David Wilson Calls for New Leadership at Skate Canada

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
You generalized a whole nation to be one that acts with caution and follows whatever the government says. How you can write these words now after you experienced a big boom in cases when everyone was supposedly staying home and behaving is beyond me. And to top that off, Canadians got many more benefits and incentives to actually stay home than most countries. Come to Florida and experience what it's like to be living in a place where the Governor stopped the unemployment money and reopened everything: your choice is go work or don't pay your bills and end up struggling even more. Then shall we talk?

You and your friends all choose to lock yourselves up at home and follow all the rules? Congratulations. But people all over the world got bored, whether you like it or not, and they became more risk-prone in their actions. Canadians are included in that. Sorry about it.
Again you find it necessary to personalize, why? I don‘t discuss me or my friends? For what its worth I am an essential worker so Im not locked up at home? I also dont talk about you in Florida. I merely explained WHY the leadership in Canada might have chosen not to hold Canadians because of everything being closed and because of listening to public health. Sorry your life is so crap in Florida FWIW.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Again you find it necessary to personalize, why? I don‘t discuss me or my friends? For what its worth I am an essential worker so Im not locked up at home? I also dont talk about you in Florida. I merely explained WHY the leadership in Canada might have chosen not to hold Canadians because of everything being closed and because of listening to public health. Sorry your life is so crap in Florida FWIW.
You said something, I quoted it. You said it, yes it becomes a personal reply to you. That's how it works. You also didn't explain 'why' they 'might have' done something. You compared your country to the US and tried to generalize the entire country as the absolute of why things happened. Read your own words.

FWIW, my life isn't crap at all, I saved my money and now I can afford to live by just going back to school, and I live on a beach. I'm doing just fine. So thanks for your lovely concern. However, I am still tired of some Canadians on this board first boasting about how their numbers were next to non-existent because they all perfectly follow the rules (yes, this happened and then they all stopped real quick... funny) and now I'm reading the comparisons again about how Canada to the US. Your country paid everyone to stay home essentially and you still had numbers skyrocket! You aren't New Zealand.

Judy

You said something, I quoted it. You said it, yes it becomes a personal reply to you. That's how it works. You also didn't explain 'why' they 'might have' done something. You compared your country to the US and tried to generalize the entire country as the absolute of why things happened. Read your own words.

FWIW, my life isn't crap at all, I saved my money and now I can afford to live by just going back to school, and I live on a beach. I'm doing just fine. So thanks for your lovely concern. However, I am still tired of some Canadians on this board first boasting about how their numbers were next to non-existent because they all perfectly follow the rules (yes, this happened and then they all stopped real quick... funny) and now I'm reading the comparisons again about how Canada to the US. Your country paid everyone to stay home essentially and you still had numbers skyrocket! You aren't New Zealand.
Tony stop attacking people. Canada did NOT pay everyone to stay home. You needed to meet qualifications. A ton of people are working at their jobs either in person or from home. Basically if you lost your job from covid you can get a certain amount. You sound like an idiot.

tony

Tony stop attacking people. Canada did NOT pay everyone to stay home. You needed to meet qualifications. A ton of people are working at their jobs either in person or from home. Basically if you lost your job from ********* you can get a certain amount. You sound like an idiot.
Your country did a lot more as a whole than most countries did. And as someone constantly posting about Trump and American politics, surely I don't need to tell you that.

Here it is so you can read it again:
There is a reason why the U.S. has nearly twice as many confirmed *********-19 deaths per capita as Canada. Canada's mentality as a nation is one based on caution and listening and believing our health care leaders & politicians in addition to our health care system. Skate Canada is merely a reflection of that mentality.

It generalized Canada as people who all follow the rules. It stated that there's a reason why America has so many more cases than Canada. Not a simple opinion about why Nationals didn't happen. I said it was false. If you take it personally that I reply to such outlandish comments, I'm sorry?
:lol:

The point here is that Canadians had a lot more incentives given out, the money given was better, the numbers were low, and then they went way up. Now you're going to try to come here and maybe tell me that's because everyone had to go back to work? Guess what, in some places in the US it's been reality almost this entire time. But that won't stop people for continuing to generalize the US population, or better yet, the care-free Russians.

Here's a number for you:
Russian population: 145,000,000. Cases: 4,110,000
Canadian population: 37,590,000. Cases: 846,000
You can do that math.

anonymoose_au

Well it's not Canada's or Australia's or New Zealand's fault that our Governments were more proactive than the US's in providing support and mandating lockdowns.

