From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

And Mishin is back to wearing his mask below his nose at Jr Nationals.
Are they allowing people who have covid to go?
I find it hard to believe that a human being in their eighties can shake off covid the way a 15 year old can.

Good luck and good health to the professor.. But if you wear your mask improperly you should be asked to leave the facility by the federation. What if he starts sneezing? Oh yeah everybody's got their masks on correctly right? ;)

Scott512

Well...perhaps he likes to look down his nose at people😭
That's a good one !

But on a serious note perhaps the Russian federation can suspend coaches from the next event if they don't wear their masks properly. This man the professor in his eighties recently had C19. To put this man on an airplane to fly to Siberia with a 150 other people on the plane is probably not a good idea. Then going to Siberia where who knows how many degrees below 0 Is probably not a good idea.

There is no reason for Mishin coming off C19 to go to Siberia for a freaking junior nationals. It's ridiculous and dangerous. It's junior nationals not worlds or Olympics.

The Russian said eration has really dropped the ball as far as the pandemic goes for their skaters they have a couple of top pairs teams that are medal contenders in the Olympics and made them sick you season with the virus. Who knows with that really did to them physically and mentally and if they can even be at the same level next season to compete for Olympic medals. The federation has to be very careful now as do the coaches and skaters and cells and I think the skaters parents need to take a stronger role in their children's lives.

reut

So Muscovites were out celebrating the end of the restaurant curfews last night. For them life is starting to get back to normal.

If you add the asymptomatic cases and those who for some reason got an negative test when they clearly had C19 to the 50%+ the Mayor quoted, I'd suggest that Moscow is very close to having herd immunity.

Well, let's hope their herd immunity works better than in Manaus (spoiler: it doesn't work).

Bigbird

Are they allowing people who have ********* to go?
I find it hard to believe that a human being in their eighties can shake off ********* the way a 15 year old can.

Good luck and good health to the professor.. But if you wear your mask improperly you should be asked to leave the facility by the federation. What if he starts sneezing? Oh yeah everybody's got their masks on correctly right? ;)
It happens. It happens.

Marco

I hope my original post did not sound like I was picking on him. My point was that given all the cases for the skaters and coaches etc. in the past few months you would think the federation / venue would impose some clearer guidelines in these events on social distancing and self-protection. No one likes to wear masks but it is necessary.

Rina RUS

The jump competition (Channel One)

skatingguy

decently
I think that's the evolution of quad jumping we've been waiting - the current rules don't really make them worthwhile for skaters to try in the free skate but if they were allowed to repeat 2 quads it would be.

irenemulindwairen

I hope my original post did not sound like I was picking on him. My point was that given all the cases for the skaters and coaches etc. in the past few months you would think the federation / venue would impose some clearer guidelines in these events on social distancing and self-protection. No one likes to wear masks but it is necessary.
They don't seem to to care for their health and well being at all. What I also find irritating is the way both audience and coaches wear their masks. You are supposed to cover your nose too and not only your mouth.🙁

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
[Heavily edited from original because of @skatingguy posting one of the ISU rules regarding quad reps].

4S+1Eu+4S would be worth 19.9 base points, and potentially could score up to 24.75. As he performed it there, I would expect at least +4's. Just perfect technique all the way around and look how prepared he was for the landing of the first 4S.

Scenario 1: Skater A:
4S+Eu+4S
4T
3A+3T
3A
3Lz
3F
3S+3Lo
And that would be within the rules. Total base value for jumps: 70.0

Scenario 2: Skater A with same jumps distributed differently:
4S
4S+3T
4T
3A+Eu+3S
3A
3Lz
3F+3Lo
Still a 70.0, and more 'conservative', even with 3 quads. The fact that it's equal is a problem for me.

Scenario C: Skater B quad Lutz, but still only doing one quad in combo while Skater A (part 2) did two quad combos:
4Lz
4S
4T
4T+3T
3A
3A+Eu+3S
3Lz+3Lo
Total jumps base value: 76.0.

Problem for me is that the Skater A has the much harder combination in Scenario 1, but Skater A can only have three quad attempts as they only have a 4T and 4S. Skater B does 3 different types of quads, and is able to have 4 quad attempts plus the two 3A.

I think there needs to be a bonus for jumps done on the end of combinations (there has been discussion about this forever) or there needs to be a limit of 2 quads repeated and 2 triples repeated rather than 2 combined. Of course mistakes will make skaters have to scramble in their heads, but why even go for this Skater A program with that crazy sequence? Gives zero incentive.

Could you imagine 4Lz, 4S+3T, 4S, 4T+3T, 4T, 3A+Eu+3S, 3A, 3Lz?

Last edited:

Darkverse

Are they allowing people who have ********* to go?
I find it hard to believe that a human being in their eighties can shake off ********* the way a 15 year old can.

I know an 80+ year old who had the mildest case in her entire family. It's possible. And you stop being infectious after two weeks, which is the quarantine is that long.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I know an 80+ year old who had the mildest case in her entire family. It's possible. And you stop being infectious after two weeks, which is the quarantine is that long.
The 'rona is ****ing crazy. Some are affected for a long time, some don't feel nothing at all...some have mild symptoms and don't infect others, some get long-time fun with it only a couple of months after their infection.

"Wear your masks properly" should be the minimum rule at this competition. But...

