From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

In all honesty the only cringing I have ever done with figure skating costumes is (and I don't know if they were made by ppl inexperienced figure skating dress makers or wrong material)when the ladies leave their butt cheeks hanging out there and wedgies galore. There seems to be a special method to fix the prob. but a lot of skater's costume makers obviously don't know the secret.

There was a time when the bottom of the costumes was designed to look like that! :lol: I think it was when high cut swimming togs etc were all the rage too.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUTg6MlqvHY

Also click onto here at this time stamp for the amazing lift in Natalia Mishkutionok and Artur Dmitriev's program: https://youtu.be/OUTg6MlqvHY?t=116

barbarafan

starrynight

In respect of Radionova's costume - I think that had a lot to do with her growing a lot taller that season and the body of the costume being too short. However, it's interesting that she said in an interview that costume was the most expensive one she ever had.

But it's interesting that Aljona Savcheno's husband managed to put on one of her costumes as a joke - apparently the Lisa McKinnon dresses have a lot of stretch to them!!

Click here to see: https://www.tiktok.com/@aljonasavchenko/video/6809365054689938693

Last edited:

barbarafan

In respect of Radionova's costume - I think that had a lot to do with her growing a lot that season and the body of the costume being too short. However, it's interesting that she said in an interview that costume was the most expensive one she ever had.
you could be right. I just thought of her as there was talk of ppl not liking the costume she was wearing in a program(maybe the Titanic one) and a very well known designer offered to make her one. Possible it was the only FS costume she had designed and made. Anyway it was lovely except when her skirt went up on all spins and jumps.

Sylvia

TBD
Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss costumes in the Trash Can? :)

This news (also relevant here) was posted in the OES thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oes-news-2020-2021-season.107303/#post-5824478
Oleg Vasiliev is the new head coach of the Belarus figure skating team. He is moving there to work full-time.
Pairs team Bogdana Lukashevich/ Aleksandr Stepanov switched from Russia to Belarus
ETA article re. Bogdana Lukashevich and Alexander Stepanov switching to BLR:
Lukashevich/Stepanov's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054802.htm

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss costumes in the Trash Can? :)

This news (also relevant here) was posted in the OES thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oes-news-2020-2021-season.107303/#post-5824478

ETA article re. Bogdana Lukashevich and Alexander Stepanov switching to BLR:
Lukashevich/Stepanov's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054802.htm
Well, 24 and 29 year old, they still could have another 11 years, that’s three Olympic cycles!

Tinami Amori

Mishin's team is still waiting for ice rinks in St. Pete to open. Reminding: Mishin's group chose not to go to a training camp, due to Mishin's age restriction. Now it looks like TeamMishin, with 3 ladies on the National Team, incl. alts., are the only ones who are not training.

Tuktamysheva and Samodurova are spending few days in a rural area outside of St. Pete, enjoying swimming in the lake.
cute foto:

video clip Liza swimming:

Tinami Amori

Elena Ilinykh posted something interesting on her IG: training a dance lift with Dmitrii Soloviev and no explanation...

Bigbird

Elena Ilinykh posted something interesting on her IG: training a dance lift with Dmitrii Soloviev and no explanation...
Probably old. Just reminscing. I get the vibe that he's her favourite person to skate with and maybe they'll do something interesting together in the future.

hanca

Values her privacy
Probably old. Just reminscing. I get the vibe that he's her favourite person to skate with and maybe they'll do something interesting together in the future.
My guess would be a show. But then again, Bobrova is not pregnant any more, so would he want to skate in shows with Ilynikh when he can skate with Bobrova?

starrynight

Mishin's team is still waiting for ice rinks in St. Pete to open. Reminding: Mishin's group chose not to go to a training camp, due to Mishin's age restriction. Now it looks like TeamMishin, with 3 ladies on the National Team, incl. alts., are the only ones who are not training.

Tuktamysheva and Samodurova are spending few days in a rural area outside of St. Pete, enjoying swimming in the lake.
cute foto:

video clip Liza swimming:

It would be disastrous for that team if Mishin fell ill. So I think it is wise for him to not travel for training. It will probably be so long before there is competition that a little longer off ice will not matter so much.

Liza and Sofia look like they are enjoying themselves with the outdoor exercise.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
On the Russian forum they say that Spiridonov retired and Lina Kudriavtseva is looking for a partner. She would be a decent partner for Korovin. If she sorts out her throw jumps, she was a pretty reliable jumper on side by side jumps. Korovin does not seem a very tall guy, but Kudriavtseva seems to be tiny, so that could be a good match.

J

Jeschke

Dammit, I always liked Spiridonov.
Even with mistakes that team was way more pleasant to watch than half of the teams at Euros.

hanca

Values her privacy
It seems that there are these new pairs created in this off season:

Karina Akopova/ Nikita Rahmanin (Akopova used to skate with Shagalov. Will be seniors because Rakhmanin aged out.)
Valeria Ponosova/ Dmitri Yalin (she has experience with pairs, skated it last season, but did not have very good results with her previous partner. Will be seniors because Yalin aged out.)
Dasha Boyarintseva/ Maksim Shagalov (Are both junior eligible, but Shagalov have been skating only in seniors the past year. There is less competition doing seniors B than fighting it with all those talented junior Russian pairs.)
Victoria Vasilieva/Nikita Volodin (She is new to pairs. Will be seniors because Volodin aged out.)
Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov (He was skating with Vyslobokova last season. They are still eligible for juniors.)
Veronika Varentsova/ Dmitri Bushlanov (She skated last season with Elisei Ivanov. Will be seniors because Bushlanov aged out.)
Stanislava Vislobokova/Elisei Ivanov - will be seniors because Ivanov aged out.

