Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

screech

Julianne Hough will be a guest judge tonight, in place of Derek:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWlmPucvXTL/?utm_medium=copy_link
I was actually wondering whether they'd have Julianne as a guest judge. Though I didn't like her as a judge on the show, it'll be interesting to see her, as in her last few red carpets, she's been looking facially... not quite like herself.
I also think that if Derek can't be there then there shouldn't be a guest judge who has not participated at all for the entire season. I mean, it would almost make more sense to have someone like Sharna be the guest judge, as she's been in the audience every week, so at least has seen everyone dancing live for the entire season.

Also, for anyone voting for Cody, can I ask why? I mean, it's clear he's not the best dancer left in a dancing competition, and he's not really shown much improvement over the season. And IMO and based off what I've read online, people tend to not like him the best based on personality. Is it just because of being a Peloton user/fan? Is it because he shouldn't win so it's a desire to be contrary and annoy other people? I'm honestly curious what would make someone vote for him over anyone else.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Also, for anyone voting for Cody, can I ask why? I mean, it's clear he's not the best dancer left in a dancing competition, and he's not really shown much improvement over the season. And IMO and based off what I've read online, people tend to not like him the best based on personality. Is it just because of being a Peloton user/fan? Is it because he shouldn't win so it's a desire to be contrary and annoy other people? I'm honestly curious what would make someone vote for him over anyone else.
1. Peloton people
2. Contrarians (American Idol used to have a fan group called Vote For the Worst that helped people vote for the least successful performance each week. VFTW put Nikki McKibben in AI1 top three over Tamyra Gray.)
3. The segment of DWTS viewers who always seem to prefer white men over women and people of color.

Lilia A

4 points (out of 80) separate first and last. So, it will come down to voting.
I think a guy is going to win. Cody has the votes, lots of them. Iman had a very flashy freestyle.

This is the first time I bother watching the finale in a long time. I see the trend of giving out perfect scores to every freestyle no matter what happens on the dance floor continues to this day.

ETA: Yup. I called it. Iman won.
Another trend that hasn't stopped is them rushing the announcement and going overtime lol

Last edited:

Aaron MB Fan

I was actually wondering whether they'd have Julianne as a guest judge. Though I didn't like her as a judge on the show, it'll be interesting to see her, as in her last few red carpets, she's been looking facially... not quite like herself.
I also think that if Derek can't be there then there shouldn't be a guest judge who has not participated at all for the entire season. I mean, it would almost make more sense to have someone like Sharna be the guest judge, as she's been in the audience every week, so at least has seen everyone dancing live for the entire season.

For me, it’s a combination of being a Peloton user, loving and relating to Cody’s story, his openness, and how he inspires and motivates millions every day through the Peloton.

Congrats to Iman for his win!! Glad he won and not JoJo.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Iman developed as a dancer way more than JoJo did, and had way more interesting routines.

IMO seeing as JoJo is a trained dancer and stage performer, she shouldn't have been on the show in the first place.

Too bad that Tyra spent so much time dragging out her words that Iman had to be given the trophy while the credits were running :mad:

love skating

Clueless American
I'm happy Iman won. He is not a Bobby Bones in my mind. He's a good dancer, Bobby was not. In my opinion, Cody winning would have been a Bobby Bones. Having said that, I did enjoy Cody's freestyle more than any of his previous dances. JoJo was great and I would have been fine with her winning too. But I felt since a couple weeks ago that Iman had the momentum. I've always liked Amanda, but I did feel like she was a bit tentative tonight and being in the bottom last week I was pretty sure she would end up fourth. While I liked both JoJo and Iman's freestyles I preferred earlier dances in the season as my favorite of theirs - JoJo's contemporary and Iman's Us program were my favorites. And wow to them lifting up Iman in the air at the end! lol

screech

Tyra's long pause, while looking at the results, then over the top "OH MY GOD" as if she was just seeing them.... :rolleyes:

JoJo was undeniably the best dancer on the show. I definitely would have been okay with her win. However, I think a lot of people find her a big off-putting. She seems like a genuinely nice person, however she also seems like the definition of A LOT, and I think that might have caused her to lose votes.

