Concerns about the 2018 Winter Olympics

Willin

@Spiralgraph Considering the current response of people who make Trump mad (doubling down on whatever they did), I'm inclined to believe that they wouldn't care at all what his response was. I bet some would probably laugh at it - to his opponents, any angry, childish outburst he has about something meaningless in the grand scheme of things (ie. sports) is hilarious (or concerning because he should be caring about more important things).

I don't think the athletes would suffer at all. The US Government gives no funding to the USOC, and I don't think Trump donates money to them, so there'd be no funding for him to cut from it.

Japanfan

this is getting ridiculous

Beyond ridiculous - it is getting dangerous and frightening, and has become a threat to peace.

Trump should just shut his mouth, every response to the fat bully is playing into Kim's hands

He's such an idiot that he doesn't realize that. The two men are both immature and can't see beyond their own massive egos and insecurities. Consequently, it can no longer be assumed that the US will be the voice of reason in this matter.

As Hilary Clinton points out, this matter requires extensive and careful diplomacy. Trump is only escalating the situation. Someone needs to constrain him, for the sake of the world.

Last edited:

Rock2

I'm not convinced NK would start a war just cuz. Although they might not mind cutting their population in half to contain the drain on their resources and in a twisted way galvanize the remaining population over an enemy determined to destroy them.

I think the first strike is likely to happen as a US initiative. War is big business in the US and as Trump gets painted into a deeper and deeper corner as Mueller closes in for example, his approach will be to provoke NK into making the first move (e.g. shooting down US planes that are where they shouldn't be). This makes it look like the US is under attack. He can declare war, centralize powers to the WH and use the war as an almost neverending appeal to deprioritize everything else. War will also galvanize his knuckle-dragging base, who love nothing more than to throw their weight around, shout 'freedom!!' and 'we're number 1!!!"
Will have tons of advantages for Trump as he becomes increasingly desperate. I truly think it's Trump's current plan, to provoke NK into making the first move, positioning the US as a victim.

I can't believe the Olympics are a big deal for South Koreans so I'm not surprised ticket sales are low. Venues will be fairly empty. If I had been thinking of going, I would certainly have cancelled arrangements as of today. No interest in heading to that part of the world right now. Luckily the fallout of a bomb hitting Manhattan is unlikely to reach us in Toronto....

manhn

If given the opportunity, I would go to Seoul in a heartbeat. Besides the normal issues of costs, I have other reasons not to attend the Olympics (two hours just to get to venues? no thanks), but I would love to visit South Korea.

Tinami Amori

Beyond ridiculous - it is getting dangerous and frightening, and has become a threat to peace. He's such an idiot that he doesn't realize that.
---
As Hilary Clinton points out, this matter requires extensive and careful diplomacy. Trump is only escalating the situation. Someone needs to constrain him, for the sake of the world.

:D Tell me who the enemies are, and I will know who you are.. and the more I note who is Trump’s opposition and who thinks he is an idiot and why, the more I confirm that he brilliant. Not just in his personal life and business, in his two campaign strategies which fooled all and he won against all odds, but in the methods and tactics he is using with countries, entities and opposition.

Tough words towards N. Korean are exactly what’s required on many levels and for several purposes. I’ll skip on historic cultural differences in military and diplomacy tactics and results between Anglo-Saxon/Western world and the “East”.

N. Korea is not self-sufficient at this point to act on the extent of their threats. They have a large arsenal of chemical weapons produced outside of N. Korea, as well as plutonium, missile engines, and other equipment. These production facilities are constantly under surveillance, periodically are being destroyed and shipments to N. Korean intercepted, by entities outside of USA.

Last such chemical plant strike was as recent as few weeks ago. What is said in public and what pre-emptive measures are taking place are two different things.

Hillary Clinton is not capable of anything that does not stuffs her pockets or advances her politically. She is dishonest, corrupt, self-serving and turns on a dime when it suits her. She should be on trial, never mind emails, for Bengazhi lies and cover up with resulted in murders of US Diplomats.

