From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks for the reminder/correction.

In their senior national debuts this year:
Anna Shcherbakova GOLD (placed 13th in junior last year)
Alexandra Trusova SILVER (placed 1st in junior last year)
Viktoria Vasilieva 11th (placed 6th in junior last year)
Anastasia Tarakanova 13th (placed 7th in junior last year)
Maria Talalaikina 15th
Elizaveta Nugumanova 17th (placed 11th in junior last year)

Comparing the ladies' placements from last year's Nationals to this year's:

Alena Kostornaia 3rd & 3rd again (she also placed 2nd in junior last year)
Stanislava Konstantinova 4th & 4th again (she also placed 3rd in junior last year)

Improved their placement:
Sofia Samodurova 11th to 6th
Anna Tarusina 12th to 8th
Anastasia Gulyakova 13th to 10th
Alena Leonova 15th to 12th

Dropped in placement:
Alina Zagitova 1st to 5th this year
Maria Sotskova 2nd to 16th
Polina Tsurskaya 5th to 14th
Anastasiia Gubanova 6th to 9th (she also placed 4th in junior last year)
Daria Panenkova 8th to 18th (she also placed 5th in junior last year)
Serafima Sakhanovich 9th to DNQ this year
Elena Radionova 10th to did not compete this year

Also:
Evgenia Medvedeva WD due to injury last year to 7th this year
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 7th last year to WD due to illness this year

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Interview with Shcherbakova, Trusova and Kostornaia ... https://rsport.ria.ru/20181223/1548502631.html.
There are few more (and they work in google translate ok).

Anna Shcherbakova "I don't have any (special) emotions/excitement over (the fact of) beating Med. and Zag. I am very happy to do my job well".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1069967756.html

Alena Kostornaya "It feels good (feel pleasure) to beat those older ones, who are your idols"
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1069963866.html

Amantide

Amantide, pull yourself together woman, how many national championships have we watched over the years? How often does this really happen? This Russia baby, chin up, her day may come a little later. ;);)

I know, I know. Sigh!:wuzrobbed:D
I am a bit personally invested because I've been following Gubanova since she was a lil thing, and I don't usually do that. I'm not worried about Alena but with Gubanova I don't know. I am a bit afraid that she will get tired of trying and will quit someday. :( I mean the competition within Russia is crazy as it is. How long can a girl go without getting GP and other major international competitions?
Polina T., another favorite, isn't doing good also. :shuffle::mad:

Tinami Amori

I don't know where else to ask this, but why do some skaters go to both Russian Senior and Junior nationals? Are the juniors who medaled at Senior nationals required to go to Junior nationals to be eligible for Junior Worlds? Not really sure how this system works.
Russian Juniors, with coach's approval, can participate in Senior Nationals, and if they do and do or do not medal, they still can, and expected to, participate in Russian Junior Nationals. Junior National Team who will be sent to the Junior Worlds will be determined by Federation and Coach Council. Up to date season's results will be considered. But, for example if Shcherb/Trus/Kost do not participate in Junior Nationals, given their levels and season's results, they will be sent to the Worlds, over Junior National medalists.

s_parks

Happy that Med did well in the fs. This and probably the first half of next season will be a struggle, but she has absolutely made the smart decision to change coaches the past summer. The current Eteri students... well, I expect the pattern to continue. Kostornaia has the most long term potential based on her technique. She and Gubanova should've been top 2 in pcs here, but who are we kidding.

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

Amantide

Looks like Konstantinova is included on the team for European Championship. At least she says so in the interview.
"Not happy with how i skated today, but very happy to have been chosen for the European Championship and this chance".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMSQE5k8Qvs

"I plan to take a rest now, and then get fully ready for the European Championship".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1069964619.html

It makes sense. I would sent her to Worlds too. Unless Med keeps improving and does well in that other competition she has in February (which one is that by the way?). Otherwise, Kostantinova is a safe bet to keep Russia with 3 spot. I think and hope so at least.

