Figure Skating Beijing 2022 Schedule

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Highly doubt the event schedule stays as it is (and it's already the 9th version). I get that they have to fit the skating around other sports and time slots, but it makes zero sense to have the pairs finish the team event first and then finish the individual competition last. Also, three days between segments for dancers and men in the team comp? Just a mess.

Japanfan

This 1000 times over!!! Team event should be last.

I don't agree. I think the team event helps skaters to build morale. Mind you, I'd be perfectly okay if there were no team event at all. I like it in that I get to see more skating, but on the whole, I think it sort of waters down the FS events. It's not as exciting to see the team event as it is to see the individuals events - at least, not for me.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The team event is fun but should definitely be saved for last. Builds up more excitement, especially after they've already skated.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The team event is fun but should definitely be saved for last. Builds up more excitement, especially after they've already skated.

I agree. It would be akin to having the World Team Trophy soon after Worlds. As it should be...all of the silliness in the separate Kiss n Cry boxes. Something apart from the elegance of the REAL competition.

starrynight

I do wonder if the team event is first so the individual gold medal winners don’t get spooked at the prospect of an immediate rematch and withdraw.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just bumping up this thread, version 10 of the schedule has the men getting a day off (again) between team and individual competition.

Oh, thank goodness they fixed that! We noticed there was a discrepancy in the way the Team Event naming of the FS participants read and it was being caused by having the TE Men's FS and the TE Pairs FS order reversed. Now, they have flipped the two and the schedule makes SO much more sense, plus it gives the Men the day off they should have.

shuilee

Bad news! The Super Bowl is at the exact same time as the Ice Dance Finals! :eek: That defeats the whole purpose of making Ice Dance finals in the morning for the athletes. NBC probably won't even show it, except for the final group (which is around 11pm-11:45pm EST on Sunday night). The Super Bowl coverage is usually over by 11pm. But if there's Overtime, then NBC won't show the Final Group at all.

If we do get to watch the final group, there'll probably be 40-50 million people watching Ice Dance final group on NBC, probably highest ratings since Nancy vs Tonya? Too bad the top teams have disappointing or boring Free Dance music choices this year. Could have really been an opportunity to grab the American audiences.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Bad news! The Super Bowl is at the exact same time as the Ice Dance Finals! :eek: That defeats the whole purpose of making Ice Dance finals in the morning for the athletes. NBC probably won't even show it, except for the final group (which is around 11pm-11:45pm EST on Sunday night). The Super Bowl coverage is usually over by 11pm. But if there's Overtime, then NBC won't show the Final Group at all.

If we do get to watch the final group, there'll probably be 40-50 million people watching Ice Dance final group on NBC, probably highest ratings since Nancy vs Tonya? Too bad the top teams have disappointing or boring Free Dance music choices this year. Lots of slow or funeral-like music. Could have really been an opportunity to grab the American audiences.
A more realistic scenario is they'll just show it on one of the cable subsidiaries like the Olympic channel or others. I doubt the network is going to be that interested given the far greater revenue the super bowl generates including post game wrap ups and the general lack of concern by the viewing public in ice dance.

Debbie S

IIRC, last time they showed the first 2 groups on NBCSN and the last 2 on NBC, and that was true for all disciplines. I find it kind of crazy that NBC wanted to televise both the Super Bowl and the Olys (I read they were supposed to get the SB next year but swapped with another network so they could have both the same year) but I assume their thinking was that they'd be able to televise the last 2 groups like they are probably planning for the other disciplines. But the SB usually doesn't end by 10 pm (the official end time) and ice dance is a discipline where multiple USA teams are in the medal mix.

I assume we'll at least see the final group but I hope they've planned to show everything on cable until they can switch over to network.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Color me confused... In what reality is it ever going to be a possibility that the mothership NBC will broadcast the early FD groups? Certainly not the one in which we live. I cannot imagine that NBC will not make sure that the entire FD event is broadcast live on one of the satellite cable channels, but, if for some reason, they don't then you can bet your bottom dollar they will have it available on NBCOlympics.com, just like they did for every single sport during Tokyo. And I will be shocked if we don't have commentary on the NBCOlympics feed.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yeah, we've never gotten close to an 'entire' event live during the Olympics on NBC and I guarantee they aren't going to fill their primetime coverage with 4 hours of ice dance even if there was no Super Bowl. There are other sports they have to weave in and out of, and since both top American teams are likely to be in the final FD group barring disaster, there's no real rush to scramble for other options.