Tinami Amori

Alexei Mishin is holding a show on March 06, 2021, in St. Petersburg - "Alexei Mishin's Jubilee - Stars Only". He invited Zagitova, Kostornaya, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Aliev, Kolyada, Pluschenko, pairs B/K, M/G, dance team S/B, and few others. Tickets are now on sale.

skatingguy

decently
4S+1Eu+4S would be worth 19.9 base points, and potentially could score up to 24.75. As he performed it there, I would expect at least +4's. Just perfect technique all the way around and look how prepared he was for the landing of the first 4S.

Scenario 1: Skater A:
4S+Eu+4S
4T
4T+3T
3A
3Lz
3F
3S+3Lo
And that would be within the rules. Total base value for jumps: 71.5

Scenario 2: Skater A with same jumps distributed differently:
4S
4S+Eu+3S
4T+3T
4T
3A
3Lz
3F+3Lo
Still a 71.5, and much less daring. That's a problem for me.

Scenario C: Skater B quad Lutz, but still only doing one quad in combo while Skater A did two quad combos:
4Lz
4S
4T
4T+3T
3A
3A+Eu+3S
3Lz+3Lo
Total jumps base value: 76.0.

Problem for me is that the Skater A has the much harder combination in Scenario 1, Skater B does 3 different types of quads as both do 4-quad programs, and Skater B therefore can add in a second 3A which makes the big difference in points, even though the 4Lz is only 1.8 points more than the 4S.

I think there needs to be a bonus for jumps done on the end of combinations (there has been discussion about this forever) or there needs to be a limit of 2 quads repeated and 2 triples repeated rather than 2 combined. Of course mistakes will make skaters have to scramble in their heads, but why even go for this Skater A four-quad program with that sequence

Could you imagine 4Lz, 4S+3T, 4S, 4T+3T, 4T, 3A+Eu+3S, 3A, 3Lz?
Skaters can only repeat 1 quad, so neither scenario with the two 4S & 4T work under the current rules.

tony

Skaters can only repeat 1 quad, so neither scenario with the two 4S & 4T work under the current rules.
Ugh yeah you’re right, I had the very rule up and the next sentence says only one quad can be repeated out of the two repetitions.

That’s even more stupid and not only does the tacking on difficult jumps to the end of a combo/3jump not get any more credit versus someone who plays it safer, but someone with only 2 types of quads is extremely limited in several ways versus the person who has the 3rd quad.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Alexei Mishin is holding a show on March 06, 2021, in St. Petersburg - "Alexei Mishin's Jubilee - Stars Only". He invited Zagitova, Kostornaya, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Aliev, Kolyada, Pluschenko, pairs B/K, M/G, dance team S/B, and few others. Tickets are now on sale.
I wish that Russia 1 Channel would cover this!

hanca

Values her privacy
Problem for me is that the Skater A has the much harder combination in Scenario 1, but Skater A can only have three quad attempts as they only have a 4T and 4S. Skater B does 3 different types of quads, and is able to have 4 quad attempts plus the two 3A.
But isn’t it skater’s A fault that he/she is doing harder combinations if it is not adequately rewarded? Skaters and their coaches know how the point system works, they also know what skills (jumps, spins etc) they have and it is up to them to find the best combination so that it is doable for them consistently but with as many points they can achieve. It is not only about skills, but also about strategy.

Similar way it works in many sports. Let’s say long distance running - the athlete is also unable to run at full speed from start to finish, so the athlete needs to know at what stage they should run at some slower speed (and they need to be not too slow otherwise they won’t be competitive, but not too fast otherwise they won’t last the whole race). At some stage they will speed up and they need to know when is the time to do so.

The same in many team sports, eg. footballand hockey- it is not only about the player skills but also about strategy?

tony

But isn’t it skater’s A fault that he/she is doing harder combinations if it is not adequately rewarded? Skaters and their coaches know how the point system works, they also know what skills (jumps, spins etc) they have and it is up to them to find the best combination so that it is doable for them consistently but with as many points they can achieve. It is not only about skills, but also about strategy.

Similar way it works in many sports. Let’s say long distance running - the athlete is also unable to run at full speed from start to finish, so the athlete needs to know at what stage they should run at some slower speed (and they need to be not too slow otherwise they won’t be competitive, but not too fast otherwise they won’t last the whole race). At some stage they will speed up and they need to know when is the time to do so.

The same in many team sports, eg. footballand hockey- it is not only about the player skills but also about strategy?
Absolutely it is the skater/teams responsibility to figure out how to maximize points. But my issue is that something like a 4S+Eu+4S wouldn't really have any extra payoff versus separating the 4S into two different elements and doing lesser difficult combinations.

There needs to be a way to reward this stuff following 2022 IMO.

Scott512

When I go into a grocery store or Walgreens I now wear a mask and a shield over that. I still can't believe so many of these coaches and skaters wear their masks the wrong way.

angi

Congratulation to Russia for hosting the most enjoyable super spreader event I've ever seen, the skating was truly amazing, the dance teams really committed to their performances in a way I don't remember many of them doing as much before and all four pairs were great, it was a joy to watch Tarasova/Morozov continue their mostly consistent strike. Reports say there were about 7000 people in that arena, about 95% disregarded any and every C*VID safety regulation known to mankind and I truly hope beyond hope there won't be tragic consequences as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information