Ermolina's interview with Zagitova `Only the relatives and coaches knew what that victory cost me'

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Olga Ermolina's interview with Alina Zagitova `Only the relatives and coaches knew what that victory cost me' for fsrussia.ru

We set the time for the interview after the LP in Saitama. There was plenty of time: the winners have to go through the doping control. Remembering how long she needed after the SP we expected to spend quite a while. `I always take while to calm down after the competition. The stress, the emotions. Even drinking the water doesn't help. I just have to wait', explained Alina.
She takes off her sneakers and walks barefooted on the cold floor. Starts checking the bags with the presents and the toys, reads the letter and puts them away. `Every time am surprised the Japanese fans write me in Russian, many cards are handmade. Here, take a look: an album with my photos and wishes. I always take such things back home, just can't leave it behind, even though I have no space left back home'.
Most of the toys go into a huge plastic bags. The Japanese federation will later pass it to the kids. `I think the kids will be happy with the toys - they need it more than I do and I hope the fans will understand and not hold grunge: many skaters donate the toys'.
It's around 3am. Together with Evgenia Medvedeva and the team doctor Filipp Shvetski and the doping controllers we go back to the rink. We pass the training rink on the way - it's being melted. The last day of the competition all the practices and the competitions take place on the main rink. It's unusually quiet. A huge empty arena. The girls take some photos. For them the competition in Saitama is history.

OE: Alina, you never show how happy you are after winning. What was going on inside you this time?
AZ: I wanted to throw everything up to the ceiling, shout loud and jump with happiness! But instead I had to go to the interviews, answer the questions, explain what I feel, be photographed and smile... after all that one gets so tired you just want to lie down and never get up.

OE: Why is this Worlds gold is more important than the Olympic gold for you?
AZ: At the Olympics I didn't yet understand how important it was and didn't know how hard it will be later. I had no problems with the jumps during the Olympic season. I was just going out there and jump, all was easy. It's the season after the Olympics that was hard. I wasn't winning all the time, even though I did make it to the podium. Except for the nationals, which really shook me. I later managed to put it behind, regroup and go back practicing. But the practices were not my best, some things didn't work, it was one thing or the other and it made me nervous. When you skate flawlessly every practice you are confident in a competition. However, when the jumps are not working you start thinking of the mistakes, which is no good. You have to shut such thoughts down.

OE: Were you thinking of drastic changes after the Olympics?
AZ: You mean retiring? No, I didn't think about it. I wanted to keep skating and improve. But I never thought it would be so difficult. When the jumps stopped working I understood how important it is and how much work there is ahead of me.

OE: How hurt were you reading Zagitova won the Olympics by chance? Though only people who understand nothing in the sports would say so.
AZ: I don't get these people. I used to get really upset, though now I care much less. In order to get mad before the LP I read some comments, where people wrote Zagitova won nothing this season, she can't put it together in Japan because she failed her last year's worlds. It turned me on. It probably helped me skating the LP better.

OE: Last season was the most successful in your career, and you probably went into the Worlds in Milano thinking of a victory
AZ: I wasn't thinking about it, because after the Olympics I was will and had 0 clean skates before the Worlds. It was hard to regroup - I lost 2kgs, felt weak and was not completely recovered. I guess I needed a break after Korea and heal, but I understood I can't miss some important meetings. I can't really turn down the invite to meet the Russian president, right? So all and all, I didn't heal completely, went to the worlds and you saw the result.

OE: How were you preparing to the worlds in Saitama?
AZ: After the Europeans I rethought a lot of things, I wanted to work, run to the practices. But the closer we got to the Worlds the more nervous I became. I kept thinking: the competition is soon, it's the one I failed miserably last year. And these thoughts caused the jumps to fail. The jumps were not working and I was even more nervous. I didn't know how to deal with that and started behaving completely out of character: the coaches would say one thing and I would do the opposite.
Deep inside me I knew it's wrong but I just couldn't help myself. No one except for the coaches and relatives knows how hard the preparations to the Worlds were. The coaches had to pull me out, because nothing worked in the practices, I was in a bad place and was even considering just leaving the sports. But the coaches helped me so much and only I know how much it cost them. They really did. Never made me do anything against my will, but found the right words. I wasn't working with the shrinks - my coaches are my shrinks. And they helped me to be prepared for this Worlds.

OE: So can we tell this victory was the point you have to overcome, after which it will become easier?
AZ: Yes. I never said it before, but in this competition I learned I can overcome myself, my character, my thoughts and jumps even when the things don't work at the practices. During those couple of days at the competition I lived through so much, there were so many emotions that it's twice as nice I was able to concentrate here.

