Feral Cat Advice Needed

Cachoo

So my sweet Boo and I are happy together: When it was so frigid I wanted to make sure the neighborhood ferals made it through the snap. They did and now two regularly stop by: The old tom, who doesn't want to be bothered and simply wants to be fed and the love muffin who is really still a kitten herself and wants to come in---much to Boo's displeasure. I have made a comfortable spot for her on the porch and she is fed while I try to find a home for her. I think she is pregnant. Would it be better to get her to a shelter? There is something you should know: In a few years I will live with my sister. She really doesn't want any animals but I feel like she will make an exception for Boo and that is all. So I really do need to find a place for the love muffin. I haven't really named her because I don't want to get more attached. So for now she is the love muffin.

Japanfan

I would think it best to get her to a shelter, particularly for the sake of the kittens.

But I am no expert, there are a few on this board who can advise you.

sk8pics

You can check with some local shelters and rescues to see if they would accept her. Many shelters have trap, neuter, release programs, but they can’t spay her while she’s pregnant. They may take her, though, and spay her after she has the kittens. It sounds like she could be taken in by someone who’s cat-savvy, or if there are any farms in your area, one of them may like to have her to help keep the mouse population in check.

clairecloutier

@Cachoo I might also recommend posting on Facebook about the love muffin. Someone you know might be interested in taking her and/or the kittens.

From everything I have read and heard, there has been a big increase in pet adoptions during CV19, and some shelters are actually running low on "inventory," so to speak. So, people who have been trying to get a cat at a shelter, but not succeeding yet, might be interested in her.

Former Lurve Goddess

If you are not 100% sure that she will be able to stay with you in the future, it would be better to take her to a shelter. As @clairecloutier says, lots of people are looking for adoptable cats to keep them company right now.
I totally agree. Do check if there's a local feral rescue group in your area, as they usually have folks who will foster pregnant ferals and find homes for the kittens.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Love the name Love Muffin. As a person who fosters cats and kittens, if she is tame get her to a shelter. She could be rehomed and if she has kittens the kittens will certainly get a home. Sounds like she is very friendly and could be adoptable.

Our kitten season in Australia is almost finished. I fostered quite few this season and about to foster fail my latest one (to go with my two from last season so that will be three). However earlier on I had a mother with one kitten who was absolutely feral to the point of dangerous. I had her for two weeks. She escaped and I had to trap her with a cage to get her back inside. Every time I walked in the room she would hiss, growl and spit when I changed her litter and food. She had sweet moments but could turn at a moment without warning. Had no trust in her. She ended up having to be put down because she was too far past being domesticated. The kitten on the other hand found a wonderful home with a new big brother. The person who adopted her messaged me on FB to send a video of her.

I know there is a big thing about TNR in the US. Here in Australia we don't encourage it because of our native wildlife. Feral cats here grow was big as foxes and incredibly destructive. Any time I have mentioned this on various forums I have the US cat lovers tell me I am going to hell and should die.

Good luck. I know you want to do the right thing by love muffin.

Japanfan

However earlier on I had a mother with one kitten who was absolutely feral to the point of dangerous. I had her for two weeks. She escaped and I had to trap her with a cage to get her back inside. Every time I walked in the room she would hiss, growl and spit when I changed her litter and food. She had sweet moments but could turn at a moment without warning. Had no trust in her. She ended up having to be put down because she was too far past being domesticated.
Why not just release her back into the wild, after spaying? SFAIK that is the policy here.

Aussie Willy

Why not just release her back into the wild, after spaying? SFAIK that is the policy here.
Cats are not native to Australia. They are an introduced species and a declared pest. They kill the native fauna and in the suburbs become a nuisance to the neighbourhood. We have had many native species here that have either been wiped out or near extinction because of feral cats, dogs and foxes. The ones that live in the outback truly are little monsters who grow to the size of a fox. They cannot be tamed. Just releasing them does not solve the problem that they cause.