Tinami Amori

Otherwise, Kostantinova is a safe bet to keep Russia with 3 spot. I think and hope so at least.
You were interested in Goubanova and why she has lower results than what you would hopped her to have. I just spoke two 2 people by phone, in the "russian skating world", they gave me their, i am quite sure, subjective opinion why, for example, Goubanova would be placing under Konstantinova. I don't have any "proof" of what's been said, it's just an opinion. (I am very indifferent to both girls). Would you like me to post what these people said?

hanca

Values her privacy
You were interested in Goubanova and why she has lower results than what you would hopped her to have. I just spoke two 2 people by phone, in the "russian skating world", they gave me their, i am quite sure, subjective opinion why, for example, Goubanova would be placing under Konstantinova. I don't have any "proof" of what's been said, it's just an opinion. (I am very indifferent to both girls). Would you like me to post what these people said?
Of course, w would like you to post it.

Tinami Amori

Of course, w would like you to post it.
I'll do so after the party i have to go to now, because the conversation was on the telephone and with many idioms and figurative phrases, so i have to write it out carefully.

In the meantime: It is official for the Russian Team Europeans. Zag and Konst are in guaranteed. Next on the list Tuk and Samodurova, and after the "possibly Medvedeva". My impression from reading few sources that Tuk is in unless she does not recover fully. The Coach's Council will be tomorrow, Dec. 23rd.
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...ovali-sebe-uchastie-v-chempionate-evropy.html

World Team will depend on European results (with Zag and Tuk pretty much guaranteed a spot in they are "in one piece").

Amantide

Of course.
I completely forgot about Tuk. Then, Med, doesn't stand a chance, I suppose.

Willin

I wonder if they will send Alina to Europeans or Worlds after what happened at Nationals? She's looked vulnerable this season and was completely off during nationals. I would assume they'll send her to Worlds since the Juniors can't go, but she's been looking more and more nervous as the season goes on... I wonder if she needs a change of scenery like Evgenia? I feel so bad for her.

Edit: Evgenia's trending in the other direction. I wonder if she needed to fail to get better. I think her biggest confidence issue is her fear to fail and make people think she's made the wrong decision going to Brian. Maybe failing (not making the GPF, having a rough SP at Nationals) and having people be supportive and encouraging is making her less afraid to fail. Hopefully that's the case and it will help her continue to improve.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

I'm probably being over dramatic after the nationals results but I'm a little worried the ladies won't keep the 3 spots at worlds. Konstantinova can be top 10 one moment and bottom 10 the next. Alina seems to be struggling with growing pains (and they seem to hint minor injury struggles after the GPF didn't they?) and the pressures of being Olympic champion and her own expectations. The pressure would be on Liza (who should be going!) to continue her great season to get a high enough placement and hope that Alina gets over what's bugging her or Stanislava has one of her good days.

I don't think Sofia is as good as the others when they're on but she is stable and reliable, they need that now. She would easily place somewhere 6-10 (maybe a step or two higher if the chips really fall her way). Unfortunately she got beaten at nationals by Stanislava and the federation seem to really like her more so Sofia feels changeless.

I think the team should be Liza, Alina and Sofia but it will likely be the first two and Stanislava unless she bombs at Euros and the fed. start second guessing (especially if Alina has a rough outing there too).

starrynight

I feel like it's a bit short sighted for the Russian Fed to have delivered their senior skaters to the wolves ahead of Europeans and Worlds. The reputation of their seniors skaters has been tarnished by this whole debacle. The junior skaters are of no use right now in securing senior medals and spots. Whether the juniors will be able to be successful for Russia is an issue for 12 months time.

But now what Russia is left with is a bunch of battered senior skaters who have to go to Worlds with the world knowing they've been knocked off their pedestals at home. Can't be that good for politics I would have thought.

Amantide

@NAOTMAA No, I don't think you're being overdramatic. You make some good points but who kows really, it's a bit of a guess at this stage. Even with Liza, which we don't know how she will do after the recovery. We will se at Euros. Alina as well can skate from great, to good (hang on there and fight) to a really bad. It also depends from other skaters from other countries. Too many factors to consider.

I feel like it's a bit short sighted for the Russian Fed to have delivered their senior skaters to the wolves ahead of Europeans and Worlds. The reputation of their seniors skaters has been tarnished by this whole debacle. The junior skaters are of no use right now in securing senior medals and spots. Whether the juniors will be able to be successful for Russia is an issue for 12 months time.

