Ermolina's interview with Medvedeva `The easiest way is not necessarily the right'

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Olga Ermolina's interview with Evgenia Medvedeva `The easiest way is not necessarily the right' for fsrussia.ru
(click the link for some :swoon: photos)

OE: Evgenia, it's the usual for you such a tense schedule: the new programmes, the school exams, a brief vacation, the training camp, show, the prom, another show and then back to work?
EM: All you named is part of my life. It's my choice. And there is always a choice. There is always an easier way. But the easier way is not necessarily the right. Figure skating, just like any other sport, is demanding. If you are lucky your profession is also your hobby. Then the practices are a joy. That's the way it is for me.

OE: Can you tell about your new programmes?
EM: For the SP we took the Nocturne №20 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. Posth by Chopin played by Joshua Bell. The LP - George Winston – January Stars, Max Richter – Departure (Lulbaby) and Dona Nobis Pacem 2. We started working on the programmes at the beginning of June. They were choreographed by Daniil Gleihengause, Ilya Averbukh together with the coach Eteri Tutberidze.
I will skate my new programmes in the test skates in Sochi. As for the new exhibition - it's to the music from the movie `Anna Karenina' and I'll skate it in the show in Yokohama. It's not the final version though. We'll be working and improving the exhibition through the season.

OE: Will there be any technical changes?
EM: I'll keep the elements I had in the SP. The LP we tried to make harder - moved the first 3/3 combo to the 2nd part of the programme. Now I only have one jump in the first part.

OE: Many skaters participate the shows during the summer. Is it fun or a way to earn money or something else?
EM: It depends on how you take it. For me the show at the beginning of the season is a way to connect to the audience, recall the feeling of being alone on the ice with so many eyes on you. I don't know how is it for the others, but every time I go on the ice, whether it's a show or a competition there is always adrenaline, the nerves and a certain mood.
In a way a show resembles a competition. And, of course, I have to fulfill my obligations. Usually the participation in a show is decided in advance.

OE: Was there anything special in the last show?
EM: The most interesting is meeting the people, the athletes who you haven't met before and who inspired you through your sports career.

OE: Like whom?
EM: There are many. For example I was interested to see Johnny Weird, to see how does he feel the ice, how does he skate. I didn't get to see him competing, never saw his skating live. We met in Japan and I had a chance to watch him practicing. I was very surprised Johnny speaks Russian with no accent.

OE: How about your foreign languages?
EM: I really want to learn Japanese, improve my English and read a lot of books. While at school I didn't have time, hence I have a list of what I should read.

OE: During the vacation you went to Japan and China. Japan again?
EM: Yes. I love this country. I've been there many times, but it was during the competitions when I was fully focused on my job. I wanted to learn more of the history, culture, to see the authentic Japan - Osaka, Kyoto, to visit Tokyo.
We spent 2 days in Tokyo. We got lost and had to use the GPS to find the hotel. We walked for 8km. It was so great! I saw the imperial palace, the shrines, walked the narrow streets of Kyoto, enjoyed the Japanese nature, tried out the national costumes, and, of course, the Japanese food. I wanted to try everything!

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Thank you as always for the translation TAHbKA! She is an interesting young lady. Listening to her music choices, I can see the free program selections blending well together; I fear that the program may seem very much the same style as this year's, but perhaps the Olympic season is not the time to take chances and stretch outside of the box. The two selections by Richter are indeed lovely.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I like her maturity on and off the ice.

I have no problem with her jump layout in the SP but I am disappointed that she is going to do only one jump in the first half of the LP and moving the first 3-3 to the second half. It is going to make the program very unbalanced and the risk much greater. She should have stuck with what worked for her in the past. This is the Olympic season. Eteri is out of her mind, or too greedy. Zhenya doesn't need extra risk like this, and the judges are going to hate the program.

alexikeguchi

I am disappointed that she is going to do only one jump in the first half of the LP and moving the first 3-3 to the second half. It is going to make the program very unbalanced and the risk much greater.

