Harvey Weinstein megaproducer and executive ousted over sexual harassment

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Number one, this wouldn't have been Weinstein's first movie dealing with Jews in WWII, so why now? Number two, it's not true in this case that "sexual sins are forgiven if one agrees to work against gun ownership." Weinstein did try that move out of desperation, as the floodgates were opening, but it didn't work.

MsZem

I see the sea
My theory is that a newspaper that has women willing to go on the record saying that an extremely powerful person has sexually assaulted or harassed them might want to run with that story. Because, you know, readers might find the story interesting. And the public has a right to know. And newspapers want to shine a light on abuses.

Reporting about a sexual predator of Weinstein's stature is valuable and important. Does it really matter if it also makes the BDS people happy?

Last edited:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Weinstein being a scumbag wasn't a secret. There have been articles and talk about it for decades. The only reason he is getting pushed out now and all of the complicit/enabling celebrities are willing to talk about it is because he's had a string of failures and was becoming rapidly irrelevant in the industry.

snoopy

Weinstein being a scumbag wasn't a secret. There have been articles and talk about it for decades. The only reason he is getting pushed out now and all of the complicit/enabling celebrities are willing to talk about it is because he's had a string of failures and was becoming rapidly irrelevant in the industry.

That was like Cosby, no? When he was too old to matter, then people came forward.

Money is the root of all evil.

VGThuy

Once one's perceived power has gone away or weakened, then it makes it easier for people to finally speak out. It also helps when there's numbers to support you so one does not feel alone. Add in the years it takes for one to go through all the emotions and rationalization that always comes with being a victim of sexual assault like figuring out that you were not to blame, realizing that just because it's accepted behavior in the industry doesn't make it right, being older and less afraid, having a bit more status yourself so that your word has more credibility, getting over the fear of being humiliated or a target once you do come out, etc. As for others who may have known someone who was personally victimized and should have said something, I'm sure many of them gave some warnings privately though probably vaguely as to not out the victim, though I'm sure many others ignored it or pretended it didn't happen or even enabled it. Since they were not involved, the question becomes who are they to "out" a victim and put all the media and personal attention and scrutiny on her. We know how society treats women who come out with sexual assault stories.

Jenny

From the Bloc

There is some discussion now that his brother/partner Bob gave info to the NY Times as part of a play to have him ousted from the company.

Also, it's a different world than it was even just a few years ago. Not so long ago, victims who wanted to take action had to do so through police where as we know the bias against victims and women remains strong, and through the legal system where it's very difficult to go after someone with immense resources who can assemble the best team and finance the long process of investigation, discovery, trial, appeal etc. And with much of this happening behind closed doors, the victims might often have felt alone, like it was their word against a powerful person and a biassed system.

Now we have social media, and thus a direct and immediate connection with the public as well as other victims who find courage in the public support and knowledge that they are not alone.

As for others who may have known someone who was personally victimized and should have said something, I'm sure many of them gave some warnings privately though probably vaguely as to not out the victim, though I'm sure many others ignored it or pretended it didn't happen or even enabled it.

Angelina Jolie said that after it happened to her, she refused to work with him again, and warned others as well. Other celebrities have said that they knew or suspected, and now feel ashamed they didn't say anything. In some ways I sympathize though - it's not like Weinstein is/was the only one; it's been part of the culture of this industry (and many others) since the beginning, and thus by choosing a Hollywood career you find a way to deal with it, sometimes by ignoring it because it's so rampant you figure all women (and many men) are in the same boat anyway.

We know how society treats women who come out with sexual assault stories.

Sad but so very much true. However, I'm hopeful that the tides are turning as more and more well-known, respected and influential people come forward. Taylor Swift's recent court victory, and importantly her honest and unapologetic stance throughout, has likely had a positive effect and may have even given some of the Weinstein's victims the confidence to go public now.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Shame is at mix here. There are a lot of raised eyebrows when it comes to being a "Harvey girl." In addition to Weinstein being known for his inappropriate behavior, he's also known as an expert campaigner and pushing hard for an actress or picture to win top industry awards. Many unfortunate accusations of sexual favors for suspect Oscar wins (e.g., Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Lawrence).

snoopy

I don't think that is a bad thing. What if it was some black kid whereby someone insinuated he raped someone with no evidence? Or that case in Boston, where the criminal blamed a black guy? We should be cynical of allegations without evidence.