Amanda would be the second best dancer in the finale, however her dances yesterday were kind of lacklustre. Also she came across as very one-note and bland a lot of the time.

I'd rank Iman 3rd for dance ability of the finalists, however he was definitely the most improved of the stars. And he was incredibly charming and likeable. Though not the best dancer, his improvement and personality makes his win understandable and IMO more acceptable than...

Cody, who I've not hidden my dislike (a bit of a strong word) for. He was the weakest dancer, and like JoJo, seemed like A LOT. Being the weakest dancer and not coming off as being as likeable as the others, is a reason why IMO his win would not have been great. I know he has his fans, however I don't think most non-Peloton users connected with him.

Iman's freestyle was the only one that felt like an actual freestyle to me. Also, I thought that their fusion choreography was the best - they were the only ones who seemed to actually fuse the two styles, rather than doing one style then halfway through switching to the other style. I also think Jojo/Jenna may have jinxes themselves by dressing as the mirrorball trophy for their freestyle.

Huge Kudos to Daniella who really made it work with an incredibly tall non-dancer. And had her first win in just her second season as a pro (after making the finale last year with another non-dancer). IMO she and Jenna are the definite stand-outs for pros.

Firedancer

Tyra's long pause, while looking at the results, then over the top "OH MY GOD" as if she was just seeing them.... :rolleyes:

JoJo was undeniably the best dancer on the show. I definitely would have been okay with her win. However, I think a lot of people find her a big off-putting. She seems like a genuinely nice person, however she also seems like the definition of A LOT, and I think that might have caused her to lose votes.

Amanda would be the second best dancer in the finale, however her dances yesterday were kind of lacklustre. Also she came across as very one-note and bland a lot of the time.

I'd rank Iman 3rd for dance ability of the finalists, however he was definitely the most improved of the stars. And he was incredibly charming and likeable. Though not the best dancer, his improvement and personality makes his win understandable and IMO more acceptable than...

Cody, who I've not hidden my dislike (a bit of a strong word) for. He was the weakest dancer, and like JoJo, seemed like A LOT. Being the weakest dancer and not coming off as being as likeable as the others, is a reason why IMO his win would not have been great. I know he has his fans, however I don't think most non-Peloton users connected with him.

Iman's freestyle was the only one that felt like an actual freestyle to me. Also, I thought that their fusion choreography was the best - they were the only ones who seemed to actually fuse the two styles, rather than doing one style then halfway through switching to the other style. I also think Jojo/Jenna may have jinxes themselves by dressing as the mirrorball trophy for their freestyle.

Huge Kudos to Daniella who really made it work with an incredibly tall non-dancer. And had her first win in just her second season as a pro (after making the finale last year with another non-dancer). IMO she and Jenna are the definite stand-outs for pros.

I think this summarizes it really well. I am ok with Iman winning. He has shown the most improvement throughout the season and I really enjoyed his freestyle. I find both Cody and JoJo obnoxious and didn’t really want to see either one win. Also, Cody is by far the weakest dancer and I felt like he should have gone home weeks ago. I like Amanda and think she is an excellent dancer but I just didn’t feel like her freestyle was enough.

Now I just want to see them get rid of Tyra.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Meh. Another Bobby Bones.

JoJo wuzrobbed. :wuzrobbed
I found it not in the slightest like Bobby Bones win. I was rooting for Jojo until Iman's epic freestyle & then I wanted him to win. It was one of the best routines & the best executed dance I've ever seen on the show. I've watched it twice & I think Iman was amazing. Happy for Daniella too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My other wish in addition to Tyra leaving would be for the show to focus more on the dancing and less on the dancers' sob stories - sorry, I know that's a harsh term. But at times I felt like some of the contestants were trying to win more on the basis of their personal stories than on the basis of their dancing. One thing I really liked about Iman is that he mostly just danced. We didn't learn as much about him as we did about some of the other contestants, and I was completely fine with that.

