Friend Needs advice about her Community Cats

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Due to unforeseen and upsetting circumstances a friend of mine and her husband have to move back to Michigan as soon as possible. She has been the caretaker for 6 community cats for almost 8 yrs. She is sad that she cannot take them with her, and they cannot be handed over to another family or person, so she is trying to find a solution to the problem. She consulted with her Vet and the advice she got was that the best thing would be to euthanize them. That is heart breaking. She is looking for alternatives.

No one in her condos can takeover their care. Does anyone have any ideas on re-locating them (places in the west that would accept them?) so she does not have to euthanize them? Thanks very much.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Why on earth would any vet say she should euthanize them?

Are community cats ferals that she’s been feeding? There’s got to be some sort of rescue org that could give her better advice than killing 6 cats for no real reason.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Perhaps she could find someone to take care of them, and pay them a small amount of money. All they need is food and water, yes?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Why on earth would any vet say she should euthanize them?

Are community cats ferals that she’s been feeding? There’s got to be some sort of rescue org that could give her better advice than killing 6 cats for no real reason.

Yes they are feral cats so they cannot be given for adoption (they are attached to my friend).

Has she talked to any local rescue groups? They may know some contacts who work with the local feral population.

So far she has not found any. If there is one in CA, she is willing to drive them there.

Spun Silver

Has she talked to any local rescue groups? They may know some contacts who work with the local feral population.
Yes. There has to be a rescue group in her area, hopefully one devoted to feral cats.

That said, it is hard because there are many more feral cats than cat carers. I have taken my ferals with me when I've relocated, twice, but I only had one the first time and two the second time. It's difficult at best, esp with two. I can't imagine doing it with six. Where is she located?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes. There has to be a rescue group in her area, hopefully one devoted to feral cats.

That said, it is hard because there are many more feral cats than cat carers. I have taken my ferals with me when I've relocated, twice, but I only had one the first time and two the second time. It's difficult at best, esp with two. I can't imagine doing it with six. Where is she located?

She is here, in the Phoenix area. Going to move to Michigan.

Spun Silver, you are one of the best informed people I have known. I was hoping that you would know. Anyway, I will ask her to do a search for a rescue group. There is an organization called HALO, but I don't know if they would take them and not kill them.

Actually my friend has a passion for helping animals, and she knows a lot about different orgs. I will definitely forward whatever information I see posted in this thread.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Perhaps she could find someone to take care of them, and pay them a small amount of money. All they need is food and water, yes?

She told me that they are dependent on her, and they are feral so they cannot be just moved to someone else. In her community there is no one willing to take care of the feral cats she has been feeding.

Spun Silver

She is here, in the Phoenix area. Going to move to Michigan.

Spun Silver, you are one of the best informed people I have known. I was hoping that you would know. Anyway, I will ask her to do a search for a rescue group. There is an organization called HALO, but I don't know if they would take them and not kill them.

Actually my friend has a passion for helping animals, and she knows a lot about different orgs. I will definitely forward whatever information I see posted in this thread.
There are three groups linked here. https://www.azhumane.org/stray-pet-resources/trap-neuter-return/

I really hope your friend has neutered them - she probably has. When that is done, their ear is clipped and that is a visible sign that they aren't going to reproduce, which makes animal control people less eager to pick them up and kill them. If she hasn't done it already, I think taking care of that before she goes would make more sense than driving them to CA. It is very hard to relocate ferals. They have to be caged for two weeks in the new location while they get acclimated, which is harder than it sounds. Otherwise they just try to go back home. She would need someone very dedicated in CA to handle that, and it would probably take even longer than that for them to acclimate with a brand new carer. The best would be if a local group can find them a new carer. Hard as that is.

Spun Silver

I was on a feral cat Elist in NJ and this kind of situation came up all the time. People on the list would do all they could to pitch in. There are some amazing "cat angels" out there. Your friend needs to find the group that has that kind of outreach. I'm sure there is one. Probably only one. Let me know if she can't find it and I will try from here.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There are three groups linked here. https://www.azhumane.org/stray-pet-resources/trap-neuter-return/

I really hope your friend has neutered them - she probably has. When that is done, their ear is clipped and that is a visible sign that they aren't going to reproduce, which makes animal control people less eager to pick them up and kill them. If she hasn't done it already, I think taking care of that before she goes would make more sense than driving them to CA. It is very hard to relocate ferals. They have to be caged for two weeks in the new location while they get acclimated, which is harder than it sounds. Otherwise they just try to go back home. She would need someone very dedicated in CA to handle that, and it would probably take even longer than that for them to acclimate with a brand new carer. The best would be if a local group can find them a new carer. Hard as that is.

Yes they are all neutered. Thanks for your inputs.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She told me that they are dependent on her, and they are feral so they cannot be just moved to someone else. In her community there is no one willing to take care of the feral cats she has been feeding.
Right, but I would think they don't need "care" just food. I assume they have been neutered. If not, she is kind of sunk.

