Forthcoming upgrade...

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Shortly after the Olympics, FSU will be undergoing a software upgrade. For the most part, things will stay the same albeit with small tweaks, design improvements and mobile browsing will be a lot friendlier. In addition, you'll be able to use emojis in your posts.

I have set up a small demonstration of what it will look like here (you can sign in with your normal account): https://staging.fsuniverse.net/index.php

Feel free to have a play and let me know your thoughts so I can get tweaks and improvements made.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I had no problems with the changes. The only initial thing I wondered was how to see only the new posts in a thread, but I clicked on the thread et voila!

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
I had no problems with the changes. The only initial thing I wondered was how to see only the new posts in a thread, but I clicked on the thread et voila!
For the most part, when you click in to a thread, you'll automatically be taken to the first unread post (whether that's the first post or a post on page 5, for example). :)

suep1963

It doesn’t like my password, and now I’m locked out of there. If I get bumped off of here I’m screwed!

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Okay, I just started a thread on the new board in Board Business. I like everything, but I can't seem to find those tiny emoji things that are included in some of the posts. Does it depend on the browser I'm using maybe or am I just looking in the wrong place for them?

Okay, I just found my answer from @Server Guy over at the new board. I'm not on a cell phone. So, I don't have an emoji keyboard. I'm always on my laptop, but I believe there is an emoji keyboard I can pull up with Windows 10. I just haven't learned how to do that.

I do like everything else so far. You're doing a great job, @Server Guy.

Last edited:

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
To open the emoji keyboard on windows 10, press the Windows key and . (the period punctuation mark) key, OR the Windows key and ; (semi-colon) key. Either of these combinations should bring it up.

galaxygirl

Rain City Bitch Pigeon
First of all, let me just say that I hate change and I really like the current look so it's pretty much given that I won't be happy about the upgrade :D

So here it goes... I've just had a brief look on mobile and the accent colors and the link colors are too light so there isn't enough contrast and the new symbol on new posts is too bright. Also, in the forum view, I like being able to see the number of pages in the thread. Finally, I think the bar on the left side of posts plus the font being bigger makes it look busier. I like the amount of white space in the current version.

floridaice

Things look much better on my phone than the current design. However, I agree with @galaxygirl that the colors are too light. I prefer the color scheme of the current design. The type is lighter too -- it appears bolder/thicker on the current design, which is easier to read. I don't usually need my reading glasses with the current design on my phone -- I will need them with the new design.. Only reason i won't need the glasses on my laptop is because I have a 17 inch screen, but the font is smaller and there is barely enough contrast for my middle age eyes!

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, let me just say that I hate change and I really like the current look so it's pretty much given that I won't be happy about the upgrade :D

So here it goes... I've just had a brief look on mobile and the accent colors and the link colors are too light so there isn't enough contrast and the new symbol on new posts is too bright. Also, in the forum view, I like being able to see the number of pages in the thread. Finally, I think the bar on the left side of posts plus the font being bigger makes it look busier. I like the amount of white space in the current version.
Things look much better on my phone than the current design. However, I agree with @galaxygirl that the colors are too light. I prefer the color scheme of the current design. The type is lighter too -- it appears bolder/thicker on the current design, which is easier to read. I don't usually need my reading glasses with the current design on my phone -- I will need them with the new design.. Only reason i won't need the glasses on my laptop is because I have a 17 inch screen, but the font is smaller and there is barely enough contrast for my middle age eyes!
Solid points, I’ll get these areas tweaked before the upgrade!

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
If we opted out of the previous design (when you made upgrades a year ago) can we still keep the old display of the boards like Im still using?
Nope. I’ve tried to keep things as similar as possible if you’re using the old design. You’ll just need to select the FSU Classic style.

chapis

But why on the new platform my avatar is an avatar that I used months ago?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
A thumbs down button might be handy!
That's what I see on YouTube for when someone likes or dislikes a video. I see several of the (y) or the (n) on a lot of my videos. I see mostly (y), however. lol!

clairecloutier

While liking posts is nice, what do you think re adding extra reactions such as the ones on Facebook? Please answer asap.

I wish there was a hug “like” (and o think it’s a good idea to have more then just “like”)

I'd like to see a ((hug)) or sad/sympathy reaction option for when sad news is posted. That's something I would use.

I'm NOT in favor of a thumbs-down or dislike reaction option. There's more than enough negativity on this board already IMO. No need to increase it with negative reactions. I don't like that feature in YouTube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information