Chantastic....the return of Patrick

timmybopper

I love Patrick's skating and I've loved all of his programs... but this LP felt a little... boring? Maybe it's because I'm missing the usual rise and fall from pieces of music? And I struggled to find a melodic line to follow.. is it just me? My fear is that even if Patrick gets bad feedback on the program, he'll be hesitant to change it since so much was made about using Eric's composition and how Eric was so thrilled, etc.

Also: is it just me or are a lot of the moves from the first half of the LP similar to moves from last year's LP?

screech

I love Patrick's skating and I've loved all of his programs... but this LP felt a little... boring? Maybe it's because I'm missing the usual rise and fall from pieces of music? And I struggled to find a melodic line to follow.. is it just me? My fear is that even if Patrick gets bad feedback on the program, he'll be hesitant to change it since so much was made about using Eric's composition and how Eric was so thrilled, etc.
I mentioned in the Patrick coaching thread that I struggled to make it through this one (which has never been an issue for me in a Patrick program). To me, the music sounds like the instrumental score to a sappy movie. There's no doubting that Eric is a talented individual, but IMO this piece just doesn't work.

VarBar

I love Patrick's skating and I've loved all of his programs... but this LP felt a little... boring? Maybe it's because I'm missing the usual rise and fall from pieces of music? And I struggled to find a melodic line to follow.. is it just me?

No, it's not just you, timmybopper. It didn't excite me much either to watch Patrick skate to Eric's soft music for four minutes and a half, with little or no contrast between the various parts of the program. Maybe it would work for a short program but not for the free skate. Patrick is a powerful skater and needs powerful music to shine, that would also allow for some memorable footwork along the way. I'm not particularly thrilled with Black Bird either but that's just me, with very few exceptions I've never really enjoyed the music of The Beatles. Well, but at least he is not skating to Yellow Submarine. lol

My fear is that even if Patrick gets bad feedback on the program, he'll be hesitant to change it since so much was made about using Eric's composition and how Eric was so thrilled, etc.

I don't think he'll get negative feedback though for the quality of the music or the program. Let him nail his jumps and he'll be fine. His skating is just too beautiful for words.

Speaking of the music, I heard some of the worst pieces this season, especially in the singles. Samohin doing his SP to Tom Jones' Delilah was laughable. If a piece was or is a hit, it doesn't mean it's appropriate for competitive skating. Just MHO.

screech

There is a hell of a lot of Beatles, yet nobody uses what I think would be the best Beatles song to skate to - the (mostly) instrumental "The End" complete with drum solo (perfect for a combination spin) and back and forth guitar solos (perfect for a step sequence). It's short and would need to be paired with another piece (probably also from the Golden Slumbers medley) but it would make a fantastic program. I may or may not have mentally composed a routine to this piece.

(FYI, I could see Yuzuru Hanyu skating to it.)

blue_idealist

There is a hell of a lot of Beatles, yet nobody uses what I think would be the best Beatles song to skate to - the (mostly) instrumental "The End" complete with drum solo (perfect for a combination spin) and back and forth guitar solos (perfect for a step sequence). It's short and would need to be paired with another piece (probably also from the Golden Slumbers medley) but it would make a fantastic program. I may or may not have mentally composed a routine to this piece.

(FYI, I could see Yuzuru Hanyu skating to it.)

That might have been part of Navarro/Bommentre's FD one season?

clairecloutier

Fantastic interview with Patrick. It sounds, at least, like he is feeling a lot more grounded and calm than he did last year, which is great to hear. I am hopeful this coaching switch will be really positive for him. And it's really great to hear him speak so positively about training with Nathan. I think this is the first time Patrick has trained with another high-level singles skater since Colorado Springs, and if he stays open about it and doesn't feel threatened by Nathan, it can only help him. Also I loved hearing his remarks about Eric's music and how they're continuing to develop it. I personally really like the new LP a lot and can't wait to see it develop further. I am excited about Patrick's season. I don't think he'll be winning everything in sight necessarily, but as long as we see good performances, I'll be satisfied.

mollymgr

I happened to stumble upon this interview and my favorite part was this part by Chan. "The long program is composed by Eric Radford. A lot of people don’t know that he plays piano. He has achieved the highest level of certification in Canada, the World Conservatory of Music, he’s a master pianist. We were at a reception and there was a piano in the lobby and he started playing. I said, ‘this music is amazing, who is it and what is it’ and he said ‘I wrote what I’m playing’"
I'm always in awe when skaters excel not just at skating but at other things as well. That's just awesome.

kittysk8ts

I happened to stumble upon this interview and my favorite part was this part by Chan. "The long program is composed by Eric Radford. A lot of people don’t know that he plays piano. He has achieved the highest level of certification in Canada, the World Conservatory of Music, he’s a master pianist. We were at a reception and there was a piano in the lobby and he started playing. I said, ‘this music is amazing, who is it and what is it’ and he said ‘I wrote what I’m playing’"
I'm always in awe when skaters excel not just at skating but at other things as well. That's just awesome.
Meagan and Eric's short program a few years back was to music he composed :)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
He can also do an interview without making me :wall: it's the best Chan season ever so far from my perspective.