Someone also said that Alisa Efimova could skate with Semenenko, but I don't think it was meant that they are actually created. It may have been said as a sarcastic remark.

That still leaves Efimova, Osipova, Buzaeva, and Korovin available.

Just to clarify, this is from discussions at Russian forum, so I can't guarantee that it is correct.

J

Jeschke

I love Kostiukovich and Briukhanov even more but I just can’t see their styles matching at all!
Hope they (actually exist and) prove me wrong!

Any word on Vislobokova?

hanca

Values her privacy
I love Kostiukovich and Briukhanov even more but I just can’t see their styles matching at all!
Hope they (actually exist and) prove me wrong!

Any word on Vislobokova?
As above, they say that she will skate with Elisei Ivanov (that means seniors).

I can’t see why Kostiukovich/Briukhanov could not work. They won’t have the same style as Kostiukovich with Yalin, but they may be pretty decent too, if her jumps are back.

Someone also wrote that Akhanteva is not at the rink, Kolesov skates on his own. Which may not mean anything, she may be ill or needs to pass exams at school, or it may mean that they also didn’t survive...

hanca

Values her privacy
Has anyone heard anything about Balabanova/Sviatchenko? They were a new pair last season, very good at the Russian cups, qualified for Russian seniors nationals (2nd and 1st at the Russian cups - in seniors with very decent scores 194 and 186). They were not chosen for JGP even though they were age eligible because they were a new pair so the federation did not know about them when they were handing out the events. Then they withdrew from senior nationals (that cold have been injury or illness). They did not compete at junior nationals because they did only one junior cup and therefore did not qualify to junior nationals (even though they placed 3rd with score 186). After the season he aged out. I expected to see them (or just him) at the national team -in reserve. Volodin who also aged out is in junior reserve, and Yalin, who also aged out is in senior reserve. Sviatchenko had better results than both Volodin and Yalin and is not on the team. I wonder why. If he split up with Balabanova, that would not prevent him to get on the team, after all, Volodin and Yalin also got on the team after splitting up with their partners. So what happened there? I thought they were quite promising, considering their results in such a short time.

And if they split up, could he skate with Kudriavtseva? Or with Efimova?

Bigbird

My guess would be a show. But then again, Bobrova is not pregnant any more, so would he want to skate in shows with Ilynikh when he can skate with Bobrova?
Why not skate with both? Both pairs are actually quite different and interesting. They are both moms and they both need the time to attend to their personal lives.

hanca

Values her privacy
Why not skate with both? Both pairs are actually quite different and interesting. They are both moms and they both need the time to attend to their personal lives.
I don’t think it is that easy, otherwise more skaters would be doing it. One needs to get used to their partner and constantly switching between them must be affecting the quality of skating, because each of them would have a different style.

Bigbird

I don’t think it is that easy, otherwise more skaters would be doing it. One needs to get used to their partner and constantly switching between them must be affecting the quality of skating, because each of them would have a different style.
Actually dancers do it every day and if there was ever a pair smart enough and hard working enough and talented enough and experienced enough it would be these two. I really liked their shows in 2019.

hanca

Values her privacy
Actually dancers do it every day and if there was ever a pair smart enough and hard working enough and talented enough and experienced enough it would be these two. I really liked their shows in 2019.
I don’t think high level competitive dancers do it every day. I used to do Latin-American and ballroom dancing and everyone had their stable partner.

Bigbird

I don’t think high level competitive dancers do it every day. I used to do Latin-American and ballroom dancing and everyone had their stable partner.

They're no longer competitive (ice) dancers. They are professionals and no less capable than seasoned ballet dancers who do it from time to time. I am always game for interesting ice dancing. But no problem if you think differently.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Ballet dancers switch partners more often than not if they are in ballet companies, sometimes at the last minute, sometimes without rehearsal at all. The stable partnerships in companies are fewer and usually limited to prestige couples, couples that outside choreographers like to pair together, or couples based on necessity, like height or, sometimes stronger direction. (Corps members, who do a lot of partnered work, have spoken about [almost] always being on one side of the stage or the other when there is mirrored corps work, ex: working arabesque leg into the wings.)

Eislauffan

It seems that there are these new pairs created in this off season:
Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov (He was skating with Vyslobokova last season. They are still eligible for juniors.)
Stanislava Vislobokova/Elisei Ivanov - will be seniors because Ivanov aged out.

Just to clarify, this is from discussions at Russian forum, so I can't guarantee that it is correct.

Interesting, musical chairs in Russia. We'll see if this is all true and will happen. I think Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov could work. Polina is a similar type - a petite blonde with lots of personality. Hopefully she'll get her jumps back.
Nice, if Stanislava continues. In February, I heard that she has retired from skating.
We'll see where all these new teams train and who are their coaches.

hanca

Values her privacy
Interesting, musical chairs in Russia. We'll see if this is all true and will happen. I think Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov could work. Polina is a similar type - a petite blonde with lots of personality. Hopefully she'll get her jumps back.
Nice, if Stanislava continues. In February, I heard that she has retired from skating.
Stanislava may continue (if the discussion on Russian forum is true), but Ivanov isn’t a particularly great skater. Last season he didn’t compete (with his previous partner) at the Russian cup events and therefore did not have a chance to qualify to the nationals, but they did compete at Russian cup final and placed 8th out of nine pairs, with the score of 163. (163 is not very good for Russian senior pairs. For comparison, the pair placing last at the senior nationals scored 171). So even if it is true that Vyslobokova will continue, we may see her only at Russian cup events and not at the nationals or international competitions. Also, Ivanov seem to be changing his partners quite often. I remember three or four previous partners in the recent few years.

happycamper2554

Does he have tripples? I watched his fee from last year and they did 2S eu 2S and 2A. Obviously it could have been his previous partners ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information