Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

screech

This was the best Tyra has looked all season. She should dress like Janet Jackson every week!

Not the 3 I'd have had in the bottom. Though it was definitely Cody's best dance, he's still near the bottom (with Iman) of dancers on the show. And he's a bit annoying too, so I have no idea who's keeping him on. Is he still doing Peleton stuff? If so, he's probably asking the participants to vote/bringing it up every session.
Also a lot of people liking Iman. I've decided Iman reminds me of Nelly from last season (also paired with Daniella). Not the best dancer, but putting in effort and likeable as a person. Kind of the opposite of Amanda who comes off as kind of pageanty. She's a good dancer but comes across as a bit phony in her packages.
And was Melora giving an Oscar acceptance speech there? She was even basically 'played off'.

I'm not really rooting for any of the teams this year. I guess I'd say Melora or JoJo? But nobody really draws me in this year.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
OMG - Melora's facial expressions in the paso! And who really thought she was in the bottom 3? So fake.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
OMG - Melora's facial expressions in the paso! And who really thought she was in the bottom 3? So fake.
Yeah, there has been a lot of fakeness in the Bottom X people.

I still haven't watched this so I'll post any thoughts on the whole thing later.

Aaron MB Fan

Just curious as to why Cody is still there. Is it Cheryl, or is it an organized group like the AI Vote for the Worst?
I think it is definitely the hardcore Peloton fan base. I had a Peloton but ended up selling it due to an injury that made it so I couldn’t use the bike anymore. But during the year I had it, I saw how intense the user base is. Cody is one of the most popular instructors and has an extremely loyal, rabid following. Many of these hardcore peloton riders are obsessed and intense so I can see them voting en masse for him every week which is why he has never even seen the Bottom 2 yet.

I will also say that while his personality isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, he’s truly being himself and real. A lot of his stories and sharing during rides really resonated with me personally. So I ended up messaging him on Instagram after a few months of having the peloton to thank him, tell him about his impact he had on me and share my story. And to my surprise, he took the time to actually read and reply to me personally within a day!

This was the best Tyra has looked all season. She should dress like Janet Jackson every week!
I had the same thought. Finally Tyra looked decent and chose outfits that flattered and suited her!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We had an internet outage last night so I don't know who Derrick gave his points to or who was eliminated. :wuzrobbed

Oh no, no more Olivia! I loved her dancing. :wuzrobbed

screech

I think it is definitely the hardcore Peloton fan base. I had a Peloton but ended up selling it due to an injury that made it so I couldn’t use the bike anymore. But during the year I had it, I saw how intense the user base is.
I think all those who are generally 'out there' are able to get votes. I mean, the Spice Girls have tons of fans, however Mel C wasn't out there performing to huge crowds every day of the week where she was able to promote herself and ask for votes, as Mel B would have been able to do back when she was on. (Also, Mel B was the first one to make Maks 'likeable' sot hat helped too)

It makes me surprised that Jimmie was in the bottom so early, since he had concerts going on where he could talk about the show and get his fans to vote, whereas AFAIK Melora doesn't have that right now, but she's still there, which is especially impressive for an 'older' woman, who most people know from her being in a recurring role on a show that ended almost a decade ago.

So during this week's show, I thought that there's a chance we could have a male/male couple next year IF there is a conventionally attractive stand-out from the Olympics who is willing to do so (and has rhythm). If the show were willing in 2018, I could have seen Adam Rippon being the first one - gay, attractive, media darling, and generally likeable public persona - he would have been perfect for the first one. If we have another person who also ticks all those boxes after Beijing, I won't be surprised to see it happen. But ONLY if they tick all those boxes (because they don't want the person to be eliminated in week one). Otherwise I think it may be a few years until we have the first male/male pairing.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@screech Jason Brown ticks all the boxes, but I’m not getting an “OMG I must be on DWTS“ vibe from him.

Last edited:

screech

@screech Jason Brown ticks all the boxes, but I’m not getting an “OMG I must be on DWTS“ from him.
Same. I was thinking an ice dancer would be perfect (a la Meryl and Charlie). Guillaume Cizeron or Paul Poirier are the only top / medal contender openly gay ones I can think of off the top of my head. I could see Paul as being more likely to do it than Guillaume, though, but I don't know if either would be enough of a media darling/Olympic stand-out personality-wise for the show to risk it on them.

Thinking of female/female, Kaitlyn Weaver would be great on the show.

BaileyCatts

I know Olivia Jade comes with that baggage of the college scandal, but she did not deserve to go yet. She should have been Top 5 at a minimum.