The US is utter beep-show with over 500,000 deaths from Rona.

Also did it ever occur to you that perhaps Canada's situation would be worse if they'd behaved as if it was business as usual?

Every so often some dumbass in Australia will moan about how "We shut down and the apocalypse never happened." Without realising that shutting down was precisely WHY there was no apocalypse.
Here's a number for you:
You can do that math.
Since when have Russian numbers even been considered as close to accurate? You must trust Putin a lot!

Judy

Your country did a lot more as a whole than most countries did. And as someone constantly posting about Trump and American politics, surely I don't need to tell you that.

Here it is so you can read it again:

It generalized Canada as people who all follow the rules. It stated that there's a reason why America has so many more cases than Canada. Not a simple opinion about why Nationals didn't happen. I said it was false. If you take it personally that I reply to such outlandish comments, I'm sorry?
:lol:

The point here is that Canadians had a lot more incentives given out, the money given was better, the numbers were low, and then they went way up. Now you're going to try to come here and maybe tell me that's because everyone had to go back to work? Guess what, in some places in the US it's been reality almost this entire time. But that won't stop people for continuing to generalize the US population, or better yet, the care-free Russians.

Here's a number for you:
You can do that math.
You seriously trust Russia to tell the truth? Seriously?

I can turn around and say your country always markets itself as the best country in the world. Guess what? It’s not and it hasn’t been in a very long time.

It’s good that you are going back to school. You definitely require some education and to grow up.

tony

I can turn around and say your country always markets itself as the best country in the world. Guess what? It’s not and it hasn’t been in a very long time.

It’s good that you are going back to school. You definitely require some education and to grow up.
So now there's always a caveat of true and untrue reporting. K. What if I said the US over-reported numbers? What if I said Canada maybe wasn't reporting all of their numbers? Surely I'll have the mob tell me that Canada always does everything right.

I don't think anyone in the US with half of a brain says it's the best country in the world, nor do I go out boasting about how America is great about anything. Yet the second I call out the Canadians for their 'well we do everything better! We clearly care and the US doesn't!' behavior that is always creeping in on this board, the defenses come up full-force. Read the quote I shared again. When I said that simply is not a fact, here comes the brigade. Do many Canadians care about CV? Probably. Do many Americans care about CV? Yes. But said poster made it a direct comparison. Not me. I'm not the one saying my country is based around who cares and who doesn't.

Keep on with your defenses and your attempts at digs, though ;)

Last edited:

Japanfan

Well, when I see the numbers coming out of the US, I am often grateful to be in the west corner of Canada. That's not to say that the numbers here are not also concerning, or that all Canadians are compliant - there was an anti-mask protest in my city in the last few days.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well it's not Canada's or Australia's or New Zealand's fault that our Governments were more proactive than the US's in providing support and mandating lockdowns.

The US is utter beep-show with over 500,000 deaths from Rona.

Also did it ever occur to you that perhaps Canada's situation would be worse if they'd behaved as if it was business as usual?

Every so often some dumbass in Australia will moan about how "We shut down and the apocalypse never happened." Without realising that shutting down was precisely WHY there was no apocalypse.

Since when have Russian numbers even been considered as close to accurate? You must trust Putin a lot!
The US' death numbers are suspect - there are plenty of documented reports of "crud deaths" not actually being due to the crud (car accident victim who had the crud earlier, cancer death but had the crud sometime, etc), not to mention the way Cuomo played with the nursing home death figures in NYS, to make me legitimately question what the crud death numbers are here. It's all been far too highly politicized to be accurate, at least not at this time. Give it 5-10 years for statisticians to go back over the death certificates and verify the numbers and then we'll talk.

Australia is irrelevant. No offense but your nation's geography, same with New Zealand and any other island nation for that matter, make it very easy to shut down immigration and travel to the point that you can, mostly, eradicate the crud.

Look, I'm going to say it... Bringing Putin or Russia's numbers into any conversation is as much of a joke as bringing China's numbers into the discussion. It's fair to say that those countries have seriously under-reported their numbers with regard to the crud.

As far as which country markets itself as the "best in the world" - every country has its flaws, but your Canadian inferiority complex is coming through strong there.

