From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
Do we know that all of the JGPF couples will be going to (senior) nationals? That’s really unfortunate if only one of Akopova & Rakhmanin / Akhanteva & Kolesov / Kostiukovich & Briukhanov (if they want to) will get to go.
I don’t know if all JGPF couples plans to go to Russian nationals, but Mukhortova/Evgenyev and Khabibulina/Kniazhuk are ageing out after this season; they will want to get on the senior team for funding so it makes sense for them to compete at the senior nationals. Petushkova/Malikov are ageing out a year later, so they may want to concentrate on juniors only this year, although it would make sense to get some experience at senior nationals considering that next season they will be desperate to attend senior nationals and get on national team/get funding. Chikmarieva/Yanchenkov are still young, they have a few more seasons in juniors, but they have been the only pair to win two JGP this season and their season best is also highest from all Russian junior pairs (189.11), so they may want to measure themselves with seniors at the nationals.

I don’t think Akopova/Rakhmanin have much chance getting in now, unless there are withdrawals. With third place…unlikely.

Actually, I just noticed that Akhanteva/Kolesov also placed 3rd at senior Russian cup, so they are out. It is extremely unlikely that with third place they would get in. There would need to be quite a few withdrawals for third place to get in (considering that there is currently only one spot left available).

ETA: correction. The first two places in Russian cup are taken by Tarasova/Morozov and Artemeva/Nazarychev, and the first place at the second cup is taken by Pepeleva/Pleshkov. They all have their spots already through having GP events. So Akopova/Rakhmanin do have a chance to qualify, if at the remaining three cups the first two spots are taken again by someone who already have a GP event. At this moment there is only one couple from those who are not qualified yet who stands above Akopova/Rakhmanin and that is Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov.

Last edited:

pairsicedance

I don’t know if all JGPF couples plans to go to Russian nationals, but Mukhortova/Evgenyev and Khabibulina/Kniazhuk are ageing out after this season; they will want to get on the senior team for funding so it makes sense for them to compete at the senior nationals. Petushkova/Malikov are ageing out a year later, so they may want to concentrate on juniors only this year, although it would make sense to get some experience at senior nationals considering that next season they will be desperate to attend senior nationals and get on national team/get funding. Chikmarieva/Yanchenkov are still young, they have a few more seasons in juniors, but they have been the only pair to win two JGP this season and their season best is also highest from all Russian junior pairs (189.11), so they may want to measure themselves with seniors at the nationals.

I don’t think Akopova/Rakhmanin have much chance getting in now, unless there are withdrawals. With third place…unlikely.

Actually, I just noticed that Akhanteva/Kolesov also placed 3rd at senior Russian cup, so they are out. It is extremely unlikely that with third place they would get in. There would need to be quite a few withdrawals for third place to get in (considering that there is currently only one spot left available).
I kind of wish Akopova/Rakhmanin had waited to do their Russian cup events until after the grand prix started - they'd have been in with a much better chance of winning. They can do another event though right? so if they win that is it possible for them to still make it to nats?... It's crazy - they now have the 14th best international PB (11th of currently competing pairs!!) and yet may well not even be one of the 12 competing at nationals.

hanca

Values her privacy
I kind of wish Akopova/Rakhmanin had waited to do their Russian cup events until after the grand prix started - they'd have been in with a much better chance of winning. They can do another event though right? so if they win that is it possible for them to still make it to nats?... It's crazy - they now have the 14th best international PB (11th of currently competing pairs!!) and yet may well not even be one of the 12 competing at nationals.
Yes, they do have a chance. It would be very helpful if they could win their next event (and also if Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov placed lower than them in their second event). I really liked A/R this season, so it bothers me that the system at the Russian nationals is so much helping to those who have GP events and who got into JGPF that those who didn’t get a GP event may not get through. If Panfilova/Rylov were not injured, they would also get a GP event and then there would be no spot open to qualify through the Russian cups! So why having the qualifying competitions? Or if this year the JGPF had six pairs like it was all the previous years and not this year, then Kostiukovich/Briukhanov would qualify into JGPF and into Russian senior nationals, so there would be no spot available to qualify through Russian cups.

It seems to me that the only way for Russian senior pairs who can’t qualify is to do as many international competitions (Challengers) as possible, to get the season best and the world ranking, and hopefully next season they would be eligible for GP events and automatically receive their spot at the nationals. That may be easier route than fighting for the only one spot left like this season. It’s crazy.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Yes, they do have a chance. It would be very helpful if they could win their next event (and also if Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov placed lower than them in their second event). I really liked A/R this season, so it bothers me that the system at the Russian nationals is so much helping to those who have GP events and who got into JGPF that those who didn’t get a GP event may not get through. If Panfilova/Rylov were not injured, they would also get a GP event and then there would be no spot open to qualify through the Russian cups! So why having the qualifying competitions? Or if this year the JGPF had six pairs like it was all the previous years and not this year, then Kostiukovich/Briukhanov would qualify into JGPF and into Russian senior nationals, so there would be no spot available to qualify through Russian cups.

