Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

raruki

Sui and Han for Madame FIGARO

skatfan

Boyang Jin mentioned that he will train overseas this Olympic cycle.
Not know where he will go, probably Brain Orser or Rafael who have ties with CFSA.
(Wang/Liu will go back to Montreal this summer according to their fans.)

Seems like Brian and Tracy have room for some new skaters for their finishing school.

On My Own

What is Sina Visitor System?
Weibo.
Seems like Brian and Tracy have room for some new skaters for their finishing school.
Jin was already being coached by them online during the second half of 2020-21, and Ghislain mentioned he was helping him this season... This seems most likely.
Chinese sports authority is eyeing singles skating this Olympic cycle. They are now searching for the skaters who have the potential to land quads and gather all of them in an Eteri’s style training camp to practice quads.

I'm curious what the point of it is, but I suppose when China puts its mind into something, it achieves what it wants (see: gymnastics). Just a pity it took this long for them to wake up.

Did P/J say anything yet one way or the other? I think they're the only ones I know nothing about (along with the women's discipline as a whole, I guess, with Beverly getting into university - hoping An Xiangyi is getting coached in a good environment, and not what had surfaced, although I wasn't sure of the veracity of that article + not sure about Lin Shan or Chen Hongyi).

Oh speaking of weibo, it was heartwarming to see the pile of trash known as Chinese "yuzu-only" Fanyus harassing Jin and Sui so much, Jin went out of his way to talk about it in an interview. I cannot imagine reading their garbage on a daily basis, and wonder if they contribute to the lack of popularity of skating in China with their constant harassing and bullying of any skater and skating fan, and running to twitter to lie and spread rumours and their poison. Would rather a skater had zero fans than fans like them, and that the sport fell into rot than take their money.

Last edited:

raruki

I'm curious what the point of it is, but I suppose when China puts its mind into something, it achieves what it wants (see: gymnastics). Just a pity it took this long for them to wake up.
I think the biggest reason why the Chinese sports authority is "eyeing" singles skating is that Beverly Zhu "embarrassed" them a lot during the Beijing Olympics by spending millions of dollars on her but not achieving anything they wanted, and causing nationwide controversy about whether she used her father’s status and power to influence the result of the Olympic trials. They need to mend it with the order of the upper management to “save their faces.”

Did P/J say anything yet one way or the other?
I heard that P/J got internships to work with Xue Shen in CFSA.

I guess, with Beverly getting into university - hoping An Xiangyi is getting coached in a good environment, and not what had surfaced, although I wasn't sure of the veracity of that article + not sure about Lin Shan or Chen Hongyi
Beverly Zhu will go to Peking University to study. Lin Shan will go back to the US to study and she has been admitted by UPenn. Hongyi Chen is now an influencer on the Chinese internet. Xiangyi An is now busy with the high school entrance examination in Beijing. I heard that Xiangyi An would not attend the JGP series next season due to the very strict quarantine measures of China, really a shame.

On My Own

Beverly Zhu will go to Peking University to study. Lin Shan will go back to the US to study and she has been admitted by UPenn. Hongyi Chen is now an influencer on the Chinese internet. Xiangyi An is now busy with the high school entrance examination in Beijing. I heard that Xiangyi An would not attend the JGP series next season due to the very strict quarantine measures of China, really a shame.
So no women on the team at all?? I didn't know Lin was going back to the US, did she just come to the Chinese team for one cycle? Very strange, and Zhu stays on.

Also, is An Xiangyi not eligible for seniors yet? She would have been another one suited for foreign coaching, since (according to TSL rumours) Orser is scouting for new students in various countries.

Would be sad if P/J really retire without a single worlds or olympics medal, but I suppose if the management is what it is, it might be better to save themselves (horrifying to read/listen to what Jin and Sui/Han were saying, didn't find any of P/J's since they weren't being posted on twitter and refused to troll through weibo for them). I will always say they were robbed at 2019 Saitama. (ETA: Still... while I think the best coaching ideally would be from the Chinese coaches themselves, it would be nice to see P/J go to Meagan since she can probably be more protective of them, and they already have all the talent to start winning major medals)

Last edited:

raruki

Would be sad if P/J really retire without a single worlds or olympics medal, but I suppose if the management is what it is, it might be better to save themselves (horrifying to read/listen to what Jin and Sui/Han were saying, didn't find any of P/J's since they weren't being posted on twitter and refused to troll through weibo for them). I will always say they were robbed at 2019 Saitama.
CFSA is now having new management. Although the chairwoman of CFSA is still Xue Shen, the actual leader of CFSA is another person called Shoulong Yuan, who is assigned by the Chinese sports authority to turn Xue Shen into a mere figurehead. So, Xue Shen offers internships to P/J because she wants to have her team bigger enough to counter the new leader. SO, workplace politics.