But now what Russia is left with is a bunch of battered senior skaters who have to go to Worlds with the world knowing they've been knocked off their pedestals at home. Can't be that good for politics I would have thought.

I was thinking the same thing. I suppose there are some benefits for skaters and the competition to let juniors participate in senior nationals. On the other hand, it is a big risk for the reason you mentioned.
Plus, I'm not even sure if it's fair for the seniors tbh. I mean, if they can't compete in seniors at international level, then don't bring them in senior at senior national level either.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Kostornaya about her programme: (SP):
Q: Your SP music is the same Medvedeva was trying to skate to, but it didn't work for her. Did you hear it by chance?
Kostornaya: When we first started working on that programme I thought the music was familiar. Then we recalled it's what was tried with Evgenia last year, but it didn't work and her programme was changed. We thought if the music is fresh, why not try it.

reminds me the Morozov ice dance programmes with `take a programme, ad a skater, stir, cook for 2 seasons...'

Ka3sha

Russian Teams for Europeans and Universide
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4163-sostav-rossijskikh-figuristov-na-chempionat-evropy-i-universiadu.html

Euros:
Ladies: Konstantinova, Zagitova, Samodurova (Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva)
Men: Kovtun, Kolyada, Samarin
(Lazukin, Aliev, Voronov)
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovsky
(Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Gallyamov)
Ice Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Evdokimova/Bazin
(Popova/Mozgov, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Zahorski/Guerreiro)

Universiade:
Ladies: Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva (Medvedeva, Sotskova)
Men: Kovtun, Samarin, Lazukin (Aliev, Petrov, Shulepov)
Pairs: Poluyanova/Sopot, Koshevaya/Bushlanov, Ozerova/Bobrov
Ladies: Evdokimova/Bazin, Popova/Mozgov, Skoptsova/Aleshin (Shpilevaya/Smirnov)

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Team Russia for euros
Ladies: Konstantinova, Zagitova, Samodurova (s: Tuktamysheva,Medvedeva)
Men: Kovtun, Kolyada, Samarin (s: Lazukin ,Aliev, Voronov)
Pairs; Tarasova/Morozov, Zabijako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii (s: Pavluchenko/Hodykin, Mishina/Galiamov)
Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Evdokimova/Bazin (s; Popova/Mozgov, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Zahorski/Gureiro)

Eislauffan

The Russian Figure Skating Federation announced the teams for Europeans and Universiade.
https://www.fsrussia.ru/news/4163-s...istov-na-chempionat-evropy-i-universiadu.html

Europeans
Ladies: S. Konstantinova, A. Zagitova, S. Samodurova
subs: L. Tuktamysheva, E. Medvedeva

Men: M. Kovtun, M. Kolyada, A. Samarin
subs: A. Lazukin, D. Aliev, S. Voronov

Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiiako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii
Subs: Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galliamov

Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Evdokimova/Bazin
Subs: Popova/Mozgov, Skoptceva/Aleshin, Zagorski/Guerreiro

Universiade
Ladies: S. Konstantinova, L. Tuktamysheva
subs: E. Medvedeva, M. Sotskova

Men: M. Kovtun, A. Samarin, A. Lazukin
subs: D. Aliev, A. Petrov, A. Shulepov

Pairs: Poluianova/Sopot, Koshevaia/Bushlanov, Ozerova/Bobrov
Subs: None

Dance: Evdokimova/Bazin, Popova/Mozgov, Skoptceva/Aleshin,
Subs: Shpilevaya/Smirnov

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I'm surprised Tuk wasn't selected for Euros but maybe it's a good strategy to have someone else go since she lost training time, provided that they give her Worlds.
It's a big question whether she'll be able to recover, train and get back in shape by the end of January. Assuming she is still in the hospital and haven't trained for at least a week and probably another week to come - if it was any other discipline - why not, but in the ladies? there are enough those in shape and she can take time to recover.
When is the universiade, btw?

starrynight

We don't know if the decision to leave Tuktamysheva off the Euros team was solely a fed issue. Her coaches could have recommended it to give her extra time to recover. Probably better to make a case for Worlds at Universiade than risk a poor showing at Euros due to insufficient recovery time and lose the possibility of going to Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information