IF all ladies skated cleanly in Calgary '88 ....

LarrySK8

Very difficult with the magical "IF" - just to add in a little something - Anna Kondrashova had 5 triples with her 3 L just like Debi and is refined and beautiful. Ummmm - so did Ivanova, who also tried a 3lutz. Claudia had 4 different triples and could perform 6 in her LP, a la 1987 Europeans.

IF all skated cleanly - it appears to come down to artistic merit, and that could play out in many different ways based on who you support.

olympic

If Debi had skated the exact LP that she skated at U.S. Nationals she would have won and that was without one of the 3 sals.

Agreed. She hit the 3-3 and 3L. Based on the judging as it was that content might have wedged her between Manley and Witt which is what she needed to win

VGThuy

Sometimes, I think skaters make the judges’ jobs easy because if close fields were ever totally clean, there would be more :argue: and even more attention paid to the competency of judging.

bardtoob

On her best day, Debi had the 3toe, salchow, and loop. Which triple would have been her fourth? I never heard any talk of her having a 3flip or 3lutz.

So the story goes ...

There is an interview with The Manleywoman Skatecast where Debi said of her free skate, she and her coach had marked a spot for the triple flip in the early section of her routine. Not that it was ever included in major events, but she had landed it in a small competition that season in the short program. So in fact, Debi could have attempted six triple jumps if she needed.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Kira Ivanova was 1st after figures, and if she skated cleanly she could have done a lot of damage. Kira actually did attempt a 3Lz and 3Lp in Calgary. She had stalked a 3Lp for years in major competitons, sometimes just circling and circling and circling . . .

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If Debi had skated the exact LP that she skated at U.S. Nationals she would have won and that was without one of the 3 sals.

Debi was fantastic at Skate Canada in 1987 and the 1988 US Nationals.

Back then, without the political clout of a National title to back you up, Cadavy's fate in Calgary was pretty much sealed by her shaky third place finish in Denver.

It's quite ironic that out of the top five, she ended up having the longest and strongest professional career.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This reminds me of one of the many reasons I'm glad Loupolover now represents Bulgaria. For years, or at least a year, I was so irritated by "the guy from Azerbaijan" referring to Livnitsev. Justice for Larry.

His name makes me giggle. Larry Loupolover sounds like he should be a lounge singer from Reno.

Bellanca

Witt would have still won if all the ladies had clean programs. Now, if she had faltered, Thomas.

ETA: (skating) politics. For Witt to win consecutive gold medals, that was too appealing not to acknowledge. The judges knew this also.

Last edited:

Marco

Under IJS, Ito's 2loop3loop combo in the short would be given the same technial merit as a 3loop2loop that Kadavy did, very unfair. Incidentally she did have quite a lot of IJS elements in her short program and free skate - the difficult spins, the backloading, the transitions, the arm positions for the jumps etc.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Under IJS, Ito's 2loop3loop combo in the short would be given the same technial merit as a 3loop2loop that Kadavy did, very unfair. Incidentally she did have quite a lot of IJS elements in her short program and free skate - the difficult spins, the backloading, the transitions, the arm positions for the jumps etc.
Loved Ito's back outside counter (IIRC) entrance into the 2A in both the SP and LP.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Claudia Leistner's free skate and its 700 different music cuts is kind of trashy and fabulous at the same time. Even with her roller skating technique transferred to ice, she really went for it in Calgary.

Anna Kondrashova's long program set to 'Steinway Being Pushed Down Ten Flights Of Stairs - In A Flat' really grew on me as well.

I do miss the supermodel era of ladies' skating.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Claudia Leistner's free skate and its 700 different music cuts is kind of trashy and fabulous at the same time. Even with her roller skating technique transferred to ice, she really went for it in Calgary.

Anna Kondrashova's long program set to 'Steinway Being Pushed Down Ten Flights Of Stairs - In A Flat' really grew on me as well.

