Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

Sarrie

I only ordered fun stuff this time around with Rouge pre-sale. Green glitter eyeliner (looks great, wearing it today!) and purple eyeliner, both from Urban Decay and then Dreamdust glitter eye shadow from Valentino. Excited to try some new sparkly looks. I normally would have ordered more but also just spent a chunk of change at my last trip to Ulta.

fan

anyone have a great face cream/treatment that helps stave off little fine lines? I have oily skin, and no big wrinkles so far, but at 40 i'm starting to notice some fine lines on my forehead. should i try the dr gross alpha beta pads? or something else. my skin isn't sensitive

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
anyone have a great face cream/treatment that helps stave off little fine lines? I have oily skin, and no big wrinkles so far, but at 40 i'm starting to notice some fine lines on my forehead. should i try the dr gross alpha beta pads? or something else. my skin isn't sensitive

I'm in the same boat. (But despite said lines, I look goddamn great for 40)

Oddly I find decent Retinol products, regular use of Bioderma Micellar water + physical exfoliation helps keep my skin happy (when washing my face or via using a towel sweating on the treadmill). For almost everything else, I use uber-affordable Cera-Ve.

I can't remember if it was a previous Glamour Puss thread or not, but the suggestion at least 10 years ago was that creams won't do much, so get ready for botox. I'm too squeamish and cheap for that so far, so I'm hoping some of the new contraptions and options out there are viable alternatives...

Reactions: fan

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Tretinoin prescription or retinol. My stepmom LOVES The Ordinary's retinol serum. She is 70, has great genes, but raves about how nice it makes her skin look and feel.

I use tret and started some Xeomin last week for the awful deep wrinkles between the eyebrows. I blame no sunglasses most of my life living in LA so I squinted a lot :lol: I HATE needles, but some lidocaine cream and a super gentle nurse did wonders for me.

Tretinoin prescription or retinol. My stepmom LOVES The Ordinary's retinol serum. She is 70, has great genes, but raves about how nice it makes her skin look and feel.

I use tret and started some Xeomin last week for the awful deep wrinkles between the eyebrows. I blame no sunglasses most of my life living in LA so I squinted a lot :lol: I HATE needles, but some lidocaine cream and a super gentle nurse did wonders for me.
My beef with The Ordinary’s retinol is that it tends to lose effectiveness faster than I use it. I thought I was going crazy but I follow a cosmetic scientist on Instagram and she said the same thing. Ideally, I’d store it in the fridge to prolong its life but that’s just too many extra steps for me to deal with at bedtime. Neutrogena has a good affordable one in a better bottle that lasts longer.

Having said that, I had a sample of the Dr. Gross pads and that stuff is magic. If I could fit it in my budget I totally would go that route.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I've heard so much about those pads. Pondering trying them. No exfoliation works well for me--I have huge sebaceous filaments and no matter what routine I try, what stuff I try, they are still there... mocking me... taunting me...

clairecloutier

I did try the Dr. Gross's pads for a month or two and can't say I saw a huge difference.

But, I also concluded that my skin just isn't a match for that kind of regimen, because I have a rosacea-type, fair, freckled, Irishy complexion. So I need to use gentler products. I switched to First Aid Facial Beauty exfoliating pads and just use them maybe twice a week.

I have the frown line issue too, but I haven't done anything about it so far.

topaz

Well, I found out that Nyx discontinued my favorite concealer "Born to glow". Does anyone know of a dupe for it? It looked so good in person and on camera.
Excuse the gray hair. This was between colorings.

My photo 1
My photo 2

Anemone

My favourite lipgloss has been discontinued. Not just my favourite colour, but the whole line. ☹️
So I am now on the hunt for a nice neutral pink that is not sticky.
Anyone have a favourite to suggest?

skategal

Bunny mama
My favourite lipgloss has been discontinued. Not just my favourite colour, but the whole line. ☹️
So I am now on the hunt for a nice neutral pink that is not sticky.
Anyone have a favourite to suggest?
I use Fenty in the shade Fussy.

However, it is fragranced (cotton candy/vanilla), on the thicker side and more expensive than drugstore brands.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Best drugstore moisturizer with retinol? Don’t care about SPF as it’s practically winter. Go.

clairecloutier

If you had $50 to spend on a beauty/skin care gift for someone, what would you buy?? Looking for recommendations.

This is for my SIL. She likes makeup and nice skin care products. She has dark hair, dark eyes, and fair skin (neither dry nor overly oily skin).

skategal

Bunny mama
If you had $50 to spend on a beauty/skin care gift for someone, what would you buy?? Looking for recommendations.

This is for my SIL. She likes makeup and nice skin care products. She has dark hair, dark eyes, and fair skin (neither dry nor overly oily skin).
I’d go for one of the Sephora Favorites Value Sets so she can try a bunch of different products (there are lip and mascara ones as well as other themes).

Or a value set put together by a particular brand (makeup or skincare) that you think she might like.

Anemone

I use Fenty in the shade Fussy.

However, it is fragranced (cotton candy/vanilla), on the thicker side and more expensive than drugstore brands.
Thank you! Bought Fussy and Sweetmouth a couple weeks ago and they have been exactly what I was looking for.

Anybody have recommendations for a "mild" mascara? I tend to react to most of the mascaras I've tried. I have one salon brand I can wear, but not everyday.

Last edited:

Desperado

My BD is coming up and I’ll be getting a basic MAC cream eyeshadow/primer/paint pot.

Has anyone tried the Drunk Elephant Marula oil or the retinol oil? I can afford the Sephora mini size as a treat. I have dehydrated, rosacea, sun spotted older skin.