Judy

The US' death numbers are suspect - there are plenty of documented reports of "crud deaths" not actually being due to the crud (car accident victim who had the crud earlier, cancer death but had the crud sometime, etc), not to mention the way Cuomo played with the nursing home death figures in NYS, to make me legitimately question what the crud death numbers are here. It's all been far too highly politicized to be accurate, at least not at this time. Give it 5-10 years for statisticians to go back over the death certificates and verify the numbers and then we'll talk.

Australia is irrelevant. No offense but your nation's geography, same with New Zealand and any other island nation for that matter, make it very easy to shut down immigration and travel to the point that you can, mostly, eradicate the crud.

Look, I'm going to say it... Bringing Putin or Russia's numbers into any conversation is as much of a joke as bringing China's numbers into the discussion. It's fair to say that those countries have seriously under-reported their numbers with regard to the crud.

As far as which country markets itself as the "best in the world" - every country has its flaws, but your Canadian inferiority complex is coming through strong there.
Nope it’s not.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
This thread is sure going off in the wrong direction. People are tired of YKW and being told what to do, I get that. Let's chill for a moment. We can't compare countries to each other, that's unfair. It has been a very long year and there will be an end to this. Let's try ok?

Xsktrx

Wow. This topic caught my attention as I’m a fan of David Wilson’s work and I was interested to see what he had to say. Somewhere near the beginning I vaguely recall something about skating. By the time I caught up I felt like I was back flipping channels between CNN and Fox news pre election days. Since this thread isn’t about skating anymore I only have 2 comments then I will return to the other threads. First off, why wouldn’t we believe the covid numbers out of Russia? Putin said “very strongly” that they are true. If the previous US president believes Putin, then it only follows that Tony would have no reason to doubt these numbers. And secondly as a resident of Toronto, our Covid numbers aren’t anything to brag about thanks to some not so bright residents who heard our government officials stressing how serious Covid is and wanted them to spread the word that these are dangerous times but unfortunately they misunderstood what was meant by spread the word. We’re far from perfect here in Toronto, but I can honestly say I don’t recall in the last 9 months seeing anyone without a mask in a store. For the most part we are doing our best but then again most of our politicians are all on the same page re Covid where as I feel sorry for the people in the US who get mixed messages all the time from their leaders because “someone” made the pandemic political and then went off to play golf... there I’m done. I think I’ll go read about Canadian Pairs or Russian women.

Judy

Wow. This topic caught my attention as I’m a fan of David Wilson’s work and I was interested to see what he had to say. Somewhere near the beginning I vaguely recall something about skating. By the time I caught up I felt like I was back flipping channels between CNN and Fox news pre election days. Since this thread isn’t about skating anymore I only have 2 comments then I will return to the other threads. First off, why wouldn’t we believe the ********* numbers out of Russia? Putin said “very strongly” that they are true. If the previous US president believes Putin, then it only follows that Tony would have no reason to doubt these numbers. And secondly as a resident of Toronto, our ********* numbers aren’t anything to brag about thanks to some not so bright residents who heard our government officials stressing how serious ********* is and wanted them to spread the word that these are dangerous times but unfortunately they misunderstood what was meant by spread the word. We’re far from perfect here in Toronto, but I can honestly say I don’t recall in the last 9 months seeing anyone without a mask in a store. For the most part we are doing our best but then again most of our politicians are all on the same page re ********* where as I feel sorry for the people in the US who get mixed messages all the time from their leaders because “someone” made the ********* political and then went off to play golf... there I’m done. I think I’ll go read about Canadian Pairs or Russian women.
You aren’t serious about your comments regarding Putin are you? 😳

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It generalized Canada as people who all follow the rules.
Actually, it generalizes a national myth, how people are taught to think about themselves. Just as the US national myth is about rugged individualism, routinely believed, for example, most vigorously by the people in red states that receive huge government-based income transfers from blue states.

Canada's governments have been more consistent in even the most fundamental agreement about accepting the severity of cv and how people should behave to fight it and communicating that, which isn't surprising especially as a nation that had and fought a SARS outbreak, and is consistent with both the national myth and some of the actions taken by provincial governments. Canada does not have a head of state who convinced his cult that cv was the equivalent of a winter cold, supported by provincial leaders of his party.