VGThuy

I don't think that is a bad thing. What if it was some black kid whereby someone insinuated he raped someone with no evidence? Or that case in Boston, where the criminal blamed a black guy? We should be cynical of allegations without evidence.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but rather showing why uninvolved people who may hear of things don’t come out. There’s a lot to sexual assault that makes it understandable why people even victims don’t come out. I think we’re still figuring out the balance to make it better for victims but at the same time protecting due process rights. For sexual assault, because the treatment of victims not just by law enforcement but by people in general, it’s been heavily one sided forever.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but rather showing why isn’t understandable why uninvolved people who may hear of things don’t come out. There’s a lot to sexual assault that makes it understandable why people even victims don’t come out. I think we’re still figuring out the balance to make it better for victims but at the same time protecting due process rights. For sexual assault, because the treatment of victims not just by law enforcement but by people in general, it’s been heavily one sided forever.
That hasn't always been true when the alleged perpetrators are people of color, especially black men - at least where the US is concerned. Though of course, that is not the case when it comes to Weinstein.

Like you wrote, finding the right balance between supporting survivors of sexual assault and protecting due process rights can be tricky, but it's crucial to keep working at it.

Tinami Amori

Trump will probably try to give Weinstein the Medal of Honor, or maybe a lifetime achievement award.
Weinstein certainly deserves an award for his professional accomplishments.... well, certainly more deserving professionally than Obama @ "Noble Prize" for "peace".. :D

The way Trump talks about women is not quite disgusting, it is appalling.
Your adjective is bigger than my adjective … how trumpish of you…. :lol:

Absolutely disrespectful and degrading. How would you feel if any other man spoke about women in the way Trump does?

Honestly? If I heard a private conversation with such language, I would stop eavesdropping and walk away. I’ve worked with men who talk like that. They are usually more talk than action; their words are not a threat to me, unless they act. If they act, they get punched. It’s not my turn to fix them. I think when one has money it’s good to acquire “some culture”. If they don’t it’s their problem. Would not invite them to my home for dinner, that’s for sure.

Unfortunately i hear non-private conversations with such language more often than private, and from prominent public entertainers.
Like racist, sexist, violent threats from "Hamilton" main actor who "lectured VP Pence". Brandon Victor Dixon playing historic VP of the United States.... :D
http://freebeacon.com/culture/hamiilton-actor-lecture-pence-women/

- Remember when NFL players would just play the game, bang mad ho's, and collect their checks? Guess that's not enough anymore.
- the problem is ho's aren't what they used to be. If ho game would step up, cats wouldn't get distracted.

... and here is a threat to "knock up white women as revenge of racism in general" (you do know what it means "to take a woman and to turn her into a jump off" right?
https://twitter.com/BrandonVDixon/status/357738652987686912
“4 every racist comment I get about Trayvon Im going 2 turn 1 white married suburban housewife & mother n2 a jump off” The. Best."

..... and i won't even bother to list alll the Rap songs that are even worst... :D

VGThuy

That hasn't always been true when the alleged perpetrators are people of color, especially black men - at least where the US is concerned. Though of course, that is not the case when it comes to Weinstein.

That's definitely true.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Honestly? If I heard a private conversation with such language, I would stop eavesdropping and walk away. I’ve worked with men who talk like that. They are usually more talk than action; their words are not a threat to me, unless they act. If they act, they get punched. It’s not my turn to fix them. I think when one has money it’s good to acquire “some culture”. If they don’t it’s their problem. Would not invite them to my home for dinner, that’s for sure.
But what about the fact that these men such as Trump are in the public and basically role models out there for a group who might look on their behaviour as acceptable. Particularly seeing they have positions of power and can influence others within their space. It is also not just the sexual harassment but the bullying that people like this engage in.

So you don't have a problem with that?

