From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are there any junior pairs with promise left in Russia? I am seriously concerned because Russian pairs used to be considered very stable. For the last 3-4 years it has been hard to find any continuity. They split even after winning medals at junior worlds. Every time they start with a new partner, there is big uncertainty. Very often it's the female partner that is left out in the cold.

Marta24

Are there any junior pairs with promise left in Russia? I am seriously concerned because Russian pairs used to be considered very stable. For the last 3-4 years it has been hard to find any continuity. They split even after winning medals at junior worlds. Every time they start with a new partner, there is big uncertainty. Very often it's the female partner that is left out in the cold.
There are still Boikova/Kozlovskii.

Tinami Amori

If we were to go around judging people based on their internet activity, I'd have to say you have suspiciously too much time on your hands to watch and take notes of someone you consider so unworthy, wouldn't I.
… not a wise comment about a virtual poster, given you don’t know the age and financial situation in one’s life; while we do know Davankova is 19, the time to build one's future, not squander it... :lol:

I am lazy, I have pets only by proxy, I like sweets and travelling too, all these sins didn't prevent me from getting an MD and a PhD.
:D .....then surely at 19 you were not exactly idle and useless……

And I know for a fact that in Russia, unlike many other countries, for every 5-6 girls whose biggest ambition is to be a housewife, there are hundreds of women who are educated and competent, and none of them watches Vasilisa's vlog or whatever it is she has. Why they don't apply to work in your company, I have no idea.
… because such women already have good careers?.... :D

hanca

Values her privacy
I wouldn't be that concerned because all three junior pairs that medalled at the junior worlds were skating together relatively short time (for all of them it was their first competitive season), so that proves that if the right skaters meet, the results can be pretty quick

Sylvia

TBD
Genuine question: which US junior pairs team is worth paying attention to? I don't recall seeing any good pair last season.
My genuine answer: Liu/Johnson in their final junior international season. However, their best result (JGP bronze) came early in the season: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028707.htm

ETA:

I'm also sorry to hear about Atakhanova/Spiridonov's split. Perhaps their inconsistency in competition (absolutely brilliant to :yikes:moments) was something that necessitated a change.
Oh no. Sorry to hear this :( ... they had great potential together. It was a challenging season for them, but their performance in the free skate at Junior Worlds showed what they were capable of.
Their first place FS at Junior Worlds (no commentary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oZM7bgEXtk

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Is Ustimkina/Volodin still together? I tried searching it up but couldn't find anything.
Yes, at the moment. But we can't take anything for granted. As Pavlova just showed us, pairs can split up even a few weeks before the test skates.

I am still not getting Pavlova's strategy. If she split Atakhanova/Spiridonov and Kudriavtseva/Simenenko in March after junior worlds, Atakhanova and Simenenko would have plenty of time to find new partners (and would have a bigger choice of available partners). For example, Atakhanova could have tried with Mirzoev, if that would work out. But Pavlova waited until both teams had programs made, practised, and then makes the decision just a few weeks before the test skates. To me it sounds like a ridiculous strategy.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

They would almost distract you from the mass murderer of gay men standing beside him.
...... and rapist, women abuser, polygamist, dictator, blackmailer, thief, hypocrite, murderer of many, and big threat to Russian society and even to Putin, who knows it, but for now finds use for him to keep Chechnya intact.

lala

I agree with you.. Not only disappointing but very sad.
I read this comment:
"I'm sure the Russian media didn't write about the concentration camp... the Russians want to peace with Chechens and they don't want terrorists from Chechnya.."

Plushenko has many gay friends not only Johnny, but Russians, too. He signed a peticion against the anti Russian gay law. He said the gays have right to be in modern societies. I was so proud of him. He was the only one Russian figure skater who did it!
Nikolai Baskov the famous singer is there. And Baskov is gay. Unbelieveable!

You all know how I like and respect Plushenko but this picture made me angry!!!! He is a world famous person many people are seeing what he is doing! He has responsibility!

Last edited:

lala

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1052910068.html interesting no one translated it..
Alexei Yagudin: "It can not be that one country has won over many years"
Olympic champion Alexei Yagudin shared his opinion about the reasons for Russia's weak results in men's skating in recent years.

- Now Asian ball skaters rule the ball. There is even a theory that in this they are helped by the structure of the body, slightly different from the European, - a thinner bone, a little weight.

- Really? Did the Asians look different 15 years ago? Have they changed in the body?

On the question of Russian male soloists, I have no answer - I'm not interested in amateur figure skating.

This is not a paradox. The reason is that there were times when Russia won a lot, and then someone else came. It can not be that one country has won over the years.

In other states, too, people are engaged in figure skating, and now it's time to come. After them, the time of Russians will come again. There is no need to look for a cause in the body. We have schools, everything works fine, there is simply nothing stable in this world, "Yagudin said. -google translate

lala

Thank you. I've read about him, but had not seen his picture.

Yes, that is disappointing ... :(

I think the Russians don't believe the western media. The western media write about the Sochi doping scandal, the bad infrastuctura in Sochi OG, their antidemocratic state, Putin's antidemocratic measures, according to western media Putin won with election fraud, etc.
Kadyrov is a great man in most of the Russians' eyes who has great connect with Russia; no war, no independence intent, no terrorism.
Interesting Emanuel Sandhu was with Plushenko in Chechnya in last autumn. They made a great ice show for the birthday of Grozny city. I heard about the persecution of gays in this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information