From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobrinFan

Really??? I had no idea! 😂

Guess you guys missed some interviews so I will help you out.

Skaters Popova and Khodykin told the story of their love. The couple has been living together for more than a year

Universiade champion Betina Popova, who performed in a duet with Sergei Mozgov, as well as the bronze medalist of the European Championship Denis Khodykin (paired with Daria Pavlyuchenko) told how the relationship between them began. Popova and Khodykin are currently living together.

- Let's clarify the situation, why we write in this duet. The fact is that Denis and Betina are dating. Therefore, they do not violate self-isolation, but live together. How did it all start? Who was the initiator?

Betina:
It all started with figure skating. This is the most precious thing that it has given me. The best gift from figure skating.

Denis: It all started with friendship. We made friends at some starts, talked. Then, after the Russian championship, a friend invited me to his gallery of paintings, and I called Betina with me. Then we began to communicate outside the competition.

- Was it a date?

Denis:
No, then we were friends.

Betina: I don’t even think that we had any dates, to be honest (laughs). Just at some point we thought: “So, well, probably it's time to live together. It will be more convenient like that. ”

“And how long have you been living together?”

Betina:
More than a year.

- So you were friends, and then just started life together.

Denis:
Well, somehow, yes.

- How did your parents and coaches react?

Betina:
Oh, fine, sort of. There is no enmity, we are not Romeo and Juliet, there are no problems, we all positively received it. The main thing is that we are well.

- On the one hand, you seem to advertise your relationship. Nevertheless, people are very surprised when you post joint photos. Do subscribers often ask you such questions?

Betina:
Ask mainly Denis. No one asks me, but him constantly. Once, even under the video of his speech, there was such a comment: “Oh, so he met with Betina,” and the answer to him: “Come on? This is a pity. ”

- According to statistics, there are a lot of stains in quarantine, everyone swears. Have you passed this test?

Betina:
I don’t know at all who has such problems, because we don’t not swear, we don’t understand how to go out and get in touch with other people after quarantine. What to do? It will be necessary to part: he will go about his business, I will do my own. We are so used to being together all the time, which is so comfortable.

Denis: Basically, even before quarantine, when Betina finished sports and she had nothing to do, we were together, except for the time when I was at the university. Betina went to my training.

Betina: Yes, I came to them for training, looked, enjoyed this miracle. I didn’t understand how all these paired things are possible at all. This is something incredible, ”the athletes told Sport24 correspondents Emma Hajiyeva and Konstantin Lesik.

Here is a longer version:

"Denis is the most expensive thing that figure skating gave me." The first joint interview with Popova and Khodykin

Google translation link

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

the correct title should be

"Denis is the most precious thing that figure skating gave me." The first joint interview with Popova and Khodykin

Sylvia

TBD
Jonathan Guerreiro:
Google translated excerpt:
“Everything is fine in Novogorsk, we train in sweat, two workouts a day, a swimming pool, a bath, physiotherapy, a gym six days a week. The conditions are cool, Tiffany and I like everything. It's cool that we are isolated from the outside world. Over time, it may be difficult to endure, but we are absolutely safe and only think about training, "Guerreiro said over the phone.

Ka3sha

Maria’s announcement:
When you first feel the taste of victory, it seems to you that it will never end. Unfortunately, this is not true, and it all comes to an end at some point! My path was thorny, but very interesting and colorful. I had the best mentors, and each memory is in its own way unique and loved. I was lucky to work with a large and friendly teams. I am grateful to God for my parents who gave me such a life, supported my every move, experienced my every fall and rejoiced in every victory. The time has come to tell you about my feelings, the experience that I kept for a very long time. An unsuccessful season followed the Olympics, but I knew that these were temporary difficulties and that I can overcome. I continued to fight realizing that I had not yet skated to my full potential. I always had sincere love for everything I did. But there are circumstances that slowly destroyed my faith, put impassable obstacles, and then the realization came - this is the end. The end of my sports career. Different factors appeared in a way , it shook my strength, did not allow me to fight, despite my desire. Even the long and difficult work with psychologists didn’t help me properly. After hard experiences, I started to have health problems that finally led to such a difficult decision. We are unable to turn back the clock. One message isn’t enough to fit all that is important for me to say. My soul is torn. With tears in my eyes, I remember and will remember for the whole life all the people who put their strength, faith, time and love into me. No words are enough to express what is in my soul.