Olivia and Val were on Entertainment Tonight last night and Val said that he thinks this might be his last season, like he's ready to move on. Nnnnnnoooooo!!!!!!!! Please don't go Val!!!!

Debbie S

Same. I was thinking an ice dancer would be perfect (a la Meryl and Charlie). Guillaume Cizeron or Paul Poirier are the only top / medal contender openly gay ones I can think of off the top of my head. I could see Paul as being more likely to do it than Guillaume, though, but I don't know if either would be enough of a media darling/Olympic stand-out personality-wise for the show to risk it on them.

Thinking of female/female, Kaitlyn Weaver would be great on the show.
When they've had Oly athletes in the past, they've always been from the U.S., which makes sense since it's a U.S.-based show. Jason would be a great fit. Maybe Paul and Guillaume will do Battle of the Blades. :)

Not a huge fan of Olivia but Iman, Cody and Melora should have been gone before her.

screech

If peoples votes are low, the judges often score them higher to keep them from getting eliminated.
But The Office has some incredibly fanatical fans (I once dared to tell one that I did not enjoy the show, and they were not happy with me at all).
IMO, JoJo is the best dancer left, then Amanda, and then probably Melora. The average scores seem to agree with that. Of those left:
  1. Jojo & Jenna, average score 35.5
  2. Amanda & Alan, average score 34.4
  3. Melora & Artem, average score 33.7
  4. Suni & Sasha, average score 33.0
  5. Cody & Cheryl, average score 30.0
  6. Iman & Daniela, average score 29.9
With such a huge gap between 4 and 5, I've read some people saying that if Cody or Iman win, it will be akin to when Bobby Bones won. While I don't think it's quite that bad, they really aren't in the same league as any of the others (there's less of a difference between 1st and 4th than there is between 4th and 5th!)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So who is Iman's fan base that he is still there? Wiki says he's a free agent so that means he doesn't have loyal team members to go crazy voting for him. Is he more famous in the SportsBall world than I realize? I mean he's no Kevin Durrant or Steve Curry from what I know.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
So who is Iman's fan base that he is still there? Wiki says he's a free agent so that means he doesn't have loyal team members to go crazy voting for him. Is he more famous in the SportsBall world than I realize? I mean he's no Kevin Durrant or Steve Curry from what I know.
There might be some Teyana Taylor fans in his base. That, and he’s VERY active on social.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So I guess he's just not on my radar but on plenty of other people's. :D

I have to say, even the bad dancers have improved over time. This isn't always true. So I consider this a decent season.

They just have to get rid of Tyra as the MC. She is horrible at it. Even when she's not making it all about her, she stumbles over words, babbles inanely, her voice gets really soft so it's hard to hear, etc. She just isn't a natural at it. I've seen her show and she does a good job there but she seems out of her depth here.

Desperado

Agree with everyone saying Tyra looked great this week.

Not a fan of Melora’s dancing, but was happy to see her thank those who worked behind the scenes in often thankless jobs.

Val looked quite over it this season so I’m ok with him leaving.

I enjoyed Iman in the dance off, but not so much in the main dance.

Suni looked like a different person out there - what a new hairstyle can do. :D

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I like Melora's dancing very much, especially as she's an actress and not someone with extensive dance training. But I think she's going to get voted off just because she's old(er).

screech

So next week's DWTS has the 'redemption' dance (mentored by one of the judges) where they get to redo a style they struggled with this season. Kind of odd that Len is mentoring 3 couples, but each of the others judges only get one? Len is mentoring Amanda, JoJo and Melora, Carrie-Ann gets Suni, Bruno gets Cody, and Derek gets Iman.

Then in the second round, they get a new dance style. Everyone will get to do lifts in at least one round of competition (though some will be able to do so in both). I hope Melora and Artem go full Dawson's Creek for their rumba. Carrie-Ann will bust out the tears (surprised she hasn't really done so yet this season), as Amanda and Alan go for the sympathy votes by performing to a song for her husband (who truly suffered in his death).

• JoJo and Jenna will perform a redemption Argentine Tango to “Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre)” by Gotan Project; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Before You Go (Piano Version)” by Lewis Capaldi
  • Iman and Daniella will perform a redemption Tango to “Telephone” by Martynas; then for their new dance, a Jazz to “Dark Fantasy” by Kanye West
  • Suni and Sasha will perform a redemption Foxtrot to “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Bublé; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
  • Melora and Artem will perform a redemption Rumba to “I Don’t Want To Wait” by Paula Cole; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Thunder” by Imagine Dragons
  • Amanda and Alan will perform a redemption Tango to “Titanium” by David Guetta featuring Sia; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Live Your Life – Nick Cordero” by Lenii
  • Cody and Cheryl will perform a redemption Salsa to “Danza Kuduro” by Don Omar and Lucenzo; then for their new dance, an Argentine Tango to “La Cumparsita” by Forever Tango

taf2002

So next week's DWTS has the 'redemption' dance (mentored by one of the judges) where they get to redo a style they struggled with this season. Kind of odd that Len is mentoring 3 couples, but each of the others judges only get one? Len is mentoring Amanda, JoJo and Melora, Carrie-Ann gets Suni, Bruno gets Cody, and Derek gets Iman.

