2022 Grand Prix Assignments - when do they come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
@Karen-W - to clarify: The new pair of Emmanuelle Proft/Nicolas Nadeau are not currently registered for the Quebec Summer Championships competition (not Sectionals) in early August. P/N are listed in Patinage Quebec's Team B with Kelly Ann Laurin/Loucas Ethier & Élizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@Karen-W - to clarify: The new pair of Emmanuelle Proft/Nicolas Nadeau are not currently registered for the Quebec Summer Championships competition (not Sectionals) in early August. P/N are listed in Patinage Quebec's Team B with Kelly Ann Laurin/Loucas Ethier & Élizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve.
Thanks, Sylvia! I should have checked your update in the Canadian pairs thread more carefully last night, lol.

airgelaal

With those in the top 24 being guaranteed a spot - how do those who can’t compete/have retired factor into that?

For instance, do we strike off all the russians on the list and move everyone up to see the actual top 24 for GP assignments? or do you only get the guaranteed spot if you’re on the original top 24 list?
It's impossible to know. Only the federation has the correct list of skaters from their country.

euterpe

Russia won't host an event in this year's ISU GP. Instead, Russia is in the stages of planning a 6-event Russian GP, in competition with the ISU. Presumably, then, Russia will not nominate skaters to the ISU GP and all their skaters will compete in the Russian GP.

That leaves a lot of empty slots in every discipline for the ISU GP. Last season, Russian competitors included 9 men (filling 13 spots), 9 women (15 spots), 7 pairs (13 spots), 7 dance teams (10 spots).

Karen-W

Russia won't host an event in this year's ISU GP. Instead, Russia is in the stages of planning a 6-event Russian GP, in competition with the ISU. Presumably, then, Russia will not nominate skaters to the ISU GP and all their skaters will compete in the Russian GP.

That leaves a lot of empty slots in every discipline for the ISU GP. Last season, Russian competitors included 9 men (filling 13 spots), 9 women (15 spots), 7 pairs (13 spots), 7 dance teams (10 spots).
The new ISU President has stated that the ISU Council's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian skaters from ISU competitions indefinitely still stands, so Russia won't be ALLOWED to nominate skaters to the ISU GP until the ban is lifted.

Furthermore, if we go by the example of Calalang/Johnson last season where they weren't in the initial GP selection pool due to her WADA suspension, and couldn't be added to the GP selection pool because they didn't win any of the early Challengers, the only assignment they could receive was the SkAm host spot - that might be what happens to the Russian & Belarusian skaters should the ban be lifted by September or October. That would be sort of amusing, to see Russia scrambling to send their best skaters off to a bunch of Challengers - and make no mistake, the RFSF would absolutely let their skaters take a pass on their internal Russian GP series if an ISU GP assignment came their way. Not that I expect that to happen. The earliest I think we'll see Russia/Belarus back is Euros, but maybe not even then.

Karen-W

@Karen-W Keegan has said he's continuing, and it sounds like he's planning to do the GP.

Jason recently commented on a video Elladj posted of a back flip, saying "I wanna try" and Keegan responded "If you're not done ill bring my harness to a grand prix if we Share one!"
Thanks. I'll update the post I made last night.

barbarafan

The only way for Russian skaters to compete this coming season will be for Russia to sign a comprehensive peace treaty with Ukraine and clear up everything related to :grandpa: .

Easy, no?
How about if Putin dies shortly....as some media is saying.....or if he is helped to that end?

Karen-W

Wang/Liu and Jin Boyang have said they intend to train this season - although they haven't said anything about the GP, I guess.
Yes, but neither are anywhere near a rink as far as I can tell per their IGs - and Wang/Liu also said they planned to return to Montreal, which hasn't happened yet, which is part of why I've marked them as unconfirmed for the GP/next season.

Karen-W

Confused about what happened to the German Pairs especially since Hase wishes to continue with a new partner, whereas Seegert is "leaving his options open".

Seegert is 29. I think he probably was willing to take it season by season whereas Minerva definitely wants to go another 4 years. From her perspective, I suppose it makes sense to start the quad from scratch with a new partner (if she can find one) than continue with Nolan if he's uncertain - and they pretty much reached their ceiling when you consider how shaky he is on their lifts and SBS jumps.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Seegert is 29. I think he probably was willing to take it season by season whereas Minerva definitely wants to go another 4 years. From her perspective, I suppose it makes sense to start the quad from scratch with a new partner (if she can find one) than continue with Nolan if he's uncertain - and they pretty much reached their ceiling when you consider how shaky he is on their lifts and SBS jumps.
They r a couple in life though, yes?

