Figure Skating Beijing 2022 Schedule

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Beijing 2022
Figure Skating Schedule (as of November 20, 2020)

Of course considering the current conditions and the uncertain times, but given I did not see anything related to this issue I did some research and found the latest edition (seventh) of the sports schedule of the Beijing 2022 Games.

This time, the 'traditional' order will suffer a bit change. Men go first, pairs go last. NBC got the deal for Team Event, Men and Free Dance being slated like in Pyeongchang morning times for prime time, but Russia and China will have their events (ladies and pairs) primetime.

US Time Zone

Thursday February 3

Team Event Men Short Program, Ladies Short Program, Rhythm Dance

Pacific 5:30pm-10:35 pm

Eastern 8:30pm-01:35 am

Saturday February 5

Team Event Pairs Short Program, Men Free Skate

Pacific 5:30-9:05 pm

Eastern 8:30pm-12:05 am

Sunday February 6

Team Event Pairs Free Skate, Free Dance, Ladies Free Skate

Pacific 6:30-10:00 pm

Eastern 9:30pm-01:00 am

Monday February 7

Men Short Program

Pacific 5:15-9:30 pm

Eastern 8:15pm-12:30 am

Wednesday February 9

Men Free Skate

Pacific 5:30-9:40 pm

Eastern 8:30pm-12:40 am

Friday February 11

Rhythm Dance

Pacific 03:00-06:40 am

Eastern 06:00-09:40 am

Saturday February 12

Free Dance

Pacific 6:00-9:35 pm

Eastern 9:00pm-12:35 am

Tuesday February 15

Ladies Short Program

Pacific 02:00-06:25 am

Eastern 05:00-09:25 am

Thursday February 17

Ladies Free Skate

Pacific 02:00-06:10 am

Eastern 05:00-09:10 am

Friday February 18

Pairs Short Program

Pacific 02:30-05:45 am

Eastern 05:30-08:45 am

Saturday February 19

Pairs Free Skate

Pacific 03:00-06:05 am

Eastern 06:00-09:05 am

Gala Exhibition

Pacific 8:00-10:30 pm

Eastern 11:00pm-01:30 am

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Is the first time that the order has changed since the Winter Olympics went to the 2 week format - I feel like every Olympics is Pairs, Men, Dance, Ladies - will be interesting. I thought the team event was supposed to go last, which is kind of disappointing.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There's so much spacing between events, too (only to really cram it into the end). IIRC for a long time it was the standard SP/day off/LP/next event the next day setup.

Team event still should be last. And I can see NBC means exactly nothing this time around in terms of trying to get primetime live coverage for the big events ;)

ETA- I feel bad for the dancers skating at completely different times of day.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Given the US' strongest medal hopes are in men and dance, not surprising that NBC got those shifted to US prime time. I'm a little surprised that they were willing to put both of those events in the first week though. Would have been interesting to see the Ladies lead off, followed by Dance, then Mens and Pairs.

starrynight

I wish the team event was last. I’m quite sick of it just being used as a warmup for the individual event for top fed skaters and/or top skaters not competing to focus on the individual events.

Nations get those team spots due to rankings and then it’s frustrating when (for example Papadakis/Cizeron) those top skaters don’t compete.

skatingguy

decently
Given the US' strongest medal hopes are in men and dance, not surprising that NBC got those shifted to US prime time. I'm a little surprised that they were willing to put both of those events in the first week though. Would have been interesting to see the Ladies lead off, followed by Dance, then Mens and Pairs.
Just the men & team event will be in prime time for an American audience.

Braulio

There's so much spacing between events, too. IIRC for a long time it was the standard SP/day off/LP/next event the next day setup.

Team event still should be last. And I can see NBC means exactly nothing this time around in terms of trying to get primetime live coverage for the big events ;)

For Tokyo NBC 'only' got Swimming for morning finals and some athletics stuff, Artistic Gymnastics (with Simone Biles) will go at Japanese primetime

Maybe a trend is starting? with Beijing the only sports that will have early finals and fit US TV times will be Figure Skating (partly) Alpine Ski & Snowboard (Halfpipe and Slopestyle)

Braulio

@tony I also liked the day in between events, gives us time to enjoy more things, also the last 4 days with ladies & pairs back to back will be exhausting (consider those of us ultra olympic fans that also follow other sports if not everything)

BTW Ice dance is separated, Rhythm Dance will take part on friday evening, Free Dance on Sunday morning

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
@tony I also liked the day in between events, gives us time to enjoy more things, also the last 4 days with ladies & pairs back to back will be exhausting (consider those of us ultra olympic fans that also follows other sports if not everything)

BTW Ice dance is separated, Rhythm Dance will take part on friday evening, Free Dance on Sunday morning
Yes, I edited my post because I realized it wasn't back to back days when accounting for Beijing time. Still, as you said, it's odd that they split the time as such.

Maybe short track is getting some of the prime hours?

Braulio

Yes, I edited my post because I realized it wasn't back to back days when accounting for Beijing time. Still, as you said, it's odd that they split the time as such.

Maybe short track is getting some of the prime hours?

Short Track will have 6 sessions, scheduled at evening to go Prime time to fit Korean tv times of course since they have the best skaters in this sport

Last edited:

DaveRocks

Eh?
Thank you so much @Braulio for posting this. I've been looking online for this information for a while, but couldn't find it. Would you mind either posting or pm'ing me the link where you found it so I can stay up to date? Mr. DaveRocks and I will be going (well, if the Olympics actually happen), and it's never too early to starting planning. Thanks again.