Then in the second round, they get a new dance style. Everyone will get to do lifts in at least one round of competition (though some will be able to do so in both). I hope Melora and Artem go full Dawson's Creek for their rumba. Carrie-Ann will bust out the tears (surprised she hasn't really done so yet this season), as Amanda and Alan go for the sympathy votes by performing to a song for her husband (who truly suffered in his death).

• JoJo and Jenna will perform a redemption Argentine Tango to “Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre)” by Gotan Project; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Before You Go (Piano Version)” by Lewis Capaldi
  • Iman and Daniella will perform a redemption Tango to “Telephone” by Martynas; then for their new dance, a Jazz to “Dark Fantasy” by Kanye West
  • Suni and Sasha will perform a redemption Foxtrot to “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Bublé; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
  • Melora and Artem will perform a redemption Rumba to “I Don’t Want To Wait” by Paula Cole; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Thunder” by Imagine Dragons
  • Amanda and Alan will perform a redemption Tango to “Titanium” by David Guetta featuring Sia; then for their new dance, a Contemporary to “Live Your Life – Nick Cordero” by Lenii
  • Cody and Cheryl will perform a redemption Salsa to “Danza Kuduro” by Don Omar and Lucenzo; then for their new dance, an Argentine Tango to “La Cumparsita” by Forever Tango
Are you saying that these couples will actually dance to these originals artists? That would be fantastic but I'm afraid we will be hearing Ray Chew & his vocal group instead. My ears my ears!

screech

Are you saying that these couples will actually dance to these originals artists? That would be fantastic but I'm afraid we will be hearing Ray Chew & his vocal group instead. My ears my ears!
Oh it's rarely ever the actual artists, but the terrible covers of their versions of the songs.
The Ray Chew singers are way better than I could ever hope to be, but they really are not great at a lot of the songs. The band itself is good, it's just the singers trying to mimic other singers in styles that don't suit their vocals..

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
That tango JoJo and Jenna did was awesome. Based on the friendship and stunning photos of Hubbell and Papadakis, I would love for them to do a brief show number along these lines.

love skating

Clueless American
Man, there must be a ton of peloton people. How else can you explain Cody being in the top 3? Maybe the judges are peloton fans too cause I didn't think either of his dances deserved higher than an 8. I get the love for Iman - his dances are incredibly entertaining, but Cody?!? I liked but didn't love JoJo's Argentine Tango but that contemporary was just gorgeous. I loved Suni's contemporary too, didn't love Melora's contemporary but did like her Rhumba. And Amanda's contemporary was of course a tearjerker, but hard to judge because of everyone's emotions. Early in the season I was thinking it would easily be an all female finale.... I was wrong!

screech

I liked Melora but based on last night she deserved to go. Disappointed to see Suni go based on last night's performances - IMO they were her best dances and 2 of the few where she actually 'performed'.
If Cody ends up winning this whole thing, I may end up boycotting the show. He's by far the worst dancer left, and while I'm sure he's a perfectly fine person, I can't stand him. in his first dance last night I thought he looked like someone who doesn't know how to dance trying to keep up with someone who does. In his Tango he took 10 seconds to walk down the stairs, and then there was a period where he literally stood completely still while Cheryl flicked her legs around him. Not good.
Iman is not a fantastic dancer, but he's likeable and you can really see the improvement. Plus their lifts!
Aa much as I thought it would be a plea for tears, I did end up tearing up for Amanda's contemporary. And Alan looked so emotional too!
As exhausting as I find JoJo, she's clearly the class of the field. I'd like her to win, but if not, I guess Iman would be my second choice, for personality and abs alone.

And huge kudos to Daniella - 2 years as a pro, and she's made the finals both times with stars who are not natural dancers (Nelly was last year)

taf2002

The win for Bobby Bones was disappointing for me but I kind of understood it. It was based completely on personality. I will not understand or accept a Cody win. It's hard enough to watch Tyra vamp her way around the stage with that fake voice but a win for the worse dancer who is devoid of pleasing personality will be the nail in the coffin for me.

eta: correct tense

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information