I do miss the supermodel era of ladies' skating.
Okay, just have to say that I recorded ABC's coverage of the Ladies FS from Calgary and watched it over and over again as a kid. In retrospect, outside of Ito and Manley it was a pretty horrible evening of skating (Thomas, Ivanova, were notably off that night), and my fave Jill Trenary was pretty underwhelming so I'm not sure why I felt the need to watch it over and over.

Kondrashova did have lovely port de bras, too bad she couldn't land the majority of her jumps. Really, most of the ladies that evening look like they overestimated their capabilities when it came to jump content.

Also, to be fair to Leistner, it was her West German teammate, @Jeschke's all time fave, Marina Kielmann who had the rollerskating pedigree.

jenny12

While I didn’t like Witt’s posing section, I loved Kondrashova’s dance break in the middle of her program which I know is probably hypocritical since it was basically the same thing. Those isolations though! 👑👑

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Okay, just have to say that I recorded ABC's coverage of the Ladies FS from Calgary and watched it over and over again as a kid. In retrospect, outside of Ito and Manley it was a pretty horrible evening of skating (Thomas, Ivanova, were notably off that night), and my fave Jill Trenary was pretty underwhelming so I'm not sure why I felt the need to watch it over and over.

Kondrashova did have lovely port de bras, too bad she couldn't land the majority of her jumps. Really, most of the ladies that evening look like they overestimated their capabilities when it came to jump content.

Also, to be fair to Leistner, it was her West German teammate, @Jeschke's all time fave, Marina Kielmann who had the rollerskating pedigree.

I'll need to dig up my copy of Sandra Stephenson's BBC Book of Skating, but according to Wikipedia, Claudia was in fact a roller skater before she switched to the ice. Her team mate in 1984, Manuela Ruben, was also a former roller skater.

I love that Marina competed in both sports at once, and I believe one year she placed second at the world roller skating championships.

It makes me wonder why more Italians (apart from Matteo Guarise), who dominate roller skating, don't switch.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

While I didn’t like Witt’s posing section, I loved Kondrashova’s dance break in the middle of her program which I know is probably hypocritical since it was basically the same thing. Those isolations though! 👑👑

Anna reminds me of the amazing Stephanie Rosenthal who stole the 2006 US Championships right out from under Sasha Cohen.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Anna reminds me of the amazing Stephanie Rosenthal who stole the 2006 US Championships right out from under Sasha Cohen.

Hey, let's not get carried away, now...nobody steals anything from Sasha! She might have two footed and fallen at least once in pretty much every major LP she skated, but she was always the star!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Hey, let's not get carried away, now...nobody steals anything from Sasha! She might have two footed and fallen at least once in pretty much every major LP she skated, but she was always the star!

God help her if she did, or was in the same warm-up group as La Cohen. Stephanie may have 'accidentally' tripped or found herself 'Hubert-ed'.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Those mid-program dance breaks were all the rage and Kerrigan even continued it into the early 90s.

I think this one might be the winner:

Kira always skated very engaging exhibition programs. This one is a particular favourite of mine, which she also used to entertain audiences during a Soviet tour of Australia in 1984.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Those mid-program dance breaks were all the rage and Kerrigan even continued it into the early 90s.

I think this one might be the winner:

I prefer Anna Kondrashova’s from that Olympics. :D

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I prefer Anna Kondrashova’s from that Olympics. :D

I actually really love that program and Liashenko more or less seemed to do a tribute to it with her 2002 long - same dress color, too. It was one of the more complete/not-so-random programs of the 80s, those isolation moves aside ;)

bardtoob

I don't know why Uncle Dick and Peggy gushed over Kondrashova but then failed to mention that she appears to land a 3Lp.

VGThuy

I feel like seeing Ivanova’s dance break was like seeing a prototype for Baiul’s pose breaks and Plushenko’s entire competitive choreography blueprint.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I find Miss Kerrigan's posing graceful and refined,but the dance breaks of the Russians significantly more crude and contrived.

Kira always skated very engaging exhibition programs. This one is a particular favourite of mine, which she also used to entertain audiences during a Soviet tour of Australia in 1984.

This number is so engaging,I shall remain celibate the rest of the month.

-BB

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information