From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Irina Slutskaya - 1994 - 2006 (where she mostly medaled and won 2x, and had a heart condition). Plus she made the team in 3 Olympics and earned medals in 2 of them (silver & bronze).
??? Marco asked about long gap.

Mirai Nagasu, 2010, then not again @ Worlds until 2016. Like Tuk, a 5-yr gap.

Arakawa, only a 4-yr gap (between her first appearance in 1998, then back in 2003).

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Although in different disciplines, Zoe Jones went last in 2001 before getting back to Worlds in pairs in 2017. If she makes it again this year (I think she and Boyadji are still TBC), that will make a 24-year spread since her first appearance, the year Lipinski won :lol: Those are both probably records.

tony

You didn't even have to look that up did you? Not even the spelling? :slinkaway
It's funny, I was thinking about her and other skaters that took long competitive breaks and had short comebacks, such as Sara Falotico and Stephanie Zhang. But neither of them made it to any major internationals the second time around.

Todd Sand is another one, across disciplines, that had an 8-year break. Skated for Denmark last in 1982 I believe, and then was in pairs for the USA in 1990.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Rena Inoue - 1994 Worlds as a singles skater for Japan; 2003 Worlds as a Pairs skater for the USA, nine years later.

Maybe Dai Takahashi will join this club, in the year or two? Last Worlds was in 2013.

tony

Another set that doesn't quite match Tuktamysheva: both Sokolova and Arakawa had the same exact absences from Worlds, five years between appearances in 1998 and 2003.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
You didn't even have to look that up did you? Not even the spelling? :slinkaway
If there is any skater's name I won't butcher, it's most definitely Hristina Vassileva. ;)
It's funny, I was thinking about her and other skaters that took long competitive breaks and had short comebacks, such as Sara Falotico and Stephanie Zhang.
Anna Jurkiewicz was my initial thought, but was somewhat surprised to see she only attended Junior Worlds in the late 90s. It's too bad Falotico didn't represent Belgium for her comeback, as she could have achieved a 10 or 11 year gap between Worlds appearances.

mjb52

If it wasn't for 2016 Worlds, Vika and Nikita would have gone from 2014 to 2019 without appearing at Worlds. I think that one flies under the radar, but they have really stuck with it through some tough times. I was surprised by how many years Bobrova/Soloviev missed as well. They missed '14, '15 and '16 for various reasons, including what sounds like sort of unfair circumstances because of the misunderstanding about how long it took meldonium to leave the body. But I wasn't following the sport too closely at the time so I don't know that much about that part.

3T3T

I always wondered who was the new man at the boards with Krylova, never did it cross my mind it was Ovsyannikov. He looks so much older than her, admittedly she has hardly aged in the least 20 years.

I really hope her couple K/A go places but it won’t be easy in a very deep Russian junior field.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I always wondered who was the new man at the boards with Krylova, never did it cross my mind it was Ovsyannikov. He looks so much older than her, admittedly she has hardly aged in the least 20 years.

I really hope her couple K/A go places but it won’t be easy in a very deep Russian junior field.
They are only in their second season, will be in their third this year, Kaganovskaya is 15 and Angelopol is 17
they should debut in JGP this season if it is held.

Already they are being noticed, very good skating skills, lifts, expressive, imo the best russian junior to come out for decades

Their Last competition in Russian Cup Final imo they deserve to win but they are not known yet like the nepotism first placers
Diana Davis - you know who and Gleb Smolkin - the son of a russian actor.

Kaganovskaya / Angelopol SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZiMkyxdVA

Kaganovskaya / Angelopol LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7V-fxxnPhQ

with Krylova and Ovsyannnikov coaching them, I think they have a bright future
and Krylova will be back with a top pair very soon.

Last edited:

Bigbird

They are only in their second season, will be in their third this year, Kaganovskaya is 15 and Angelopol is 17
they should debut in JGP this season if it is held.

Already they are being noticed, very good skating skills, lifts, expressive, imo the best russian junior to come out for decades

Their Last competition in Russian Cup Final imo they deserve to win but they are not known yet like the nepotism first placers
Diana Davis - you know who and Gleb Smolkin - the son of a russian actor.