But, P/J is not easy to retire. We just don't have any pair teams right now to fight for the next Olympic cycle.

Also, is An Xiangyi not eligible for seniors yet? She would have been another one suited for foreign coaching, since (according to TSL rumours) Orser is scouting for new students in various countries.
Her mom doesn't want her to train overseas.

On My Own

^OK, hope P/J somehow get sent to Meagan. Clearly, if they're getting "Eteri-style" coaching for new prospects, got a big sponsor as you say in another thread, and are willing to send Jin to foreign coaching, I can cross my fingers for this. And for better management of athlete health... especially the Eteri-style coached ones.

On My Own

And I hope Chen Yudong is invested into, along with the Liu/Ge ID team... I'll assume they won't be investing externally in pairs like Wang/Huang or Zhang/Yang (well, fingers crossed the new management is better, because China certainly has good pair coaches) or their women if they're going to be doing the Eteri style training.

raruki

Probably because if she trained overseas her mom couldn't do all the crazy stuff she does.
Her mom mentioned that Nini is very dependent on her own physio teams which she has spent millions of yuan every year. It would be very expensive for her to let her physio teams train with her overseas, and she doesn't want to find another one in another country.

Xiangyi An is also a self-funded skater. Objectively speaking, if she wants to train overseas, she might have to face a lot of administrative barriers from the management of local and central sports authorities compared to those naturalized skaters or state-funded skaters.

Sylvia

TBD

On My Own

I saw that Beverly is rehearsing for some show with the rest of Team China, so maybe she's not retired, and will be juggling skating with university? (Don't think Sui/Han were in the video though, probably taking time off from all the fluff, too)

Sylvia

TBD
Exclusive interview with Sui Wenjing: I want to be a choreographer (includes a 12-min. video in which she speaks pretty good English in her interview :)):
On her future plans, the two-time world champion hasn't decided whether to compete in Milan Winter Olympics in 2026, but said she wants to be a figure skating choreographer after retirement.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I didn't see this May 3rd China Daily video interview of Sui/Han posted in this thread (includes English subtitles):
Interview is summarized here:
I knew you'd find the Chinese thread @Sylvia! Thank you. I searched for it - advanced search, key word Chinese, titles only - and got nothing! 😂
ETA Oops, meant to respond to your other post #1462.

On My Own

Yes, but neither are anywhere near a rink as far as I can tell per their IGs - and Wang/Liu also said they planned to return to Montreal, which hasn't happened yet, which is part of why I've marked them as unconfirmed for the GP/next season.
Does anyone know what's happening lol? I saw W/L were at another ice show (with P/J and Zhu Yi), but Jin Boyang wasn't there this time. And they already announced the schedule of local competitions (starting in late August). It would be sad if they still decide to do literally nothing about their skaters.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Which is this "another thread"?

@oubik 's post in the retirement announcement thread.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

CFSA posted this announcement about JGP selection yesterday, in which it says they plan to send skaters to JGP Ostrava and JGP Grenoble. (China has 1 entry for all 4 disciplines at these two events. There's also a pairs entry quota at JGP Gdansk but guess they don't intend to use it.) The selection will be based on the recorded FS/FD videos skaters sent.

Two skaters/teams will be selected for each discipline and each skater/team will get 1 event. There will also be two selected alternate skaters/teams.

ETA: The videos for selection will be broadcasted on July 25 at 10AM.

Last edited:

On My Own

CFSA posted this announcement about JGP selection yesterday, in which it says they plan to send skaters to JGP Ostrava and JGP Grenoble. (China has 1 entry for all 4 disciplines at these two events. There's also a pairs entry quota at JGP Gdansk but guess they don't intend to use it.) The selection will be based on the recorded FS/FD videos skaters sent.

Two skaters/teams will be selected for each discipline and each skater/team will get 1 event. There will also be two selected alternate skaters/teams.
Thank you Gris! Anything about the seniors?

raruki

ETA: The videos for selection will be broadcasted on July 25 at 10AM.
Sounds like they are doing their jobs, but the fact is the whole thing is just another bullsh*t.
They posted the announcements very late while most of the junior skaters didn't have enough time to prepare.
But the most disgusting thing for me is certainly they don't want to spend a single penny on them, they are just asking the skaters, their own provincial teams or local clubs, or their parents to cover all the costs if they are selected to participate in the JGP. Given the fact that it is very difficult and also extremely expensive to travel abroad due to the stupid Covid regulation in China, how on earth let all of these stakeholders manage all the things of their own while your authorities and the associations do nothing to help them but “literally gather them”?:mad:
If you don't have the heart or any intention to send any athletes to compete internationally, just quit and don't send anyone.
I have already heard that Team China might skip the Whole GP season, and Boyang Jin, Wang/Liu, and the others who want to keep competing for the next Olympic cycle still don't have their new programs choreographed at this moment.:angryfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information