From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebraswan

He probably thinks she got infected at a big Aleona Leonova's birthday party on Nov. 28th, Aliev was there too, and if i am correct, Gulyakova and Kolyada also... Aleona herself was wondering if that's what happened and posted "I was in close contact with Aliev but i am not sick". But, sources say Aliev has pneumonia not XYZ.

No, there was an article that said Liza felt sick before the Rostelecom gala (but she went ahead and participated 🙄), and got tested when she got back to SPB. I can believe she got infected before she got to Moscow since it can take a few days to feel symptoms and to test positive. But just because the skaters didn't test positive before the competition, that doesn't mean someone couldn't have already been infected and clearly there were plenty of chances to spread it around there. They had to travel to the competition, stay in hotels, etc. and it's pretty clear that a significant portion of the public there doesn't properly wear masks.

I don't think the Mishin skaters were at Alena's party...but there were photos w/Gubanova, Makar Ignatov, Ksenia Stolbova, Nikolai Morozov and a few others.

Marco

I am most concerned for legends like Mishin, Moskvina and Tarasova who attend training and events every day with these athletes and who are in high risk age groups. And I have not seen Mishin wear a mask probably so far. Young athletes may be able to fight it off or recover more quickly, but not their coaches / consultants. My best wishes to them and also wishing speedy recovery to all the sick skaters. At this rate, it looks like the RUS National title is either going to the strongest skater who could combat CV, or the weakest skater who caught it first and would have had enough time by Nationals to recover and regain her form.

Valieva reminds me of Czisny circa 2011 with the short program dress, the smooth skating and the I spin. I don't recall all those Rippon arms previously - I am hoping this is just her team adding difficulty for her and not that she needs the variation for extra height. The 3axel attempt was credible and I wish she would attempt it again in the free when she was obviously going to win by a landslide anyways. I still don't like Bolero for her but I find her moving across more easily now. She is so beautiful, but she does need some rhythm and some fire. If not on her face, at least in the arms.

tkaug

I don't like how Valieva does combos. A pause between the first jump and the toe(between euler and the sal as well), which can also be seen from some other ladies(Medvedeva, Ryabova, etc...). This isn't very rhythmical and doesn't look effortless so I wouldn't give a +4 or +5 to those jumps.

Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I just feel that you could mute Valieva’s Bolero program, play any other piece of music over it and it would be the same. She could even skate it without music because the choreography has absolutely nothing to do with Bolero.

I like the kid but this program has no soul, and soul is what Bolero needs :(

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I just feel that you could mute Valieva’s Bolero program, play any other piece of music over it and it would be the same. She could even skate it without music because the choreography has absolutely nothing to do with Bolero.

You know what I’ve enjoyed most about Valieva’s Bolero program? Her change-of-edge spiral within the choreo sequence! It’s a spiral held just long enough to be admired...although I wish it to be held a little longer. I’m surprised that others haven’t pointed it out yet...although I understand that the jumps & spins grab headlines.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Oh my.....that program is just wrong for her. First bolero should be restricted to people over 18. Her short is spot on for her. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

S

Scott512

Shcherbakova is back up and practicing. She could not have had pneumonia or XYZ, given the time span from getting sick to recovering. Various sources posted her diagnosis but those were assumptions. The correct one was "cold-like symptoms", you can get over a cold quickly.
It is hard to believe Anya would be back training full force if she really had pneumonia even if it was just walking pneumonia and not full pneumonia in both lungs. I had Walking Pneumonia many years ago and it took me over a month to recover. Or maybe when you're coached by EG you can overcome things faster. ;)

Scott512

Aliev has pneumonia, Scherbakova had pneumonia, is that a new way how Russia keeps their statistics of C0vid cases down? Crafty!
What you don't trust Vladimir and the gang?

I hope Aliev has a quick recovery like Anya did from pneumonia or the bad cold or whatever it was. but I honestly don't get why he's skating at all this season considering the health risks and considering he's the defending European Champion. There probably won't be a European Championship this year and Aliev had ankle surgery in September I believe.

hanca

Values her privacy
What you don't trust Vladimir and the gang?

This isn’t about trusting the skaters. Skaters will say that they have whatever the doctor told them they have. But if the doctors received a directive that too high level of the C illness are undesirable and that the doctors surgery with the highest numbers of C illness will get their funding cut, the doctors would have an incentive to tell their patients that they have something else than they have, just to keep the official numbers down.

DobrinFan

The head of the FFKKR told how the composition of participants will be formed for Nationals​

"The composition will be formed literally in the coming days. Everything (non-participation of a number of skaters in the Russian Cup stages) will be taken into account," Gorshkov said by phone.

"The timing of the Russian championship remains the same, no changes. The stands will be filled to 35% of the arena's capacity, but everything may change depending on the (epidemiological) situation. The decision on the number of spectators depends on the leaders of the region," he added.

layman

I don't ever comment on costumes (this is the first time) but I just can't help thinking that Kamila's costumes are too busy and fight her beautiful lines.

