From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

mjb52

Papadakis and Galliamov wearing matching “thrilled” expressions in those pictures, sort of funny.

On iPad and hard to quote but I agree with Mad for Skating’s post above, it’s particularly random that it’s Jason, why such a thing about him of all people, he’s a nice kid, no threat to Yagudin’s legacy, not getting gold medals despite a lack of quad, not that any of those things would make such comments justifiable, but it just makes it seem especially bizarre that he has such a thing about it.

Rina RUS

Yagadin is just a special, special human.

Yagudin is careless.

It is not about any "problem with Jason Brown". Yagudin easily says something bad about himself as well. I guess he just thinks: "I wouldn't have taken offence. If they are sane people, they won't take offence because of such a rubbishy reason."
Totmianina says Yagudin never takes offence, she was saying: "I'm happy, that he teaches me not to take offence".

To say the truth, it is funny to see, that somebody tries to explain to Yagudin: "You were his idol". I guess Yagudin thinks something like: "Stuff and nonsense! Anyway living without any idols is better!"

I don't mean, that being careless is always good. Yet... I still do like, that he doesn't expect people to be too serious.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It’s not so random, I think. Jason is the stereotypical nice American guy, and cynical, mean people are bugged by that.

Maybe Yagudin found out that Jason admired Plushy and that Plushy thinks Jason's a great skater?

There's a picture somewhere of a very, very young Jason dressed to compete in what looks very much like a knock-off Winter costume. It would be sad if someone Jason once admired was turning against him this way.

anonymoose_au

Yags can be a total jerk, way more than Plushy. When Yags had to withdraw from a GP due to his hip injury, Plushy wished him well and hoped he be back on the ice. When Plushy had to withdraw in Sochi Yags called him a traitor to his country and basically he should have gone and paralysed himself.

Stay classy, Yags.

Also leave Sergei V out of it, WTH was that?

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Yagudin is careless.

Yet... I still do like, that he doesn't expect people to be too serious.

Yagudin is a commentator for the most powerful figure skating federation in the world, dear. This isn't a one-time "careless" gaffe from Yagudin, but a targeted campaign against Brown dating back to last year.

If he doesn't expect people to be too serious, then maybe such a influential position isn't a very good idea for him? His words carry a lot of weight.

That shitstorm is quite something :lol:
There is even a petition posted on vk.ru to fire Yagudin from his commentator jobs.

Good. There should be a shitstorm. It's completely unprofessional for a commentator to specifically target any skater repeatedly like this, regardless of Jason's character or what country he's from.

And on a superficial note, I was somewhat startled when we saw a shot of Yagudin commentating during Rostelecom. He looked unkempt and....honestly, not great. It wasn't just that he's getting older (like we all are), but something more. I just wrote it off to a bad day or whatever, but maybe there's more to it.

Finsta

I never want to hear anyone from Russia complaining about how western commentators are not fair with Russian skaters again. Yagudin was a great skater. Maybe a terrible person though

lala

Maybe Yagudin found out that Jason admired Plushy and that Plushy thinks Jason's a great skater?

There's a picture somewhere of a very, very young Jason dressed to compete in what looks very much like a knock-off Winter costume. It would be sad if someone Jason once admired was turning against him this way.

Yes, if you remember https://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason...kHnjPU9DbcTBBLZLI3EbNFu4b-WwyY5AU6W2y81vsXir1

"
Plushenko became a huge fan of Brown after being shown an online video of the youngster performing at the U.S. Championships in Boston last month. He wasn't alone, either. Brown's "Riverdance" performance in the long program generated more than 3.9 million views online.

"It is a really cool relationship," Brown said. "I respect him so much and to know that he respects me and what I do is huge as well.

"[Plushenko] has been so nice to me and so supportive over the past week. When we had team practice he came up to me and said, 'I am such a huge fan of yours.' I was like, 'What? No, no, no, no, like I am such a huge fan of yours.' And I was like, 'You're amazing' and he's like, 'No, you're amazing' – and you know like right off the bat I was so relaxed.

"He is such an incredible person and that meant so much to me and that support instantly made me feel calm from the second I stepped on the ice."