If you live in a country that has wild cats, you probably wouldn't think it is a problem having a few more domestic ones roaming around. But it is a massive problem here.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Cats are not native to Australia. They are an introduced species and a declared pest. They kill the native fauna and in the suburbes become a nuisance to the neighbourhood. We have had many native species here that have either been wiped out or near extinction because of feral cats, dogs and foxes.
The problem with killing them is that it opens up a spot in the ecosystem for another cat. We have people in the US who think the answer to feral cats is to kill them but it doesn't work. TNR will stabilize a colony and keep it from growing. Studies have shown this; it's not just my opinion.

I can see not wanting enormous cats in the outback but in the suburbs, TNR is going to work better in the long run IMO. Killing them is just a hopeless cause.

Aussie Willy

The problem with killing them is that it opens up a spot in the ecosystem for another cat. We have people in the US who think the answer to feral cats is to kill them but it doesn't work. TNR will stabilize a colony and keep it from growing. Studies have shown this; it's not just my opinion.

I can see not wanting enormous cats in the outback but in the suburbs, TNR is going to work better in the long run IMO. Killing them is just a hopeless cause.
Hmmm what sort of logic is that? The issue here is we do not want cats in our environment full stop. We want to remove them and eliminate the problem. And these cats that become feral are not your cute little moggy. They become full on apex predators who are at the top of the food chain.

Cats do not belong in the ecosystem in Australia, even in the suburbs because we still have native species that exist in the suburbs. There are a number of species here that you won't see anywhere in the world. TNR puts them back in the environment where they can kill and decimate native animal populations. There is a reason I don't allow my cats outside. They are totally indoor cats.

After many discussions on various forums, I don't expect anyone overseas to understand this and why I feel so strongly about it.

Japanfan

Hmmm what sort of logic is that? The issue here is we do not want cats in our environment full stop. We want to remove them and eliminate the problem.
So - kill them all?

Cats do not belong in the ecosystem in Australia, even in the suburbs because we still have native species that exist in the suburbs. There are a number of species here that you won't see anywhere in the world. TNR puts them back in the environment where they can kill and decimate native animal populations. There is a reason I don't allow my cats outside. They are totally indoor cats.

After many discussions on various forums, I don't expect anyone overseas to understand this and why I feel so strongly about it.
I do understand your POV, and expect others will as well. From what you say, it seems that the 'domestic/feral' small cat just shouldn't be allowed in Australia at all? Not everyone can ensure that their cat/cats will be indoors only.

We have wild cats in Canada, so the domestic/feral small cat isn't really an invasive species. But there is some argument as to whether cats should be allowed outside at all, because they do kill birds, at least some of them. None of my cats have ever killed a bird - not even a mouse. Useless cats!

Aussie Willy

So - kill them all?

I do understand your POV, and expect others will as well. From what you say, it seems that the 'domestic/feral' small cat just shouldn't be allowed in Australia at all? Not everyone can ensure that their cat/cats will be indoors only.

We have wild cats in Canada, so the domestic/feral small cat isn't really an invasive species. But there is some argument as to whether cats should be allowed outside at all, because they do kill birds, at least some of them. None of my cats have ever killed a bird - not even a mouse. Useless cats!
I have no problem with people owning cats in Australia (look at my profile picture of my previous kitty Joubert who was diabetic and I kept alive for over 2 years). I now have 3 cats since adopting my latest foster fail yesterday. I have fostered plenty of them over the last couple of years too. I am cat lover through and through. But here they need to be under control and indoors and suggesting that doesn't mean I am anti-cat. But I am all for responsible pet ownership. That includes paying registration fees and microchipping. Strangely where I used to live I paid a registration fee to have a cat but here I don't.

I used to let my previous cats outdoors. They were desexed but still got into fights and ended up with abscesses and have vet bills as a result. It is cheaper and less stressful to keep them inside. Now my current kitties wouldn't even know what to do if they got out. They don't even try.

What I am talking about is Australia specific. I have no opinion about the cat situation anywhere else in the world and what people do. But I would ask people before commenting on the situation as it relates to Australia to maybe do their research on the topic as it applies here.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Hmmm what sort of logic is that?
It's science.