It's not at all surprising when institutions behave consistently, especially with the early examples of provinces shutting down 2020 Worlds and not allowing US MLB teams to travel to home games in Toronto, and that major competitions held in Canada are ones that leagues and organizations threw a lot of money at. Skate Canada is not looking at how compliance or lack-of-compliance has led to cv outcomes across Canada, but is reflecting the nature of the organization in a national context, for better or worse.

pat c

This is not a Federation problem— it’s a national one. If local governments are doing what they can to keep hockey going, why aren’t they doing the same for figure skating?
See below to national myth. ;)
So now there's always a caveat of true and untrue reporting. K. What if I said the US over-reported numbers? What if I said Canada maybe wasn't reporting all of their numbers? Surely I'll have the mob tell me that Canada always does everything right.
There are a couple of provinces for sure that aren't reporting all of their numbers. Politicians are the same everywhere. Game playing first...........it is our number one sport. Not hockey, not figure skating, political posturing. ;)
Actually, it generalizes a national myth, how people are taught to think about themselves. Just as the US national myth is about rugged individualism, routinely believed, for example, most vigorously by the people in red states that receive huge government-based income transfers from blue states.

Canada's governments have been more consistent in even the most fundamental agreement about accepting the severity of cv and how people should behave to fight it and communicating that, which isn't surprising especially as a nation that had and fought a SARS outbreak, and is consistent with both the national myth and some of the actions taken by provincial governments. Canada does not have a head of state who convinced his cult that cv was the equivalent of a winter cold, supported by provincial leaders of his party.

It's not at all surprising when institutions behave consistently, especially with the early examples of provinces shutting down 2020 Worlds and not allowing US MLB teams to travel to home games in Toronto, and that major competitions held in Canada are ones that leagues and organizations threw a lot of money at. Skate Canada is not looking at how compliance or lack-of-compliance has led to cv outcomes across Canada, but is reflecting the nature of the organization in a national context, for better or worse.
Yes, whole post.
Well, at least it's now acknowledged that we're talking about national myths, as much as reality.
Well said. We beat this one to death regularly.

Judy

I don't think anyone in the US with half of a brain says it's the best country in the world, nor do I go out boasting about how America is great about anything. Yet the second I call out the Canadians for their 'well we do everything better! We clearly care and the US doesn't!' behavior that is always creeping in on this board, the defenses come up full-force. Read the quote I shared again. When I said that simply is not a fact, here comes the brigade. Do many Canadians care about CV? Probably. Do many Americans care about CV? Yes. But said poster made it a direct comparison. Not me. I'm not the one saying my country is based around who cares and who doesn't.

Keep on with your defenses and your attempts at digs, though ;)
Seriously don’t understand where you get your sources from. Posters saying we are a better country? You just keep quoting media coverage. Being 😳 enough to say that EVERY Canadian is following rules? Come on. Canada is a very different country from the U.S. Your arguments are weak.

tony

Seriously don’t understand where you get your sources from. Posters saying we are a better country? You just keep quoting media coverage. Being 😳 enough to say that EVERY Canadian is following rules? Come on. Canada is a very different country from the U.S. Your arguments are weak.
I don’t get where you are coming from. You police every thread, you’ve seen the comments. Don’t act like you haven’t. There were Canadians here straight-up saying that everyone knows how to follow rules and that’s why their cases didn’t exist/were very low in the summer. I’m quoting what people said on this very board. But go ahead, question my education or whatever else makes you sleep well.

Also, funny how I pointed out that the US is full of some ridiculous people as well but it isn’t indicative of all of us. I recognize that very clearly. You get so bent out of shape with every reply and compare yourself to the US. I’m not comparing myself to Canada- I’m saying I’m tired of Canadians here doing it often. And there are even several posters that have acknowledged, as Canadians, that they see it too.

Get your eyes checked or police harder. Or just try to insult me again.

Youve also now had a Canadian poster say that provinces are under-reporting cases, by the way.

Judy

I don’t get where you are coming from. You police every thread, you’ve seen the comments. Don’t act like you haven’t. There were Canadians here straight-up saying that everyone knows how to follow rules and that’s why their cases didn’t exist/were very low in the summer. I’m quoting what people said on this very board. But go ahead, question my education or whatever else makes you sleep well.

Also, funny how I pointed out that the US is full of some ridiculous people as well but it isn’t indicative of all of us. I recognize that very clearly. You get so bent out of shape with every reply and compare yourself to the US. I’m not comparing myself to Canada- I’m saying I’m tired of Canadians here doing it often. And there are even several posters that have acknowledged, as Canadians, that they see it too.

Get your eyes checked or police harder. Or just try to insult me again.

