2022 Grand Prix Assignments - when do they come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
On the 2022 Skate America website: "Athletes participating in the ISU Grand Prix Series will be announced in June 2022."

FWIW, 4 years ago the assignments were announced at the end of June.

I guess we could turn this thread into another "GP projected assignments" thread in the meantime? ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
On the 2022 Skate America website: "Athletes participating in the ISU Grand Prix Series will be announced in June 2022."

FWIW, 4 years ago the assignments were announced at the end of June.

I guess we could turn this thread into another "GP projected assignments" thread in the meantime? ;)
We could, but until we know who the hosts of the 2 TBA GP events are, projecting assignments might prove difficult.
Pretty much every Senior skater with the TES minimums who isn't from Russia or Belarus, innit? ;)
In Pairs, pretty much. There are still plenty of men, women and dance teams to choose from, even with retirements or skaters "taking time off from competing" factored into the picture.

Dobre

Pretty much every Senior skater with the TES minimums who isn't from Russia or Belarus, innit? ;)
No, I don't think there's that much room, even though there will be a lot. If I pencil in dance teams, I only get down to about Sales & Wamsteeker (team 54) on the SB list even if I brutally take out 5 teams as possible unannounced retirements/splits/sitting out. (There's one or two more teams I wonder if might be done, but also one-to-three of the other five that I'm hopeful may skate the GP). Then, of course, you usually have a few unanticipated health-related issues. But no, I don't think every senior dance team with the TES minimums will get in.

*In my penciling in, I also took out one U.S. dance team above S&W because I've never seen a country get more than 8 teams onto the GP.

Last edited:

Karen-W

No, I don't think there's that much room, even though there will be a lot. If I pencil in dance teams, I only get down to about Sales & Wamsteeker (team 54) on the SB list even if I brutally take out 6 teams as possible unannounced retirements/splits/sitting out. (There's one or two more teams I wonder if might be done, but also one-to-three of the other six that I'm hopeful may skate the GP). Then, of course, you usually have a few unanticipated health-related issues. But no, I don't think every senior dance team with the TES minimums will get in.

*In my penciling in, I also took out one U.S. dance team above S&W because I've never seen a country get more than 8 teams onto the GP.
Same. But, it's also not factoring in teams that are all but guaranteed to get host spots - like a potential Morozov/Naryzhnyy skating for France. Also, it's not a TES min, but a Total Score min for the GP and it's 60% of the current World Champs' total score.

So far - here are the skaters/teams who are seeded from Worlds, SB Top 24, WS Top 24 (projected - assuming that 2019-20 points are dropped and 2020-21 are dropped to 70%), and SB Top 75 who are confirmed to be continuing next season:

Dance - 37+9 = 46 teams for 60 spots
Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, Fear/Gibson, Hawayek/Baker, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Reed/Ambrulevicius, Lajoie/Lagha, Turkkila/Versluis, Taschlerova/Taschler, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Lopareva/Brissaud, Muramoto/Takahashi, Soucisse/Firus, Mueller/Dieck, Brown/Brown, Bashynska/Beaumont, Orihara/Pirinen, Kazakova/Reviya, Bratti/Somerville, Komatsubara/Koleto, Fabbri/Ayer, Pate/Bye, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Janse van Rensburg/Steffan, Lauriault/Le Gac, Cesanek/Yehorov, Wolfkostin/Chen, Harris/Chan, Demougeot/Le Mercier, Ling/Wein, Nosovitskaya/Nosovitsky, Chen/Sun, Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky, Polibina/Golovishnikov, Ignateva/Szemko
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Papadakis/Cizeron, Gilles/Poirier, Nazarova/Nikitin, Wang/Liu, Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Lagouge/Caffa, Sales/Wamsteeker, McNamara/Spiridonov, Tessari/Walker

Pairs - 23+6+7 = 36 teams for 48 spots
Miura/Kihara, Safina/Berulava, Hase/Seegert, Walsh/Michaud, Kovalev/Kovalev, Danilova/Tsiba, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Chan/Howe, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Conti/Macii, Metelkina/Parkman, Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore, McIntosh/Mimar, Matte/Ferland, McBeath/Barthlomay, Hocke/Kunkel, Zukova/Bidar, Smirnova/Siianytsia, Roscher/Schuster, Sierova/Khobta, Holichenko/Darenskiy, Chernyshova/Windsor, Crafoord/Crafoord
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Knierim/Frazier, James/Radford, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Wang/Huang, Caldara/Maglio
Teams eligible for Host spots - Proft/Nadeau, Zabiako/Daleman, Keriven/Bouvart, Piegad/Strekalin, Collier/Mitrofanov, Hanns/Neudecker, Plazas/Fernandez

