Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

once_upon

Better off than 2020
JoJo was on some dance show, then in a Disney Series, had lots of stuff on You-Tube, a line of clothing including giantgatic bows, pre teen games, a dance video game. (She's from Omaha and my pre teen granddaughter is a JoJo fan). I'd say she a little more than an influencer.

screech

Brian was a panelist on The Masked Dancer for some reason... I still think that Sharna will probably be his partner, and even if not, she's probably already whipping him into shape.

Spice Girls didn't do a huge amount of intricate dancing, but I fully expect some back flips and sweat pants paired with crop tops from Mel C.

JoJo has seemingly confirmed Jenna is her partner

orbitz

It's kind of odd that the Petolon bike instructor Cody is considered a "celebrity" / "star". But he used to be a professional dancer, so I expect the judges to be impressed with his first dance.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
JoJo was on some dance show, then in a Disney Series, had lots of stuff on You-Tube, a line of clothing including giantgatic bows, pre teen games, a dance video game. (She's from Omaha and my pre teen granddaughter is a JoJo fan). I'd say she a little more than an influencer.
Okay, this cracked me up. "Some dance show" is Dance Moms which was a pop culture phenomenon! :lol:

But, yeah, she's a dancer and an actress, not just a brand.

It's kind of odd that the Petolon bike instructor Cody is considered a "celebrity" / "star". But he used to be a professional dancer, so I expect the judges to be impressed with his first dance.
Another former dancer, eh? What happened to the premise that we get people who never danced and teach them ballroom and see how far they can go? I kind of miss that.

screech

Another former dancer, eh? What happened to the premise that we get people who never danced and teach them ballroom and see how far they can go? I kind of miss that.
Me too. I feel like people complain more about the unfair advantage figure skaters get on the show than they do about dancers.
I also miss when Len used to be nitpicky about people breaking hold during the Quickstep and Tango. He doesn't complain about it much anymore.

As much as I don't like Tyra as host of the show, I'm looking forward to seeing what monstrosities she'll be wearing each week, as she treats the dance floor like her own runway.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Me too. I feel like people complain more about the unfair advantage figure skaters get on the show than they do about dancers.
I also miss when Len used to be nitpicky about people breaking hold during the Quickstep and Tango. He doesn't complain about it much anymore.

As much as I don't like Tyra as host of the show, I'm looking forward to seeing what monstrosities she'll be wearing each week, as she treats the dance floor like her own runway.
Tyra is a producer and it amuses me how much she tries to take all the attention away from the dancers.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just don’t bother with Tyra, Carrie Ann or Bruno. I schedule the show on my DVR and start watching when it’s more than half over. I watch the rehearsal packages, the dance, Derek’s comments, and the scores, then fast forward through everything else. Usually, I’m caught up by the end of the show.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I just don’t bother with Tyra, Carrie Ann or Bruno. I schedule the show on my DVR and start watching when it’s more than half over. I watch the rehearsal packages, the dance, Derek’s comments, and the scores, then fast forward through everything else. Usually, I’m caught up by the end of the show.
I do the same thing.

screech

Bruno at least sometimes has some valuable advice when he isn't overacting, and I believe he actually has ballroom and latin experience to draw from. Not too sure what Carrie Ann has to bring to a ballroom dance competition, and she can be incredibly harsh and sometimes catty towards the female celebrities.
Len and Derek are by far the best judges, though.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Bruno at least sometimes has some valuable advice when he isn't overacting, and I believe he actually has ballroom and latin experience to draw from. Not too sure what Carrie Ann has to bring to a ballroom dance competition, and she can be incredibly harsh and sometimes catty towards the female celebrities.
Len and Derek are by far the best judges, though.
Completely agree on Carrie, she's not as good as the other judges (even guest judges). I feel like all she does is squeal or complain. At least Len shares constructive criticism (ie what they're looking for and how to improve)

Susan1

First season ever I don't have any interest. I flipped over from The Voice and happened to see Suni Lee dance. The only other person I remotely know is Brian Austin Green, just because I remember him from being Abby's kid on Knots Landing. I know he's done other stuff. That's just what I think of when I hear his name. And Lori Loughlin's daughter - the "influencer"? Give me a break. There are a lot of sleazy "influencers" out there. She did look a lot like her mother though. How is Tyra still the host? Ironclad contract? I never saw many positive comments about her after last season.

screech

Based on just last night, there was IMO only one real 'dud' of a dancer, though I've got to give him credit. Compared to others, I thought Mel C was a bit underscored, and JoJo was overscored.
Weeks 2 and 3 seem to tell a more 'real' story of dancing skill, since they don't have as long to prepare as they do for week 1.
I also miss way back in the olden days when each week had just a few dance styles that were split among the competitors, instead of everyone doing something different.
I'm also happy that Bruno has kept his silver fox look this year.

