Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Debbie S

Mine are there, but the "ticket" just has date/time and seat number - I assume actual tickets (with bar code) that you can print will be posted there at some point before the event, and we'll get an email/instructions? Or is this it? I know the order said mobile delivery, but I assumed it was like the past couple years where we printed them out from the website. Or maybe not....:confused:

toddlj

Mine are there, but the "ticket" just has date/time and seat number - I assume actual tickets (with bar code) that you can print will be posted there at some point before the event, and we'll get an email/instructions? Or is this it? I know the order said mobile delivery, but I assumed it was like the past couple years where we printed them out from the website. Or maybe not....:confused:
I was able to "view tickets with barcode" and "save to phone" when I opened the website there. It doesn't seem possible on my laptop.

Debbie S

I was able to "view tickets with barcode" and "save to phone" when I opened the website there. It doesn't seem possible on my laptop.
@Debbie S mine just have time and date too (plus barcode and seats).
Thanks! When I logged in on my phone, I was able to save the tix to Google Pay (i have an Android).

But what happens if someone doesn't have a smartphone? Mobile was the only option when i ordered. It's convenient for those who have and understand the technology, but not everyone does.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Debbie S I think that within the next year, online will be for mobile tix only. If you don’t have a smart phone, you’ll have to call Ticketmiser or the equivalent. The exception might be events that skew older like opera tix.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Kind of rough if you lose your phone at the wrong time!

Or if you just don't have one, like ex-Mr. coco

toddlj

Kind of rough if you lose your phone at the wrong time!

Or if you just don't have one, like ex-Mr. coco
Yeah, maybe I'm old-school, but I like paper tickets. I would have to think the box office would have record of all subscribers and would be able to print a ticket in case of an emergency like losing your phone?

Debbie S

I'm wondering how it will work for all-event ticketholders and practices. When we've had paper tickets, we've usually gotten a ticket (or some identifier on the event tickets) for practices. Unless I missed it, there is no practice ticket. I'm hoping that if the arena insists on scanning all tickets at first entry of the day, that they will provide wristbands to let us come and go, since that is one of the benefits of all-event tickets.

Debbie S

Just got an email about our tix...it says we will get a practice pass for the main arena each day, but as of now, I don't see them in my 313/whatever account. The email also says that practices in the secondary rink at Little Caesar's are closed to the public. Grrr. :(

Sk8fun

I received real tickets in the mail today! There is one ticket that is both for General Admission for the Detroit Skate Club events and practice pass. I thought I'd have to access the 313 thing on my phone but am happy to report there are real tickets.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Got email saying my hard tix should arrive by December 15...leading me to have to frantically extend my mail redirection service which was supposed to end on December 14 because I moved house since ordering the tickets. Yay, well done, past!misskarne. *facepalm*

acraven

I had no practice pass in my online account, so I called the telephone number provided in the email received yesterday (313-471-7000). I was forwarded to the box office, where an agent said she could see the passes along with the regular tickets; I still could not. She emailed the practices passes to me (one per all-event ticket). They were in a .pdf I could print out.

Debbie S

I had no practice pass in my online account, so I called the telephone number provided in the email received yesterday (313-471-7000). I was forwarded to the box office, where an agent said she could see the passes along with the regular tickets; I still could not. She emailed the practices passes to me (one per all-event ticket). They were in a .pdf I could print out.
Sounds like you had a better person than I got. I spoke to someone today who could see the practice passes and told me that I needed to download some "District Detroit" app, go to the tickets page, and that would sync with my phone. I did that after the call and still don't see them. I sent a message on FB b/c I didn't see the point in talking to the same person.

And it took several attempts to get my account up...she couldn't find my account number or confirmation number...turned out the account number had an extra number which didn't appear on my order printout. She also couldn't find my name but did find me via my email address. And of course she knew nothing about the event and I had to explain what "practice ticket" meant.

And when I suggested this was not a user-friendly system, she got snippy and defensive.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
With the problems we had last year with the digital tickets I am happy to report we received our bundle of physical tickets yesterday. I'm all in favor of saving trees, bar codes and digital tickets but when you go to the venue and they say you have to print them out to be valid I almost blew my top at the secondary arena.

acraven

Having observed lots of tech-savvy younger folks frantically paging through their cell phones, looking for electronic bus and train tickets, I have carefully avoided choosing that option when purchasing any sort of ticket. I don't want to have to worry about a suddenly-dead phone or an evaporating ticket--especially for something as time-sensitive as getting into a skating event. Unfortunately, they pulled a switch on us, and I am stuck with e-tickets for Detroit. Welcome to the 21st century, I guess.