It'll be between networks as it has been the last I don't know how many Olympics (at least two), with the most important final flight stuff live on National TV.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
NBC showing COMPLETE figure skating sessions on major national tv? NEVER HAPPENED and nevel WILL

2014 = Sochi Complete short and free skates were live at NBCSN, then highlights on NBC primetime
2018 = Figure Skating Live back and forth between NBCSN and NBC, finals of alpine ski, snowboard, freestyle live at the same time as skating so it was a mix of sports.

2022 = Guess what? Team, Men's and Ice Dance only to have morning session finals, what will happen? exactly like in Pyeongchang, NBCSN is disappearing as a channel, so the Olympic Channel will be the one to show the early groups and NBC will show only those groups with americans and maybe penultimate or final groups.

Again, alpine ski, snowboard, freestyle skiing finals at the same time as skating and given those are sports have americans with big chances of taking gold medals, that's the main goal for NBC to show american gold as it happens.

Frau Muller

NBC showing COMPLETE figure skating sessions on major national tv? NEVER HAPPENED and nevel WILL

2014 = Sochi Complete short and free skates were live at NBCSN, then highlights on NBC primetime
2018 = Figure Skating Live back and forth between NBCSN and NBC, finals of alpine ski, snowboard, freestyle live at the same time as skating so it was a mix of sports.

2022 = Guess what? Team, Men's and Ice Dance only to have morning session finals, what will happen? exactly like in Pyeongchang, NBCSN is disappearing as a channel, so the Olympic Channel will be the one to show the early groups and NBC will show only those groups with americans and maybe penultimate or final groups.

Again, alpine ski, snowboard, freestyle skiing finals at the same time as skating and given those are sports have americans with big chances of taking gold medals, that's the main goal for NBC to show american gold as it happens.
Won’t Peacock also be an option, for watching in the US? How did we watch all gymnastics routines from the recent Summer Olympics? Online (not television), that I recall…having to sit in front of a laptop. No big TV in the living room…so maybe it wasn’t on Peacock after all. There was a way but my mind is foggy.

UPDATE: I looked back at my notes from the Summer Oly gymnastics. I had to watch on my laptop - no TV options in the US to watch all gymnasts in real time. I think that it’ll be the same for 2022 Winter O figure skating:

Notice that they’ve already lined-up the specific shows. (Scroll down to “Live and upcoming”) So I’ll be sitting at the damn computer again, I’m afraid. No cozy couch for me except to watch the opening & closing ceremonies. 😭

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Won’t Peacock also be an option, for watching in the US? How did we watch all gymnastics routines from the recent Summer Olympics? Online (not television), that I recall…having to sit in front of a laptop. No big TV in the living room…so maybe it wasn’t on Peacock after all. There was a way but my mind is foggy.
It was the NBC Sports app (which you need cable for). Peacock only showed delayed replays.

Tahuu

UPDATE: I looked back at my notes from the Summer Oly gymnastics. I had to watch on my laptop - no TV options in the US to watch all gymnasts in real time. I think that it’ll be the same for 2022 Winter O figure skating:

Notice that they’ve already lined-up the specific shows. (Scroll down to “Live and upcoming”) So I’ll be sitting at the damn computer again, I’m afraid. No cozy couch for me except to watch the opening & closing ceremonies. 😭
If you have a smart tv, you may cast from you pc to your tv or airplay from you iPhone to you tv. If you don’t, Black Friday is a good time to get one.

Frau Muller

If you have a smart tv, you may cast from you pc to your tv or airplay from you iPhone to you tv. If you don’t, Black Friday is a good time to get one.
I have SmartTV but have never done “casting”…sounds scary & I don’t want to mess up TV. Family would kill me, LOL!
Yes, I’m the only skating fan in the household. Maybe best to hibernate in the home office, sitting at a desk, for two weeks…ha ha.

skatingguy

decently
I have SmartTV but have never done “casting”…sounds scary & I don’t want to mess up TV. Family would kill me, LOL!
Yes, I’m the only skating fan in the household. Maybe best to hibernate in the home office, sitting at a desk, for two weeks…ha ha.
There's an option in the browser menu to cast, or many video streaming services have a button that allows you to cast the video directly to your TV.

Frau Muller

There's an option in the browser menu to cast, or many video streaming services have a button that allows you to cast the video directly to your TV.
Well, I still have a couple of months to practice, rotfl! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information