Women - 40+9 = 49 skaters for 72 spots
Sakamoto, Hendrickx, You, Gubanova, H. Lee, Ryabova, Schott, Higuchi, Schizas, Kurakova, Mihara, Y. Kim, Thorngren, Petrokina, Matsuike, Levito, Kawabe, A. Shin, Kiibus, Glenn, M. Kim, C. Kim, Park, Pinzarrone, Yokoi, Mikutina, Seo, Paganini, Ruiter, Andrews, Repond, Ziegler, van Zundert, Brezinova, Sumiyoshi, Ji, Serna, Peltonen, Saarinen, Schumacher
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Bell, Chen, Lim, Kitromilis, Izzo, Daleman, Zhu, Wang, Sauter

Men - 44+8 = 52 skaters for 72 spots
Uno, Kagiyama, Pulkinen, Tomono, Grassl, Siao Him Fa, Malinin, Rizzo, Aymoz, Sadovsky, Vasiljevs, J. Cha, Levandi, Ma, Chiu, M. Selevko, Sato, Shaidorov, Tsuboi, Miura, Yamamoto, Miyake, Litvintsev, Frangipani, A. Selevko, S. Lee, Shimada, Zandron, Egadze, Gogolev, Reshtenko, Orzel, Hiwatashi, Phan, Britschgi, Carrillo, Shmuratko, Starostin, Circelli, Memola, Sjoberg, Kapeikis, Newberry, Guarino Sabate
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Kvitelashvili, Brown, Messing, Hanyu, Jin, Kerry, Honda, Majorov

Last edited:

Dobre

Same. But, it's also not factoring in teams that are all but guaranteed to get host spots - like a potential Morozov/Naryzhnyy skating for France.
They couldn't compete on the GP without sitting out a season. A possible team like Galyavieva & Polizoakis could compete, but I have 3 teams penciled in for France anyway.

I gave back three host spots in my simulation. (That third spot is particularly dicey. Two might be the wiser estimate, but of course, it's impossible to do anything but guess until we know what host countries have applied). All of this is going with the optimistic outlook that two new host countries will apply.

Last edited:

Karen-W

They couldn't compete on the GP without sitting out a season. A possible team like Galyavieva & Polizoakis could compete, but I have 3 teams penciled in for France anyway).
I forgot they were both on the GP this season with their previous partners! The earliest we can expect to see them would be Euros, lol.
I gave back three host spots in my simulation. (That third spot is particularly dicey. Two might be the wiser estimate, but of course, it's impossible to do anything but guess until we know what host countries have applied). All of this is going with the optimistic outlook that two new host countries will apply.
Well, we know Finland has applied. And, I kind of expect that Hungary will also - they did last year and they're always applying to host ISU Championships, lol. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think Italy applied - they're hosting the GPF, but that's not the same as hosting a GP and being able to assign their own skaters to host spots. And, of course, who knows if Korea or some other Asia/Oceania federation applied.

Dobre

Checked my simulation again, and actually I gave back 4 spots. Again, two might be the wiser estimate if Italy is selected. Italy's dance field, particularly in juniors, had a lot of problems last season + I was being brutal and cutting Guignard & Fabbri even though I'm hopeful they'll compete. But if Italy applies and if Guignard & Fabbri compete, Italy could field all three teams.

Dobre

Looking at Karen's list, I mentally nixed a couple other lower-ranked teams that I was thinking were done. Now that I run an FSU search, I'm not finding anything so . . . the cut off could be a little higher even if all of the 5 teams I purposely left out don't skate. (Or more teams could have only one berth. There are a lot of teams with GP host countries in this zone).

Karen-W

Checked my simulation again, and actually I gave back 4 spots. Again, two might be the wiser estimate if Italy is selected. Italy's dance field, particularly in juniors, had a lot of problems last season + I was being brutal and cutting Guignard & Fabbri even though I'm hopeful they'll compete. But if Italy applies and if Guignard & Fabbri compete, Italy could field all three teams.
Yes, Moscheni/Fioretti aren't on the SB Top 75 list, but if Italy hosts a GP then they'll most assuredly get a host spot along with Guignard/Fabbri and Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky.
Looking at Karen's list, I mentally nixed a couple other lower-ranked teams that I was thinking were done. Now that I run an FSU search, I'm not finding anything so . . . the cut off could be a little higher even if all of the 5 teams I purposely left out don't skate. (Or more teams could have only one berth. There are a lot of teams with GP host countries in this zone).
It really is hard to project until we know who the final two hosts are. Orihara/Pirinen, Komatsubara/Koleto, Muramoto/Takahashi, all the French, Canadian and US teams, plus the German teams, Kazakova/Reviya... I mean, it's possible that Georgia could bid to host a GP, right?

