From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And was seen at Pluschenko’s rink
He had a couple of baby juniors who did pretty well at junior nationals and actually showed up with them. Maybe they're beginning to build something. Or she wants to earn some income in shows.

Ka3sha

Andrei Lazukin was diagnosed with torn ligament in his right knee. He struggled with this injury during all season and hasn’t been on the ice for 2 months now. He is now in Moscow, doctors try to decide if a surgery is needed. Apparently, Russian doctors couldn’t identify the problem, it became clear only after a check-up in Estonia.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Andrei Lazukin was diagnosed with torn ligament in his right knee. He struggled with this injury during all season and hasn’t been on the ice for 2 months now. He is now in Moscow, doctors try to decide if a surgery is needed. Apparently, Russian doctors couldn’t identify the problem, it became clear only after a check-up in Estonia.
That explains a lot.
He seemed off all season.

Hope he can rebound next season 💪🏼

muffinplus

Khuda is not a Papadakis & Cizeron fan...thinks they are full of themselves and have no charisma :lol: guess she also likes man-woman programs ?

Girl please shut up and... focus on your skating...:shuffle:

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Girl please... focus on your skating...
I don’t agree with her, but in her defense she also says:
I am not saying that they aren’t great dancers. If I skate at least one tenth as they do, then I will already complete the task of my whole life. I just explain why, for example, I was rooting for Tessa and Scott in Pyeongchang.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Ksenia Stolbova has officially retired

muffinplus

Wow. Wonder why she made that decision now... thought her new partnership was just getting started

J

Jeschke

Well, not surprising.
I still kinda feel somehow for Esbrat.

muffinplus

So a skater cannot express his own opinions (some based on own impressions from inteaction at JGPF/GPF) ?

She can. I am not referring to her assessment of their personalities. But frankly it comes across as a bit sour and disrespectful if you read between the lines. She could have also expressed her opinion in a different way. I mean she did say they they don't stop being all time greats but some of the wording she chose was a bit...

Like a "lit a cigarette lighter under their asses" was a word choice :shuffle:

Last edited:

mjb52

ha I had to wake up in the middle of the night to do some tasks, somehow ended up on sports.ru reading things through google translate (probably trying to figure out what's going on with Medvedeva, who is apparently making an announcement soon) and ran into that Khuda piece and patted myself on the back for my "virtuous" intention not to come gossip about it here and now I see that people are already talking about it :) (no criticism meant, just laughing at myself).

re: Stolbova, it's weird how the landscape changed so fast. When she first paired up with Novoselov, Russia really seemed to need her, but now their young teams have come on so strong.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
(Google) translate doesn't convey nuances such as idiomatic expressions. Some of what she said sounds kind of tactless...

Google translate made me laugh, or Khuda did. She's young enough and low enough on the totem pole to take a few whacks especially if she thought P/C were standoffish compared to the other teams. I'm steamed that D/S has "their" spot for worlds, the blatant nepotism is outrageous.

muffinplus

Google translate made me laugh, or Khuda did. She's young enough and low enough on the totem pole to take a few whacks especially if she thought P/C were standoffish compared to the other teams. I'm steamed that D/S has "their" spot for worlds, the blatant nepotism is outrageous.

Why is it their spot? I haven't watched junior ice dance at Russian Nationals but just because she is Eteri's daughter is the assumption always going to be that she is going to Worlds because of that?

And i don't think being young enough is a good excuse... ok so she has a personality. Boikova is also young but comes across way better

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Why is it their spot? I haven't watched junior ice dance at Russian Nationals but just because she is Eteri's daughter is the assumption always going to be that she is going to Worlds because of that?

And i don't think being young enough is a good excuse... ok so she has a personality. Boikova is also young but comes across way better

What I meant was that Khuda's spot went to Davis/Smolkin on nepotism, there's no other explanation for such a huge leap in their scores from the JGP. I saw D/S live in Lake Placid, and while they are polished as you would expect from a girl raised in skating, their speed and technique leaves a lot to be desired.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, Dimitri's fall in the SP sort of sealed Khuda's fate. They did come back in the free skate, but a fall in ice dance is the kiss of death unless everybody else falls. They didn't. Next year is her year! That butterfly tatoo will make its way to a world podium.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Liudmila Velikova:

Velikova's motto: If Stolbova can do it, so can you!

Speaking of that...I'm not surprised, but this is still really sad because she has been my favorite skater for 6 years. She was the one who got me into watching pairs and I really loved her fighting spirit even against all odds. I'll probably write something long and emotional about it later.

Bigbird

Velikova's motto: If Stolbova can do it, so can you!

Speaking of that...I'm not surprised, but this is still really sad because she has been my favorite skater for 6 years. She was the one who got me into watching pairs and I really loved her fighting spirit even against all odds. I'll probably write something long and emotional about it later.
Surprisingly, I am sad and somewhat relieved for her at the same time. That negative vibe between her and Fedor really made watching them uncomfortable for me. I felt for her though when Trankov was interfering and being rather derogatory in public. While I accept that's just his style it was jarring. Why would you disclose private matters between two people just because you don't like her? But again I realize it is his style and he has no issues with hurting anyone he does not like in public. My final two cents, a soul is worth much more than a figure skating medal, move on, and rise to higher heights.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sad but not too surprised by Stolbova’s retirement. She has been through a lot, particularly being denied the Olympic spot without a reason. Perhaps the partnership with Novoselov was her last ditch effort to make it. At first everyone was excited, like Aliona’s OGM. I thought it would take more time for Ksenia to make a decision on her new partnership but probably she had seen enough to make her final decision.

I saw her and Klimov skate at the 2016 and they were clearly one of the top pairs, despite a few mistakes.
It breaks my heart to see that such talent was wasted, and I think it was pure bad luck. Too many injuries and then the 2018 Olympics shock. At least she tried to make a comeback.

On the positive side she does have an OGM (team), Olympic silver, world silver. She and Klimov were capable of so much more. It was not meant to be.

I hope she will be happy with whatever she does in the future.

Ka3sha

Pluschenko confirmed that Stanislava Konstantinova is now training in his academy, her main coach is Aleksandr Volkov

She won’t compete this season, they are working on her strength and endurance. She is eager to work hard and be back on the ice

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information