College administration bribery scandal

millyskate

Sometimes I think the traditional French uni model wasn't all that bad.
You had to go to the one closest to your home, you'd get in automatically if you'd passed your BAC, you got a means-tested stipend to help you through, but once you were in the end of year exams were darn hard and if you hadn't worked hard or weren't suited to the subject you just failed, end of. Very many did and still do. French unis had no qualms about dishing out the 2/20 or 0.5/20 marks if the paper was poor, sometimes, to the whole class!
You'd get to try the next year again, and the year after that, but nobody was going to babysit you into passing. Having money didn't help you one iota, the students of the whole country still got to sit in graffiti-covered amphitheatres built in 1957 ish that sometimes still had ink-wells on the desks.
All exams were in-class on tables, hand-written. Or vivas where you picked the topic out of a hat going in. So plagiarism wasn't a thing at least...

It's been slowly moving away from that model in the past 15 years, but there was something very democratic about it.

Last edited:

Zemgirl

Sometimes I think the traditional French uni model wasn't all that bad.

It's been slowly moving away from that model in the past 15 years, but there was something very democratic about it.
Though that doesn't quite apply when you're looking at who is doing prepas and getting into the top grandes ecoles, right? Was that different in the past? People do still have to do the work and ace their exams to be considered for the more selective places, but I get the sense those admissions classes aren't the most diverse.

(I don't know how to do accents on this keyboard, sorry ;) )

millyskate

Though that doesn't quite apply when you're looking at who is doing prepas and getting into the top grandes ecoles, right? Was that different in the past? People do still have to do the work and ace their exams to be considered for the more selective places, but I get the sense those admissions classes aren't the most diverse.

(I don't know how to do accents on this keyboard, sorry ;) )
It is free and very much a pure competition based on raw academic ability though - a national ranking with nothing factored in apart from how much you scored on a very difficult test. And there are more and more access programs at the top "lycees" for prepa integration, giving people from low-performing schools a year to catch up before doing the 2 year admission course.
Low-income CROUS scholarships are available for those as well, just like they are for university.

Of course, the most selective courses will generally attract a majority of candidates from families where studying conditions are favourable. But at least, you can't really be priced out or denied an opportunity by an academically weaker candidate with more money...
You're right it's not a silver bullet but at least it mitigates some of the problems.

Zemgirl

Of course, the most selective courses will generally attract a majority of candidates from families where studying conditions are favourable. But at least, you can't really be priced out or denied an opportunity by an academically weaker candidate with more money...
You're right it's not a silver bullet but at least it mitigates some of the problems.
Yes, it's more of a systemic issue of who can afford to compete rather than who can afford to avoid competing entirely. More equal, but not perfect.

A couple of years ago I was at one of those schools when they were doing the final rounds of testing or interviews or whatever it is. I think I saw one black guy among the many young people in suits. I hope he made it.

My issues with test anxiety would have kept me out for sure.

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
So plagiarism wasn't a thing at least...
Maybe not 15 years ago (although I find that very hard to believe), but I can think of several studies in the last 10 years in which fairly high percentages of French university students were found to have plagiarized--not the highest percentage in European schools, but not the lowest, either.

Vagabond

You had to go to the one closest to your home, you'd get in automatically if you'd passed your BAC
That worked because the national government controlled tertiary education. That isn't remotely how things have ever worked in the U.S. The closest parallel I can think of here is the two-year community college system, where anyone with a high school diploma or the equivalent can enroll, usually either without paying for tuition or paying only a very small fee.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Important not to be missed headlines from the news this week --

"Lori Loughlin Regrets Khaki Pantsuit and Smiling So Much on Her Way to Court"

I guess I didn't realize the pantsuit was a big problem with her case. :lol:

Vagabond

Important not to be missed headlines from the news this week --

"Lori Loughlin Regrets Khaki Pantsuit and Smiling So Much on Her Way to Court"

I guess I didn't realize the pantsuit was a big problem with her case. :lol:
Were you expecting her to regret paying bribes and cheating on her taxes instead of regretting wearing the pantsuit? :confused:

#priorities

Last edited:

Vagabond

the government is recommending 15 months in prison, a year of supervised release, plus a fine of $95,000, restitution and forfeiture. The MacFarlane plea is relevant to Loughlin and Giannulli because of the level of the offense — that is, how much money was allegedly involved. Plus, the details of the allegations were quite similar.
:watch:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Lori Loughlin is reportedly "second-guessing" her decision to plead not guilty to bribery charges stemming from the massive college admissions scandal that rocked a number of high-profile California universities.
*** New USC Parent Charged in College Scam, Hinting at Wider Probe :
(I don't know why it says "Are you a robot?" but the link works okay)
The new charge appears to confirm the fears of some of Singer’s clients that prosecutors are aggressively pressing ahead with their investigation. Singer, who pleaded guilty and is cooperating with the U.S., has told authorities he had hundreds of clients. It’s unclear where the probe will lead, but several of those who have pleaded guilty are cooperating with the government.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)