From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Russian junior girls are off to a fantastic start. Who knows what will happen with Trusova in 3-4 years, but for now, she's the new wunderkind. It's a waste of time ubering individual Russian ladies. There's just too many of them. Just sit back, watch and enjoy them each season and don't worry about tomorrow.

Sylvia

TBD
Russian junior girls are off to a fantastic start.
JGP Brisbane:
GOLD - Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS 197.69 1 1
SILVER - Anastasiia GULIAKOVA RUS 181.43 2 2

FS Result Details:
1 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS 132.12 75.62 56.50 7.07 6.89 7.18 7.14 7.04 0.00 #22
Jumps: 4S< then in second half: 3Lz+3Lo, 3F+2T+2T, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3S, 2A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qj1m5dsJDA

2 Anastasiia GULIAKOVA RUS 117.96 63.05 55.91 6.96 6.57 7.14 7.14 7.14 1.00 #23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwvmuXCd18

SP Result Details:
1 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS 65.57 39.46 26.11 6.50 6.39 6.71 6.54 6.50 0.00 #6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXMAr4mMk4
2 Anastasiia GULIAKOVA RUS 63.47 36.90 26.57 6.79 6.46 6.82 6.50 6.64 0.00 #23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPkkJr3gcY

Last edited:

Bellanca

Russian junior girls are off to a fantastic start. Who knows what will happen with Trusova in 3-4 years, but for now, she's the new wunderkind. It's a waste of time ubering individual Russian ladies. There's just too many of them. Just sit back, watch and enjoy them each season and don't worry about tomorrow.
Perfectly summed up. Impossible to see how this will play itself out, but certainly the talent is there for many seasons to come.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I really like what I see with Osipova/Tarasenko. I was a bit disappointed when she was paired with a pair beginner because she looked very promising with Galliamov and I thought it is a waste for her to lose time while someone else spends ages to learn all pairs elements. But Tarasenko is progressing quite fast and considering the short time they are together, the skating was better than expected. They obviously have to do some more work on pairs elements, especially twists, lifts etc, but I think towards the end of the season we won't even know that this is a new pair and he is completely new to pairs. The only disadvantage will be that I believe after this season they will age out of juniors. Let's see if they will be able to match to Efimova/Korovin, to get to senior reserve for the next season.

Amina Atakhanova confirmed at Ask that she found a new partner, but doesn't say who it is and who her coach is. She is in St Petersburg so it seems that she left Pavlova. Maybe she is in Moskvina's new school?

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
According to Evgeni Plushenko, the reason why Adelina Sotnikova is out for the whole season is due to a misdiagnosis relating to her ankle injury

"Now we need to cure the problem, which still exists due to the fact that, unfortunately, the problem was incorrectly diagnosed," Plushenko said over the phone. He added: "Adelina did not recover, and the injury still affects her. She had a ligament rupture (Ankle) and a bone fracture in the foot. It was originally thought that Adelina would quickly recover from this. Initially, they did not put on a plaster cast, and in general a misdiagnosis was made."

Plushenko also stated that just because Sotnikova is missing the 2017/18 season, it does not constitute the end of her career.

Last edited:

Marco

The two golden girls from 2014 haven't been back to Euros or Worlds since. Same for the golden girl from 2015. Don't know whether it is the depth of the field in Russia or some sort of training / developmental issue. It's more expected for Lip to lose her jumps as she grows due to the weaker jumping, but for Sot and Tuk to lose their jumps too is just unfortunate.

Whilst I am not a fan of Medvedeva's, I am glad there is at least one Russian lady with some staying power for over a season.

Marco

Anna has been to Worlds four times.

... and has fallen a total of 7 times. Her placements were 4, 13, 3, 13. Hardly dominant or consistent. But you are right, she is probably still the second most dominant or consistent Russian lady since Sochi.

I just don't understand why these ladies all had such potential one way or another and pulled off these jumps, and then just lost them one way or another. Thankfully for Russia, they have heaps of capable girls coming up, but I wonder if it is something wrong they are focusing on that is making them not last (e.g. emphasis on consistency over technique, taking advantage of pre-puberty bodies, over-training 3/3s...). I just don't know.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
... and has fallen a total of 7 times. Her placements were 4, 13, 3, 13. Hardly dominant or consistent. But you are right, she is probably still the second most dominant or consistent Russian lady since Sochi.