DaveRocks

Eh?
In Pyeongchang all figure events started at either 10am or 10:30am (local time). We thought it was going to be less exciting as spectators (just feels different in the morning than at night), but we actually didn't really even notice at all. I see for Beijing that they're planning on even earlier start times for some events: e.g., 9:15am for the men's short program and 9:30am for the men's free skate!

barbk

I like that there is so much in week 1. Less time for events to be bumped because skiing gets a weather delay or goes up against an important hockey match. I'm just sorry that the team event isn't ending with the men's free skate.

cheremary

Thank you so much @Braulio for posting this. I've been looking online for this information for a while, but couldn't find it. Would you mind either posting or pm'ing me the link where you found it so I can stay up to date? Mr. DaveRocks and I will be going (well, if the Olympics actually happen), and it's never too early to starting planning. Thanks again.

Has any ticketing info been released yet? I’ve only found news about Alibaba being the ticket provider and that tickets will be digital.

@Braulio I’d also love to know where the schedule info was posted. Thank you!

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Has any ticketing info been released yet? I’ve only found news about Alibaba being the ticket provider and that tickets will be digital.

@Braulio I’d also love to know where the schedule info was posted. Thank you!

It has been posted on the Chinese website of Beijing 2022 on 17th November 2020. I haven't found it on the English version website though.

The second link there is to download the pdf file of full schedule. (The link seems to be automatically blocked by my Chrome browser however it works on Safari.)

ETA: @Braulio 's link below works better.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh's latest:

Braulio

So with the updated Ice Dance, the converted US Zone Time will be

Rhythm Dance - Saturday 12 February

03:00-06:40 am Pacific
06:00-09:40 am Eastern

Free Dance - Sunday 13 February

05:15-08:50 pm Pacific
08:15-11:50 pm Eastern

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games competition schedule version 9
Source:Beijing2022 2021-06-08 [June 8, 2021] 22:08:27
With the approval of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Beijing Organising Committee for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games released the version 9 competition schedule. As the preparatory work progresses, the competition schedule of the Beijing Olympic Games may still be adjusted.

Direct link to PDF: Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games Competition Schedule V9

(Bolded are the latest changes)

Friday, February 4 - Team Event Day 1: Men Short Program, Rhythm Dance, Pairs Short Program 9:30-14:55 local time
Thursday, February 3
5:30-10:55 pm Pacific Time (PT)
8:30 pm-1:55 am Eastern Time (ET) on Friday

Sunday, February 6 - Team Event Day 2: Women Short Program, Pairs Free Skate 9:30-12:45 local time
Saturday, February 5
5:30-8:45 pm PT
8:30-11:45 pm ET

Monday, February 7 - Team Event Day 3: Men Free Skate, Free Dance, Women Free Skate 9:15-12:30 local time
Sunday, February 6
5:15-8:30 pm PT
8:15-11:30 pm ET

Tuesday, February 8 - Men Short Program 9:15-13:30 local time
Monday, February 7
5:15-9:30 pm PT
8:15 pm-12:30 am ET on Tuesday

Thursday, February 10 - Men Free Skate 9:30-13:40 local time
Wednesday, February 9
5:30-9:40 pm PT
8:30 pm-12:40 am ET on Thursday

Saturday, February 12 - Rhythm Dance 19:00-22:40 local time
3:00-6:40 am PT
6:00-9:40 am ET

Monday, February 14 - Free Dance 9:15-12:50 local time
Sunday, February 13
5:15-8:50 pm PT
8:15-11:50 pm ET

Tuesday, February 15 - Women Short Program 18:00-22:25 local time
2:00-6:25 am PT
5:00-9:25 am ET

Thursday, February 17 - Women Free Skate 18:00-22:10 local time
2:00-6:10 am PT
5:00-9:10 am ET

Friday, February 18 - Pairs Short Program 18:30-21:45 local time
2:30-5:45 am PT
5:30-8:45 am ET

Saturday, February 19 - Pairs Free Skate 19:00-22:10 local time
3:00-6:10 am PT
6:00-9:10 am ET

Sunday, February 20 - Gala Exhibition 12:00 noon-14:30 local time
8:00 pm-10:30 am PT
11:00 pm-1:30 am ET on Monday

DaveRocks

Eh?
Thanks, Sylvia, for the update.

I’m getting nervous about tickets and whether or not they’ll be available for sale to everyone.

Karen-W

Well, at this point, it looks like the better part of valor involves taking that 3rd week of February off of work, which is fine since I have a boatload of PTO to use. I'll be less than useful at work between trying to watch the skating live in the middle of the night and all of the chatter/conversations in the fandom due to the results of each segment of the competition.

By the way - let's just put to bed the notion of any male medal contender skating the Men's FS in the Team Event right now.

seabm7

Monday, February 7 - Team Event Day 3: Men Free Skate, Free Dance, Women Free Skate 9:15-12:30 local time
Sunday, February 6
5:15-8:30 pm PT
8:15-11:30 pm ET

Tuesday, February 8 - Men Short Program 9:15-13:30 local time
Monday, February 7
5:15-9:30 pm PT
8:15 pm-12:30 am ET on Tuesday

For men, the schedule became worse. The skaters should do individual short program the day after they do the team event final.

Karen-W

For men, the schedule became worse. The skaters should do individual short program the day after they do the team event final.
It really is. They could have had a day separation between the Team Event and the Men's SP, then had the Men's FS on Friday instead of Wednesday.

angi

It is really bad, I expect we'll see most countries use one of their two switch options on their men even if they are not medal contenders simply to allow them some rest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information