big.

“I always stick to what I know is good for the time,” he said. “If I were to feel really bad to a point where I can’t deliver at a show [and] if people come to see a quad axel and I can’t do that, I know [they might feel] hurt a little bit, but I always want to prioritize how I’m feeling and my health. [If] I go for it and it ends up really badly, then they won’t see it for another couple years."

He laughed as he said this, as if he understood the ridiculousness of talking so casually about a jump that terrifies other skaters — just as it was absurd to think that, on a day when he was just good, he was leaps and bounds better than everybody else.

There are some nice photos from during and after the free skate. There are also (very brief) quotes from Jason Brown and Sarah Everhardt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information