I think maybe people are looking a bit too much at the music itself, and not how naturally the way the music is phrased works with his skating/performing? Of course it's really boring music on its own, the whole point of the composition was to naturally highlight Patrick's strengths and it does so beautifully IMO. He's a pure skater, pure skaters do really boring classical/movie score type music the best out of anybody in skating.

I never would've liked Song of the Black Swan (or tons of other pieces she's done), but then Michelle Kwan skated to it and I saw the light. This program is a case where the skating/music works really well together and it has that same effect on me with the music.

Last edited:

screech

I like that Chan is being open about his relationship with Kathy - that it was a long time coming, a lot of fighting, and that the resignation wasn't a surprise, just an 'oh, it's actually happening!' And it's also great that he thinks they can still be friends.

Also interesting to hear that it was Slipchuck (et al) who suggested he skate alone for a bit. It seems almost crazy that so many of us were so flabbergasted when he was coach-less and thought he was being all 'high and mighty' about it, when it's now starting to seem that it was suggested to him, and he knew he wanted to stay where he is.

In any case, glad to hear that things seem to be going well for him, and I hope to see his 4S in Mississauga in 2 weeks!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

luckiest1

I've never seen Patrick look so happy in practice. He had a smile on his face every time he came to the boards to talk to Marina and Oleg. He seemed very on top of his jumps. My fingers are crossed for a good short program tomorrow. I kmow practices don't always translate to competition ice, but he seems to be in a good place mentally, which is great to see.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

cbd1235

I am not a fan of Patrick Chan. I have always had mad respect for his skating skills and abilities, but I find he skates detached from the music and he never inspires me. I would dare to say that in the past I have found him largely boring to watch.

But he made my eyes well a bit with his freeskate here, despite it not being a strong performance technically. I think this is one of the most beautiful skating programs I've ever seen, and I am shocked to be saying that. I cannot wait to see it next, and truly hope he performs it better. What a beautiful thing he's doing now.

VarBar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvvOT0BGPUw

Lovely skate from Patrick in the long program yesterday. Eric's A Journey must be his all-time favorite he's ever skated to because I don't think I've seen him so deeply involved with a piece of music before. He really captured all the nuances of the choreography and maintained the feeling throughout the entire program. The fall on the salchow and the popped jumps didn't ruin the performance for me. Hopefully he will not lose this gorgeous movement over the ice now that Kathy Johnson is not around him anymore. Patrick owes a great deal to Kathy artistically. Jumps...well, this is another story.:rolleyes:

But could I ask for a new free skate costume please? At least the top of the costume. A new shirt can't be THAT expensive.;)

Anyways, congratulations on the win, Patrick. Good job.

screech

Being there yesterday, you can absolutely see that Patrick is far and above the best 'skater' in the world. Hanyu's jumps may come a bit more easily (most of the time), but unless he's doing a choreographic moment, his head is down, arms dangling limply by his sides, and he's doing toe push power skating. Chan just moves flawlessly. And his transitions!!! IMO there's no way Hanyu's second mark should be as close to Chan as it is.

In the SP, Chan was completely detached from the music, though his skating skills are still sublime. The LP, I don't like the music, but the program is absolutely beautiful.

kittysk8ts

So happy he got the 4S out there. Despite the fall, he received the rotation credit and that is an accomplishment he needed now versus later and I am so proud of him for that. I cannot relate to comments that he doesn't interpret or is disconnected from the music. He interprets via movement and his absolute superior skating skills. We all know there are 2 kinds of interpretation; reaching OUT or drawing IN and Patrick does the latter. All in my respectful opinion, of course :)

screech

Usually I find that Patrick does interpret the music, but with his Beatles program, it wasn't a reaching out/drawing in thing, to me it was that there could have been absolutely any music playing as he skated. He skated just fine, but not with the music. People in the stands around me had noticed it as well.

On a different note, after the LP I thought it was going to be an Olympics situation - his for the taking after mistakes by Hanyu, but then making one too many mistakes. Luckily it worked out.

Usually I find that Patrick does interpret the music, but with his Beatles program, it wasn't a reaching out/drawing in thing, to me it was that there could have been absolutely any music playing as he skated. He skated just fine, but not with the music. People in the stands around me had noticed it as well.

On a different note, after the LP I thought it was going to be an Olympics situation - his for the taking after mistakes by Hanyu, but then making one too many mistakes. Luckily it worked out.
I'm very appreciative of your comments as they come from a person who was there and witnessed it live. Regarding Patrick's sp I came to the opposite opinion. I saw the Blackbird program on youtube where it was muted due to copyright and the program had no life. A few hours later on I watched the program again on Dailymotion where the music wasn't muted. WOW! I saw the choreographic touches and I came to the opinion that Patrick truly skates to a piece of music and interprets it.

When I first saw Blackbird a few years ago on YT as an exhibition I didn't like it. When I saw it live on SOI I loved it. I just remembered being in awe of Patrick's GLIDE.

Anyways, I'm going to be in Ottawa for the Nationals so I'll be able to see it live!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information