You can't kill them all. So if you don't neuter them, killing them just makes room for new different cats.

Australia has been killing cats forever but still has a big problem. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 🤷‍♀️

Aussie Willy

It's science.

You can't kill them all. So if you don't neuter them, killing them just makes room for new different cats.

Australia has been killing cats forever but still has a big problem. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 🤷‍♀️
No it is not science. It is because they breed so quickly. So it is going to take a massive effort to eradicate them from the Australian outback. But if you do nothing then you double the problem. And the wildlife is still at risk and will become extinct even more quickly. That is insanity. But how much research have you personally done into the problem of the threats to Australian wildlife? I am genuinely interested to know seeing you claim to know a lot about it.

If you get a chance watch a documentary called Quoll Farm which showed on Australian TV a couple of months ago. I went to a screening of it when it premiered on TV where I got to meet the guy who filmed it and has done numerous documentaries including David Attenborough docos. There were families of quolls living in old farm houses and the presenter was living there with them for a year. The biggest threat were the feral cats. Ask someone like that what he thinks about the feral cat problem.

Japanfan

I have no problem with people owning cats in Australia (look at my profile picture of my previous kitty Joubert who was diabetic and I kept alive for over 2 years). I now have 3 cats since adopting my latest foster fail yesterday. I have fostered plenty of them over the last couple of years too. I am cat lover through and through. But here they need to be under control and indoors and suggesting that doesn't mean I am anti-cat. But I am all for responsible pet ownership. That includes paying registration fees and microchipping. Strangely where I used to live I paid a registration fee to have a cat but here I don't.

I used to let my previous cats outdoors. They were desexed but still got into fights and ended up with abscesses and have vet bills as a result. It is cheaper and less stressful to keep them inside. Now my current kitties wouldn't even know what to do if they got out. They don't even try.

What I am talking about is Australia specific. I have no opinion about the cat situation anywhere else in the world and what people do. But I would ask people before commenting on the situation as it relates to Australia to maybe do their research on the topic as it applies here.

I never thought or said you were anti-cat, and apologize if you think I implied it.

I understand your POV.

Also, you must have a household that is well set up for keeping cats indoors?

We live in an upper story part of a house, and like to keep our doors open, for fresh air, pretty much all year around. So the cat and previous cats have always had access to the outdoors. Our current cat got beat up in a scuffle with another animal a few years back, and it has happened since. Nothing like that at all happened with our previous cats. And the cat/cats don't/never have gone far - mostly hang out in the back or front yard.

I have a friend who is a big believer in keeping cats indoors. He lives in a ground level apartment, and doesn't ever open his patio doors, as his cat/cats might get out. He believes there should be a mandate to keep cats indoors, but I can't see that ever working, particularly for people who live in homes with access to the outdoors. Not a problem, obviously, for someone on an upper floor of an apartment building.

Aussie Willy

I never thought or said you were anti-cat, and apologize if you think I implied it.

I understand your POV.

Also, you must have a household that is well set up for keeping cats indoors?

We live in an upper story part of a house, and like to keep our doors open, for fresh air, pretty much all year around. So the cat and previous cats have always had access to the outdoors. Our current cat got beat up in a scuffle with another animal a few years back, and it has happened since. Nothing like that at all happened with our previous cats. And the cat/cats don't/never have gone far - mostly hang out in the back or front yard.

I have a friend who is a big believer in keeping cats indoors. He lives in a ground level apartment, and doesn't ever open his patio doors, as his cat/cats might get out. He believes there should be a mandate to keep cats indoors, but I can't see that ever working, particularly for people who live in homes with access to the outdoors. Not a problem, obviously, for someone on an upper floor of an apartment building.
That's okay.

I actually also don't have an objection to cats being outdoor per se. For me mine are indoors and I used to let previous cats I had out. But I have a pretty big place where they have plenty of room to run around. Where I live down the street there is a lovely cat who greets everyone walking past. The nicest cat.

