Euros vs. 4CC

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
imo in addition to the timing issues, the biggest reasons for top skater - and others too - skipping 4CC is the incredibly physically taxing travel and time zone adjustments involved with 4CC when compared to Europeans.

Many European skaters train in North America and travel from there for Euros, even in an Olympic year. You see skaters do a Grand Prix in North America one week and another in Asia the following week.

This is like arguing that Wimbledon and the Australian Open are both as prestigious as each other because they are both Grand Slams. :lol:

Orm Irian

Many European skaters train in North America and travel from there for Euros, even in an Olympic year. You see skaters do a Grand Prix in North America one week and another in Asia the following week.

Those skaters don't have to change hemispheres and climates at the same time as travelling between continents, though. Those extra factors make a difference for many FCC skaters, as not all of them train in the same hemisphere that the competition is in, whereas that's a rare circumstance for Euros skaters.

And everyone knows the Australian Open is twice as prestigious as Wimbledon, if not more, for what it's worth. Or at least, everyone here does... :D

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Those skaters don't have to change hemispheres and climates at the same time as travelling between continents, though. Those extra factors make a difference for many FCC skaters, as not all of them train in the same hemisphere that the competition is in, whereas that's a rare circumstance for Euros skaters.

Think you need to read my post again.

oleada

I think there are several reasons that Europeans can be seen as more prestigious:

- History of the event
- Top skaters always attend
- Skaters actually earn their spots. For example, Canada has 3 spots in ladies no matter what; but had they placed the same at Europeans, they would have only 2. I get that most countries at 4CC have little to no history of skating but it’s not like the average European country has a ton of depth/success either.
- The atmosphere in Europeans is a lot better. How many times has 4CC been held in a near empty arena in Taiwan?

That said, I think the quality of skating is very comparable. Generally, the skaters in 4CC (particularly in singles) are stronger at the top. I think generally Europeans has more depth in pairs and dance. The middle to bottom skaters at Euros tend to be a lot stronger than the ones at 4CC.

Personally, I enjoy watching both :cheer: But Euros has infinitely more voids.

Skate Talker

This is like arguing that Wimbledon and the Australian Open are both as prestigious as each other because they are both Grand Slams. :lol:

Um - well I actually never said I thought the 2 events were equal right now, because I don't.

skatfan

Skating wise I felt VERY satisfied with attending 4CCs this year with world medalists in each discipline. The men’s event is stronger than Euros, Dance about the same, ladies equally strong, pairs about the same too.

Anaheim was a great location with many skating clubs in the area - a knowledgeable crowd for the most part, but some first time live attendees who now are considering Skate America. But pairs and Dance attendance was very sparse (which meant I got to move down for those events - yay!)

Also there were a fair number of Japanese fans who came because they can’t get tix to events in Japan.

But no, it doesn’t have the same feel that Euros has with a 100 year old tradition.

sharsk8s

Skating wise I felt VERY satisfied with attending 4CCs this year with world medalists in each discipline. The men’s event is stronger than Euros, Dance about the same, ladies equally strong, pairs about the same too.

Anaheim was a great location with many skating clubs in the area - a knowledgeable crowd for the most part, but some first time live attendees who now are considering Skate America. But pairs and Dance attendance was very sparse (which meant I got to move down for those events - yay!)

Also there were a fair number of Japanese fans who came because they can’t get tix to events in Japan.

But no, it doesn’t have the same feel that Euros has with a 100 year old tradition.
I think the dance event at Euros was better over all. The top 10 were overall stronger than the top 10 at 4cc making it more interesting to watch. Also the top 4 at Euros are all competitors on the world stage. But thats personal preference. The 4cc event was very interesting too

VGThuy

I think the dance event at Euros was better over all. The top 10 were overall stronger than the top 10 at 4cc making it more interesting to watch. Also the top 4 at Euros are all competitors on the world stage. But thats personal preference. The 4cc event was very interesting too

So are the top 4 at 4CC though. Plus no. 5 made the GPF and actually won a GP event whereas Euro no. 5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information