OE: What were you lacking previously? The will to win, because in real life you are very kind and nice?
AZ: Real life and sports are two different things. You need to be focused. It's what I was lacking this season in some of the competitions. I would go out and didn't feel like doing much. Just turn away and rest. This competition for the first time I was in the game, which is important. It's the mood I had at the Olympics. I knew: I need it here and now, am close to my goal and I have to reach it. Now in Saitama I had exactly the same set of mind. I was sleeping and dreaming of my goal. I even had a dream, which am not going to reveal, but all worked out well

OE: What is next?
AZ: Am not retiring

OE: I was told in Minsk when the fire alarm went off in the hotel your mom started gathering the papers, but you shouted `Grab the skates and lets run!'.
AZ: Right. After Minsk I wanted to work again. Perhaps it's good I went though so much before that competition. It's just an age, when you understand with your head you are not retiring and not going anywhere, but you say different things. It's being a teenager. It will pass. Think a lot go through it.

OE: What does figure skating mean for you?
AZ: It's my life. I spend all the time on the rink, I practice all the time. It might sound weird, but it's true. I spend a lot of time on the rink. I go to sleep and think what do I have to work on tomorrow at the practice. I get up in the morning and set a plan. I.e. I think of figure skating all the time. About the practices and the competitions. The Olympics and the Worlds are the most memorable.

OE: So what is next - a harder content?
AZ: I don't really like talking about the plans. We'll see.

OE: After the Worlds you are remaining in Japan for the show. Is it a get away?
AZ: I love shows. And in Japan, of all the places! It's a different atmosphere, without the pressure of the competition. It's an opportunity to communicate with the other skaters and the fans. I don't speak English, but we still communicate. A lot of guys try speaking Russian, learn some phrases. Sometimes it's really funny. But I love it. The show in Japan is the best thing that could happen after the Worlds.

OE: There was a booth in Saitama arena where they sold a toy Masaru. Have you seen it?
AZ: No, but I saw a photo. I get a toy Masary every competition thrown on the ice and think I'll be able to open my own booth soon. Every time when I open the bags with the toys there are a couple of such toy dogs with a medal saying `Masaru'. They look so much like the real Masaru. I think Masaru loves it, though she has no idea she is such a star in Japan. I would love to take her here.

OE: What is Masaru for you? Guess she is not just a dog?
AZ: Not just. She feels my mood and is always trying to calm me and make me laugh. I start petting her and all the stress goes away and I smile. When I come back from the practices she jumps on me. Once I didn't quite calculate the distance she jumped and wham! am on the floor. After that I started saying `Masaru, calm down!' when she jumps on me. I am so happy I have her in my life. She doesn't just understand me - she feels me. She listens when we talk. I have a feeling she is not just a dog, but a person who turned into a dog. Grandmother loves Masaru, even though at first she was strictly against. Now they get along so well. Sometimes I come home from the practice, lie down, Iriska the cat jumps on me, Masaru is lies down next. Grandmother guards our sleeping kingdom - being quiet in the kitchen.

OE: What will you remember from this competition in Japan?
AZ: The emotions. Only the coaches and the relatives knew what that victory cost me, how hard the road was. I think they are even more happy than I am about the result. But am twice as happy, because all the work we have done was not in vain. Japan surprised me from the very first time I came here and it keeps surprising. Even the most casual things become unusual here. People are so calm, the traditions are so different. I once made it to a festival where the Japanese dressed up in the anime costumes, wore masks... there is something interesting in every corner in Japan.
The sunrise here is gorgeous. When I came to the show for the first time the jet lag kept me awake - at 4am I looked out from the window and saw the sun rising. It lasted just for several moments and I was filming it on my phone. I felt happy.

OE: What is happiness?
AZ: It's when everyone around me is happy.

bardtoob

AZ: At the Olympics I didn't yet understand how important it was and didn't know how hard it will be later. I had no problems with the jumps during the Olympic season. I was just going out there and jump, all was easy. It's the season after the Olympics that was hard. I wasn't winning all the time, even though I did make it to the podium. Except for the nationals, which really shook me. I later managed to put it behind, regroup and go back practicing. But the practices were not my best, some things didn't work, it was one thing or the other and it made me nervous. When you skate flawlessly every practice you are confident in a competition. However, when the jumps are not working you start thinking of the mistakes, which is no good. You have to shut such thoughts down.
And these thoughts caused the jumps to fail. The jumps were not working and I was even more nervous. I didn't know how to deal with that and started behaving completely out of character: the coaches would say one thing and I would do the opposite.
Deep inside me I knew it's wrong but I just couldn't help myself. No one except for the coaches and relatives knows how hard the preparations to the Worlds were. The coaches had to pull me out, because nothing worked in the practices, I was in a bad place and was even considering just leaving the sports.

