Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

BaileyCatts

It makes me roll my eyes so hard that this article informing on the dances for Queen week makes sure to mention that the intro song ("I Want It All") will include Tyra's walk out. .........
This a thousand times over. If they wouldn't do those tacky opening bits, and give Tyra a full 30 seconds to do a 'walk out' (stare at a clock and do nothing for 30 seconds ... that's a LOT of time), there would be enough time to do a quick opening number with the Pro dancers like we used to get. Outside of the premiere, I only remember there being 1 week were we had a opening dance with the Pros.

barbk

This a thousand times over. If they wouldn't do those tacky opening bits, and give Tyra a full 30 seconds to do a 'walk out' (stare at a clock and do nothing for 30 seconds ... that's a LOT of time), there would be enough time to do a quick opening number with the Pro dancers like we used to get. Outside of the premiere, I only remember there being 1 week were we had a opening dance with the Pros.
I. Can't. Stand. Tyra.

Meanwhile, JoJo and Jenna killed it. I thought they were better than Olivia Jade and Val, though not by much. I'm a little annoyed that I like OJ's dancing quite as much as I do, but she really shows some talent with dancing. (I work with college admissions and have a very hard time getting past what she did.)

Jubak

I've been watching "Strictly Come Dancing" from the UK and the of the dances from "Dancing With the Stars" On YouTube. I cannot even begin to say how much better the dancing is on the British show. They are technical and are called out when they don't dance correctly. No matter how much razzle-dazzle, there has to be good dancing behind it. They have a same sex male couple Johannes & John that will blow you away. JoJo has nothing on these guys. I cannot sit through the US show & now when I watch the US dances, I have Craig Revel-Horwood in my ear now. He is still giving people 3s and 4s. People should watch "Strictly" on YouTube and get an education about good ballroom & Latin technique.

Although both Johannes & John are both gay (On Strictly) there have been plenty of times where they have had same sex couples in the opening numbers on the results show.

And Tyra has to go. Her voice is grating. Another reason to stop watching the US show in its entirety.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Cody is my least favorite & his scores puzzle me. And he has no discernible personality. I would have liked him to go home instead of The Miz, who is entertaining. Last night they gave us some good dancing & some dreadful music. My ears, my ears!

screech

I really can't stand Cody. He's just not that good. And in his dance last night, his butt was in a different time zone than the rest of his body.
LOVED JoJo and Jenna. And their 'ponytailography'. Jojo seems like such a genuinely nice person, but I don't think I'd be able to spend a long period of time in her company. She's a LOT. I'm guessing they've fallen into the age old 'they're scoring so well they probably don't need my votes, so I'll vote for someone I like a bit who isn't scoring so well'.

I didn't like JoJo and Jenna in the first few weeks, but now they're probably my favourite, along with Melora and Artem. Olivia and Jimmie would be in my next batch. Does anyone know why Jimmie insists on always wearing a bandana (not sure if it's called something else when it's worn on the head) all the time? Is it his 'thing'? I do wish he'd go without it, at least once.

Also, while Fashion Week was a weird concept, I think I would have preferred it to Janet Jackson night. No disrespect to Ms. Jackson, but I feel like it'll be like another Britney night, where all the songs end up sounding similar, and we're stuck between 2 different dance styles for the whole night.

Last edited:

screech

Did they change Fashion Week to Janet Jackson instead?
They announced it last night.

I kind of get Britney night (in support of Britney with all the struggles in her life the last 15 years, with all the renewed publicity and her win in court in September), and I get Queen night (this month is 30 years since Freddie Mercury's death), but I'm not sure why Janet? Heck, a Spice Girls night would make more sense, as this year marks 25 years since the release of their first album. Or an Elton John night, as he's doing his retirement tour (though maybe that'll be in a year or 2, since his tour continues until summer 2023)

BaileyCatts

I'd be good with NO theme nights. :lol:

While I get we will always have a Disney Night (which is fine, but geez change up the songs from year to year!), and Halloween Night (although the 'concept' this year was lame), we don't need any other theme nights. Just freaking DANCE to music that can actually be danced to.

Poor Suni. At first I thought she was running off to hug her family that was there. She did great for being that sick. I'm glad she made it thru.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm guessing they've fallen into the age old 'they're scoring so well they probably don't need my votes, so I'll vote for someone I like a bit who isn't scoring so well'.
I am puzzled about both Olivia and JoJo being in the bottom two.

Olivia has over a million followers on both YouTube and Instagram (almost 2 mil on YT) and a podcast on iHeart radio which is very popular and ubiquitous on the radio dial. JoJo has over ELEVEN MILLION followers on Instagram (not even going to check the others) and a profitable fashion empire.

I just can't imagine they aren't whipping up their followers to vote for them and guaranteeing them a trip to the finals. Olivia I could kind of see because of the Varsity Blues scandal and less followers. But JoJo? Something seems fake here.

Desperado

I’m sorry to see Witney go, her partner not so much. He was invested though and did dial his “other personality” down, which I appreciated.

Poor Suni, I felt so bad for her. She did great under the circumstances.