Primorskaya

Yes, if you remember https://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason...kHnjPU9DbcTBBLZLI3EbNFu4b-WwyY5AU6W2y81vsXir1

"
Plushenko became a huge fan of Brown after being shown an online video of the youngster performing at the U.S. Championships in Boston last month. He wasn't alone, either. Brown's "Riverdance" performance in the long program generated more than 3.9 million views online.

"It is a really cool relationship," Brown said. "I respect him so much and to know that he respects me and what I do is huge as well.

"[Plushenko] has been so nice to me and so supportive over the past week. When we had team practice he came up to me and said, 'I am such a huge fan of yours.' I was like, 'What? No, no, no, no, like I am such a huge fan of yours.' And I was like, 'You're amazing' and he's like, 'No, you're amazing' – and you know like right off the bat I was so relaxed.

"He is such an incredible person and that meant so much to me and that support instantly made me feel calm from the second I stepped on the ice."

That would certainly go some way towards explaining the sustained low-level aggro. Or maybe he's just a dick. There's also a bit of a hostile climate against gays or anyone perceived as such in Russia (although more in the media than in everyday life), so saying crap like that is probably winning him brownie points with some viewers...

Tavi

I really doubt this has anything to do with Plushenko. The story of him encouraging Jason dates to Sochi. It’s nearly 2020. Yagudin’s remarks repeatedly direct scorn directly at Jason for not being a manly man who jumps quads. He’s apparently just an asshole wallowing in gender stereotypes.

soogar

Here’s the link https://www.instagram.com/p/B5NgLJrIMzi/

I just don’t get this guy. He’s an accomplished skater in his own right. Jason isn’t a threat to Yagudin’s legacy as an athlete, so there’s no reason he should have a problem with him. Even if he doesn’t like his skating, there are dozens of ways you can say it without being so rude. I used to love Yagudin as a skater, but he’s hit an all-time low today.

Also, it’s really not fair to drag Voronov into the middle of this. Sergei has always been a respectful competitor.

I never thought Alexei was a nice guy, even during his competitor years. He always whined and played the victim and was so jealous that Plushenko was Mishin's favorite. His boorish comments on Jason do not surprise me at all.

zebraswan

[
While we're at it: There are rumors in Russian media that Plushenko has a mistress :lol: https://ria.ru/20191116/1561018584.html

Oh yes, and he bought a cow. https://news.ru/show-business/figurist-plyushenko-kupil-korovu/

There is a new reality show centered around Plushenko's wife Rudkovskaya. Apparently, Plushenko didn't want to take part in it first, calling it "fake", but alas...

It wouldn't surprise me if Yana started the rumor herself...everything is PR to her, good, bad, no matter. She knows how to play the game.

Maybe he just wants to spend time with his cow instead? And he already had a reality show so I don't really buy that he was so reluctant to do it again. The real question is, who cares enough about them to watch?

kittyjake5

I never thought Alexei was a nice guy, even during his competitor years. He always whined and played the victim and was so jealous that Plushenko was Mishin's favorite. His boorish comments on Jason do not surprise me at all.
I agree. Didn’t he make racists comments regarding African Americans back in the day? I don’t remember exactly when it was or what he said but I do remember he made a public apology.

soogar

I agree. Didn’t he make racists comments regarding African Americans back in the day? I don’t remember exactly when it was or what he said but I do remember he made a public apology.

I remember that but my impression of him was that he was very homophobic and seemed to be very defensive that people would think he was homosexual. I don't have any quotes on hand and maybe this is more a general impression than one based on what he said, however at the time I thought it was odd that he would feel that way because it seems that men and performance (particularly ballet) is very accepted there and not considered a "gay activity" as it may be in the west. Mishin had Plushenko do these outrageous sex bomb programs and Plush looked very comfortable doing this campy choreography. Don't know why Alexei feels this way.

soogar

[

It wouldn't surprise me if Yana started the rumor herself...everything is PR to her, good, bad, no matter. She knows how to play the game.

Maybe he just wants to spend time with his cow instead? And he already had a reality show so I don't really buy that he was so reluctant to do it again. The real question is, who cares enough about them to watch?

LOL, I think Plush may have a wandering eye but I would never cheat on this woman. She looks like she runs a tough ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information