screech

In addition to Tyra leaving, and fewer fluff pieces, I would like them to replace Carrie-Ann. IMO she adds nothing to the show, has in the past been catty to female contestants, and all she does is react to emotion or claim she HAS TO deduct a point for a lift. She has no ballroom/latin experience either, unlike Len, Bruno, and Derek.
I'd like to see her replaced with another female judge who actually is qualified to judge ballroom/latin. Maybe Shirley Ballas or Mandy Moore (the choreographer who has worked on the show, not the singer/actress). Or a former competitor like Peta, Kym, Lacey, Chelsie, or Anna

Also, Cheryl has said she wants to create a new role on the show, acting as a mentor for the couples. I think this would be a great idea to have.

pixie cut

What irritated me most about Cody was that the judges lavished praise on him and scored him high for mediocre dancing while criticizing Iman and giving him 8s. Both were obviously drawing viewer votes and weren't going to be eliminated, so why was Cody getting the bogus praise? Cody didn't really improve as the season went on. There were times I worried for Cheryl's safety during trickier routines. Maybe his personality is great for someone cranking out a Peloton routine at 6 am, but on this show I found him boring and flat. His freestyle was an 8 at best. I know the concept was the underground ballroom scene (see the FX series Pose for reference). He simply flailed around. See JoJo's freestyle for a wonderful LGBTQ homage.

You can call me rude all you want, but I'm so tired of people criticizing JoJo for being a trained dancer. She clearly wasn't a ballroom dancer because you could see her weaknesses when compared to Jenna. If she had been dancing with a dude, he'd have covered her weaknesses, but by dancing with another woman JoJo was brave enough for there to be direct comparison.

This show has been full of trained dancers. Amanda had vastly more ballroom experience than JoJo. Her frame was impeccable. She danced on Broadway. You can't say you haven't really watched the show, but then assert the premise of the show. Dancing with the Stars has always had a mix of people with dance experience and people who've never danced. Some of the non-dancers are beautiful surprises and sometimes they win, like Emmitt Smith or Hines Ward or JR Martinez. And sometimes Jordan Fisher, Nicole Scherzinger or Meryl Davis wins.

This was a good season with lots of good dancing. Honestly, no one other than Martin Kove and Brian Austin Green sucked. Every week I was sad to see someone go. Iman was a fun celebrity to watch and Daniella is an absolutely brilliant dancer and choreographer. Their freestyle was everything. Well deserved win.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This show has been full of trained dancers. Amanda had vastly more ballroom experience than JoJo. Her frame was impeccable. She danced on Broadway. You can't say you haven't really watched the show, but then assert the premise of the show. Dancing with the Stars has always had a mix of people with dance experience and people who've never danced. Some of the non-dancers are beautiful surprises and sometimes they win, like Emmitt Smith or Hines Ward or JR Martinez. And sometimes Jordan Fisher, Nicole Scherzinger or Meryl Davis wins.

I for one have never said I haven't really watched the show. Because I've watched it every season except when there is someone despicable like Sean Spicer or Rick Perry in the cast. IMO the whole premise of the show is non-dancers being paired with a professional dancer, and how the non-dancers develop (or don't) as the season progresses. Casting people who have theatrical or performing dance experience goes against that, and I don't think Amanda should have been on the show either.

pixie cut

I for one have never said I haven't really watched the show. Because I've watched it every season except when there is someone despicable like Sean Spicer or Rick Perry in the cast. IMO the whole premise of the show is non-dancers being paired with a professional dancer, and how the non-dancers develop (or don't) as the season progresses. Casting people who have theatrical or performing dance experience goes against that, and I don't think Amanda should have been on the show either.
What would you say about Meryl Davis and Charlie White? They had years of ballroom training for ice dancing.

I wasn't referring to you. Someone else wrote, "I rarely watch DWTS." If someone rarely watches the show, of course that person can have an opinion, but it is not based on thorough knowledge.

The facts show that Dancing with the Stars has always had a mix of people with dance experience ranging from a little to a lot and people with little to no dance experience. I think that makes for an interesting show. If it was all total novices, I'd have quit watching around season five.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
What would you say about Meryl Davis and Charlie White? They had years of ballroom training for ice dancing.

I wasn't referring to you. Someone else wrote, "I rarely watch DWTS." If someone rarely watches the show, of course that person can have an opinion, but it is not based on thorough knowledge.

