Drobiazko & Vanagas: Dancing Through The Decades

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Wow I never knew that they trained with the coach who transformed Angela .... Elena Tcherkavskaya

Do you guys remember this part from The 02 Worlds...

In their fourth Olympic appearance in Salt Lake City in 2002, Drobiazko and Vanagas finished fifth. They retired following the World Championships after a controversial fourth-place finish behind the Israeli team of Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovksi. The result caused an outrage, with fans, coaches and even some judges voicing their anger at the result.

AngieNikodinovLove

But then they went on to the 06 Torino Olympics were they became an official participating member of team splat fest.

Man so many teams hit the ice that year.

Remember Marie-France going to the hospital?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
But then they went on to the 06 Torino Olympics were they became an official participating member of team splat fest.

Man so many teams hit the ice that year.

Remember Marie-France going to the hospital?

I had not remembered that until our recent watch party. Man, that was a nasty fall. :scream:

AngieNikodinovLove

Vanagas about Torino: “and it didn’t help that there was no Lithuanian judge on the panel. In practice, nobody was watching us. We felt disadvantaged from the start. It was a new system, but the same old politics.”

I always love to watch skaters in any discipline from smaller countries but it is true that they don’t get support from the federations. Even to this day I still feel!

3T3T

I really enjoyed that interview, they come across as two likeable people. It’s great that they are skating 30 years after they became a team and still so in demand. It’s funny with them having a big rivalry with Averbukh that they are a big part of his shows. I like to see them involved in coaching.

I love their FD from 2000 to Spente Le Stelle and their Phantom from Euros in Lyon where the French audience made their displeasure with the result known to everyone.

I was surprised to see he only moved to Ice Dance at 18, is that not a bit late?

mjb52

I think you missed an important part of the quote: "However, the duo’s medal hopes were dashed with a disappointing seventh- place finish at their fifth and final Olympic appearance. “It was a terrible competition for us,” said Vanagas. “We didn’t skate our best, and it didn’t help that there was no Lithuanian judge on the panel. In practice, nobody was watching us. We felt disadvantaged from the start. It was a new system, but the same old politics.”

So what, they didn't skate well, but they wish there had been a Lithuanian judge to push them anyway? This is the team that claims to care about fair judging?

AngieNikodinovLove

I think you missed an important part of the quote: "However, the duo’s medal hopes were dashed with a disappointing seventh- place finish at their fifth and final Olympic appearance. “It was a terrible competition for us,” said Vanagas. “We didn’t skate our best, and it didn’t help that there was no Lithuanian judge on the panel. In practice, nobody was watching us. We felt disadvantaged from the start. It was a new system, but the same old politics.”

So what, they didn't skate well, but they wish there had been a Lithuanian judge to push them anyway? This is the team that claims to care about fair judging?

That’s one of their points that they’ve made throughout their long career and that other skaters have made for them as well is that coming from the Federation with no support.

Sometimes I think of Donovan Carrillo from Mexico and if he was to get really good I wonder what kind of a judging he’ll get since Mexico is a non-factor in ISU figure skating.

They say that this has been corrected with the new judging system but I still don’t see it completely.

The point they are making is that the Americans, Canadians, French, Russian, Italians all have support behind them in just about every competition 100% of the time. when you come from a tiny country there’s not much support no matter how great you skate, and especially 20 years ago.

I also remember Polish Pairs team of Zagorska and Siudek and all the times I thought they deserved more medals on the Grand Prix or should’ve been placed higher but you never know, they are a team from Poland with not much support behind them. When are we ever seen a Polish team since them?

Japanfan

I don't know that they have claimed that. But we all know that politics plays a role in figure skating judging - especially in ice dance.

I loved D/V. I saw them live at Vancouver Worlds 2001, where they did not medal. There was no movement in all three stages of the ice dance competition and I was among those who walked out rather than stay for the medal ceremony.

Eislauffan

He wasn't saying that he wanted a judge to push them anyway. He admitted that they did not skate their best and said it didn't help them that there was no LTU judge. Which is true. It was just another factor. Even if they had skated well, they would not have had much better chances as they didn't have a judge.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Wow I never knew that they trained with the coach who transformed Angela .... Elena Tcherkavskaya

D/V actually trained with Elena Tchaikovskaya, who coached Butyrskaya and Soldatova during the same time period.
Elena Tcherkasskaia was Nikodinov's coach.

Very similar names, but different people. :)

AngieNikodinovLove

D/V actually trained with Elena Tchaikovskaya, who coached Butyrskaya and Soldatova during the same time period.
Elena Tcherkasskaia was Nikodinov's coach.

Very similar names, but different people. :)

Damn, you know I think that was explained to me like 10 years ago but you know me when I start to day drink…

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information