Hanna

Skating junkie
It's not really surprising but I was still :fragile: when Sotskova's message appeared on top of my IG feed. I knew what it was even before translating. :(

I'm so glad she got to have her successful Olympic season and experience. :) I'll fondly remember so many of her programs, especially some of the junior programs. And the great 2017-2018 SP.

DobrinFan

Maria is getting married soon! Congrats to her and her fiance 👰🤵

Athlete's trainer Svetlana Sokolovskaya - “I knew about the end of my career back in November. And of course I supported. Masha is very nice to me. I know that everything that happened in her life has died down. Time is healing. She is an honest man, and now she’s getting ready for her wedding "Masha has a long and happy journey ahead! Go ahead, Masha!"

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov’s love story for TeamRussia in honor of Russian day of Love, Family and Faith

hanca

Values her privacy
Maria will be totally fine. I wish her sparkling personality off the ice translated better on the ice - but she was a pleasure to watch anyway.
Sparkling personality? I never found her very expressive. I am sure she has some personality, but I don’t feel she ever shown it on the ice. To me it seems she is a bit like Victoria Sinitsina. That’s not to criticise her skating, but regardless ho clean she would skate, I just never managed to connect with it. Nevertheless, I do wish her all her best fo the future.

Bigbird

Sparkling personality? I never found her very expressive. I am sure she has some personality, but I don’t feel she ever shown it on the ice. To me it seems she is a bit like Victoria Sinitsina. That’s not to criticise her skating, but regardless ho clean she would skate, I just never managed to connect with it. Nevertheless, I do wish her all her best fo the future.
She was a lot more memorable with her first coach. Sometimes big and sweeping isn't for everyone. I absolutely get Ksenia Sinitsyna but she may be a bit too artsy and character based for some.

hanca

Values her privacy
She was a lot more memorable with her first coach. Sometimes big and sweeping isn't for everyone. I absolutely get Ksenia Sinitsyna but she may be a bit too artsy and character based for some.
I mentioned Victoria Sinitsina, the ice dancer, not Ksenia Sinitsina, who skates singles. Victoria Sinitsina is like an ice queen - elegant, but appears very cold. Not much fire in her.

Perky Shae Lynn

I said off the ice darling. Off the ice. She had no personality on the ice.

Bigbird

I mentioned Victoria Sinitsina, the ice dancer, not Ksenia Sinitsina, who skates singles. Victoria Sinitsina is like an ice queen - elegant, but appears very cold. Not much fire in her.
I get you. In comparison I really like Ksenia.

Edit: Maybe Zhulin has choreographed them this way? Usova and Zhulin were somewhat off-putting to me at times because he never seemed to share the ice with her. She almost seemed like a prop in his hands.

hanca

Values her privacy
I get you. In comparison I really like Ksenia.

Edit: Maybe Zhulin has choreographed them this way? Usova and Zhulin were somewhat off-putting to me at times because he never seemed to share the ice with her. She almost seemed like a prop in his hands.
Re: Ksenia Sinitsina, I don’t want to comment on skating of a girl of her age. There is a lot I like, but also things she will need to work on. However, at the age of 15 I don’t expect her to be ‘the final product’. A lot depends on the next season or two, how kind puberty will be to her.

Amy L

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Konstantinova about the switch:
`I think it's obvious when the season goes wrong and you can't overcome you begin thinking - first what have you done wrong, but at some point you come to a conclusion it's not just you, but the situation, the environment - it's a dead end. I analysed all I did this and previous season. We worked with Chebotareva for many years and it was great, but at the age of 20 I had to make the decisions about my life and career and not just go with the flow just because am used to it. When you hit a dead end and nothing changes after you try things you need to make a change. The attitude `I'll just sit here and do the same and hope something changes' does not work. I miss Chebotareva, we had a great time, working with her was great, I miss her, am so grateful to her. She is going through a hard time now and I want to support her.

