From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

million$momma

I thought there was the rule that they had to choose which Russian cups they wanted to do (they couldn’t do both), but qualifying to senior nationals means the skater is allowed to skate in junior nationals too (if they want to and are age eligible).

It is quite understandable why Valieva, Khromykh and Usacheva feel that they don’t have to, considering that they have placed in top 5 at the senior nationals, but M/M must be either ill, injured, split up or some other similar thing. That means they have no chance to fight for their spot at the junior team and will lose the funding they had this year. (To be fair, considering how the skated this season, they would jot have much chance to get in top six, but it is still sad! I like them.)
Ahhhh...thanks for clarifying. I knew they had to pick something Jr vs Sr..

RoseRed

Tinami Amori

Tatiana Tarasova is invited to be a judge at the Jumping Contest.

Aleona Kostornaya was asked why she is not included in the Jumping Contest, and she replied "Because i have nothing to show, now".

Sylvia

TBD
You missed Akhanteva/Kolesov.
They qualified for Senior Nationals but WD/did not compete there.
Also Artem Kovalev
Thanks.

Skaters missing from the Junior Nationals roster who won at least one medal in the Russian Cup Junior series this past fall:

Matvei Vetlugin (II-1,III-1); J13 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102769.htm

Maria Zakharova (I-2,II-3); J14 last year
Alina Gorbacheva (IV-3,V-wd after 11th in SP); J12 last year

Sofya Tyutyunina/Alexander Shustitskiy (II-3,III-2); J5 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104421.htm
Ekaterina Katashinskaia/Alexander Vaskovich (I-2,V-wd after 3rd in RD); J6 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106650.htm

Ka3sha

Interview with Tatiana&Maxim

They are expecting a son :)

Ka3sha

Skaters missing from the Junior Nationals roster who won at least one medal in the Russian Cup Junior series this past fall:

Sofya Tyutyunina/Alexander Shustitskiy (II-3,III-2); J5 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104421.htm
Ekaterina Katashinskaia/Alexander Vaskovich (I-2,V-wd after 3rd in RD); J6 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106650.htm
Tyutyunina/Shustitsky withdrew due to Sofia's injury.
Here's her Instagram post:
Dear friends!
Many of you have already noticed that Sasha and I are not on the list of participants of the Russian Junior Championship 2021.
2020 turned out to be a difficult year, for us as well. There were many obstacles, but December decided to put an end to it and be remembered, perhaps forever.
On the final week of December, we were already slowly preparing for the Nationals, skating the program during the practice, and I a stupid fall. I injured my leg, went to the emergency room, and it turned out to be a fracture. Ligament damage near my ankle.
Then everything was like in a fog: hospital, crutches, three weeks in a cast, rehabilitation, re-learning how to walk and a long period of acceptation of this whole situation. It was a shock for our entire Team, a kind of disappointment.
It's very sad to write about this. Each year, the Russian Junior Championship has been the most important start of the season, which was simply impossible to miss.
I am very grateful to our entire team for the fact that we went through these difficulties together! Everyone was very supportive, especially @_alexander_shust_, @ rubleva.e and my parents, thanks to whom this difficult period passed much faster than it could have been. Thank you❤️

However, today is a very joyful day - I got on the ice for the first time after the fracture and there is no limit to my happiness. We're fine now! We are together again, recovering and moving forward!

So, see you soon! 😉

Sylvia

TBD
^^^Thanks for translating, @Ka3sha.

Matvei Vetlugin (II-1,III-1); J13 last year http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102769.htm
Vetlugin will miss the Russian [junior] championship due to injury:

"(Ilya) Yablokov, (Andrey) Anisimov will go from our school to Krasnoyarsk. Vetlugin has withdrawn due to an injury. He has old problems with his leg, which have now worsened," [Viktoria Volckova] Butsayeva said by phone.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Anastasia Shpilevaya announced retirement and will start a career in coaching.

From the interview about her struggle with C19 (machine translation)

When the quarantine was over, we went out on the ice for a week, and then I got seriously ill. Coronavirus. First she was treated at home. I called the doctors, I knew what I could take, but nothing helped - I had a temperature for a total of two months.

There was no improvement despite two courses of antibiotics. My kidneys started to hurt, and other problems began. Insane shortness of breath - I got up from bed to toilet and began to choke. I tried to walk, do breathing exercises, but nothing helped.

We decided to go to the hospital in the center of Gamaleya - this is our sports hall. I spent ten days there, all this time they cleaned my blood, because it was very bad. Complications went to the whole body. There was a strong intoxication. It got better, I was discharged, but at home the temperature still rose for some time. And since I was quarantined again after I was discharged from the hospital, the total break without training turned out to be huge.

Then I went out on the ice, I'm not exaggerating, for one hour. The next morning, my foot hurt so badly that I simply could not stand on it. I did not understand what was happening - there was no reason for such pain. Immediately, of course, to the hospitals, for examinations, and there they tell me - you have reactive arthritis. Complication after coronavirus. This happens, stay at home for another three weeks. I informed my partner and coaches about this, and I sat at home - what to do.

