David Wilson Calls for New Leadership at Skate Canada

Judy

See below to national myth. ;)

There are a couple of provinces for sure that aren't reporting all of their numbers. Politicians are the same everywhere. Game playing first...........it is our number one sport. Not hockey, not figure skating, political posturing. ;)

Yes, whole post.

Well said. We beat this one to death regularly.
It looks like Canada wide the rapid testing isn’t being used to it’s full potential but provinces (health units) still reporting results from the regular testing.

ChiquitaBanana

Questioning how we could have made things different/faisable is healthy. That’s that brainstorming that makes an organisation pro-active.
Wilson has said what many other coaches think but are careful to say out loud. David Wilson has nothing to lose.

I have read the former comments about “all Canadians agree” and I’m like 🙄🤔. FSU community is not the skating community inside the Canadian rinks. You all speak from your point of view but you don’t know what is said behind the doors by the concerned people. The coaches see all the other countries that have held their nationals in some ways or others and they’re all asking why we couldn’t come up with something for our skaters. If it was not for Nationals, a jumping contest online, on-ice or off-ice challenges sent to the skaters, who knows... But that brainstorming time was spent on how to rename a Choctaw and to talk about racism in figure skating.

Colonel Green

But that brainstorming time was spent on how to rename a Choctaw and to talk about racism in figure skating.
Y’know, it’s possible to think that something else could have been done without being dismissive of trying to remove racism in skating?

On top of which, Skate Canada worked for months to arrange the virtual Challenge, so the idea that the fed isn’t dedicated to trying to make things happen is very obviously not true.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Y’know, it’s possible to think that something else could have been done without being dismissive of trying to remove racism in skating?

On top of which, Skate Canada worked for months to arrange the virtual Challenge, so the idea that the fed isn’t dedicated to trying to make things happen is very obviously not true.
But you and I both know that it was a very minimal attempt at change. Sure, they are taking that first step which is great, and I'm not here to complain about how the renamed elements show a laziness as some other posters have (or say that it wasn't needed, not offensive, etc), but you're making it sound like they spent months and months coming up with all of it-- and they didn't.

Now, this isn't singling Skate Canada out because I think the USFS and ISU have had plenty of time to rework a lot of stuff, as well, but they really haven't. But in regards to Skate Canada specifically and you as someone who seems to know a fair share more than the average fan, you absolutely have to know that what @ChiquitaBanana wrote is the truth - if you have the resources to ask around, do it. You're going to hear a lot of the same, and it's most certainly not the 'what all Canadians think' narrative that is being pushed here.

Colonel Green

But you and I both know that it was a very minimal attempt at change. Sure, they are taking that first step which is great, and I'm not here to complain about how the renamed elements show a laziness as some other posters have (or say that it wasn't needed, not offensive, etc), but you're making it sound like they spent months and months coming up with all of it-- and they didn't.
No I didn’t. It was the person I was responding to who was acting like these efforts required tons of time that implicitly wasn’t warranted.

tony

No I didn’t. It was the person I was responding to who was acting like these efforts required tons of time that implicitly wasn’t warranted.
I don't read it as that, no matter how I choose to read it. I read it as: they had the last months to adjust (as many other Federations have had to deal with), and what they've presented at this point is a change in wording of elements and saying they will work to be more inclusive. It took months to put together the Challenge? Well, maybe, but I don't quite think that's right-- they had to schedule officials to go film and monitor, and then someone to go in and clip the beginning/end of the performances and add some graphics. Maybe it took a month to actually film, but it shouldn't have taken months of planning by all people who were in charge.

Once Nationals was canceled, it almost was like Skate Canada said 'what do you want us to do?' but there were many options to at least highlight the skaters or give them some kind of motivation- regardless of whether rinks are shut down in some provinces. That's most certainly where a lot of the frustration comes from.

And of course it's tiring (as I've shown previously in this thread) to keep reading all the generalizations of what Canadians think or how 'all Canadians' don't want Worlds to happen or my favorite: how the athletes are being forced to go. This is the mentality of a group of posters that think all Canadians are wired the same, but the reality is that the athletes want to go compete, regardless of whether it's an Olympic qualifier, because they've had next to nothing nationally. They could have even produced a cheap virtual competition taken by cell phone cameras, or put together a combination of exhibition skates, or whatever.

Colonel Green

It took months to put together the Challenge? Well, maybe, but I don't quite think that's right-- they had to schedule officials to go film and monitor, and then someone to go in and clip the beginning/end of the performances and add some graphics. Maybe it took a month to actually film, but it shouldn't have taken months of planning by all people who were in charge.
From what Ted, etc. have said, the logistics of it did in fact take a lot of work over a period of months.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Once Nationals was canceled, it almost was like Skate Canada said 'what do you want us to do?' but there were many options to at least highlight the skaters or give them some kind of motivation- regardless of whether rinks are shut down in some provinces. That's most certainly where a lot of the frustration comes from.
Skate Canada has the Ja'mie King attitude: "I invited 3 Asians - what more do they want me to do!?"

greenapple

And of course it's tiring (as I've shown previously in this thread) to keep reading all the generalizations of what Canadians think or how 'all Canadians' don't want Worlds to happen or my favorite: how the athletes are being forced to go. This is the mentality of a group of posters that think all Canadians are wired the same, but the reality is that the athletes want to go compete, regardless of whether it's an Olympic qualifier, because they've had next to nothing nationally. They could have even produced a cheap virtual competition taken by cell phone cameras, or put together a combination of exhibition skates, or whatever.
Exactly. And all this rah-rah about Skate Canada taking months to produce one very simple competition and the endless defence of the organization by people who have no real connection to it is mystifying.