But again it is their hunting instincts that can be a problem for native animals. So that is what I am concerned about. I have no problem with them catching mice unless they are of the native kind.

Some local government regions in Australia actually ban cats or they must be kept indoors or in a cat enclosure. That is how seriously the problem is viewed.

I have a friend who has an amazing cat enclosure for her cats. It has a tunnel that leads down from a balcony and along the fence to a massive pen. It is like being at a little zoo. :) I would do that too if I had a big enough garden.

However I have had some local cats spray on my front door of recent times which is really annoying. And cats should be indoors at night because they do fight.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This is an interesting BBC.com article about an effort to expose native Australian species to a small number of cats, in hopes they'll figure out how to avoid them:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...olution-how-much-should-we-help-species-adapt
I think these sorts of approaches are going to work much better than just killing whatever animal it is you've deemed doesn't belong there or is harmful. As the article says, you can't kill every cat. If you can't kill them all, then the ones that are there are going to breed. And make more. So it's a never-ending a futile battle.

Aussie Willy

Yeah, neither does the "white man", if memory serves. And from what you say, cats wouldn't be there without them either.
Yep that is right. European colonisation which also covered most other parts of the world to including North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Antarctica. Unless you were from original descendants, then you are from an introduced species to your country. Having an aboriginal great great grandmother wonder what that makes me :).

I have been talking about cats but there is a major problem of feral animals in Australia. Dogs, horses, camels, pigs, foxes, rabbits, cane toads, certain types of plants, etc. All introduced by the English settlers to make the country feel more English or in the case of cane toads trying to get rid of the cane beetle which has in turn created a massive environmental problem in itself.

acraven

Some years ago I watched an interesting PBS documentary about the raccoon problem in Japan. Among other issues, the creatures were destroying historic wooden temples. As explained by the the article linked below, the introduction of raccoons in Japans can be traced straight back to an animated series featuring a cute-as-the-dickens raccoon. People decided they wanted one as a pet. That went about as well as one might expect, so the imported creatures ended up being were turned loose to wreak havoc. At the time of the filming of the PBS show, there wasn't much pussyfooting going on: The experts tasked with protecting the temples and the native wildlife were trying to figure out how to kill all the raccoons as efficiently as possible.

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/raccoons-in-japan/

Aussie Willy

I know that Australian eucalyptus trees are a major problem in the US (mainly California). Some bright spark obviously thought it was a good idea to plant them and then they have proliferated. When I have done tours there they get talked about.

I heard someone on a train years ago when I was travelling from Oakland to LA talk about it. I was very tempted to say it was retribution for introducing McDonalds to Australia.

Cachoo

Some years ago I watched an interesting PBS documentary about the raccoon problem in Japan. Among other issues, the creatures were destroying historic wooden temples. As explained by the the article linked below, the introduction of raccoons in Japans can be traced straight back to an animated series featuring a cute-as-the-dickens raccoon. People decided they wanted one as a pet. That went about as well as one might expect, so the imported creatures ended up being were turned loose to wreak havoc. At the time of the filming of the PBS show, there wasn't much pussyfooting going on: The experts tasked with protecting the temples and the native wildlife were trying to figure out how to kill all the raccoons as efficiently as possible.

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/raccoons-in-japan/
I would think having a pet raccoon would be like having a the most active child who also ingested steroids. I bring the cat food for the ferals in at night but fell asleep early and heard all sorts of noise outside and saw the largest raccoon I've ever seen. I wondered if it was a pregnant female or just a large male. Boo was fascinated.

sk8pics

I would think in order to eradicate the feral cats in Australia there would have to be a concerted effort to kill them all in a short time span. The effort boggles the mind. I don’t have an answer.

I will say that the TNR programs here (not in Australia ;)) have been working well to reduce stray/feral cat populations. The colony that Bradley joined had gone from 8 cats to 2 cats over the previous year or two. It’s a slow process, but that colony won’t exist in the not too distant future.

Cachoo

Quick question: Have your cats had any sort of reaction to vaccinations and boosters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information