Evgeniafan

Same. But, it's also not factoring in teams that are all but guaranteed to get host spots - like a potential Morozov/Naryzhnyy skating for France. Also, it's not a TES min, but a Total Score min for the GP and it's 60% of the current World Champs' total score.

So far - here are the skaters/teams who are seeded from Worlds, SB Top 24, WS Top 24 (projected - assuming that 2019-20 points are dropped and 2020-21 are dropped to 70%), and SB Top 75 who are confirmed to be continuing next season:

Dance - 37+9 = 46 teams for 60 spots
Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, Fear/Gibson, Hawayek/Baker, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Reed/Ambrulevicius, Lajoie/Lagha, Turkkila/Versluis, Taschlerova/Taschler, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Lopareva/Brissaud, Muramoto/Takahashi, Soucisse/Firus, Mueller/Dieck, Brown/Brown, Bashynska/Beaumont, Orihara/Pirinen, Kazakova/Reviya, Bratti/Somerville, Komatsubara/Koleto, Fabbri/Ayer, Pate/Bye, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Janse van Rensburg/Steffan, Lauriault/Le Gac, Cesanek/Yehorov, Wolfkostin/Chen, Harris/Chan, Demougeot/Le Mercier, Ling/Wein, Nosovitskaya/Nosovitsky, Chen/Sun, Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky, Polibina/Golovishnikov, Ignateva/Szemko
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Papadakis/Cizeron, Gilles/Poirier, Nazarova/Nikitin, Wang/Liu, Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Lagouge/Caffa, Sales/Wamsteeker, McNamara/Spiridonov, Tessari/Walker

Pairs - 23+6+7 = 36 teams for 48 spots
Miura/Kihara, Safina/Berulava, Hase/Seegert, Walsh/Michaud, Kovalev/Kovalev, Danilova/Tsiba, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Chan/Howe, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Conti/Macii, Metelkina/Parkman, Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore, McIntosh/Mimar, Matte/Ferland, McBeath/Barthlomay, Hocke/Kunkel, Zukova/Bidar, Smirnova/Siianytsia, Roscher/Schuster, Sierova/Khobta, Holichenko/Darenskiy, Chernyshova/Windsor, Crafoord/Crafoord
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Knierim/Frazier, James/Radford, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Wang/Huang, Caldara/Maglio
Teams eligible for Host spots - Proft/Nadeau, Zabiako/Daleman, Keriven/Bouvart, Piegad/Strekalin, Collier/Mitrofanov, Hanns/Neudecker, Plazas/Fernandez

Women - 40+9 = 49 skaters for 72 spots
Sakamoto, Hendrickx, You, Gubanova, H. Lee, Ryabova, Schott, Higuchi, Schizas, Kurakova, Mihara, Y. Kim, Thorngren, Petrokina, Matsuike, Levito, Kawabe, A. Shin, Kiibus, Glenn, M. Kim, C. Kim, Park, Pinzarrone, Yokoi, Mikutina, Seo, Paganini, Ruiter, Andrews, Repond, Ziegler, van Zundert, Brezinova, Sumiyoshi, Ji, Serna, Peltonen, Saarinen, Schumacher
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Bell, Chen, Lim, Kitromilis, Izzo, Daleman, Zhu, Wang, Sauter

Men - 43+9 = 52 skaters for 72 spots
Uno, Kagiyama, Pulkinen, Tomono, Grassl, Siao Him Fa, Malinin, Rizzo, Aymoz, Sadovsky, J. Cha, Levandi, Ma, Chiu, M. Selevko, Sato, Shaidorov, Tsuboi, Miura, Yamamoto, Miyake, Litvintsev, Frangipani, A. Selevko, S. Lee, Shimada, Zandron, Egadze, Gogolev, Reshtenko, Orzel, Hiwatashi, Phan, Britschgi, Carrillo, Shmuratko, Starostin, Circelli, Memola, Sjoberg, Kapeikis, Newberry, Guarino Sabate
Unknown status (either no official announcement yet or I don't follow them on IG) - Kvitelashvili, Vasilijevs, Brown, Messing, Hanyu, Jin, Kerry, Honda, Majorov
Vasiljevs has stated he plans to compete.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I just came here to post the Phil Hersh tweet.

Well at least we have a date now.

Karen-W

Whee! Just 17 days away! Can't wait!

I'm glad for the Finnish skaters (like Saarinen, Peltonen, Ceder, and Orihara/Pirinen) who will most likely get a host GP assignment at the very least (hopefully O/P will get a 2nd invitation since they're pretty high up on the SB Top 75 list).

