Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I checked the SuperShuttle website for info on pricing in Detroit :eek::eek:. I've used SuperShuttle about 6 or 7 times in different cities and Detroit is by far the most expensive...I was shocked.

To go from the Detroit Metro Airport to a downtown hotel is $125 round trip in a car and $250 round trip in an SUV for 1 person. There may be lower pricing if you are traveling with someone and wish to share the car or SUV. It does not appear that they have a shared van (which I've used everywhere else) available.

The quote for Lyft from the airport to downtown is only $25-$35.

Debbie S

I just got $30 from Uber. The instructions for riders say to follow the Rideshares sign to the Ground Transportation Center....do any locals know if this is the same as the cab pickup area (I remember in 2013 having to go downstairs and then upstairs on a different escalator to get to) or is it outside the baggage claim area?

TanithandBenFan

I know Lyft and Uber would be less, but some fans don't have smartphones or maybe smartphones without data plans so I decided to check SuperShuttle. I agree that in this case Lyft or Uber would be a bettter choice if the fan has the necessary smartphone.

A regular taxi might be cheaper than the quoted SuperShuttle rates too.

Carolla5501

I honestly think shared shuttle services like that Supershuttle are going away. Most people would prefer to take a rideshare like Lyft than spend an hour touring numerous hotels, or waiting for someone who’s late. My last time on one of those was my last time.we sat at a hotel for half an hour waiting on someone who couldn’t get there act together and was running late. Which of course made everyone else late.

azcalder

Many people who attend Nationals are older. They probably feel more comfortable with a Super Shuttle and several people rather than in a private vehicle by themselves. It's also easier to call an 800 # and get a reservation ahead of time as opposed to waiting to arrive at the airport and make the arrangements on the internet. I remember by first experience. I was terrified.

Carolla5501

Many people who attend Nationals are older. They probably feel more comfortable with a Super Shuttle and several people rather than in a private vehicle by themselves. It's also easier to call an 800 # and get a reservation ahead of time as opposed to waiting to arrive at the airport and make the arrangements on the internet. I remember by first experience. I was terrified.

I understand. But I don’t think the overall industry is economically doing well. I recall reading that this industry model was marginal years ago. Now you have a lot of cheaper competition so....the model may not work anymore.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Anyone needing Uniqlo should shop this weekend. Many of the basic pieces are marked down to $14.90 US.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Ugh, you guys, I can only find red eye flights out of Los Angeles! It sucks! Haha. I will be a zombie as I plan on doing a volunteer shift the morning I get in...yuck.

TanithandBenFan

Ugh, you guys, I can only find red eye flights out of Los Angeles! It sucks! Haha. I will be a zombie as I plan on doing a volunteer shift the morning I get in...yuck.

My friend is flying from LAX on Delta and her flight leaves in the afternoon and gets into Detroit after 8pm. This is on Wed the 23rd.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
My friend is flying from LAX on Delta and her flight leaves in the afternoon and gets into Detroit after 8pm. This is on Wed the 23rd.

I'm looking at package deals that include the hotel as I want to try to get a room at the Westin as it's the official hotel, but it adds an extra $500-600 to have a flight that doesn't leave at night on the 23rd! I will keep looking or maybe book separately.

jkl

I'm looking at package deals that include the hotel as I want to try to get a room at the Westin as it's the official hotel, but it adds an extra $500-600 to have a flight that doesn't leave at night on the 23rd! I will keep looking or maybe book separately.
I was told the Westin is the official hotel for officials. I believe the skaters are at the Crown Plaza.

Sk8fun

Has anyone received their all event tickets yet, or do you know when they are expected to come? I can't find my receipt which isn't like me so I dug around online and found them but it won't let me print the tickets. I'm assuming they will be coming by mail. Any info is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to Nationals in my home area!

Debbie S

Has anyone received their all event tickets yet, or do you know when they are expected to come? I can't find my receipt which isn't like me so I dug around online and found them but it won't let me print the tickets. I'm assuming they will be coming by mail. Any info is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to Nationals in my home area!
When I ordered mine, the only option was mobile delivery, which I assume means we'll get an email with a link to print them out. That's what happened the past 2 years, which used the same ordering site/mechanism as this year. I think we got the email in mid-Dec.

insideedgeua

Sylvia, I’m hoping that you will see this ( as you see everything).

I’m wondering if there is a list somewhere please of who has qualified for Nationals and who had a bye? I know you’re amazing with data so if you could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

Sylvia

TBD
I’m wondering if there is a list somewhere please of who has qualified for Nationals and who had a bye? I know you’re amazing with data so if you could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.
I've compiled a list of singles qualifiers, Senior down to Juvenile, but I'm still waiting to see the full list of Senior Pairs/Dance as well as the Junior/Novice/Intermediate level dance/pair teams that may have elected not to compete at Sectionals (scroll down for the Senior/Junior international byes): https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

ETA: Thanks, @Aceon6, but not quite "all" yet. ;)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Everything is booked! I am staying at the Crowne Plaza Riverfront. Flying in Wednesday evening and leaving Friday night.

Does anyone want to do anything? That Sunday's my birthday so I was thinking it would be fun if we could get together as a group and do an early dinner maybe before the exhibition or something. :)

livetoskate

I'm flying in Fri. afternoon, around 3pm, and have a flight leaving Sun. night. Anyone going to the friends of figure skating breakfast?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Problem that's just come up:

Those who bought Championship weekend tickets, did you receive a confirmation email? If so, who from? I've more or less just discovered that I have no email with my tickets (or at least not one I can find). It doesn't show up in my ticketmaster account.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think my tickets are from some group called 313 production or something. I'll double check.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Problem that's just come up:

Those who bought Championship weekend tickets, did you receive a confirmation email? If so, who from? I've more or less just discovered that I have no email with my tickets (or at least not one I can find). It doesn't show up in my ticketmaster account.

I have nothing except for a confirmation # that I got verbally because I had trouble ordering. I think my mother got an email confirmation for hers. It’s not in my ticketmaster account either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information