Tinami Amori

I am not sure that's quite true in all cases. Koby Bryant case for example..... Many people were on his side, me too, rightfully so, because the "chick" did everything to go after him (staying after work to meet him, giving him some strange property a tour, flirting, taking him to the hot-tub area, bringing him up to his room, flipping her skirt up to show a tattoo on her butt, etc.). She was a "mobile home lot debris" and Koby's only fault was to "misinterpret" her "tail-teasing"..... Many people saw that, and stuck up for him. (I ran into Mr. Bryant once at the airport, did not really know who he was at the beginning, don't follow that sport at all. All i noticed is a "european style dressed and well mannered gentleman"... I had no idea he was a ballplayer, or his name, or that he was American... He looked and had manners of a fine man.)

But what about the fact that these men such as Trump are in the public and basically role models out there for a group who might look on their behaviour as acceptable. Particularly seeing they have positions of power and can influence others within their space. It is also not just the sexual harassment but the bullying that people like this engage in.

So you don't have a problem with that?

Trump did not start this behavior (not that anyone should continue...). The tape is basically a private conversation, which was made public for political reasons. He did not hurt anyone. What people say in private is their business. I am more concerned when people a) say such things in public, b) act accordingly.

I am sure we all would roll over in fear, if we learned ALL that prominent people and roll models say in private.... :D ... i am sure we'd be quite disgusted in someone taped them in a bathroom over a toilet.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Pretty much.

Does this mean Woody Allen's time is coming?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Trump did not start this behavior (not that anyone should continue...). The tape is basically a private conversation, which was made public for political reasons. He did not hurt anyone. What people say in private is their business. I am more concerned when people a) say such things in public, b) act accordingly.

I am sure we all would roll over in fear, if we learned ALL that prominent people and roll models say in private.... :D ... i am sure we'd be quite disgusted in someone taped them in a bathroom over a toilet.
Hmmm he was connected to the microphone so there was every chance it was being recorded which he should have been aware of. Lot's of other people have been caught out in the same situation. I am sure you wouldn't have a problem if it was anyone else that you didn't like in the same boat. But regardless of it being a private conversation or not, I am glad we got to hear that because it just added further weight to what a replusive person he is.

Anway he didn't have any problem with the slogan "Trump the b*tch" in reference to Hiliary Clinton which was public and printed on hats and t-shirts. Is that acceptable behaviour by him or his supporters?

Tinami Amori

If you're more concerned about people saying such things in public, @Tinami Amori, then I'm sure you'll be concerned about these. Right?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/trump-on-howard-stern/index.html
I don’t see a problem in this given case. It’s a trash-talk show. I don’t like it, don’t watch it, but it is an acceptable form of entertainment today in USA, and welcomed by the Liberals, given the role models they promote…

Womens rights supposed promoters, “the progressives “such as Madonna, Cyrus, are trying sooooooo hard to break the “Christian conservative taboos and inhibitions about sex”…. Well, maybe they succeeded breaking the sex taboos…. “sex trash on stage” is a norm…. Cyrus and Madonna have a prick envy, so they put on huge fake ones and waves them as a power symbol, "banging other women" sometimes...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2540861.main_image.jpg?strip=all
https://lipstick-and-war-crimes.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/miley-cyrus-fake-penis-breasts-.jpg
http://www.idolator.com/wp-content/...s-Living-For-Love-Rebel-Heart-Sex-620x413.jpg
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4069940.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/Miley-Cyrus-Inflatables.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ivTTJwJvkwg/maxresdefault.jpg

snoopy

It's true. The republicans were the ones who supposedly cared about morals. I'm glad we gave up that pretense. As I said earlier, trump set the new standard. No more can republicans claim it as an issue. They'd be just as hypocritical as democrats.

ilovepaydays

Mayim Bialik - Will I Raise a Son Like Harvey Weinstein?

Many good points, although I will say that most of these points need to be explained to girls/women as well. Especially #3 (Consent). I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to explain to another woman that it’s not okay to touch/hug another person - the person being another female doesn’t matter - if they don’t want to be touched. You don’t get a pass on this because you’re female.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It's true. The republicans were the ones who supposedly cared about morals. I'm glad we gave up that pretense. As I said earlier, trump set the new standard. No more can republicans claim it as an issue. They'd be just as hypocritical as democrats.
You do know that Weinstein was a huge money bundler for the Democratic Party. He bundled millions for Obama, Clinton, and Clinton, and many people in congress.
Shame on the women that did not lodge a police report. They were evidently willing to sell themselves (literally) for a part or a movie or a career. Shame on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information