BaileyCatts

..... How is Tyra still the host? Ironclad contract? I never saw many positive comments about her after last season.
She is also an executive producer of the show. It was part of the deal of her getting the host job. Unfortunately we are stuck with her until and unless she decides to walk away. :wall:

Loved Suni and so glad she got Sasha! :cheer2: She seems so timid and shy compared to when you watch competitions and all the gymnasts are so confident and fierce. Kinda forgot they really are just kids sometimes.

I was pleasantly surprised by the basketball player (is his name Iman? I forget). He will be entertaining.

Surprised by Olivia as well because when she did that little 'look what I learned' step on GMA I thought oh lordy she'll be clunky. She was pretty good. She will likely be around a while. And wow does she look like her mother. I kept seeing Aunt Becky every time I looked at her.

Good lord Martin Kove, bless his little heart. At least he tried and looked like he was having fun.

But the season has pretty much been decided. It will be a Bobby Bones type situation in which the media campaign behind JoJo will be such a force that absolutely no one else will have a chance to win. At least she can dance .... sort of. I would have had her 3rd on the night. Its all just jumpy cutsie look how fast I do things and I'm so perky. Ugh. I hate that.

Last edited:

screech

But the season has pretty much been decided. It will be a Bobby Bones type situation in which the media campaign behind JoJo will be such a force that absolutely no one else will have a chance to win. At least she can dance .... sort of. I would have had her 3rd on the night. Its all just jumpy cutsie look how fast I do things and I'm so perky. Ugh. I hate that.
I think that Quickstep was so fast that it was sloppy. Plus Jenna fell. Should not have received an 8. I was also kind of surprised they had JoJo in the 'male' role for the hold. I hope that now that they've discussed JoJo dancing with a same sex partner that they don't make a big deal of it every week. Just normalize it! Though it'll be interesting when they get to dances that allow lifts... Also makes me interested to see what it will be like when they eventually have 2 males dancing together.

I was a bit annoyed by the Peleton guy. Liked Suni, and I 100% agreed with the judges - she executes the dance well but shows no personality in her dance. She needs to 'perform'. I'm glad she got Sasha though. I was disappointed Mel got Gleb. I wish she'd received Artem or someone else. I was pleasantly surprised with Brian Austin Green, though I was irritated with their costumes. Separately they were nice (her dress was gorgeous), but the colours were close enough to be trying to match, but far enough to not match.

Firedancer

I thought most people did really well for the first week. I’m happy Suni is with Sasha and agree she needs to perform more.

I thought Melora Hardin and JoJo were overscored. With the overall sloppiness and the fall I definitely don’t think JoJo should have gotten an 8 or really even 7s.

Tyra looked ridiculous was annoying, as usual. I wish she would have left after last season.

screech

I'm not a fan of Tyra (we were definitely spoiled with Tom), but IMO her actual hosting and interaction with the contestants isn't terrible, it's the bits where she makes it They Tyra Show that are the problem. Like the costume changes. Or the fact that the show poster is a close up of her face.

I wish that if they felt they needed fresh blood for the host (WHY!?!?!) that they would have chosen another former competitor with hosting experience. Tyra just seems like they pulled a random name out of a hat. I mean Mario Lopez and Ricki Lake were right there! Or heck, Joey Fatone. The Osmonds. Alfonso Ribeiro...

screech

I've said that for a couple years. And the second year of fake crowd noise. Sheesh.
There's actually a live audience this year, though. And I hate the effects, but I want to know what kind of vacuum or how many sweepers they have in the studio, to clear away the confetti every second couple uses at the end of their dance, in time for the next couple to take the floor.

And I've been over Carrie-Ann for about a decade. The least qualified and least helpful of all the judges. If they wanted a 'Fly Girl' as a judge, get Rosie Perez! Or Jennifer Lopez could guest judge one week, due to her Derek connection.

Also, Derek's going to be busy, doing a Vegas residency just for the period while DWTS is happening.

vgerdes

I wish that if they felt they needed fresh blood for the host (WHY!?!?!) that they would have chosen another former competitor with hosting experience. Tyra just seems like they pulled a random name out of a hat.
Well... I'm thinking Tyra's $$$ investment in the show as one of its EPs probably got her the gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information