I just don't understand why these ladies all had such potential one way or another and pulled off these jumps, and then just lost them one way or another. Thankfully for Russia, they have heaps of capable girls coming up, but I wonder if it is something wrong they are focusing on that is making them not last (e.g. emphasis on consistency over technique, taking advantage of pre-puberty bodies, over-training 3/3s...). I just don't know.

Anna placed 13th in 2015 because she was skating with an injury. IMO she shouldn't have competed. In 2017 she just succumbed to nerves, and not because she lost her jumps. I think many skaters would love to place 4th (should have been 3rd) and 3rd at worlds.

Julia and Adelina both battled injuries after Sochi, and never fully recovered.

Liza seems to be making a comeback. She was past puberty when she won the world title, with a 3A.

When you have so many talented skaters in the juniors, obviously not everyone is going to make it in the seniors. We saw that in the US ladies too when they were dominant.

lala

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYXYhAEFZAI/?taken-by=plushenkoofficial
To Adelina - google translate

"Adelinochka, I had 15 operations in my 34, my coach believed in me when no one believed in me and it was funny, but Alexei Nikolayevich Mishin and I won 4 Olympic medals in the last 4 Olympic Games for Russia, for our Great Sports Power! Let now is not the easiest period in your life and many colleagues who just recently applauded you and praised you now give very strange comments. You are a great athlete! First in the history of Russian women's figure skating-Olympic Champion! Instead of supporting the girl, who has the hardest ankle injury, which is so hard, you attacked the girl! Adelinochka, I know how difficult it is, I passed it myself! I'm ashamed of myself My colleagues, frankly ashamed! Comrades coaches, she is a member of the Russian team, not an enemy! You like no one else need to know what is the trauma for the athlete, a serious injury!
Dear and beloved girl, I and all your fans believe in your return, sometimes we have a great desire, but to fight health and with the strongest rivals outside of human capabilities. Heal trauma and go on, Adelka, if you have strength and health, and I will always support you, like yours: friend, athlete, trainer and just a man! Embraced "

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think he's dead-on here:

The pressure of victories and expectations does not affect Evgenia?

– It doesn’t affect the training process. I think it can play a role at competition. Of course, it is always easier to go forward when nobody expects anything from you. Now Zhenya has to hold all this load of high expectations on her shoulders, but if she passes through all this, her victory will be more significant than the fleeting flashes that I have already mentioned. This will be a victory, which moves the winner from the category of just a “champion” to the “legendary champion”.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
[insert mandatory Janny will win reminder here]

I'm excited to see her new programs, I have a feeling she's going to be very beautiful to watch this year. She competed all last season with the pressure of defending every title from 2016 and it didn't faze her. I think she's learned this past season how to thrive and get better under pressure, it's pretty much her strongest quality as a skater IMO.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Janny has nerves of steel. I think she thrives on competition even against herself, ergo her 3-3-3 at Europeans just because she could. I think she'll be just fine.

Ka3sha

Short video about Tuktamysheva's and Kolyada's preparations for the new season was shown on St Petersburg local tv channel
https://topspb.tv/news/2017/08/29/p...tovyatsya-poehat-na-turnir-v-yuzhnuyu-koreyu/
Liza says that she feels herself ready for the season and now is working on 3 axel a lot. Mikhail talks about his work with Lambiel a little bit (he choreographed two step sequences and some transitions).

Bellanca

Short video about Tuktamysheva's and Kolyada's preparations for the new season was shown on St Petersburg local tv channel
https://topspb.tv/news/2017/08/29/p...tovyatsya-poehat-na-turnir-v-yuzhnuyu-koreyu/
Liza says that she feels herself ready for the season and now is working on 3 axel a lot. Mikhail talks about his work with Lambiel a little bit (he choreographed two step sequences and some transitions).
I'll tell you, I have such a soft spot for Liza and I would be so happy for her if she could find her World Champion form again. Thank you for the update!

nimi

From another thread, but relevant here.
Coached by Volchkova, huge jumps, and skating to one of the most hideous songs of all time

https://youtu.be/ah4KQGngLqQ
I don't follow juniors closely so I've never heard of Viktoria Vasilieva before, but wow. She's fast! That alone makes me forgive the questionable cover version and somewhat awkward music edit.

Love that big 3F3Lo around the 1:50 mark! :cheer2:

Bellanca

Me too! I adore Liza. She is luminous, and you can't teach that. She seems very happy lately. Wonder if she's in love or something.
She could be. There's nothing quite like being in love to put a spring in your step - that's for sure! :) Whatever it is, I hope that Liza can bring that well-being to the ice. :kickass:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information