It seems to me that the only way for Russian senior pairs who can’t qualify is to do as many international competitions (Challengers) as possible, to get the season best and the world ranking, and hopefully next season they would be eligible for GP events and automatically receive their spot at the nationals. That may be easier route than fighting for the only one spot left like this season. It’s crazy.
Well, but this goes to the crazy depth that exists in Russian pairs right now. They have the same # of teams that can qualify to their Nationals as the US does - the difference is that the US doesn't have as many good pairs teams that get byes to Nats because of their GP assignments or qualifying for the JGPF. The USFS also has a limit on the # of teams/skaters who are eligible for automatic byes in each discipline. Seems like this is something the RFSF should consider as well.

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, but this goes to the crazy depth that exists in Russian pairs right now. They have the same # of teams that can qualify to their Nationals as the US does - the difference is that the US doesn't have as many good pairs teams that get byes to Nats because of their GP assignments or qualifying for the JGPF. The USFS also has a limit on the # of teams/skaters who are eligible for automatic byes in each discipline. Seems like this is something the RFSF should consider as well.
Yes, there are several solutions. Increasing number of pairs at the nationals, or having automatically qualify only the medallists from GP events (not just having a GP event, but needing to medal there), or don’t let those from JGPF automatically qualify (they can always qualify through the Russian cups with the others if they are so good). All this would make it more fair because some years someone gets a GP event on based the their past results, but they are not on such a high level any more, and yet someone else who is better does not qualify.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Weekend will finally start of the grand prix and will again put the question on Trusova

Can she finally land a triple axel ? nobody cares if she lands those quads anymore because Trusova will need to land triple axels to even have a chance to beat Kamila with her Two triple axels and 3 quads, Trusova cant even beat her with 5 quads.

This question will not go away until she lands at least 3 in a real competition
not in practice or test skates.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Weekend will finally start of the grand prix and will again put the question on Trusova

Can she finally land a triple axel ? nobody cares if she lands those quads anymore because Trusova will need to land triple axels to even have a chance to beat Kamila with her Two triple axels and 3 quads, Trusova cant even beat her with 5 quads.

Put a lid on it already.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Broken-record troll. When Trusova succeeds, it will MELT like the Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz.

J

Jeschke

The situation in pairs this season just sucks.
It mostly does every year (since a while), but this year is brutal.
Akopova/Rakhmanin mentioned, Solovoyoa/Ivanov having really good outings so far.

And let's face it, even when they are not on best of their game right now, skaters of the calibre of Akhanteva/Kolesov (and yes even) Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov not qualifying seems kinda brutal.
I don't wanna take spots away fom the JFPF qualifiers, but just re-thinking that 4th group option would make things better.

hanca

Values her privacy
The situation in pairs this season just sucks.
It mostly does every year (since a while), but this year is brutal.
Akopova/Rakhmanin mentioned, Solovoyoa/Ivanov having really good outings so far.

And let's face it, even when they are not on best of their game right now, skaters of the calibre of Akhanteva/Kolesov (and yes even) Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov not qualifying seems kinda brutal.
I don't wanna take spots away fom the JFPF qualifiers, but just re-thinking that 4th group option would make things better.
I do find it ridiculous that a pair who scored internationally over 200 points recently may not qualify to the Russian nationals, while pairs who have season best 170 will qualify because they got into JGPF. That’s not right. Don’t get me wrong, getting into JGPF is an achievement and I do understand that the federation wants to give young pairs a chance to measure themselves against seniors if they are doing well in juniors, but not to the detriment of other deserving senior pairs. If it creates situations like this, surely something should be changed.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
The depth in Russian pairs at the moment is ridiculous, even with the usual attrition. It’s really tough for the teams involved. Akopova/Rakhmanin are probably better than most international teams, have entertaining programmes and are building momentum yet may not even make it to nationals. Hopefully they will get a Challenger and can build their own path, but unfortunately Akhtaneva/Kolesov seem unlikely to get a senior international assignment. I saw their results and thought that they must have had some disasters but actually they were fine, aside from the weird issue with death spirals they seem to be having this season.

J

Jeschke

I saw their results and thought that they must have had some disasters but actually they were fine, aside from the weird issue with death spirals they seem to be having this season.
Have you missed JGP Kosice? :shuffle:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Akopova / Rakhmanin skating reminded me of Stolbova / Klimov the way he starts the throws
and her athletic acrobatic lifts and jump landing positions.