ETA - Turkkila/Versluis should 2 get based on their Worlds results+retirements.

Last edited:

mikeko

Whee! Just 17 days away! Can't wait!

I'm glad for the Finnish skaters (like Saarinen, Peltonen, Ceder, and Orihara/Pirinen) who will most likely get a host GP assignment at the very least (hopefully O/P will get a 2nd invitation since they're pretty high up on the SB Top 75 list).

ETA - Turkkila/Versluis should 2 get based on their Worlds results+retirements.
I'm hoping Orihara/Pirinen will get invited to NHK Trophy.

alexikeguchi

I'm hoping that Donovan Carrillo gets at least one invitation (and that his skates make it with him). He has worked so hard to reach world class status, and he always looks like he is having the best time on the ice. With spectators back in the stands, I think he could be a big hit with the audience even if he finishes in the bottom half.

Karen-W

Can't help but feel like 30 June (or 1 July for me most likely) is going to be Doomsday. Questions will be answered. At least we will know, but I fear the answers.
Most definitely! I suspect we'll get answers on some of the skaters/teams who haven't made retirement announcements yet in the next couple weeks before the GP assignments are announced, which should help clear some things up.
I'm hoping that Donovan Carrillo gets at least one invitation (and that his skates make it with him). He has worked so hard to reach world class status, and he always looks like he is having the best time on the ice. With spectators back in the stands, I think he could be a big hit with the audience even if he finishes in the bottom half.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is invited to either SkAm or SCI. I suspect both feds would be happy to have him and know he will be popular with the audience. Plus, it's likely far cheaper to fly him in from Guadalajara to Boston or Toronto than a skater from overseas.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I want Aymoz and Vasiljevs and Mai Miahara at Skate America. 🙏 at least one of my favorites.
I want Kaori. Please! Obviously she will skate at NHK but she gets first choice of another assignment. I feel like sending her the song Please Come to Boston.

I’m also hoping both C/B and H/B are there. Lopareva/Brissaud and the Finns would be nice.

Dobre

Orihara & Pirinen should be fine for two berths. They're about 14th among the non-Russian, non-retired, non-split teams on the SB list. Plus they now have a host country that could trade a berth for them it it were necessary, which it shouldn't be. (On top of this, she skated for Japan & Canada in the past). And their results aren't very scary. Their SB score is from Warsaw Cup.

Karen-W

According to Phil Hersh Mariah and K/F want to skate on the grand prix. Nathan and Vincent do not.
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1537142422047793155?s=21&t=cKd0mocDEYTFNNz8bu6w0g
Any word about Karen Chen or Jason Brown?

Not surprised about Mariah. She could have an outside shot at a Worlds medal next season, especially with the new jump sequence rules.

Thrilled that it sounds like K/F are going to compete at least one more season!
I would assume then that Mariah and K/F (and C/B) will be at SA. Mariah is now seeded 3rd with Alysa's retirement, correct?

I'm also assuming Ilia will be there. And Camden, assuming he does the GP.
Yes, Mariah would be seeded 3rd. Seeing as she is National Champ and a top 1-3 seed, she'll definitely get SkAm. Same for K/F and C/B. Camden and Ilia are in different groupings for GP seeding, but, yes, I think we can expect that both of them will get SkAm, especially if Morisi Kvitelashvili does retire or skip the GP, which would then move Camden up to the 3rd seed overall.

I want Kaori. Please! Obviously she will skate at NHK but she gets first choice of another assignment. I feel like sending her the song Please Come to Boston.

I’m also hoping both C/B and H/B are there. Lopareva/Brissaud and the Finns would be nice.
Probably won't see Kaori since she and Mariah will be in the 1-3 grouping and those are most often separated. H/B are in the 4-6 grouping since H/D and S/D have both retired. SkAm is a definite possibility for them.

Careful wishing for Lopareva/Brissaud. We might get more Mambo Azerbaijano as a bonus since he's engaged to Ryabova, lol.

Orihara & Pirinen should be fine for two berths. They're about 14th among the non-Russian, non-retired, non-split teams on the SB list. Plus they now have a host country that could trade a berth for them it it were necessary, which it shouldn't be. (On top of this, she skated for Japan & Canada in the past). And their results aren't very scary. Their SB score is from Warsaw Cup.
NHK seems a pretty likely invitation for them. Good way to showcase a other Japanese skater in ice dance (even if she is skating for another country now), and they aren't likely to challenge or beat either M/T or KoKo. I could see the JSF and Finnish fed trading spots for KoKo and O/P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information