Lovemyvike

I do TNR and rescue in Phoenix. I might be able to connect your friend to a colony caretaker in her area if you can maybe give me a better idea on where she's located. Relocating an entire colony is generally considered an absolute last resort choice, as feral cats are territorial and don't do well with relocation. And there's a whole process of getting them acclimated to a new area that takes a few weeks to do. Unfortunately, more feral cats would just take over the original spot, so if all these cats are fixed, her best bet may be to find someone (or a few people) to take over their feeding. Especially if the alternative is that new (unsterilized) ferals come in reproduce, making an even bigger colony.

Lovemyvike

I was on a feral cat Elist in NJ and this kind of situation came up all the time. People on the list would do all they could to pitch in. There are some amazing "cat angels" out there. Your friend needs to find the group that has that kind of outreach. I'm sure there is one. Probably only one. Let me know if she can't find it and I will try from here.

We have a group like that in Phoenix. I just need to know her area and I can try to connect her with some resources.

Spun Silver

Right, but I would think they don't need "care" just food. I assume they have been neutered. If not, she is kind of sunk.
Imagine the cost though. I would be a good person to hire for something like that, but it would take $20 a pop to get me off my butt to drive across town (and pay for gas) to feed cats, wait while they eat, and remove their cans or dishes. (Generally feeding has to be done secretively.) That's $20 a day for years not counting the cost of food. It adds up fast. Which is why this kind of work is done entirely by volunteers. Some of the support organizations have a little staff. It is burnout work and there are never enough volunteers, but there are a lot and they are precious in the eyes of the Lord.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
We have a group like that in Phoenix. I just need to know her area and I can try to connect her with some resources.

Thank you! Can you PM me? She is willing to give her contact information. I can send it to you. She lives in Tempe.

Japanfan

Last edited:

Scrufflet

I would definitely encourage getting online to ask for help in locating shelters/neuter and release programs (just as you've done here). It really works! There are so many volunteer orgs. out there who quietly do their thing and go unnoticed. I am currently involved in trying to help a homeless man in my city who had 7 cats when he was evicted and had 2 heart attacks. A friend got on kijiji and put out a call for help. All 7 got sent to different homes while he waits for housing. It is still a work in progress! Good luck with this!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I would definitely encourage getting online to ask for help in locating shelters/neuter and release programs (just as you've done here). It really works! There are so many volunteer orgs. out there who quietly do their thing and go unnoticed. I am currently involved in trying to help a homeless man in my city who had 7 cats when he was evicted and had 2 heart attacks. A friend got on kijiji and put out a call for help. All 7 got sent to different homes while he waits for housing. It is still a work in progress! Good luck with this!

Thanks for your inputs.

The cats we are talking about are feral cats, so it is not easy to send them for adoption. I wish it was that easy, but hopefully we will find a solution other than euthanasia.

Scrufflet

Thanks for your inputs.

The cats we are talking about are feral cats, so it is not easy to send them for adoption. I wish it was that easy, but hopefully we will find a solution other than euthanasia.
Quite right. Where I am we have orgs. that promote trap/neuter and release. Hope it works out for the friend.

Karina1974

Which is why people need to let ferals alone so they can learn to fend for themselves. Felines are apex predators, they will survive on their own, but only if they are allowed to learn how to procure their food without human interference.

Spun Silver

They also have an extremely short life span when uncared for due to larger predators like coyotes amd other hazards of life in the wild. I think caring for them is great. It partly balances the cruelty of those who abandon their cats and thus have produced the phenomenon of ferals. Plus, all the carers I have known are trying to reduce the problem humanely through TNR (trap, neuter, release... and rabies shots). That approach is now being adopted by cities all over the US. But it's important to think ahead to what will happen to the cats when you're no longer around. I highly recommend being part of a feral carer network. I got so much info, resources and concrete help from the one in NJ.

Last edited:

Lovemyvike

I've been in touch with Vash's friend. It's a pretty complex situation, but fortunately we've got a little time to explore some options. They sound like extremely compassionate people who want to do right by these cats, so I'm going to do my best to help them!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have an update. I met with my friend yesterday and she said there is a change of plans. She and her husband have decided to stay in Phoenix and look for a job here. They have postponed their plans to move to Michigan. It could even mean by 2-3 years. It means there is no rush to resolve the cats situation. They are both very attached to the cats and she sounded happy that the cats will be around for sometime. It will give her more time to find a new home for them. She was very grateful to Lovemyvike for her help. I am grateful to her too.

Lovemyvike

I have an update. I met with my friend yesterday and she said there is a change of plans. She and her husband have decided to stay in Phoenix and look for a job here. They have postponed their plans to move to Michigan. It could even mean by 2-3 years. It means there is no rush to resolve the cats situation. They are both very attached to the cats and she sounded happy that the cats will be around for sometime. It will give her more time to find a new home for them. She was very grateful to Lovemyvike for her help. I am grateful to her too.

That's excellent news! I'm so happy for them. We had a really nice chat last week and those kitties are so lucky to be so well taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information