Clintons had the White House for 8 years, and Obama for another 8 years. N. Korean issue was never solved. In 2013 N. Korea openly threatened Japan with a nuclear attack. Japan found the threat substantial enough to active PAC-3 missile interceptor systems.

In 2013 H. Clinton was Minister of Exterior in Obama’s administration. Obviously no results.

D

Deleted member 40371

Is this still a skate debate?
Read from the begin and what do you think... then if you are still not sure, start by asking the questions like 'is figure skating in Olympics?', what happens if this level of tensions maintains?, will countries stay away?, what happens to the skaters who have worked all their lives, partly for the Olympic glory?, then think again whether this is related to skating and should we discuss this hear, and other political implications directly affecting the Olympic games.

Rock2

What makes you think that NK's capabilities are sufficiently sophisticated so that a bomb intended for Manhattan (assuming they have that range) wouldn't hit Toronto instead? I don't think anyone, anywhere should be feeling comfortable right now.

Nope, no one's really safe. But given the bombs will only decimate an area of 10-15 sq mi, I feel my chances are pretty good not being within 800 miles of any expected target. :::::::: prayer emoji ::::::::

skatingguy

decently
Read from the begin and what do you think... then if you are still not sure, start by asking the questions like 'is figure skating in Olympics?', what happens if this level of tensions maintains?, will countries stay away?, what happens to the skaters who have worked all their lives, partly for the Olympic glory?, then think again whether this is related to skating and should we discuss this hear, and other political implications directly affecting the Olympic games.
I would say Hell must have frozen over, but it's way to hot here today. I don't think I've ever agreed with anything you've ever said, until now. :40beers:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No @Vash01. I saw @paskatefan's correction in her post #14 to which I was referring in my subsequent post. I have not been closely following this thread and I missed the quoted tag from you as well. I will 'like' your correction, if that helps, since I can't edit my original post for accuracy. ;)

No problem. It's easy to miss posts, even those related to one's own. Thanks for the Like.

chattila

So did France really withdraw from the 2018 Winter Olympics? So no Papadakis/Cizeron or James/Cipres? Bummer.

Seerek

I don't know if this is the thread to discuss, but some U.S. skaters have already said they would decline a visit to the White House if they made the Olympic team.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Every Olympics there are "concerns" expressed but except for 80 and 84 everyone shows up. Sochi there were concerns expressed about whether LGBT+ athletes would be safe. For Rio there was concern about crime and the water quality (especially for the athletes that had to swim in it). [And there always seems to be concerns with venues not being ready in time.]

I do think, to some extent, this situation is different, but I also think it's not yet at a state where athletes staying home is in order. It's possible in the next 4 months it might get there but I'd be surprised. There's no way NK is going to bomb SK when they are mad at the US. And the US isn't going to boycott the Olympics in SK just because they are mad at NK. They are two different countries!

skategal

Bunny mama
One threat to the Games comes if NK bombs Guam and the USA attacks NK and SK goes in with USA as ally.

Also, if USA decides to invade NK and get rid of NK and it's leader, they will most likely be looking towards having a unified Korea under current SK rule.

This is also a possible scenario and risk to the Games being disrupted.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If the USA decides to invade NK, it's going to take more than 4-5 months for that to play out. As for NK bombing Guam, if it does start WW III, then I expect the games to be canceled. But again, I can't see us going from today to WW III in 4-5 months. (I also can't see the US invading NK and taking out its leader; usually our nation-building is more subtle than that.)

chattila

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That works.

Vancouver has not made ANY indication that it is willing to step in this time.

And the indication in 2014 was not much more than a general suggestion. There certainly weren't venues lined up and ready to go - I doubt there was much, if any, advance planning in place. It would have been very difficult for Vancouver to take over on short notice.

lizafan

Wonderful news. Ryom/Kim may end up being the most famous figure skaters of these Games, if they secure one of the five spots at Nebelhorn. North Korea for top 5 - yeah!!!

Looks good for the moment. They're third after SP, among those who still have to qualify.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
After Day 1 of Nebelhorn, So happy that Ryom/Kim are poised to earn a Pairs spot for their country,

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information