Have K&F announced if they r continuing? What about J&R?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Confused about what happened to the German Pairs especially since Hase wishes to continue with a new partner, whereas Seegert is "leaving his options open".

Oh Dear.... just read this tweet. Cant beleive this either.. There have been some teams with much success this past year and just ended it as they r rising! L&M, CG&LD, this team.... I hope J&R continue and K&F.

Also that Russian team I was loving..I think 2 Russian teams I was loving ended it......

Sylvia

TBD
ANL - from earlier in this thread:
According to Phil Hersh Mariah and K/F want to skate on the grand prix. Nathan and Vincent do not.
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1537142422047793155?s=21&t=cKd0mocDEYTFNNz8bu6w0g
Knierim/Frazier have not announced anything themselves yet. Bell had said in an interview during the SOI tour that she might continue this coming season.

FWIW, James/Radford are no longer listed in the updated ISU World Standings (neither they nor Skate Canada has announced anything yet).

ETA:
They r a couple in life though, yes?
No. Minerva Hase's boyfriend is a pro basketball player in Berlin, Germany: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce_tM-pI0q2/

Last edited:

sus2850

( deleted, Sorry, did not read to the end of Sylvia‘s post…)

Last edited:

Karen-W

Updated based on today's announcements:

Legend
* = Guaranteed 2 assignments
** = Guaranteed 1 assignment
Red = not yet confirmed to be competing this fall
Green = currently suspended due to WADA violation
Blue = confirmed/most likely competing Junior next fall
Violet = possibly competing Junior next fall

Men -
*Seeded 1-6 - Uno, Kagiyama, Kvitelashvili, Pulkinen, Tomono, Grassl
*Seeded 7-12 - Siao Him Fa, Malinin, Rizzo, Aymoz, Sadovsky, Vasiljevs (Messing would move up to seeded status if Kvitelashvili isn't doing the GP this fall)
**WS Top 24 - Brown, Messing, J. Cha, Hanyu, Levandi, Ma, Chiu, M. Selevko
**SB Top 24 - Jin, Sato
Jr Worlds Top 3 & SB Top 75 - Shaidorov, Tsuboi
SB Top 75 - Miura, Yamamoto, Miyake, Kerry, Litvintsev, Frangipani, A. Selevko, Lee, Shimada, Zandron, Egadze, Honda, Gogolev, Reshtenko, Orzel, Hiwatashi, Majorov, Britschgi, Carrillo, Shmuratko, Starostin, Circelli, Memola, Sjoberg, Kapeikis, Newberry, Guarino Sabate
Eligible for Host Spots - Virtanen (presuming Finland gets one of the open GPs), Economides, Le May

Women
*Seeded 1-6 - Sakamoto, Hendrickx, Bell, You, Gubanova, Lee
*Seeded 7-12 - Chen, Ryabova, Schott, Higuchi, Schizas, Kurakova (Mikutina would move up to seeded status if Chen isn't doing the GP this fall)
**WS Top 24 - Mihara, Y. Kim, Thorngren, Petrokina, Matsuike, A. Shin
**SB Top 24 - Levito
Injury/SB Top 75 & Eligible for Host Assignments - Kihira, Tennell
SB Top 75 - Kawabe, Kiibus, Glenn, Yun, M. Kim, C. Kim, Wi, Lim, Park, Pinzarrone, Yokoi, Mikutina, Seo, Kitromilis, Paganini, Izzo, Ruiter, Andrews, Repond, Daleman, Ziegler, van Zundert, Brezinova, Sumiyoshi, Ji, Zhu, Serna, Wang, Sauter, Peltonen, Saarinen, Schumacher
Eligible for Host Assignments - Mazzara, Ounasvuori, Ceder (both assuming Finland gets one of the open GPs)

Pairs -
*Seeded 1-6 - Knierim/Frazier, Miura/Kihara, Safina/Berulava, Walsh/Michaud, Kovalev/Kovalev, Danilova/Tsiba
*Seeded 7-10 - none - only 6 teams left from Worlds that aren't retired or split
**WS Top 24 - Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Chan/Howe, Barquero/Zandron, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Conti/Macii, Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore (if the WS Top 24 is updated to remove LuMit, DMGuar, H/S and ZieKie who are all confirmed splits or permanent retirements then both McBeath/Bartholomay and Matte/Ferland would move onto this list)
**SB Top 24 - Metelkina/Parkman
Jr Worlds Top 3 & SB Top 75 - McIntosh/Mimar
SB Top 75 - Matte/Ferland, McBeath/Bartholomay, Hocke/Kunkel, Zukova/Bidar, Smirnova/Siianytsia, Roscher/Schuster, Sierova/Khobta, Holichenko/Darenskiy, Caldara/Maglio, Chernyshova/Windsor, Crafoord/Crafoord
Eligible for Host Assignments - Proft/Nadeau, Laurin/Ethier, Thibodeau-Mailhot/Villenueve, Zabiako/Daleman, Keriven/Bouvart, Piegad/Strekalin, Collier/Mitrofanov, Hanns/Neudecker, Plazas/Fernandez