I really enjoy the choreographic work of Jenna, Val, and Daniella.

Last week someone here said they hoped the singers wouldn’t butcher the songs and... well, butchery ensued. :yikes:

screech

I really enjoy the choreographic work of Jenna, Val, and Daniella.
Apparently most of the pros use outside choreographers for their dances, at least for assistance.

Sometimes the use of an outside choreographer is due to timing - the pros are dancing, teaching, training constantly so don't always have the time to choreograph, so they use outside or retired pros to help out -the outside person choreographs (often with input from the pro, or the 'theme' given by the pro) and the pro teaches their partner. Some pros are also really good at dancing and teaching, but shite at choreography. I mean, most figure skating coaches don't also do choreography...

Sometimes it's due to choreographic skill, and sometimes it's because some of the pros don't have their background in some of the styles, so use the help to make sure the dance fits the style. For example, Lacey Schwimmer's background was in Swing, and Allison Holker's was contemporary.

mackiecat

Apparently most of the pros use outside choreographers for their dances, at least for assistance.

Sometimes the use of an outside choreographer is due to timing - the pros are dancing, teaching, training constantly so don't always have the time to choreograph, so they use outside or retired pros to help out -the outside person choreographs (often with input from the pro, or the 'theme' given by the pro) and the pro teaches their partner. Some pros are also really good at dancing and teaching, but shite at choreography. I mean, most figure skating coaches don't also do choreography...

Sometimes it's due to choreographic skill, and sometimes it's because some of the pros don't have their background in some of the styles, so use the help to make sure the dance fits the style. For example, Lacey Schwimmer's background was in Swing, and Allison Holker's was contemporary.
I think Val does most of his own. During the lockdown I was taking Val and Mak’s virtual classes. I then noticed during DWTS that he was reusing his choreography from these classes with his celebrity partner

screech

I believe I've actually read that Val is one of the ones who uses outside help, at least for the styles that are not 'his' style. Also, there have been times where his song/style have been announced, but he's unable to make the style work, so the show changes the style for him.
Also, Val's partners seem to get injured more often than some of the others...
Though Val has clout, and is undeniably talented, I think that he and Gleb (and Keo) would be bottom of my list for who I'd want to be paired with.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
She said it was Queen inspired, though I have no idea how. I thought she looked like a member of a futuristic pit crew (maybe it was metaphorical? Since with her as the show's 'queen', it has turned into a car crash.)

:rofl:
It might have been a nod to the robot on the cover of the News of the World album, but who knows....

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
She said it was Queen inspired, though I have no idea how. I thought she looked like a member of a futuristic pit crew (maybe it was metaphorical? Since with her as the show's 'queen', it has turned into a car crash.)
Your post made me think about one of their videos (can't remember the song) where they had similar suits on & they were crammed into some transport. I remember thinking the song didn't really fit the video.

screech

This just makes me realize how few Janet Jackson songs I know.

“Janet Jackson Night” Dancing with the Stars dance styles and songs

• Jimmie Allen and pro Emma Slater dancing the Cha Cha to “Escapade”
  • JoJo Siwa and pro Jenna Johnson dancing the Salsa to “Feedback”
  • Iman Shumpert and pro Daniella Karagach dancing the Cha Cha to “Rhythm Nation”
  • Olivia Jade and pro Val Chmerkovskiy dancing the Argentine Tango to “Any Time, Any Place”
  • Suni Lee and pro Sasha Farber dancing the Samba to “All For You”
  • Melora Hardin and pro Artem Chigvintsev dancing the Paso Doble to “If”
  • Amanda Kloots and pro Alan Bersten dancing Jazz to “Miss You Much”
  • Cody Rigsby and pro Cheryl Burke dancing the Paso Doble to “Black Cat”

Dance Offs
Salsa - "Made for Now (Latin Version)" - Judged by Bruno
- Jimmie & Emma vs Suni & Sasha (putting the married pros against each other!)

Rumba - "That's the Way Love Goes" - Judged by Carrie Ann
- JoJo & Jenna vs Olivia & Val (married couple again!)

Foxtrot - "Again" - Judged by Derek
- Iman & Daniella vs Melora & Artem

Cha Cha - "Together Again" - Judged by LEn
- Amanda & Alan vs Cody & Cheryl

love skating

Clueless American
Surprised there is no "Nasty" or "Control" programs. Maybe the Control album wasn't part of the licensed songs as none of them are being used?

Anyway, Hubbell & Donhue and Green & Parsons should enjoy this show! ;)

Jubak

I just watched the JoJo vs Oliva dance off and sorry, folks, JoJo didn't do much of anything while Jenna danced around her. Oliva did actually do the rhumba with Val, and I'm not even particularly in her corner. Why don't they just give the trophy to Jojo now as it's been obvious that that is what has been planned all along. Also see sloppy dancing compared to the British "Strictly" which I know I keep going on about, but none of the stuff out there would fly in the UK version (except maybe Oliva's rhumba this week) But would either of the rhumbas get past Shirley Ballas, who is the rhumba Queen and made it her specialty when she was dancing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information