Youve also now had a Canadian poster say that provinces are under-reporting cases, by the way.
Ummmm no I do not police every thread. I have no idea if other provinces are under reporting but I like to deal with facts so the poster can explain that. There would be no political reason for doing that. I live in one of the largest provinces but there are areas where access to healthcare is not the best.

You just keep making assumptions.

tony

Ummmm no I do not police every thread. I have no idea if other provinces are under reporting but I like to deal with facts so the poster can explain that. There would be no political reason for doing that. I live in one of the largest provinces but there are areas where access to healthcare is not the best.

You just keep making assumptions.
What assumptions am I making? That you got bent out of shape and claimed I was 'attacking' someone because I simply replied saying their nonsense paragraph A) didn't need a US comparison and B) didn't speak for a national 'attitude' as all one needed to do was look at numbers rising? Learn what attacking is, and understand that this is what you tried to do to me, but I'm not off bent out of shape about what you ASSUME about my education, nor that you said I sound like an idiot. You can sure dish it but then you throw out that I'm the one making assumptions based on what is actually written.

Now, please go on about how you 'deal with facts' only so the numbers reported by Canada must be 100% accurate but the numbers reported elsewhere and/or the attitudes of select groups are representative of everyone.

You're going to keep this going anyways, and I'm sure I'll get another comment comparing the countries in some form.

pat c

Political reason? Oh yes............the prairie provinces as a block doing everything they can do to make the federal govt's lives difficult.

Judy

What assumptions am I making? That you got bent out of shape and claimed I was 'attacking' someone because I simply replied saying their nonsense paragraph A) didn't need a US comparison and B) didn't speak for a national 'attitude' as all one needed to do was look at numbers rising? Learn what attacking is, and understand that this is what you tried to do to me, but I'm not off bent out of shape about what you ASSUME about my education, nor that you said I sound like an idiot. You can sure dish it but then you throw out that I'm the one making assumptions based on what is actually written.

Now, please go on about how you 'deal with facts' only so the numbers reported by Canada must be 100% accurate but the numbers reported elsewhere and/or the attitudes of select groups are representative of everyone.

You're going to keep this going anyways, and I'm sure I'll get another comment comparing the countries in some form.
I think you are more bent out of shape then I am. You’ve targeted a lot of posters. Bye!

skategal

Bunny mama

Political reason? Oh yes............the prairie provinces as a block doing everything they can do to make the federal govt's lives difficult.
Just FYI, positives on rapid tests can’t be reported as positives. They have to be reported as presumptive positives and then the person has to get PCR testing to confirm the positive on the rapid test.

They are useful as a screening tool but I think Public Health is sending people for the PCR test when they know their lab has the capacity to do it as it is the gold standard.

Agree that the prairie provinces are trying to make life as difficult as possible for the Feds and would add in Quebec as well. :lol:

Judy

I am not sure what is going on out west. I think the rapid testing isn’t supposed to be awesome. I do know that my niece in Victoria who works as an RN in the hospital says numbers are better there.

I know Alberta for sure is not happy with Trudeau because of the pipelines. Do you feel this is some type of retaliation?

pat c

I am not sure what is going on out west. I think the rapid testing isn’t supposed to be awesome. I do know that my niece in Victoria who works as an RN in the hospital says numbers are better there.

I know Alberta for sure is not happy with Trudeau because of the pipelines. Do you feel this is some type of retaliation?

Oh for sure, and just general ambivalence. Kenney was in Harper's govt so anything that the feds do right now would be wrong. The other two just do it just as a reflex altho Moe is a Kenney lackey. I could write more, but this isn't the thread for it.

The rapid testing thing? Yes, it isn't the be all and end all but it hasn't been utilized as well as it could have been for many reasons.

And Victoria would be doing better as Dr. Henry is respected in her province by the provincial govt, and I'll just leave that there as this is definitely thread drift. :)

Judy

Oh for sure, and just general ambivalence. Kenney was in Harper's govt so anything that the feds do right now would be wrong. The other two just do it just as a reflex altho Moe is a Kenney lackey. I could write more, but this isn't the thread for it.

The rapid testing thing? Yes, it isn't the be all and end all but it hasn't been utilized as well as it could have been for many reasons.

And Victoria would be doing better as Dr. Henry is respected in her province by the provincial govt, and I'll just leave that there as this is definitely thread drift. :)
I find it difficult to find out what’s going on in different provinces. Thank you for letting me know my niece should be safe she is very important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information