Poor thing.

I don't think it was her mentally.

I don't think it was her coaching.

I am glad she rebounded, but I don't know that it was only self doubt and nerves effecting her jumps. There were other factors she had no control over.

"the coaches would say one thing and I would do the opposite. Deep inside me I knew it's wrong but I just couldn't help myself."

This is so typical of her age across all people.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

OE: How hurt were you reading Zagitova won the Olympics by chance? Though only people who understand nothing in the sports would say so.
AZ: I don't get these people. I used to get really upset, though now I care much less. In order to get mad before the LP I read some comments, where people wrote Zagitova won nothing this season, she can't put it together in Japan because she failed her last year's worlds. It turned me on. It probably helped me skating the LP better.
I am glad she learned to do this, use negativity from others to push yourself further. imo, it's one of the keys to success, and it works and motivates better than "cute praises".

Many ney-sayers accused Zagitova of "making an excuse" when she did not perform well at Nationals. Daniil explained that she had a burn, caused by grand-mother's negligence, and some accused her of lying. She never posted a foto of her foot, then or now. Now some fans found the foto and posted it. This is what she had to skate with at Russian Nationals.
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/s/user/vT4LuIM8IN050Mkx.jpg

VenusH.

Well, she skated like injured on RussNats. What bothers me that her team did not tell her "you know, reconsider gala with this leg and if you need to be there, do not jump". And very soon, she went doing PR QUADS (that horribly landed underrotated "quad flip" in harness for PR video... imagine how many times did she have to do it, to get that little PR footage...).

It seems Eteri may finally realized that endless runthroughs are not the key for everybody. A little break was the key for Alina.

I hope I will see her skating with joy next seasons (no doubt that we will see more "rushed warhorse with horribly music cuts" programs, if she stays with her team).

She is a sweet girl. And she sounds bit nerdy and very young, with all that Masaru talk...

Tinami Amori

She is a sweet girl. And she sounds bit nerdy and very young, with all that Masaru talk...
"Nerdy" at 16/17 sells better than "trashy and smart-mouth" for major international and russian advertisers/sponsors, especially if it is genuine/sincere.

At 16/17 they are after different qualities for a product's role-model, than expectations/allowances for an older athlete.

Even for older female athletes "racy and easy" at best gets you "football/hockey" fans, game cheer-leading gigs, and honorary membership at their sports clubs.. :lol:

Tinami Amori

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Tarasova has a Standard Poodle. Cool. Except the apricots have lots of health and personality issues. Not that my two blacks don't as they've had pretty much all the Standard Poodle issues and my male is a wee bit hyperactive. :lol:

At least Alina won't be putting dresses on her Akita. Mine would have bit me if I'd tried. Then she'd have destroyed the dress.

starrynight

It seems Eteri may finally realized that endless runthroughs are not the key for everybody. A little break was the key for Alina.

I really think that Eteri also believed herself the talk that the moment her skaters start to falter it is all done and over. Hence all the panic and stern faces and high emotions the moment a couple of difficult competitions happened. This is very different to experienced coaches who have seen more in their careers.

This is the first time Eteri has ever taken a senior skater through a rough patch. So maybe it will be a good lesson for the team on ways to handle things. That team has a lot of results, but there is significant inexperience in respect of managing senior skaters long term through troubles and injury.

Interested to see what this might mean long term for Sambo 70.

Spun Silver

Tarasova has a Standard Poodle. Cool. Except the apricots have lots of health and personality issues. Not that my two blacks don't as they've had pretty much all the Standard Poodle issues and my male is a wee bit hyperactive. :lol:

At least Alina won't be putting dresses on her Akita. Mine would have bit me if I'd tried. Then she'd have destroyed the dress.
Which Tarasova ?

Tinami Amori

I think Tarasova had her dog since he was a puppy, but i don't know the exact breed category.
https://www.vokrug.tv/pic/person/8/6/a/a/86aa5490bb01e2d95df1db348e67df31.jpeg

Alina has a dress for Masaru, she announced already, because Masaru will be also doing some media appearances, but the style and color is a secret.
"Поживем — увидим, но у нее уже есть платье. Какого цвета? Секрет"
https://sport24.ru/news/other/2019-...tye-zagitova---o-vykhode-sobaki-masaru-na-led

There was also a short coverage of Alina's visit with Masaru's twin sister in Japan, named "Kattyan".
http://sh.uploads.ru/Ndup4.jpg
https://www.cosmo.ru/stars/news/31-...a-v-yaponii-horoshenkuyu-sestru-svoey-sobaki/

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I didn't realize the Japanese breeding and American breeding of Akita are now considered separate. There is a difference in the shape of the head. Quite a large difference.

