Ermolina's interview with Zagitova `Only the relatives and coaches knew what that victory cost me'

zounger

Don’t know about press conferences , but Konstantinova seems to be well-spoken and articulate as well, I remember being impressed with some of her video interviews.

Agree, I think she and Shcherbakova, even if she is younger, are the most articulate among the top Russian ladies.

Perky Shae Lynn

Are you saying that being socially immature and/or innocent helps one to love a dog? Plenty of mature people with loads of life experiences both good and bad love dogs.

If that's what you think - well then I'm sorry you'll not ever know the joy and connection that comes with a relationship with a dog.
How did you even come to that conclusion? This is not a cause and effect situation. Two separate things: (a) being young and not having a lot of interests outside of the rink; and (b) loving her dog and being most comfortable speaking of that relationship. I am in my 40s, love my dog, and speak of him probably more than of my kids. And we volunteer at the shelter where we got our doggie. So no, this was not an indictment of human relationships with dogs and other animals :rolleyes:.

Finsta

Well, she showed up :p

After Alina saying how difficult this was for her, I’m sure some can see how difficult it must’ve been also for Sarah. So she has earned respect from me for sticking around after winning Gold and showing for nationals and world. Talk about a skater that was and continued being called a fluke- Sarah had even more pressure to prove herself. Except her goals and mind was elsewhere and not 100% focus of competition

Finsta

In what sense defensive?!

Her exhibit skate to survivor. That is message loud and clear. To whom? She seemed to believe she was proving something. That’s being defensive. She had been that way all season. That’s part of the pressure she faced. Most coaches will not allow skater to feed into that. They’ll protect and set straight. Most wont participate in the drama. Did this happen for Alina? Seems most interviews focused on poor her and injuries, mental things. I hope she’s back next year and stronger and skating for her. No talk of quitting. Just letting skating speak

Perky Shae Lynn

You know, all skaters are different. Some thrive when they feel like it's them against the world. Maybe Alina needed to feel that to get fired up. She's not the only one. Many skaters have spoken about that feeling. Different things motivate different people. I see no problem with that.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Her exhibit skate to survivor. That is message loud and clear. To whom? She seemed to believe she was proving something. That’s being defensive. She had been that way all season. That’s part of the pressure she faced. Most coaches will not allow skater to feed into that. They’ll protect and set straight. Most wont participate in the drama. Did this happen for Alina? Seems most interviews focused on poor her and injuries, mental things. I hope she’s back next year and stronger and skating for her. No talk of quitting. Just letting skating speak
I think you might be reading way too much into things, especially since Alina's English isn't good. I suspect they just liked the music to Survivor and it wasn't some conscious statement. Moreover, in Russia, the norm is for the coach/choreographer to select music. Even Moskvina does this as she thinks she's the better judge. Skaters in the West do things differently, but in Russia, this is the norm, especially for teenaged skaters. I wouldn't worry about Alina.

Tinami Amori

Her exhibit skate to survivor. That is message loud and clear. To whom? She seemed to believe she was proving something. That’s being defensive. She had been that way all season.
:rofl: Skaters come out on the ice at every competition to DEFEND their titles and medals... What you win in one event it is yours until the next event, where you start at ground zero, and have to defend..

:smokin: yes, she's been "this way" all season, and ended up a World Gold medalist, in SP, FS, and over all. That's what one is supposed to do "try to prove, defend and win"...

Tinami Amori

CaliSteve

The rest - Zagitova, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Kostornaya (I don't remember hearing Scherbakova or Trusova) and who not - have a vocabulary of a 5 y.o, all their phrases are exactly the same - `I want to thank my coach, I want to thank my fans, it's a hard work and I do my job'. Pogorilaya stands aside with probably the worst vocabulary, most of her answers begin with `it's like you know' and hardly get any further.

Sounds alot like our American skaters....

Tinami Amori

Perky Shae Lynn

I want Anna and Alena to succeed - and to have sustainable careers. They are both such talented skaters. But I know I shouldn't get my hopes up.

VenusH.

Well, actually, I like the Survivor Gala. I kinda wish they would let her skate to Christina Aquilera's "Fighter" or something similar. I feel she may embody that well.

Carmen did not work for her. I am sure she liked that music and wanted to be like Witt... but... I cannot see Alina flirting with a guy. She is the type who will pet a stray cat and adore butterflies and ignore the hot guy next to her. But I bet she dances and sings to inspirational songs in her home, as many teens do.

Seriously... let the girl skate to a modern music. And let her hold her poses. Give her a song about making it on her own the world, or dancing... just no more rushed warhorses.

mollymgr

I really liked the interview. It just shows how much pressure there is to compete at the elite level. It is hard to get to the top but it is even harder staying there. It also shows that the Olympics are not the end all be all. It is just another competition but happens at a much magnified scale and it has different effects on people. It seems like the obvious reaction would have been sheer joy for her. After all, it is every figure skater's dream. But it ended up becoming an exercise in having to prove that she had been worthy. She definitely learned a lot about herself. I think the biggest lesson is how she overcame the low after the high. All this before the age of 17. I'm also happy to see she that is so loved in Japan.

Alez

Well, actually, I like the Survivor Gala. I kinda wish they would let her skate to Christina Aquilera's "Fighter" or something similar. I feel she may embody that well.