I did not appreciate having to type my two seatmates' names and email addresses for every single ticket I transferred (15 x 2). I think the last time we needed to do an electronic transfer, you typed the information about the transferee one time, then could click on it for each subsequent ticket. The whole concept doesn't work well for events with so many separate sessions/tickets.

I've checked on my phone and on my desktop computer, and there are still no practice passes showing up. I'd suggest everyone awaiting them begin following up.

I didn't have Google Pay loaded on my cellphone (a 2015 purchase), so that's another step some folks may need to take. Then you have to transfer each session ticket separately. I will be carrying lots of paper documentation, in case something goes wrong, and I will certainly not be paying any $20 ticket-reprint fee.

Carolla5501

I realize that this will not be popular, but the day is coming, when you will have to have an electronic a ticket. There is a national championship Game tonight in my town that expects 72,000 people and they are only accepting electronic tickets. End of discussion

Whether we like it or not skating will be moving into that arena in the next few years

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Let's just all get microchipped!

I chose print-at-home, but also received a big pack of physical paper tickets yesterday. I'm planning to sell at least one all-event ticket so I hope having the paper tickets will not prevent that resale.

Debbie S

I don't object to electronic tickets, as long as the system works properly (i.e. we get the tickets we're supposed to get and they are accepted at the venue they are supposed to be accepted at) and we get proper instruction on access and use. The email we got from the arena said to go to the website to "manage our tickets". Would it have been that much trouble to include "You must access the site via your mobile device and follow the prompts to save to your device"? If I wasn't on FSU, I'd be lost (which applies to most other aspects of skating fandom, lol).

And as I posted above, when i had to call about my practice tickets, i had to deal with a clueless rep who then gave me a 'solution' that didn't work...and i don't blame the rep for that, she was following a script, but it sounds like acraven got a much more helpful and knowledgeable rep.
I hope someone helpful responds to my FB message and can help me directly.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
We got our paper tickets in the mail today (I selected the other option for either print at home or mailed...I can't remember how it was worded all these months later) and it looks like we got all of them. I specifically looked for the practice pass after reading some your posts in this thread and I noticed that our practice pass for the main arena and the general admisision/practice pass for the Detroit Skating Club are the same ticket. I suggest everyone check the wording on your tickets so you can be sure that you got them all. I almost had a panic attack that we were missing ours too but it was there! :cheer:

Debbie S

No response to my FB message (insert McKayla Maroney expression here) so I just called the group sales number on the "skating clubs" tab of the tickets page on the Nats website. The woman I spoke to is mailing me hard copies of the tickets and practice passes, yay. (So now I have to hope they don't get lost in the mail like my 2015 Nats tix did.)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I emailed the Friends of Figure Skating director about the secondary practice rink issue, asking if he could speak with the USFS events crew about changing the policy. I looked up the rink, and it has 300 seats. It hosts youth hockey league games, so it's more than suitable for spectators. If anyone else would like to email USFS, it might help if we can get more voices out there. Most of the practices between Thursday and Sunday are at the secondary rink, so they're cutting out a big part of our all-event ticket benefit by doing this.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I emailed the Friends of Figure Skating director about the secondary practice rink issue, asking if he could speak with the USFS events crew about changing the policy. I looked up the rink, and it has 300 seats. It hosts youth hockey league games, so it's more than suitable for spectators. If anyone else would like to email USFS, it might help if we can get more voices out there. Most of the practices between Thursday and Sunday are at the secondary rink, so they're cutting out a big part of our all-event ticket benefit by doing this.
What email should we use?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Brent at FOFS replied and said 300 seats aren't enough because they've sold 600 all event tickets. I find this logic faulty because 100% of ticket holders are never at practice all at the same time. I need some facts to back up my rebuttal - does anyone know how many seats there are at the Skating Club of Boston and the practice rink that was used last year at Solar4America Ice in SJ? Those rinks looked small to me and perhaps hold less than 300?

acraven

Thanks for attacking this, TanithandBenFan. Unfortunately, I don't have the facts you need.

I'd think 300 seats would take care of most, if not all, the people who want to watch practices. They could make it first come-first served if they had to. That would be better than nothing.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Brent at FOFS replied and said 300 seats aren't enough because they've sold 600 all event tickets. I find this logic faulty because 100% of ticket holders are never at practice all at the same time. I need some facts to back up my rebuttal - does anyone know how many seats there are at the Skating Club of Boston and the practice rink that was used last year at Solar4America Ice in SJ? Those rinks looked small to me and perhaps hold less than 300?
SCOB has next to zero parking, minimal bleacher seating, and one public ladies restroom. When the top ladies were on the ice in 2014, I’d say that the bleachers were half full. The line for the restroom had more people than the stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information