Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

Susan1

There's actually a live audience this year, though. And I hate the effects, but I want to know what kind of vacuum or how many sweepers they have in the studio, to clear away the confetti every second couple uses at the end of their dance, in time for the next couple to take the floor.

And I've been over Carrie-Ann for about a decade. The least qualified and least helpful of all the judges. If they wanted a 'Fly Girl' as a judge, get Rosie Perez! Or Jennifer Lopez could guest judge one week, due to her Derek connection.

Also, Derek's going to be busy, doing a Vegas residency just for the period while DWTS is happening.
I thought it was just people's families in that one section. The little bit I saw, the sides where the audience would be sitting at individual tables was a bunch of vertical lights?

screech

Well... I'm thinking Tyra's $$$ investment in the show as one of its EPs probably got her the gig.
Was she made an EP before becoming host, or did she become host, and EP was included in her contract?

BaileyCatts

Was she made an EP before becoming host, or did she become host, and EP was included in her contract?
I think the second part of your statement is true from what I remember .... she was given the host job and it included being an EP as part of the contract.

Desperado

Thank you for bringing up the light issue! Peloton guy and Cheryl’s fushia coloured outfits also made my eyes burn under them.

I thought Witney, as is often the case, had the best costume. The less said about 2-personality guy, the better.

I did not know Sharna was dating BAG. I hardly recognized her. Her mouth is quite different.

DWTS started out not great, but improved every year for a while. Now it’s plateaud at a lesser level. I have no life right now, so I‘ll watch.

Debbie S

Great job by Cheryl and Cody, but I doubt either will be back next week. Cheryl has to quarantine for 10 days from the onset of symptoms and if Cody remains asymptomatic, he'll have to quarantine for 14 days unless they allow him to shorten the time with testing (I think I heard he is vaxxed). But I think even then, the minimum time is 7 days.

Tyra looked like she was about to be eaten by her dress.

Loved Suni and Sasha and Jojo and Jenna. Amanda and Alan had a nice dance too. Ringo's appearance for Mel C was awesome. :)

screech

Not sure how Cheryl/Cody are expected to take part next week, but I was impressed with their performance, considering it's a rehearsal. I may be misremembering, but IIRC in a previous season someone's rehearsal footage couldn't be judged because it wasn't done on the actual dance floor, and that person was eliminated?

Also, I'd love to see the screen in screen of the Judges reactions in EVERY performance!

Amanda was by far the best last night for me, though she needs to tone down her face a bit. Most underwhelming to me was Brian/Sharna. I wonder how long their relationship will keep them in the competition?

The judges scores seem really low the last couple of seasons. In other seasons, those getting 6s would be getting 7s for the same performances.

I forget whose rumba it was, but for someone you could see Bruno dancing along in the background, and I got major Brian Orser performing along with his students vibes. It made me smile.

And for a supermodel, Tyra sure doesn't pick great clothes to wear. Her first outfit made her look like she was wearing football player shoulder pads, and I don't know what to say about her second one...

Last edited:

screech

I don't know if it's feasible, but I think the only way they could do it is if they are together in one of their homes and record their performance via webcam, since they wouldn't be able to send a camera person.

Also, I'm assuming he'd been practicing with a sub (with Cheryl there via zoom), so whoever he'd been practicing with (maybe Britt since she was eliminated last week?) will also likely have to be isolated.

IMO this is a case where it sucks, but they will have to WD, no different than an unfortunate injury that takes someone out.

BaileyCatts

Wait a minute .... so Cheryl will dance in her house and Cody will dance in his house? Do I understand that correctly? Maybe I don't cause that just sounds stupid. :confused: Sorry they both got the CV but this should be handled like any other type of injury/health issue several others have had to deal with and they just have to withdraw. Thems the breaks 'n all.

screech

I think they're dancing together in Cheryl's house.

I may be a bit jaded, but IMO if the first person to test positive had been someone like Britt, Pasha, or Brandon, I have no doubt that they and their partner would have been forced to withdraw. Since Cheryl is a seasoned favourite of the producers, it seems like they're bending over backwards for her.
Dancing in the living room is in no way the same as dancing in front of the judges, with the lights, multiple camera angles, the bad Ray Chew covers of songs, and the (limited) audience, and should not be judged as an accurate representation. I personally don't think they should be allowed to continue under these performance circumstances.

screech

I have to say, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Olivia Jade. She was fantastic tonight. I also have huge respect for the way that she's not shying away from bringing up the college admissions scandal, but also isn't just focusing on it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'll say, Jojo lifting Jenna was...not bad at all. Better than many male celebs I've seen in all these years.
JoJo really leads. Which is more than a lot of the guys do.

I am so over the Cody-Cheryl thing. They should have been eliminated last week. At least they didn't get inflated judges scores for that mess of non-ballroom dancing they did.

Right now I feel like the best dancers, in no particular order, are JoJo, Jan from the Office, Suni, and Olivia. I'm meh on Christine. I find her dancing stiff and introverted.

ETA I wrote this before Christine was eliminated. :lol: And I realized I'd forgotten Mel C.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I'm meh on Olivia. I feel that none of the students in the college admission scandal suffered any punishment & in Olivia's case it just made her more "famous". All these students had to pose for their purported sports so all of them knew what was going on & all were old enough to know it was wrong. It's just one of the ways in which DWTS (or maybe I should call it the Tyra show) has been ruined.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm meh on Olivia. I feel that none of the students in the college admission scandal suffered any punishment & in Olivia's case it just made her more "famous". All these students had to pose for their purported sports so all of them knew what was going on & all were old enough to know it was wrong. It's just one of the ways in which DWTS (or maybe I should call it the Tyra show) has been ruined.
Completely agree, that was painful seeing Tyra come out dressed as a high school kid. Umm.... (((cringe)))

screech

While I was really impressed with what Cheryl and Cody were able to pull off, I had some issues with it. First off, if Cheryl had a 'wind machine' then Cody should have as well. That bugged me. They were limited to a tiny space, whereas every other team had to fill a large dance floor. They had one camera angle, everyone else has many. They danced from different spaces, whereas everyone else had to dance side by side/together, and there would have been more nitpicks for unison.

I honestly think this should not be allowed. The situation sucks, but they should have had to WD (and as mentioned above, grant Cody a spot next season). This is completely unfair to the other contestants. In season 21 Kim Zolciak had to WD because doctors didn't clear her to fly to LA. They weren't given the option to compete in different circumstances. Per that season's Wikipedia:
After suffering mini-stroke Kim Zolciak-Biermann was able to rehearse, but her doctors refused to clear her for air travel. As a result, she was unable to attend the dress rehearsal and the live show, which, according to the show's rules, meant she would have to withdraw from the competition.
So why were the rules changed for Cheryl/Cody?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information