Furthermore, for a culture (like Russia) that's so steeped in the tradition of ballet and elegant movement, I think Kamila is looking a bit unrefined (which I don't blame on her at all but rather her choreographer). Why can't they have her work with a ballet master? She has beautiful long limbs that could be used to great artistic effect (if someone would train her how to do it). I think she has the potential to have the beautiful posture, port de bras and deportment that we saw from Oksana Baiul (and Sasha Cohen).

muffinplus

Um Valieva does do ballet training... as does the whole team IIRC. I was watching a video of her and Khromykh doing it a while ago

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This isn’t about trusting the skaters. Skaters will say that they have whatever the doctor told them they have. But if the doctors received a directive that too high level of the C illness are undesirable and that the doctors surgery with the highest numbers of C illness will get their funding cut, the doctors would have an incentive to tell their patients that they have something else than they have, just to keep the official numbers down.

Just like the hospital where my sister-in-law, who works in ICU, reports that crates of the Sputnik V have remained in cold storage for months, awaiting orders from ??? to be used. Everybody afraid to ask too many Qs. Just put on the PPE every day, wash hands, shut up.

Bigbird

Still waiting on the total package from Russia. Valieva to me is not really smooth. She muscles through her jumps and it looks okay now because she's a tiny sprite. Hopefully Kostornaia does not flake out and that Sophie S. develops into something special. Gots to say the boys are looking more interesting than the girls and the pairs a lot more interesting than dance, ATM.

layman

Baiul was a very charismatic skater but I don't know that I personally ever found her to be a super balletic one necessarily.

Polaris

Furthermore, for a culture (like Russia) that's so steeped in the tradition of ballet and elegant movement, I think Kamila is looking a bit unrefined (which I don't blame on her at all but rather her choreographer). Why can't they have her work with a ballet master? She has beautiful long limbs that could be used to great artistic effect (if someone would train her how to do it). I think she has the potential to have the beautiful posture, port de bras and deportment that we saw from Oksana Baiul (and Sasha Cohen).

Huh? Valieva is the most balletic of any Russian female skater, past and present. That's a huge part of her appeal.

mjb52

How quickly we forget lol. I guess I associate her much more with her free program. I'll have to go back and watch those two and see what I think!

Elka

How quickly we forget lol. I guess I associate her much more with her free program. I'll have to go back and watch those two and see what I think!
I watched that black swan program in Copenhagen at EC (together with a Russian choreograph, who admitted that "this is the program for her". Otherwise of course not liking her as a rival to the Russians). This was quite unforgettable. The free program of 1994 I remember from the BBC commentators "If she would do this on the street she would be arrested". That also got the comment "program for her" from the rivalling team.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Shcherbakova is back up and practicing. She could not have had pneumonia or XYZ, given the time span from getting sick to recovering. Various sources posted her diagnosis but those were assumptions. The correct one was "cold-like symptoms", you can get over a cold quickly.
Mayo clinic says a cold runs for to days. I don't remember when she stopped skating. But I will say that kids who want to do something will downplay their symptoms. I just hope she is safe.

Tinami Amori

Re: Shcherbakova's recovery.
Yesterday some TV station was filming (at the rink) a special about Elizaveta Turysbaeva, and in the back-ground Anna Shcherbakova appeared skating/standing several times. Here are some clips of it.
Elizaveta's stories.
foto fr video

Re: filming of Elizaveta's practice.
here is a long video clip in IG (Anna skates by a few times as well).

Mayo clinic says a cold runs for to days. I don't remember when she stopped skating. But I will say that kids who want to do something will downplay their symptoms. I just hope she is safe.
Anna felt the symptoms of "cold/flue" on the 20th of November. On Nov. 28-29 she "lost the symptoms" and on Dec. 02 a post stated that she was up and practicing. That's less than two weeks... to me it is "grippe" or a flue. I had plenty of those back in Moscow between ages of 4 and 13 (and so did half of my class-mates), and they took place in Nov/early Dec and lasted 8-12 days.

Last edited:

mjb52

I have this very vague memory of a conversation on here at some point about how Russia uses the word pneumonia and that it wasn't necessarily the same as in the US. Am I totally misremembering that? Maybe back when Tuktamysheva was sick? Is this ringing any bells for anybody else or is it just a dream I once had?

Ka3sha

I have this very vague memory of a conversation on here at some point about how Russia uses the word pneumonia and that it wasn't necessarily the same as in the US. Am I totally misremembering that? Maybe back when Tuktamysheva was sick? Is this ringing any bells for anybody else or is it just a dream I once had?
As far as I know, pneumonia is a pneumonia everywhere, and even in Russian language it - пневмония/ pnevmoniya - is pronounced close to pneumonia.

Tinami Amori

You are right, but it is not that simple. Russians use the word "Pneumonia" medically and casually. Medically "пневмония" is pneumonia. But the same word for pneumonia "пневмония" is (often incorrectly mistaken for grippe) used for "воспаление легких" - inflamation of lungs (lung infection), and that can be "light" or "heavy" condition.

The "light condition" is just a very heavy cold, when your lungs get filled up with mucousy liquid and you cough a lot, and it lasts 6-8 days. You get it from eating snow, sucking of icicles, and/or running around on a cold day, getting sweaty and then take your coat off to cool off. You can also get it if you skate or ski, get hot and remove your jacket and drink something cold.

Ka3sha

I will not pretend that I am an epidemiologist, but 🆘 .
This so called lung infection couldn't be caused by simply drinking something cold/eating snow or skating. It is still a rather serious (depending on a case, of course) lung inflammation that it usually caused by infections and bacterium, not a simple cold/flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information