The facts show that Dancing with the Stars has always had a mix of people with dance experience ranging from a little to a lot and people with little to no dance experience. I think that makes for an interesting show. If it was all total novices, I'd have quit watching around season five.

I agree that no one wants to watch people with two left feet clump around for weeks on end. I actually think skaters are a good addition. They've learned how to move on the ice, but then they have to transfer that to the floor. And they haven't worked in professional jobs (off the ice) that required dancing. That to me is where the line should be drawn.

pixie cut

I agree that no one wants to watch people with two left feet clump around for weeks on end. I actually think skaters are a good addition. They've learned how to move on the ice, but then they have to transfer that to the floor. And they haven't worked in professional jobs (off the ice) that required dancing. That to me is where the line should be drawn.
I don't know if that's a line that could really be drawn. Meryl Davis and Charlie White spent vastly more time with ballroom instructors than JoJo Siwa ever did. The average DWTS viewer would say they danced on ice. I don't think you could convince the average viewer that an ice dancer is OK, but someone who did jazz and hip hop isn't.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't know if that's a line that could really be drawn. Meryl Davis and Charlie White spent vastly more time with ballroom instructors than JoJo Siwa ever did. The average DWTS viewer would say they danced on ice. I don't think you could convince the average viewer that an ice dancer is OK, but someone who did jazz and hip hop isn't.

The distinction to me isn't between ballroom and other kinds of dancing, but whether the person has performed as a professional dancer. JoJo became famous on a dance reality show and dancing is a big part of her live performances. That would make her a dancer in my estimation. Meryl and Charlie trained in dance for ice dancing, but they aren't professional dancers. YMMV.

pixie cut

The distinction to me isn't between ballroom and other kinds of dancing, but whether the person has performed as a professional dancer. JoJo became famous on a dance reality show and dancing is a big part of her live performances. That would make her a dancer in my estimation. Meryl and Charlie trained in dance for ice dancing, but they aren't professional dancers. YMMV.
Melora Hardin danced on a TV show, the television adaptation of the movie Dirty Dancing. Does that disqualify her too?

Desperado

What irritated me most about Cody was that the judges lavished praise on him and scored him high for mediocre dancing while criticizing Iman and giving him 8s. Both were obviously drawing viewer votes and weren't going to be eliminated, so why was Cody getting the bogus praise?

Call me mean, but I don’t think Cody would’ve handled negative comments well. He just seemed very fragile under all the bluster. I don’t remember any contestant being praised every dance. Even the great ones like Kristi Yamaguchi.

And I’m with Julianne - Iman and Daniella’s freestyle was the best ever. 🤩🤩

pixie cut

Call me mean, but I don’t think Cody would’ve handled negative comments well. He just seemed very fragile under all the bluster. I don’t remember any contestant being praised every dance. Even the great ones like Kristi Yamaguchi.

And I’m with Julianne - Iman and Daniella’s freestyle was the best ever. 🤩🤩
When did the judges ever consider the emotions of the celebrity contestants? Carrie Ann Inaba has been vicious at times, especially with female contestants. Kaitlyn Bristowe was a beautiful dancer, and CAI attacked her personality on the premise of getting her to express herself more and connect with the viewers. Maybe Cody is sensitive, so don't go for the usual personal attacks, but tell him his frame is weak, he lacks power and Cheryl is obviously compensating.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Melora Hardin danced on a TV show, the television adaptation of the movie Dirty Dancing. Does that disqualify her too?

You're really stretching to try to make your point, aren't you? Dancing in one show doesn't make someone a professional dancer, especially as she was primarily acting in the show, not dancing. No, that wouldn't disqualify her. But someone like JoJo who became famous as a dancer on a reality show and who dances in every concert that she performs, yes, that should disqualify her.

orbitz

Season 1 was quite good, and every celebrity competing on that season was a novice. The winner Kelly Monaco was really stiff and awkward the first few weeks, but she got more comfortable and noticeably better.

-----------

I couldn't watch the entire Cody & Sheryl freestyle. There's good camp and there's bad camp. This was just bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information