Dance -
*Seeded 1-6 - Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, Fear/Gibson, Hawayek/Baker, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
*Seeded 7-10 - Reed/Ambrulevicius, Lajoie/Lagha, Turkkila/Versluis, Taschlerova/Taschler (Kazakova/Reviya would move up to seeded status if GilPoir aren't doing the GP this fall)
**WS Top 24 - Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Lopareva/Brissaud, Muramoto/Takahashi, Soucisse/Firus, Nazarova/Nikitin, Brown/Brown, Wang/Liu, Wolfkostin/Chen, Bashynska/Beaumont (if the WS Top 24 is updated to remove Mueller/Dieck then Harris/Chan would move onto this list)[/COLOR]
**SB Top 24 - none (all are either seeded or WS Top 24)
SB Top 75 - Orihara/Pirinen, Kazakova/Reviya, Bratti/Somerville, Komatsubara/Koleto, Fabbri/Ayer, Pate/Bye, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Janse van Rensburg/Steffan, Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Lauriault/Le Gac, Cesanek/Yehorov, Harris/Chan, Demougeot/Le Mercier, Lagouge/Caffa, Sales/Wamsteeker, Ling/Wein, Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy, McNamara/Spiridonov, Chen/Sun, Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky, Polibina/Golovishnikov, Grimm/Savitskiy, Lim/Quan, Kudryavtseva/Karankevich, Ignateva/Szemko

Last edited:

lauravvv

Oh Dear.... just read this tweet. Cant beleive this either.. There have been some teams with much success this past year and just ended it as they r rising! L&M, CG&LD, this team.... I hope J&R continue and K&F.
I am especially surprised, shocked even, about Lu/Mitrofanov (which I found out about just now from this thread). I am not american, but they looked like they were going to be the future of US in pairs (and perhaps not only of US), and I was looking forward to watching their rise 🤷🏼‍♀️🙁.

Sylvia

TBD
@lauravvv Audrey Lu will be attending UCLA this fall (believe on a scholarship): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdHSHX2rKV8/
She graduated as the salutatorian of her high school class in Texas 2 years ago.

ETA that I'm glad that she & Misha ended their partnership on a high note (winning 4CC). He wrote this tribute to her on his Instagram back on April 4:
Audrey, the best partner I could ever dream of, and an even better friend, has decided to pursue her academic ambitions and attend the University of California, Los Angeles in the fall. I wish you all the best and can’t wait for you to soar (pun intended) in the academic world.

Last edited:

oubik

ISU updated the World Standings today (June 17), removing 2019/20 points and reducing the 2020/21 points to 70%.

Men: https://results.isu.org/ws/ws/wsmen.htm
Women: https://results.isu.org/ws/ws/wswomen.htm
Pairs: https://results.isu.org/ws/ws/wspairs.htm (James/Radford are no longer listed -- ditto for Moore-Towers/Marinaro -- but quite a few teams that have since split are still listed (ETA in the top 24): Cain/LeDuc (retired), Lu/Mitrofanov, Della Monica (she retired)/Guarise, Ziegler/Kiefer (retired), Artemeva/Nazarychev, Kadyrova/Balchenko.)
Ice Dance: https://results.isu.org/ws/ws/wsdance.htm (newly retired Hubbell/Donohue were removed)
Sylvia,

federations are only now confirming the skaters who are willing to take part on Grand Prix, or retiring, splitting, taking year off and/or staying juniors. So we would know of more WS drop outs later including those you have mentioned.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @oubik! Moving your comment about the GP selection meeting to this thread:
Should be moved to first days of July since the last GP (for cancelled China) is not decided yet. So last GP first and then the GP Organizing Group is sitting around table (or WiFi) and selecting skaters/teams.

@Karen-W, I just realized that Luis Schuster (you have Roscher/Schuster's names in violet) turned 21 last month so has aged out of ISU Junior: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106011.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information