Grand Prix Series of Seasons 2022/23 & 2023/24

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor

So @doritos' sources are right. (y)
OMG OMG OMG! :biggrinbo :rollin: :biggrinbo :rollin:

(ETA - @miffy perhaps this would be a good opportunity for another well-timed visit to your sister? :) )

raruki

CSA/CFSA has found a very strong sponsor Gemdel, a real estate giant in China which sponsored the WTA final 2019 in Shenzhen by providing 10 million dollars as the prize money, to sponsor CoC during this Olympic cycle. CSA/CFSA does have a very strong bargaining and lobbying power this time to persuade ISU to retain the hosting rights of CoC.
The zero-Covid policy is still a very disturbing thing right now in China, but CoC could be relocated to Hong Kong or Macao where they have lifted some of the covid restrictions and these cities are very closed to the headquarters of Gemdel, Shenzhen.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
CSA/CFSA has found a very strong sponsor Gemdel, a real estate giant in China which sponsored the WTA final 2019 in Shenzhen by providing 10 million dollars as the prize money, to sponsor CoC during this Olympic cycle. CSA/CFSA does have a very strong bargaining and lobbying power this time to persuade ISU to retain the hosting rights of CoC.
The zero-Covid policy is still a very disturbing thing right now in China, but CoC could be relocated to Hong Kong or Macao where they have lifted some of the covid restrictions and these cities are very closed to the headquarters of Gemdel, Shenzhen.
I expect that Macao might be more likely than Hong Kong unless the CSA/CFSA makes a deal with the Hong Kong federation and gets the ISU's blessing for one Hong Kong man and woman to be given host spots.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Confirmation that IdF will be held in Angers in 2022 and 2023.

Vagabond

Angers is not easily accessible by plane. The nearest airport is Nantes, 90 km. away, and it looks like the transfer by rail or bus would take at least and hour and a half. Queue the whingeing!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
FWIW per the SNCF app it looks like there are direct trains between Paris Montparnasse and Angers St-Laud stations, and the transit time’s less than 2h. Could be worse!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
FWIW per the SNCF app it looks like there are direct trains between Paris Montparnasse and Angers St-Laud stations, and the transit time’s less than 2h. Could be worse!
This is looking like being the first reasonably convenient GP for me since they left Bercy. :) Though I’m also considering the GPF.

Karen-W

It seems that 2022 Cup of China became TBA,

Interesting. But, to be honest, it makes sense. China has been canceling or giving back hosting rights for events scheduled this summer in a variety of sports due to their ongoing zero-Covid policy. I don't see how there is any way, in another 6 months, any Chinese city is going to be in a position to host a figure skating Grand Prix.

Stephanie

Interesting. But, to be honest, it makes sense. China has been canceling or giving back hosting rights for events scheduled this summer in a variety of sports due to their ongoing zero-Covid policy. I don't see how there is any way, in another 6 months, any Chinese city is going to be in a position to host a figure skating Grand Prix.
Agreed, I'm really glad that the decision is being made now and not relatively last minute like with this past season.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I seem to recall that just before JWC the Estonian fed's president was basically like "our volunteers are exhausted, we didn't even want JWC" so I doubt Estonia are queuing up for a GP.

I only hope that the alternatives for China are in the Asian/Oceanic region. I think it's only fair to keep the 2/2/2 split.

Karen-W

I seem to recall that just before JWC the Estonian fed's president was basically like "our volunteers are exhausted, we didn't even want JWC" so I doubt Estonia are queuing up for a GP.

I only hope that the alternatives for China are in the Asian/Oceanic region. I think it's only fair to keep the 2/2/2 split.
Yes, I think it was sort of hinted around Jr Worlds that Estonia was plum tuckered out with hosting major events like ISU Championships or GPs.

I would love to see the 2/2/2 geographic split for the GP remain intact. South Korea seems like an obvious choice, but Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines and Taiwan are all reasonable options. My guess is that national Covid restrictions will be a factor in which, if any, of those countries submit a bid. South Korea seems the most restrictive of the 5 at this time with Taiwan and the Philippines only beginning to really open up in the last month or so.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yes, I think it was sort of hinted around Jr Worlds that Estonia was plum tuckered out with hosting major events like ISU Championships or GPs.

I would love to see the 2/2/2 geographic split for the GP remain intact. South Korea seems like an obvious choice, but Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines and Taiwan are all reasonable options. My guess is that national Covid restrictions will be a factor in which, if any, of those countries submit a bid. South Korea seems the most restrictive of the 5 at this time with Taiwan and the Philippines only beginning to really open up in the last month or so.

Cup of Tim-Tam?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I think Estonia deserves first refusal for the vacant GP. If they don't want it, fine, but they've more than earned it after hosting 3 out of 4 championship events last season when the big feds refused to step up. The Estonian Fed saved the championship season, so give them whatever they want.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
ITA, and if they don't want it, I think that Estonia should get extra consideration for GP spots, if not spots outright guaranteed, for their extraordinary service to the skating community in hosting two extra championships. Plus, if they want Worlds, especially a pre-Olympics Worlds, in the future, they should get it.

litenkyckling

It would be nice if the Russia spot became a European GP that was shared with 4 feds (maybe Finland, Italy, Spain, Estonia, Germany or (selfishly for me the UK) etc) so that they each got a hosting turn during a quad - it could be a nice way for feds to keep costs down but still get recognition and hosting experience for when they want to apply for bigger events.

vesperholly

OK fair, that was a lot back to back. They can rest up for the fall, though, and get those host spots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information