Gracie Gold Cheer thread

Sylvia

TBD
I felt like starting a brand new cheer/fan thread for Gracie now that she has qualified for 2020 U.S. Nationals. :)

Her IG post/photo (taken after her 3rd place finish at the Eastern Sectional Singles Final in Hyannis, Mass. this past weekend) shows her with 2 of her coaches, Pavel Filchenkov and Alex Zahradnicek, and a junior lady (Lara A.) who trains with the group in Aston, PA and also has qualified for Nationals:

Gracie's latest IG story shows her on the ice in Hackensack, NJ being filmed (looks like for an upcoming segment of Inside Edition?) doing an amazingly fast back scratch spin.

(CC: @Teamgracie)

Last edited:

Teamgracie

Thanks Sylvia! It was truly amazing to see her skate in person. Her jumps have such height. Also, she is such a kind person. She signed program books and took pictures with lots of kids and even us older fans. Wishing her all the happiness in the world.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Cheering for Gracie! Hopefully she can and will overcome personal problems that kept her (as similar ones did for Gabby Daleman) off the ice. As fans, we follow with cautious optimism when Skater X has a physical injury, often overlooking the emotional battles they face.

bardtoob

I hope to see Gracie push beyond her previous technical limitations. In other words, I want Gracie to believe the future will be better than the past because she has more potential than she ever used.

sk9tingfan

I hope to see Gracie push beyond her previous technical limitations. In other words, I want Gracie to believe the future will be better than the past because she has more potential than she ever used.
I think she's on a four year plan, hoping to evolve

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie's latest IG story shows her on the ice in Hackensack, NJ being filmed (looks like for an upcoming segment of Inside Edition?) doing an amazingly fast back scratch spin.
Here's the Inside Edition segment:

Yesterday she coached in Missouri (where she started skating):
“I’m just really enjoying the process of skating again, kind of falling back in love with the sports I left on not so great terms with it,” Gold said. “So to come back to the sport that gave me everything and changed my life, and to be able to work with the younger generation and pass on, at least what I know ... I’m in this really cool spot right now.”

Sylvia

TBD
First of 3 tweets (link was posted in the U.S. Ladies thread on Wed. Dec. 11):

From 3rd tweet:
On working w/ GG: "It’s been a long journey since she arrived. Ive never worked w/ a person like that. Shes so goal-oriented, ready to go, humble" -Pasha Filchenkov

cgirl8

rupertsurvive

Banned Member
She is possibly the most talented overall skater in the last 40 years, besides possibly Yu Na Kim and Mao Asada. Such a shame things have not worked out better for her, but I admire her perseverance to keep going inspite of all the obstacles. Will be interesting to see how she skates at Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
Karen Crouse has written a POSTSCRIPT article almost one year after her original NY Times feature piece:

This People article summarizes it:

bardtoob

For all the focus here and in the media on the psychological aspects of her comeback and TEKNIK, I have to say that Gold strikes me as a more polished skater than ever before. :respec:

I would describe it as "Unlike most US Ladies, Gracie's step and choreography sequences are generally watchable and not painfully lacking in fluidity."

Sylvia

TBD
Karen Crouse is one of 12 Best Sportswriting finalists for the 2020 Dan Jenkins Medal for Excellence in Sportswriting (University of Texas' Center for Sports Communication & Media) for her 1/25/19 New York Times article "Gracie Gold’s Battle for Olympic Glory Ended in a Fight to Save Herself": https://twitter.com/bykaren/status/1284169248579948551

ETA that Gracie is included in USFS' International Selection Pool for 2020-21. :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Olympic Channel interview published today before the premiere of The Weight of Gold (ETA that there's a 4.5 minute video embedded that includes her speaking on camera for this article as well as snippets from her panel talk at the IOC's International Athlete Forum in 2019):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted by @Yazmeen re. The Weight of Gold HBO documentary:

For those interested, there's a thread in Other Sports that contains review links and people's impressions of this documentary: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-weight-of-gold-documentary.107339/

Link to Gracie's website for her training camps (next one is in Wilkes-Barre PA, August 22-23):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie was interviewed for over an hour on the "Cafecito con Masha" (Mexico) YT channel earlier today:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information