Kaganovskaya / Angelopol SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZiMkyxdVA&t=182s

Kaganovskaya / Angelopol LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7V-fxxnPhQ&t=207s

with Krylova and Ovsyannnikov coaching them, I think they have a bright future
and Krylova will be back with a top pair very soon.
Finally a really strong team. I preferred Katashinskaya for her absolutely fabulous dance and emoting skills but she was having troubles with her twizzles. Valerie however is my favourite male Russian Ice dancer, senior or junior. He does not live in the Land of Camp and he has some marvelous skating skills. He could become the Russian version of Scott Moir. But I will not be ubering them so hard yet. They're only kids. If only Katashinskaya could have found her own Drozd. Abashkina is okay but Ekaterina just moves and dances at a different level. But I've come to realize there is comparatively more posing and skating than dance in Russian Ice dance.

mjb52

Angelopol is just a great surname for an ice dancer, +1 to his parents for thinking ahead :)

irenemulindwairen

Finally a really strong team. I preferred Katashinskaya for her absolutely fabulous dance and emoting skills but she was having troubles with her twizzles. Valerie however is my favourite male Russian Ice dancer, senior or junior. He does not live in the Land of Camp and he has some marvelous skating skills. He could become the Russian version of Scott Moir. But I will not be ubering them so hard yet. They're only kids. If only Katashinskaya could have found her own Drozd. Abashkina is okay but Ekaterina just moves and dances at a different level. But I've come to realize there is comparatively more posing and skating than dance in Russian Ice dance.
Well said.

love_skate2011

Banned Member

Angelopol indeed reminds me of Scott Moir, Kaganovskaya is equally charming with good musicality and expressiveness, she can be at his level.

Angelopol seems not that short like Jean Luc that will hold their partnership down, plus hes only 17 so he will still grow, Kaganovskaya probably wont grow as tall as Hawayek base on Kaganovskayas mother height.

I say, a good Russian Ice dance couple worthy of uber, Katsalapov / Sinitsina wont have anything near their level.
lets just hope no major injuries that might derail their careers and partnership

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Good interview with Krylova: https://translate.google.com/transl...еред-нынешним-чемпионатом-мира-волнуются-все/ (tried to send to the google translated link, hope it worked)

I looooved K & O so it causes me unreasonable happiness that they are working together again.
I have stopped ubering young Russian ice dancers ever since Ilinykh/Katsalapov broke up and broke my heart.
I don't want to go through this again :drama:
My heart was broken twice. First when K&O had to retire due to Anjelika’s injury. Second when Ilynikh and KATSALAPOV broke up. I should not give my heart to more Russian ice dancers but that is hard to do.

NAOTMAA

My heart was broken twice. First when K&O had to retire due to Anjelika’s injury. Second when Ilynikh and KATSALAPOV broke up. I should not give my heart to more Russian ice dancers but that is hard to do.
Their retirement single handedly changed the landscape of ice dance heading up to SLC. It threw everything up in the air. I can't think of any other comparison in any other discipline like it did there. The sudden rise of F-P/M because the judges felt A/P shouldn't be allowed to dominate completely and A/P struggling with the expectations that they would dominate without their Russian rivals existing anymore. It makes you wonder what would have happened had K/O not had to retire. No Italians? A different A/P?

Bigbird

Their retirement single handedly changed the landscape of ice dance heading up to SLC. It threw everything up in the air. I can't think of any other comparison in any other discipline like it did there. The sudden rise of F-P/M because the judges felt A/P shouldn't be allowed to dominate completely and A/P struggling with the expectations that they would dominate without their Russian rivals existing anymore. It makes you wonder what would have happened had K/O not had to retire. No Italians? A different A/P?
Now most importantly does Ekaterina Katashinskaya have a partner yet? Pretty, pretty please.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Had K&O been around I would have continued to watch ice dance with interest. It took me many years to get interested in ID Again. I liked A&P but I was never their fan. At SLC they were clearly the best. However, it would have been great to see a dual between them and K&O for all four years. It would have been good for ice dance.

Ka3sha

Vasily Konov’s interview with Tamara Moskvina

Text version can be found here
UPD:

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Andrei Mozalev had a surgery on his left ankle.
I am fine. The leg aches a little, but the doctors say it's normal. The operation lasted a little over an hour. I had a cyst removed from the right bone of my left leg. This had to be done because the boot was pressing and it caused pain and didn't allow to me to train & jump properly. The doctors said that the treatment will not help, it is better to remove this cyst. Now we got time, so we decided to do it. I am in the hospital, after a while the stitches will be removed, it will take several days to recover, I will be at home and then we will slowly start training

Sylvia

TBD
Vasily Konov’s interview with Tamara Moskvina
I thought she deserved her own GSD thread :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vasily-konovs-interview-with-tamara-moskvina.108128/

Mishina/Galliamov interview article (March 8):
Having won the Russian Cup Final, a sports couple from St. Petersburg received the right to represent our country at the 2021 World Cup in Stockholm. Even the demonstration number on the show dedicated to the anniversary of Alexei Mishin, the students of Tamara Moskvina considered it as preparation for the main start of the season. In an interview with RIA Novosti correspondent Boris Khodorovsky, the skaters talked about the formation and formation of the pair, the motives for the transition from Lyudmila Velikova to Tamara Moskvina and expectations from the first world championship in their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information