All this time I tried to do something at home. I rocked my abs, back and legs on the rug. It's not that anyway - not ice, not aerobic exercise. But she seemed to be cured. We started skating, and a week later my legs hurt again, now both and twice as bad. At first I thought that I could not miss any more, and started taking painkillers. All athletes know that it helps for a few weeks, and then it only gets worse. Because, firstly, there is an addiction to pills, and secondly, you are not treating anything, and the problem is getting worse. So it became worse for me than it was. I went to the examination again. Found a fracture of the metatarsal bone of both legs.

According to the doctors, after the illness all my joints weakened, my bones were not ready for the load, although I gave half the load than usual. What to do? I told my partner and coaches that I was being treated.

Two months of fever, kidney problem, severe shortness of breath, arthritis, bone weakness and fracture.

It's a deep shame that her suffering is not enough a warning for Russian Fed to take C19 seriously.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Anastasia Shpilevaya announced retirement and will start a career in coaching.

From the interview about her struggle with C19 (machine translation)

Two months of fever, kidney problem, severe shortness of breath, arthritis, bone weakness and fracture.

It's a deep shame that her suffering is not enough a warning for Russian Fed to take C19 seriously.
Such a horror story! She is so young and she went through all this. From what I read for some people it takes months to recover. Sad that it happened to her.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
"More than half of Moscow’s 12 million residents have been infected with the C19, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said Friday in an interview with the Rossiya-1 television channel. The number was based on city hall “analysis and research,” he added. It would be more than six times the 925,000 official cases registered in the capital since the start of the YNW. He added that less than 1% of recorded cases were reinfections."
www.themoscowtimes.com

So Muscovites were out celebrating the end of the restaurant curfews last night. For them life is starting to get back to normal.

If you add the asymptomatic cases and those who for some reason got an negative test when they clearly had C19 to the 50%+ the Mayor quoted, I'd suggest that Moscow is very close to having herd immunity.

Ka3sha

If you add the asymptomatic cases and those who for some reason got an negative test when they clearly had C19 to the 50%+ the Mayor quoted, I'd suggest that Moscow is very close to having herd immunity.
I believe that's why he said about 50% of Moscow population - counting and keeping in mind not only officially confirmed cases, but also asymptomatic and 'negative' ones.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I believe that's why he said about 50% of Moscow population - counting and keeping in mind not only officially confirmed cases, but also asymptomatic and 'negative' ones.
Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Ka3sha

Anastasia Panina's (MatchTV) interview with Natalia Linichuk

Tinami Amori

Alexander Volkov and his skater, Artem Kovalev (Angels of Pluschenko), are pushed out of their practice rink (another skating school took over), and are forced to practice on the borrowed ice at CSKA club.

The main group of Angels of Pluschenko moved to another rink, but it is in the far away suburb, in the middle of nowhere in the woods, in a village called Gorky-10, and it is difficult to get there from central Moscow.

Scott512

Alexander Volkov and his skater, Artem Kovalev (Angels of Pluschenko), are pushed out of their practice rink (another skating school took over), and are forced to practice on the borrowed ice at CSKA club.

The main group of Angels of Pluschenko moved to another rink, but it is in the far away suburb, in the middle of nowhere in the woods, in a village called Gorky-10, and it is difficult to get there from central Moscow.
What is plushie doing? Another school took over?

This is why stanislava left recently. She knew what was coming and I feel bad for coach Volkov.

Tinami Amori

What is plushie doing? Another school took over?

This is why stanislava left recently. She knew what was coming and I feel bad for coach Volkov.
Pluschenko moved his groups to a new rink, built in the middle of the woods in a far from Moscow village Gorky-10, which is technically a suburb of Moscow, but it is very far. Volkov remained at the old rink with his students. Because Pluschenko's groups moved, the rink now had open ice time. This free ice time had to be sold/used. Another skating school took the place of Pluschenko's Angels, but they needed even more ice time that what was left. So the rink management asked Volkov to move, to give new school more ice time.

Now Volkov's students (whichever left) are practicing at CSKA on borrowed ice, because new Plushy's rink (Gorky-10) is very very far for those who live in Moscow.

What is Pluschy doing? he is doing what's convenient for him and according to his plans.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That's too bad for Volkov and his students. He has some really promising juniors. I hope they are able to incorporate with one of the central rinks.

I wonder if we'll see some of the other skaters decide the commute is too long and start looking for other coaches/facilities.

Tinami Amori

That's too bad for Volkov and his students. He has some really promising juniors. I hope they are able to incorporate with one of the central rinks.

I wonder if we'll see some of the other skaters decide the commute is too long and start looking for other coaches/facilities.
Ekaterina Ryabova, who skated for Azerbaijan, already left about 2 months ago, for the same reasons. She went back to train with her father, Alexei Ryabov.

Tinami Amori

Eteri Tutberidze's "Champions on Ice" Tour is back on. So far the schedule shows Sochi, St. Petersburg, Kazan and Krasnodar. Dates (march/april). Zagitova, Scherbakova, Valieva, Medvedeva and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information