I've been looking again, well that explains it, what do you know - Klimov is their first coach ? ;)

Sylvia

TBD
Some positive news re. Tiffani Zagorski:
[Zahorski] should be discharged from the hospital this week, RIA Novosti was told at the skater's coaching staff.
Earlier, figure skating coach Svetlana Alekseeva told RIA Novosti that Zagorski is in an infectious diseases clinic, which is why the duo will miss the Skate America Grand Prix, which will be held in Las Vegas on October 22-24.
"Tiffany is on the mend, this week she should be discharged, and we hope that soon she will be able to start training."
:)

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Is there any news about Viktoria Vasilieva and Alyona Kanysheva and their partners? It seemed Kanysheva wasn't very successful last year but I read earlier this year that she was still with her dance partner. I've heard nothing about Vasilieva.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Thank you, Sylvia! Alyona Kanysheva has matured so much! I didn't recognize her. I don't know ice dance at all, but does this look competitive for Russia? Is her funding covered at least? I'd love to see her progress in the sport, but it seems like going from women's singles to ice dancing in Russia isn't exactly an easy ride either, Diana Davis notwithstanding....

Amy L

Is there any news about Viktoria Vasilieva and Alyona Kanysheva and their partners? It seemed Kanysheva wasn't very successful last year but I read earlier this year that she was still with her dance partner. I've heard nothing about Vasilieva.

I don't think Vasilieva is still with her partner. There were rumors that she didn't like pair skating, or maybe things weren't working out with Nikita Volodin, he did go through like three partners in three seasons so who knows what's actually going on.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't think Vasilieva is still with her partner. There were rumors that she didn't like pair skating, or maybe things weren't working out with Nikita Volodin, he did go through like three partners in three seasons so who knows what's actually going on.
There were news quite a while ago that she was skating with Zaporozhets, which would not be great because he frequently changes partners and never achieved anything with either of them. There were several decent Russian pair males available in the off season, e.g. Bachmat (now he skates with Sobinina), or Kalashnikov, Butaev etc, so I am not sure why she would settle for Zaporozhets. The fact that he never got to the nationals in pairs (even though he has been doing pairs for 10 years) could tell her something… Also, he is 25 now so it is not as if he had a long career in front of him.

But we haven’t heard about any other news since then, so I am not sure if they are still together or if they gave up on this partnership.

irenemulindwairen

Some positive news re. Tiffani Zagorski:

:)
Amen!

Ka3sha

Channel 1 preview before Skate America, Maxim Trankov as the main host
Alina Zagitova and Max discussing pairs elements, Evgenia Medvedeva interviewing Arthur Danielian, Tamara Moskvina showcasing her video blogging skills, and etc

clairecloutier

IFS is reporting that several Russians headed to Skate Canada have not yet received visas (?), including the three Russian ladies (Valieva, Tukt, Kostornaia).

ETA: Okay, this press release from the Russian fed makes it sound like the visas will arrive, but perhaps not until Monday.

Ka3sha

According to this press-release, their visas were approved some time ago but they still haven’t got passports from the consulate.
And they do everything in their powers (together with ISU and Skate Canada organizers) to find a solution. AFAIU, participants flying from Russia will have to go into few days of quarantine before the event, so the team should have flown to Canada this Sunday. But we will see.

UPD. This made to daily evening news on Channel 1. According to the news, skaters will get their passports on Monday and fly to Canada on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Channel 1 preview before Skate America, Maxim Trankov as the main host
Alina Zagitova and Max discussing pairs elements, Evgenia Medvedeva interviewing Arthur Danielian, Tamara Moskvina showcasing her video blogging skills, and etc

Oh, that’s a horrendous Cruella costume for Sasha!!!! Maybe it’ll look better under lights?

J

Jeschke

Last edited by a moderator:

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, they included Samodurova and Guliakova… I don’t think either of them has any chance competing at the Olympics. Same for Pepeleva/Pleshkov. I think they just copied the national team including the reserve and didn’t bother to think about it much.

RoseRed

Well, they included Samodurova and Guliakova… I don’t think either of them has any chance competing at the Olympics. Same for Pepeleva/Pleshkov. I think they just copied the national team including the reserve and didn’t bother to think about it much.
They included Sofia Samodelkina, who's not even age eligible.

I don't think it's strictly the National team though, because isn't Nugumanova on that (and not Gulyakova)? And Kadyrova/Balchenko are on it as well. Plus there are other differences from what I remember.

hanca

Values her privacy
They included Sofia Samodelkina, who's not even age eligible.
I think they copied last years senior results. Artemeva/Nazarychev and Akhanteva/Kolesov did senior Russian cups last year, so they included them into it without knowing who will move to seniors and who won’t. A/N moved to seniors so it make some sense to be included, even though within seniors they are not very high in the ranking. Akhanteva/Kolesov did not move to seniors and has been the lowest scoring junior pair on this junior grand prix, so it doesn’t make sense to be on the list, but I think someone just copied it as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information