Brian Orser suggested many months ago SC should arrange for the entire national team to be put in a bubble so they could train together - that would have been a starting point. Holding a competition between the team members would not have been rocket science.

There is no question Canadian skaters wanted to be able to compete over the past year in some form or another. And according to those in the know, they are now hell bent on going to Worlds. There is a lot at stake for those in their final Olympic cycle.

mackiecat

It wasn’t that simple to organize. Every region was in different lock down protocols. Lots of rinks were closed. In a Toronto there could only be 10 people in rink. So one videographer, one referee, one music player, 3 skaters, 3 coaches. That is 9. If there was a common coach, you could do 4 skaters. Then the rink had to cleared of skaters and coaches before a new set could go in. It wasn’t a cheap process Or an easy one to organize. Add on the organization of live time judging/ tech panel with each official at home.

By the time the event was judged, many provinces were in full lockdown. Ontario was in a stay at home order, Alberta closed their rinks.

Judy

Exactly. And all this rah-rah about Skate Canada taking months to produce one very simple competition and the endless defence of the organization by people who have no real connection to it is mystifying.

Brian Orser suggested many months ago SC should arrange for the entire national team to be put in a bubble so they could train together - that would have been a starting point. Holding a competition between the team members would not have been rocket science.

There is no question Canadian skaters wanted to be able to compete over the past year in some form or another. And according to those in the know, they are now hell bent on going to Worlds. There is a lot at stake for those in their final Olympic cycle.
Can they go? I hadn’t heard anything about that.

tony

It wasn’t that simple to organize. Every region was in different lock down protocols. Lots of rinks were closed. In a Toronto there could only be 10 people in rink. So one videographer, one referee, one music player, 3 skaters, 3 coaches. That is 9. If there was a common coach, you could do 4 skaters. Then the rink had to cleared of skaters and coaches before a new set could go in. It wasn’t a cheap process Or an easy one to organize. Add on the organization of live time judging/ tech panel with each official at home.

By the time the event was judged, many provinces were in full lockdown. Ontario was in a stay at home order, Alberta closed their rinks.
That’s still not a strong argument for it taking months to plan out the logistics of the event. Yes, the people assigned to recording the performances probably had busy schedules and had to maneuver rink rules changing, but there’s absolutely no way that the committee behind establishing the procedures took ‘months’.

Also, you ask which judges and tech panels are able to judge, you determine the panels, and you tell them when they need to be available. This is no different than an in-person competition. They all did it ‘live’ so it’s not as if many days were taken out of their schedules.

Video editing and inserting graphics, I promise you, took very minimal time. Videos may not have even been edited trimming beginning and ends if the people recording were instructed to start/stop at a certain point. Combining all the videos and adding intro/outro graphics is very quick work.

ETA- October 9th, I believe, was the official announcement about this switch. The competition started just over 3 months after that, and filming dates started less than a month after that announcement from what I see. No, it was not months of planning.

Last edited:

tony

Please. As a poster using a pseudonym on a board that anyone can post on, there is no reason to believe that your "insiders" are any more reliable or knowledgeable than any other poster's "insiders".
Well, I'm telling you that I heard the same. Without a pseudonym (and no, I'm not David Wilson). Believe what you want.

Why is it that so many people want to just assume the skaters themselves don't want to compete/not go to Worlds? It's completely illogical, as is trying to pass off any idea of them being 'forced' to do something. They can straight-up say they want Worlds to happen and we will still have FSU's know-it-alls who constantly read minds saying 'well they didn't mean it, they were forced'.

Judy

Well, I'm telling you that I heard the same. Without a pseudonym (and no, I'm not David Wilson). Believe what you want.

Why is it that so many people want to just assume the skaters themselves don't want to compete/not go to Worlds? It's completely illogical, as is trying to pass off any idea of them being 'forced' to do something.
I have no idea what they want or don’t want. So if they are naming a world team they can go? I thought they weren’t.

mjb52

I staunchly urge no more popular music—classical only. Hungarian Rhapsody a flawless composition,particularly in an Olympic year.

-BB

For myself, I find the piano a bit modern for my taste and would prefer that choreographers focus on compositions for the harpsichord and lute. I am just a purist in that way. Call me old-fashioned if you must!

Judy

If Skate Canada is going through the work of monitoring and determining the World team to begin with, wouldn't you believe that to be a positive sign that they will be able to attend?
I have literally no idea what they have been doing lol. I generally haven’t followed skating in quite a while,

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
For myself, I find the piano a bit modern for my taste and would prefer that choreographers focus on compositions for the harpsichord and lute. I am just a purist in that way. Call me old-fashioned if you must!
Screw instruments. Let's just go straight to acapella Gregorian chants for ALL skaters! Or, if one must have a more modern twist - let's OD on the Pentatonix discography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information