Lina: you were trying out with the St. Petersburg coaches and it didn't work. Why?
Stanislava: am not going to comment on the rumours. Of course I was checkign the options in St. Petersburg and Moscow, of course when all your relatives, studies are in St. Petersburg you would first try that. Moscow is a different city and all, but Moscow offers more options. The rumours `No one wanted to work with Konstantinova' and `Konstantinova was not offered to join the training camp' - I will not say whether it's true or not, but perhaps I was the one to decline? I plan working hard and prove at the age of 20 you can change, progress. I want to prove things. It's not the best motivation, but that's what I have now.

Lina: why Pluschenko?
Stanislava: I work in Pluschenko's group with Volkov. I am so grateful to them both for giving me a chance, believing in me and working with me. The decision to work with them because it's hard to make a decision to accept an adult skater who is not on the top shape, it's a huge responsibility and I respect their decision so much.

Lina: So Pluschenko himself does not work with you?
Stanislava: We work on the same ice, I haven't worked with him much with him yet - they were in a training camp in Kislovodsk, we remained in Moscow. I spent a couple of practices with the group and I loved it, but I didn't have a chance to work with Pluschenko himself yet.

On working with Trusova
Konstantinova: I did not work with her on the same ice. It's not my n.1 goal competing with the girls with the quads - I don't have them. My goal is to get into my own best shape, to revive all I can and be the most consistent, to get on the top of my potential and then perhaps try something new. We work on the technique a bit. I can't talk about any real plans after spending 3 months home an I wasn't in a particularly good shape before the quarantine either. Of course the first 3 top girls in the Nationals are the girls with the quads, but we have great athletes who skate without the quads and there is a competition. There are competitions to compete.

On the differences between St. Petersburg and Moscow: coming first was like an electrical shock: in St. Petersburg I lacked energy, it was so hard to get up, get out. In Moscow I would get up at 5am easily and run to the rink. The same on the ice. It's as if I someone changed my batteries. Moscow refilled me with energy. When I come back to St. Petersburg things are slow.

On her friendship: she is best friends with Anastasia Skoptseva, they are good friends with Eva Kuts and Maria Sotskova.

On friendship with Medvedeva: We were sharing a room in a competition and communicated quite well. She is very friendly and easy going. I'm also in good terms with Zagitova - we are also communicating well when we meet in the competitions.

The SP is already done, the LP is in the process, but there is no hurry. It's not a POTO

On being tall: it's harder to jump for at all person - your limbs are longer and it's harder to regroup. I also lack space on the ice rink from time to time, so working on a smaller rink now is a good thing. The rotation is slower when you are tall.

On Kolyada's leaving to Mishin: We haven't been in touch for a while, so best of luck to him and support to Chebotareva. We had a great time in the team but then things went wrong and I wish everyone well.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Long emotional interview with Elena Berezhnaya:

The last bit about Steven Cousins is pretty sad can anyone translate?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The last bit about Steven Cousins is pretty sad can anyone translate?
I tried listening to it, but it seems that they both have some kind of speech impediment. While it's understandable in Berezhnaya's case but the host.... ugh

Bigbird

I tried listening to it, but it seems that they both have some kind of speech impediment. While it's understandable in Berezhnaya's case but the host.... ugh
He's not very good. Had the woman crying and giving her water. She needs tissues!!

Amy L

Alina Ustimkina (19) and Nodari Maisuradze (32) just got married today. So congratulations (?) to a teenager marrying a man she met when he was on her coaching team! :shuffle: I admit they are cute together on Instagram, but my in inner old hag is concerned. This is his first marriage as well so I'll give him at least a few brownie points that he isn't Morozoving this girl.

hanca

Values her privacy
For god‘s sake. It’s their wedding day. Can’t we just be happy for those 2 without desperately searching for any black mark?
I can’t say that I am happy for him. I still struggle to understand how an adult man failed to notice when a coach (Pavlova) is emotionally abusing his partner into such an extent that the partner get anorexia. And that happened with two different partners, Iliuschetchkina and Antipova. So I don’t really have a very high opinion about Maisuradze; in my view he is a coward and a weakling, because he didn’t stand up for the girls. It did cut his competitive career quite short and that serves him right, but the girls didn’t deserve what they went through.

On the other hand, I always liked Ustimkina’s skating, and if she is happy, I am happy for her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information