Japanfan

Even drinking the water doesn't help

Brings to mind Med's comment about being 'dry' for competitions. :(

And she sounds bit nerdy and very young, with all that Masaru talk...

If being smitten with a dog makes one a nerd, then a lot of adults are nerds. Though I don't agree with the word. I prefer the saying that 'if one has never loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened'. :)

Finsta

Sounds not nerdy, but a young girl that needs a friend and someone to love her, and her dog is that someone. She seems very alone. This so is her best friend. Many don’t know the athlete life is not like someone not focused on competition and winning

Japanfan

Sounds not nerdy, but a young girl that needs a friend and someone to love her, and her dog is that someone. She seems very alone. This so is her best friend. Many don’t know the athlete life is not like someone not focused on competition and winning

It seems to me that a lot of figure skaters have animals. Megan Duhamel has two dogs SFAIK, one that she adopted when in Korea for the Olympics.

Pets provide unconditional love without judgment and with few expectations. It's a source of joy and a balm to the soul, which would be of particular value to an athlete dealing with all the pressures of training and competition. And they are on the road a lot too. Coming home to a pet would make it all the more welcoming.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Inspired by your post, I googled and found there are Akita and American-Akita. Every day I learn something new on FSU. haha
I kept looking at Alina's dog and comparing it to mine and the difference in the shape of the face and set of the ears. Then I did some research. Akitas didn't appear in the US until after WWll, but in the 80 years since, there has been quite a bit of divergence in the two breeding stocks.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I kept looking at Alina's dog and comparing it to mine and the difference in the shape of the face and set of the ears. Then I did some research. Akitas didn't appear in the US until after WWll, but in the 80 years since, there has been quite a bit of divergence in the two breeding stocks.
I demand a photo of your dog! (or any dog :p)

Finsta

Animal companions are wonderful. I don’t know but Alina does not come across as one of the stronger lady competitors. Not like Tukt and Medvedeva. Never once heard either of those girls say they wanted to give up and both fought tremendous pressure from fans, federation. I hope this dog helps Alina. I feel for her being she’s so young.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Based on hearing their interviews/press conferences only (aka I never actually spoke to any of them, just sat in the press room when they spoke):
Lipnitskaya was by far the best - she is snarky, sassy and had a point of view. She is really well spoken - her Russian is 100% correct, she constructs sentences without any visible effort.
Medvedeva is the second best - she is smart and also really well spoken (unlike Lipnitskaya in English as well), she always has an answer, though she doesn't have Lipnitskaya's `you ask a stupid question I'll call you stupid in your face because duuuuh'.
Radionova always left me with a feeling I just listened to a 8y.e. speaking her mind.
The rest - Zagitova, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Kostornaya (I don't remember hearing Scherbakova or Trusova) and who not - have a vocabulary of a 5 y.o, all their phrases are exactly the same - `I want to thank my coach, I want to thank my fans, it's a hard work and I do my job'. Pogorilaya stands aside with probably the worst vocabulary, most of her answers begin with `it's like you know' and hardly get any further.
So basically kudos to Ermolina for getting out of Zagitova anything that is beyond `I skated really well, I want to thank my fans'

starrynight

I always found most of the press conferences post events to not be very interesting. I think maybe the process of each comment being translated back and forth between languages saps the energy from the process. Maybe also the very staged environment makes it difficult for most skaters to relax. Most of the skaters are also distracted. And maybe they don't want to say too much as their direct rivals are sitting right next to them and no one wants to offend. I also imagine being required to go through drug testing beforehand doesn't help much either.

zoe111

Based on hearing their interviews/press conferences only (aka I never actually spoke to any of them, just sat in the press room when they spoke):
Lipnitskaya was by far the best - she is snarky, sassy and had a point of view. She is really well spoken - her Russian is 100% correct, she constructs sentences without any visible effort.
Medvedeva is the second best - she is smart and also really well spoken (unlike Lipnitskaya in English as well), she always has an answer, though she doesn't have Lipnitskaya's `you ask a stupid question I'll call you stupid in your face because duuuuh'.
Radionova always left me with a feeling I just listened to a 8y.e. speaking her mind.
The rest - Zagitova, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Kostornaya (I don't remember hearing Scherbakova or Trusova) and who not - have a vocabulary of a 5 y.o, all their phrases are exactly the same - `I want to thank my coach, I want to thank my fans, it's a hard work and I do my job'. Pogorilaya stands aside with probably the worst vocabulary, most of her answers begin with `it's like you know' and hardly get any further.
So basically kudos to Ermolina for getting out of Zagitova anything that is beyond `I skated really well, I want to thank my fans'
This is really funny

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information