She'll be fine, don't worry. The judges don't seem to care about balance of elements throughout the program any more, and her fitness has never been an issue. She'll continue to stand up everything and rack up major bonus.

I agree with Kasey that it would have been nice to see her mix it up a little bit with her music selections. She obviously enjoys a variety of music and dance styles off the ice and seems to have a much more upbeat personality than her competitive programs have shown. I would love to see her have some fun and blow the roof off the Olympic arena with a really exciting, energetic performance.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I agree with Kasey that it would have been nice to see her mix it up a little bit with her music selections. She obviously enjoys a variety of music and dance styles off the ice and seems to have a much more upbeat personality than her competitive programs have shown. I would love to see her have some fun and blow the roof off the Olympic arena with a really exciting, energetic performance.

She can blow the roof off by skating a great exhibition. I really think she needs to be in her comfort zone for the competition. I am not familiar with her LP music, so I can't comment on that. I would rather she not experiment with 'fun programs', for example, for these Olympics. I still remember what happened to Michelle Kwan when she dropped Lori and Frank before the 2002 Olympics. Though I don't see Zhenya firing Eteri, I want her to stay in her comfort zone this season.

I am wondering if Eteri sees Zagitova as a threat to Medvedeva? Is that why she is going for those extra points by moving the first 3-3 to the second half of the LP?

LKR

I like her maturity on and off the ice.

I have no problem with her jump layout in the SP but I am disappointed that she is going to do only one jump in the first half of the LP and moving the first 3-3 to the second half. It is going to make the program very unbalanced and the risk much greater. She should have stuck with what worked for her in the past. This is the Olympic season. Eteri is out of her mind, or too greedy. Zhenya doesn't need extra risk like this, and the judges are going to hate the program.

I don't like it, and don't think she needs it, but if that's the only change it shouldn't be a big deal. If the judges hate the 1-6 jump layout she will put the 3/3 back in the first half. If she's not solid with the 3/3 in the second half she can also put it back in the first half. She'll have Japan Open, two Grand Prixs, GPF, Nationals, and Euros, before the Games: it's not like the programs will be debuted in Pyeongchang. And we've already seen her compete an unplanned 3F-3T in the second half at the GPF, so I'm really not seeing the concern.

Eteri has commented that Zagitova will be fighting for #2 in Russia; she mentioned nothing about her challenging Evgenia.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
In practices, Medvedeva adds 3/3s, and even 3/3/3s after every jump during program run-throughs. She trains for contingencies, so moving the 3f/3t to the second half should be no problem. If it is, she'll just add the 3toe to another jump like it's nothing. She has the ability to complete a 3toe on the end of any jump, so I don't really see where the concern is coming from.

MAXSwagg

Do we really think Eteri and Med care about substantive program composition? Lol FYI: they don't.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In practices, Medvedeva adds 3/3s, and even 3/3/3s after every jump during program run-throughs. She trains for contingencies, so moving the 3f/3t to the second half should be no problem. If it is, she'll just add the 3toe to another jump like it's nothing. She has the ability to complete a 3toe on the end of any jump, so I don't really see where the concern is coming from.

It's the Olympics. The pressure is intense, much more than the world championships.

MAXSwagg

Pressure doens't matter. With the way judges are scoring her, she has a 3-fall buffer before she even gets close to the next skater.

Bellanca

Pressure doens't matter. With the way judges are scoring her, she has a 3-fall buffer before she even gets close to the next skater.
A 3-fall buffer?! Holy cow! Everyone else should just stay at the Olympic village and exchange pins if this were the case, but I see where you are coming from! :lol: I figure Med has a 1-fall buffer @ the Olympics.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.

Bingo. This is also the key to Janny's consistency. If you train a 3/3 on every jumping pass, you can bounce back from a mistake like it's nothing. I used to harp on Eteri for this but it's exactly the reason why Evgenia never misses. She's three times as well-trained as any of her competitors.

I really like her. :) she's got a great personality and developing a great character.

Any (and all) of my issues with her skating belong with Averbukh's miming/music editing with George Bush voiceovers at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information