Seriously... let the girl skate to a modern music. And let her hold her poses. Give her a song about making it on her own the world, or dancing... just no more rushed warhorses.

I kinda think Alina will possibly be skating to Selena Gomez (at least for her EX) next season. She mentioned something about dreaming to meet Selena Gomez soon. Alina signed with Puma her endorsement deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdhXnPb1ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnwKcYvnGoc

Selena Gomez is Puma girl too: https://us.puma.com/en/us/womens/featured/puma-x-sg

So... those Alina's stans now is suspecting Puma will try to do some sort of a collaboration between them both. Cross-marketing between fans of celebrities from different field sorta situation. So currently Alina's teen-age fans are really looking forwards to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJ4kWM5V_g Alina, Selena, girl power and stuff. Puma would love to see Alina skating to Gomez music next season. Cross-media marketing is always good for a brand and sales.

So, pick a song of Selena Gomez and send your ideas to Puma and Eteri's in-house choreographer Daniil G - https://www.instagram.com/d_gleikh

Fun fact. Last year someone suggested him 'Unstoppable' by Sia for Trusova's EX, he thanked and few months later here you are Unstoppable EX. Read here: https://twitter.com/corsalick/status/1104747409991700481

Last edited:

Alez

Based on hearing their interviews/press conferences only (aka I never actually spoke to any of them, just sat in the press room when they spoke):

The rest - Zagitova, - have a vocabulary of a 5 y.o, all their phrases are exactly the same - `I want to thank my coach, I want to thank my fans, it's a hard work and I do my job'. Pogorilaya stands aside with probably the worst vocabulary, most of her answers begin with `it's like you know' and hardly get any further.

So basically kudos to Ermolina for getting out of Zagitova anything that is beyond `I skated really well, I want to thank my fans'

Zagi can talk rather ok. This would be fun to translate too: https://youtu.be/Ku4_0ivOuc0?t=93

I think it is a mater of who is doing the interview, where and when. I mean c'mon the girl just skated on top of her lungs, left everything on the ice and 10 minutes later they stick a microphone in her face for a flash interview: "How do you feel? What do you think?" If you get the skater in good place and after few ice-breaking tricks you can have a friendly talk with her, and therefore you can have a good interesting interview. Check the link above. Main-editor of Glamour Russia did a good job on Zagitova few months ago.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Carmen did not work for her. I am sure she liked that music and wanted to be like Witt... but... I cannot see Alina flirting with a guy.

I'm not sure that Carmen has worked for anyone since Witt, with the possible exceptions between V/M and Plushenko.

I don't understand why so many skaters choose Carmen. Is it because they want to be like Witt, or is it because they believe they can reinvent it?

Maybe the reasons skaters choose warhorses is that skateable music is hard to find and they don't want to spend time listening to a lot of music? Or because they can save money by using music that already has been cut?

Last edited:

starrynight

Carmen is appealing because it provides an instant character. Put on a red dress and a flower in your hair and voila! Everyone knows who you are and what you are trying to portray. The music does it for you. Whereas it’s a lot harder to create a character and mood if you choose a lesser known piece.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Zagi can talk rather ok. This would be fun to translate too: https://youtu.be/Ku4_0ivOuc0?t=93
Go ahead and translate?
I think it is a mater of who is doing the interview, where and when. I mean c'mon the girl just skated on top of her lungs, left everything on the ice and 10 minutes later they stick a microphone in her face for a flash interview: "How do you feel? What do you think?"
That would be the quick quote in the mixed zone, not a press conference, where they sit on the chairs, well after the skate, sometimes without wearing costumes/make up and the journalists are at least 2m away from them.
Am also comparing the same questions answered in the same circumstances. Not sure why is it so hard to gasp that Lipnitskaya and Medvedeva are better spoken than Pogorilaya and Sotnikova. Well, tough.

Am also not talking about the interviews in length - Vaytsekhovskaya can probably make Rumiantseva sound not an idiot had she tried, while Dadygin would probably make Moskvina sound like an illiterate moron. In this particular interview I think Ermolina did a fabulous job.

Madison25

Can you please elaborate on the full of luck part?
As Eteri herself said the distribution of medals at the Olympics was decided in heaven. I totally agree.
Zagitova won because she was born at the right time and got the momentum: Evgenia's injury and her skipping some competitions.
Note: Eteri didnt say that the gold was won by who deserved, or worked harder, or was just more talented .

Last edited:

Japanfan

As Eteri herself said the distribution of medals at the Olympics was decided in heaven. I totally agree.
Zagitova won because she was born at the right time and got the momentum: Evgenia's injury and her skipping some competitions.
Note: Eteri didnt say that the gold was won by who deserved, or worked harder, or was just more talented .

I don't agree. Zagitova earned and deserved her gold medal, and I'm sure she worked hard for it. Who knows whether Evgenia would have beat her had she not been injured? It doesn't really matter. Skaters commonly gain advantages when their competitors are injured.

The distribution of the medals was decided by the judges, not in heaven.

Finley

I don't agree. Zagitova earned and deserved her gold medal, and I'm sure she worked hard for it. Who knows whether Evgenia would have beat her had she not been injured? It doesn't really matter. Skaters commonly gain advantages when their competitors are injured.

Someone tell Ashley Wagner God likes back-loaded programs better.

Madison25

I quoted Eteri, i suppose she knows better what happened in her camp, as both Zagitova and Medvedeva trained with her during that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information