I get allergic reactions with the phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin chemicals so I’m limited there too. Sigh…

skategal

Bunny mama
My BD is coming up and I’ll be getting a basic MAC cream eyeshadow/primer/paint pot.

Has anyone tried the Drunk Elephant Marula oil or the retinol oil? I can afford the Sephora mini size as a treat. I have dehydrated, rosacea, sun spotted older skin.

I get allergic reactions with the phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin chemicals so I’m limited there too. Sigh…
I love the MAC paint pots.

I’ve tried some of the Drunk Elephant products but not the Marula oil or Retinol oil.

I have sensitive, dehydrated older skin with slight rosacea and have never had an issue with any of the Drunk Elephant products.

I’ve loved everything I’ve tried but my favorite is the LaLa Whipped Retro moisturizer. :swoon:

Happy BD!

Desperado

Thanks @skategal ! I’m buying a few weeks early. :D

I really liked their small soaps duo (Juju and Pekee).

Unfortunately, the moisturizer contains both the chemicals that cause me issues. 😩

In the end, I got the paint pot, a small size Dermatologica exfoliant and the Jack Black spf lipgloss, but I’m keep the other DE products in mind. Will share when I try.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ooh, what paint pot did you get, @Desperado ? I love them - I was wearing Vintage Selection daily before I evolved to preferring taupe shadow daily. (Clinique Chubby Eyeshadow sticks in Lots O' Latte)

Desperado

Ooh, what paint pot did you get, @Desperado ? I love them - I was wearing Vintage Selection daily before I evolved to preferring taupe shadow daily. (Clinique Chubby Eyeshadow sticks in Lots O' Latte)
Just the basic Painterly because I wanted to use it as a primer too, with sometimes just an eyeliner. It doesn’t make my hooded eyelids look any younger :lol: but it lightens them and helps my eyeliner and eyeshadows last longer. It doesn’t look pinkish like it did online, just basic pale beige. Vintage Selection looks lovely too.

I used to love Clinique’s chubby sticks, especially the blush.

With my allergies I started using the Canadian brand Pure Anada but went too deep in buying too many of their colours. The magnetized palettes you could customize was my downfall. :lol:

skategal

Bunny mama
You know you are in a different stage of life when you are buying Drunk Elephant skincare for your 12 year-old son. :lol:

He started breaking out on his forehead and I was trying different cleansers that I had samples of but were too strong for my mature skin and Drunk Elephant Beste cleanser worked for him.

Don’t worry. I got some stuff for me too. ;) :lol:

antmanb

I had managed to kick my addiction to expensive creams and cleansers and was doing well with Simple products that were really cheap but they have slowly but surely discontinued every product of theirs that i used. Work wife decided to buy the Kiehls advent calendar in order to try lots of their products and very kindly (though not to my wallet) let me try some of the things that she liked. I've ended up buying three of the midnight recovery products for night time and a dark circle eye cream that are all absolutely lovely. I also got a sample of ultra hydrating serum and moisturiser that has easily stretched to three days (and i might get a fourth out of the samples tomorrow) but my skin feels absolutely amazing.

I feel 2023 might be an expensive Kiehl's year :lol:

skategal

Bunny mama
I had managed to kick my addiction to expensive creams and cleansers and was doing well with Simple products that were really cheap but they have slowly but surely discontinued every product of theirs that i used. Work wife decided to buy the Kiehls advent calendar in order to try lots of their products and very kindly (though not to my wallet) let me try some of the things that she liked. I've ended up buying three of the midnight recovery products for night time and a dark circle eye cream that are all absolutely lovely. I also got a sample of ultra hydrating serum and moisturiser that has easily stretched to three days (and i might get a fourth out of the samples tomorrow) but my skin feels absolutely amazing.

I feel 2023 might be an expensive Kiehl's year :lol:
I love Kiehl’s midnight recovery line.

I don’t get it often though. Mostly just samples. :lol:

I am loving my sample of the Drunk Elephant Protini resurfacing Serum (10% Lactic Acid).

Normally products like that are a bit too strong for my skin but this one isn’t.

I checked yesterday and it’s $108 for a full size bottle. :eek:

I do have a $30 gift card for Sephora but yeah….it ain’t cheap.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I buy Oil of Olay Regenerist Deep Hydrating Cream Moisturizer at the supermarket and even remember to use it a few times a week. Otherwise, it's soap and water for me!

I would like to find something to fade some dark spots. I realize these are sun damage and in my skin but I was hoping there was something out there that would scrub off the top layers faster or at least make them less dark.

skategal

Bunny mama
I buy Oil of Olay Regenerist Deep Hydrating Cream Moisturizer at the supermarket and even remember to use it a few times a week. Otherwise, it's soap and water for me!

I would like to find something to fade some dark spots. I realize these are sun damage and in my skin but I was hoping there was something out there that would scrub off the top layers faster or at least make them less dark.

I’ve never used it but some people swear by niacinimide for those purposes.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’ve just done my makeup for the third time today. :lol:

I’m working from home today and forgot that I was supposed to go to a Mary Kay demo at lunchtime and it would be easier if I arrived without makeup on. :shuffle:

I did like some of the products I tried but I didn’t think the shades assigned to me worked well for my skin tone (except the foundation.)

The shades were on a tester card pre-assigned by eye colour and I think if you have brown eyes it is assumed that your skin tone is at least medium (not super fair like me.)

So the colours on me were a super evening glam makeup look and matched my mom perfectly for a daytime look. She is at least 5 shades darker than I am. :lol:

So yeah, I had to take that off when I got home and start over.

I did order a lipstick, lipgloss, liquid eye shadow and brow gel though.

Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information